McMillen and Wife Steelers Message Board
1982 Steelers 26 vs Bengals 20 OT - Printable Version

+- McMillen and Wife Steelers Message Board (http://s675307413.onlinehome.us)
+-- Forum: Classic Steelers Game Broadcasts (http://s675307413.onlinehome.us/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Forum: 1981-1982 Assorted Steelers Game Threads (http://s675307413.onlinehome.us/forumdisplay.php?fid=25)
+--- Thread: 1982 Steelers 26 vs Bengals 20 OT (/showthread.php?tid=138)

1982 Steelers 26 vs Bengals 20 OT - mcmillenandwife - 05-09-2017

1982 Steelers 26 vs Bengals 20 OT

Franco Harris rushes for only 6 yds on 3 carries but catches a career-high 11 passes for 88 yds in a thriller. QBs Bradshaw & Anderson both do great Montana impressions, dinking & dunking their way up & down the field all afternoon for over 600 yds passing with shockingly little running involved (just 26 yds rushing for Pittsburgh and 69 yds for Cinci). But while Bradshaw throws 3 TD strikes and no INTs, Anderson is picked off 3 times (2 by Donnie Shell) including one in the end zone after Cinci had driven to the Steeler 3 yard line. Chris Collinsworth has a huge day (9 catches, 144 yds), but Jack Ham's consistent harassment of Anderson, a blocked chip-shot FG on the final play of regulation by Tom Beasley and Dwayne Woodruff's INT & subsequent return to the Bengal 2 in overtime are game-savers for the Steelers. On first and goal from the 2 in overtime, after a lengthy conference with Coach Chuck Noll during a timeout, Bradshaw surprisingly calls a pass play and hits Stallworth for a 2-yd TD to win it. After this game, unfortunately, the NFL players went on strike. Video features some nice pregame & haltime footage.  

RE: 1982 Steelers 26 vs Bengals 20 OT - Guest - 05-10-2017

(05-09-2017, 11:04 AM)mcmillenandwife Wrote: 1982 Steelers 26 vs Bengals 20 OT

Franco Harris catches a career-high 11 passes in a thriller! QBs Bradshaw & Anderson both do great Montana impressions, dinking & dunking their way up & down the field all afternoon. But while Bradshaw throws 3 TDs and no picks, Anderson throws 3 INTs, 2 by Donnie Shell including one in the endzone after Cinci had driven to the Steeler 3 yard line. Ham's consistent harassment of Anderson, a blocked chip-shot FG on the final play of regulation and Dwayne Woodruff's INT & subsequent return to the Bengal 4 in overtime are game-savers for the Steelers. After this game... the NFL players went on strike. :( Features some pregame & haltime stuff.

Our NBC station in Youngstown, Ohio (WFMJ-TV 21) had this game from Three Rivers Stadium.  WHAT A GAME!!!

RE: 1982 Steelers 26 vs Bengals 20 OT - mcmillenandwife - 12-16-2017

This game still rocks my world. Thumbsup Man... the moment when Woodruff picks off that pass in OT? Pure elation. We had a family of neighbor kids that were huge Cinci fans and they were SO mouthy coming into this game. Getting to rub their noses in it after this win was just spectacular.  Smokin

RE: 1982 Steelers 26 vs Bengals 20 OT - RJW - 01-15-2018

I swear one day if I ever get the time I'm going to figure out how many of our games Don Criqui did for NBC/CBS. 50? 100?