McMillen and Wife Steelers Message Board
Pats - Steelers pick - Printable Version

+- McMillen and Wife Steelers Message Board (http://s675307413.onlinehome.us)
+-- Forum: Mac and Wife's Steelers Message Board (http://s675307413.onlinehome.us/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Steelers Talk (http://s675307413.onlinehome.us/forumdisplay.php?fid=2)
+--- Thread: Pats - Steelers pick (/showthread.php?tid=1420)

Pats - Steelers pick - Rollers - 12-14-2018

Pats 34
Steelers 24

RE: Pats - Steelers pick - Cali-Steeler - 12-14-2018

Pats 44        Pittsburgh Tomlins  35

[attachment=216]

RE: Pats - Steelers pick - bksteeler - 12-14-2018

I wish I could say I have hope. This year, the AFC was really there for the taking. Had we taken care of business, we'd be right in line for a first seed at 10-2-1.

But we haven't, and my guess is we won't.

For some reason, we've given up on the run.
For some reason we haven't given up on Boswell.
For some reason we can't force turnovers.
For some reason, Tomlin makes these bizarre, unexplainable in-game decisions.
For some reason, Ben will look great and then throw these bizarre, inexcusable passes.
And on and on and on.

So...here's the prediction, we fall behind 14-0 or some other double-digit figure. We rally to make it close. And then with the game on the line, either Tomlin or Ben do something dumb, or Boswell misses a kick and we lose.

That's been the story of the season.

Patriots 24
Steelers 21

May I be proved wrong.

RE: Pats - Steelers pick - Cali-Steeler - 12-14-2018

(12-14-2018, 05:19 PM)bksteeler Wrote: I wish I could say I have hope. This year, the AFC was really there for the taking. Had we taken care of business, we'd be right in line for a first seed at 10-2-1.

But we haven't, and my guess is we won't.

For some reason, we've given up on the run.
For some reason we haven't given up on Boswell.
For some reason we can't force turnovers.
For some reason, Tomlin makes these bizarre, unexplainable in-game decisions.
For some reason, Ben will look great and then throw these bizarre, inexcusable passes.
And on and on and on.

So...here's the prediction, we fall behind 14-0 or some other double-digit figure. We rally to make it close. And then with the game on the line, either Tomlin or Ben do something dumb, or Boswell misses a kick and we lose.

That's been the story of the season.  

Patriots 24
Steelers 21

May I be proved wrong.

Belicheat and the Brady's are licking their chops at this game...

RE: Pats - Steelers pick - Garrett Garlits - 12-15-2018

Brady throws six interceptions, Ben throws six touchdown passes, and Boswell redeems himself by making four field goals. Belichick makes the day complete by fainting from shock at midfield after the game.

Steelers 62, Patriots 0.

RE: Pats - Steelers pick - Crash - 12-15-2018

Given up on the run how?

Be specific.

RE: Pats - Steelers pick - bbbooger - 12-15-2018

(12-14-2018, 03:02 PM)Cali-Steeler Wrote: ...        Pittsburgh Tomlins  35

Lol Lol  Funniest thing I've read all week!

My take: the only way Brady and Belicheat don't drop at least 42 on 'em is if they are already in run-out-the-clock mode by the middle of the third quarter. 
Anybody see that part of the Tomlins' solution to defending Gronk is gonna involve Artie... and Artie couldn't even prevent the geriatric Gates from converting a 2-pointer... Scary!

RE: Pats - Steelers pick - Chucktownsteeler - 12-15-2018

Steelers at home, prime time. Tough to call, my heart says Steelers, my brain says Pats.

RE: Pats - Steelers pick - bksteeler - 12-15-2018

(12-15-2018, 04:11 AM)Crash Wrote: Given up on the run how?  

Be specific.

Jax--> 11 rushes 26 yards, in a game in which we were close throughout the first half, and only fell behind 16-0 with 2:09 in the third.
Den--> 16 rushes 75 yards, in a game in which we led or were tied most of the way. No excuse there, we had success running. 
LA.--> 17 rushes 65 yards, again in a game in which we mostly led.
Oak--> 19 rushes 40 yards. Against a terrible run defense. 

Look, I'm not saying we should run on every first down. That can be counter-productive. But a little more mixing in of the run in favorable situations, i.e. an unloaded box, is a good thing.

Of course ,you can say Conner is injured. Fine. But he wasn't against Jacksonville, Denver, and L.A., and we still didn't run.

And if we cannot run against unloaded boxes, then I think we can toss this season to the winds. If that hasn't already happened.

I said be specific, and all you did is do what most do, give me the box score.

We were up 23-7 and had the ball to start the 2nd half against the Chargers.

What the box score doesn't tell you, is that we tried to run starting the 3rd quarter, but Ramon Foster's penalty wiped out a 22 yard gain to the Chargers 26. Punt.

What the box score also doesn't tell you, is that on their second drive after two 8 yard completions, Samuels ran for 1 yard.

Then on 2nd and 9, we completed a short screen pass to Conner, which is basically a running play, for 8 yards.

But wait, another holding penalty, this one on Villanueva, but he stood for the Anthem so he can't be bashed.

What did you expect them to do on 2nd and 19 on their own 20? Run the ball?

The one drive when they went 3 and out was the only bad drive of the half.

The next drive they scored a TD.

The Steelers had 15 first down plays in the first half.

11 passes, 4 runs, = 23 points.

BEFORE the last drive, the Steelers had six first down plays in the second half.

5 runs, 1 pass = 0 points, and the Chargers scored 23 unanswered points.

Then we put the ball back in #7's hands and they went right down the field and scored a TD only to see their defense in the 4th quarter, as they have since this overrated scheme was installed in 2004, give up points in the final minute.

The Steelers also lead the league in touchdowns scored on the final drive of the first half. They scored TD's in that same instance against Denver, SD, and Oakland.

What would you have liked for them to do? Pass and score? Or run the ball and quit?

The Chargers had 19 passes, and 17 rushes at one point last night.

They were down 21-7.

Then they unleashed their passing attack and won the game (Helped by the Chiefs running the ball on 1st down on the final series, for minus 3 yards with their backup running back).

RE: Pats - Steelers pick - bksteeler - 12-15-2018

1st quarter, first down and ten plays

Run-2 yards. Pass for first.
Pass-46 yards.

Leads to touchdown 7-0.

1st quarter, up 7-0 against LA.

Pass 4 yards. 2nd down pass for first down.
1st down incomplete. Run. Pass interference.
1st and goal, touchdown.

2nd quarter, up 13-7

Incomplete, convert third and two.
Run for 7. Run for first on second.
Incomplete. Convert third and 2.
Incomplete. Incomplete. Convert, third and ten.
Incomplete, incomplete. Horrible pick by Ben.

Still up 13-7.
Run 2 yards. Run 2 yards. Incomplete.

Still up 13-7. Ball at Charger 34 after fumble.
Incomplete, run 4 yards, incomplete. Field goal.

Two minute drill.
20 yard run to start.
Pass 4 yards. Pass for 16 yards and first.
Pass 6 yards. Incomplete. PI.
Pass touchdown 28 yards.

Third quarter, up 23-7.

Run for 1 yard. Pass for first down.
Run for 4 yards. Pass for first down.
Run for 6.
Penalty aborts drive. (Can we throw past the chains please?)

Third quarter up 23-15
Pass 8 yards. Pass for first down.
Run for 1. Penalty. Sack.

Fourth quarter 23-23
Run 5 yards. Incomplete. Incomplete.

Fourth quarter down 30-23.
Pass four yards. Pass first down.
Pass 15 yards.
Pass incomplete. Run on fourth down for first down.
Pass incomplete. Incomplete--penalty for first down.
Pass incomplete. Pass for 10 yards on second down.
Pass for six yards. Pass for touchdown on second down.

So, first down pass results.
9 of 18 for 121 yards.
Which means 9 times, we were facing a second and ten after passing on first down.
The obvious flip side, is that there is more potential for big plays. So there are pros and cons to throwing on first down. The Pass per attempt is pretty good. Plus we got a huge interference call as well (though that was on third down). Those big plays led to the first 13 we scored.

But if the run is the extension of the running game as Ben claims, you have to complete a lot more than 50 percent of your passes on first down.

And as I've said before, the more Ben passes, the more likely he's likely to throw a head-scratcher. Case in point, the pick drive. They threw nine straight times on that drive. They faced four second and ten's on that drive, and two third and tens, the latter which led to the pick by Ben.

Onto the runs,

Let's call anything under 4 yards (and not a touchdown) an unideal result, or simply, a "loss."

10 rushes.
6 "wins" 4 "losses," with all four being runs being one or two yards. But even with those "Losses", they're not as bad as the 9 "losses" we had on the incomplete passes on first down.

I will say it again: I'm not saying we should run every first down. But on the pick drive, had they run more, maybe the pick doesn't happen. On the field goal drive, maybe we don't go three and out. Even on the final touchdown drive, we faced three second and tens which are not ideal.

In short, keep passing, but let's try to keep the passing range between 35-40 instead of 45-55 so Ben has less chances to go Favre-esque on us.

Nice dodge of the 2nd half.  

You also didn't answer my questions of the end of halves.  

I hope Ben audibles to a run every play from now on in the final 2 minutes.  Just run the ball and go in.  

Fuck it, just sit Ben, sit Brown too, then trade them at the end of the year and play Dobbs and run the ball 50 times a game.

You may go 3-13, but at least they run more.

The ONLY time this shit defensive scheme took any heat in the Ben Era is when Haley was here, as I said it would.  Now he's gone, and we'e right back to the same free pass this defense has gotten for most of the Ben Era.

[Image: attachment.php?aid=216]

Oh shit! I just lost for the third time to a first year expansion team!

RE: Pats - Steelers pick - bksteeler - 12-16-2018

I don't know what you're talking about a dodge. I went through the second half drives too. They're all there.

Should we run with two minutes to go and trying to score? Periodically, sure, if the timeout situation is right, field position, etc. But I have no problems at all with the Steelers passing a lot in a two minute drill. Generally in that situation, you have to pick up chunk yards in a limited amount of time, and passing is generally the way to do that. But as Conner showed at the beginning of the drive, you can catch chunk plays on the ground too.

But the second half score to tie was not a two minute drill. Last I checked, it started with 8 minutes to go and ended with four.

You're upset, I get it. So I'll just leave it at that. I'm upset at the Steeler's performance too. But read carefully what I said, and I think you'll find I'm not saying what you seem to think I'm saying. I'm definitely NOT saying 3 yards and a cloud of dust. I'm not living in the 70s. By all means pass. Pass on first down too. All I'm saying is a few more runs and balance wouldn't hurt.

If you disagree with that, that's fine. We have a difference of opinion. Call me an idiot if you want, but that's how I feel.

Could I be wrong? Sure. I just don't think I am. Smile

And I'm sure you feel the same.

So just be glad the Steeler coaching staff doesn't pay attention to idiots like me. Smile