McMillen and Wife Steelers Message Board
Steelers sign Ben Roethlisberger to new contract for 2021 season - Printable Version

+- McMillen and Wife Steelers Message Board (http://s675307413.onlinehome.us)
+-- Forum: Mac and Wife's Steelers Message Board (http://s675307413.onlinehome.us/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Steelers Talk (http://s675307413.onlinehome.us/forumdisplay.php?fid=2)
+--- Thread: Steelers sign Ben Roethlisberger to new contract for 2021 season (/showthread.php?tid=2226)

Steelers sign Ben Roethlisberger to new contract for 2021 season - mcmillenandwife - 03-05-2021

Steelers sign Ben Roethlisberger to new contract for 2021 season

The Steelers and quarterback Ben Roethlisberger agreed on a new contract for the 2021 season on Thursday.  Thumbsup Pi_heartbeating Pi_bigsmile

The new agreement will bring Roethlisberger’s cap hit down from the $41.2 million hit that was on the books for 2021, but details of the new deal were not immediately known.

“It is my greatest honor to be a Pittsburgh Steeler and give my all for this organization,” Roethlisberger said in a statement released by the team. “I am grateful to be at this stage of my career and more than happy to adjust my contract in a way that best helps the team to address other players who are so vital to our success. I love this game and love to compete, and I believe in this team and my ability to deliver when called upon. It all starts with great preparation and I am ready to go.”

Roethlisberger had been due a $15 million roster bonus on March 19. The small details of the adjustment could give the Steelers as much as $13-14 million in cap space that is needed to get the team in cap compliance and to help sign other players in the coming days. The Steelers have 19 pending free agents. They also could be in the market for some outside free agents to fill some holes on their roster.

Steelers offensive tackle Chuks Okorafor is treated for an injury in the fourth quarter last season against the Bills. So far there have been three Pro Bowlers from the third round of the 2018 draft, which is where the Steelers picked Okorafor and Mason Rudolph. 
Brian Batko
Analysis: Time for Steelers to start seeing value out of mid-round draft picks
The 2021 free agency period begins March 17, the first day of the new league year.

“We are excited we were able to come to an agreement with Ben Roethlisberger on a new contract for him to return to the Steelers in 2021,” general manager Kevin Colbert said in a statement. “We know that Ben can still play at a high level and do special things for this team. Our goal remains the same — to put together a roster that will compete for another championship. We are happy that Ben will be one of our leaders to help us accomplish that goal.”

RE: Steelers sign Ben Roethlisberger to new contract for 2021 season - Cali-Steeler - 03-05-2021

. Finally~! Let's see what else the media can come up with to bash him? People straight just do not like Roethlisberger...

RE: Steelers sign Ben Roethlisberger to new contract for 2021 season - mcmillenandwife - 03-05-2021

(03-05-2021, 06:32 AM)Cali-Steeler Wrote: .

.   Finally~!   Let's see what else the media can come up with to bash him?  People straight just do not like Roethlisberger...

F#$% 'em. He's one of the few things I think is "right" about football right now.

RE: Steelers sign Ben Roethlisberger to new contract for 2021 season - RaynorShyne - 03-05-2021

(03-05-2021, 06:33 AM)mcmillenandwife Wrote:
(03-05-2021, 06:32 AM)Cali-Steeler Wrote: .

.   Finally~!   Let's see what else the media can come up with to bash him?  People straight just do not like Roethlisberger...

F#$% 'em. He's one of the few things I think is "right" about football right now.

Exactly - and Ben showed loyalty to the team.   This deal puts that capper on it for me.  Regardless of how he plays in 2021 - Ben's in the Top 7 all time.    If it was all about Money, he'd have forced them to release him and sign for bucks in Jacksonville or New York.

RE: Steelers sign Ben Roethlisberger to new contract for 2021 season - mcmillenandwife - 03-05-2021

(03-05-2021, 07:31 AM)RaynorShyne Wrote: Exactly - and Ben showed loyalty to the team.   This deal puts that capper on it for me.  Regardless of how he plays in 2021 - Ben's in the Top 7 all time.    If it was all about Money, he'd have forced them to release him and sign for bucks in Jacksonville or New York.

Agreed. A friend of the site sent me the complete 2020 season (which I boycotted) and I've been gradually catching up. Ben still has the goods to take a team to the Super Bowl. He could make a HUGE money grab going to a contender with QB problems. Or any team with QB problems, for that matter.

RE: Steelers sign Ben Roethlisberger to new contract for 2021 season - Chucktownsteeler - 03-06-2021

Yes, this entire offense was hamstrung the past 2 seasons with the Randy Offense. Ben still had a strong year with a suspect O-line, no running game to speak of and inept play calling. He dang near pulled them out of the hole in the Cleveland game but Tomlin punting on 4th and inches and the loss of Highsmith was simply too much to overcome. 

He may surprise many next season.

RE: Steelers sign Ben Roethlisberger to new contract for 2021 season - sandfan - 03-11-2021

We have ben able to enjoy the exploits of the best qb in team history. Bradshaw has 4 rings and therefore an argument can be made that he's #1. Ben will likely end up with only two but will hold every team record. He took up the mantle in his first season and never looked back. It will be a pleasure to watch him end his career in Pittsburgh and join others in Canton.

I don't know why there are so many haters. He's not perfect but, then again, who is. The man earned and deserves respect. He certainly has mine.

RE: Steelers sign Ben Roethlisberger to new contract for 2021 season - Rollers - 03-11-2021

they also resigned the fullback Watt. For what I don't know? Maybe they'll actually use him in some manner. He was one of the best fullbacks in the nfl before he signed with pittsburgh and then simply disappeared

RE: Steelers sign Ben Roethlisberger to new contract for 2021 season - Chucktownsteeler - 03-12-2021

I put it on the Randy offense. The past (2) seasons this offense has been stale and predictable. And those are the good points.

Randy was a Ben favorite that didn't pan out. If fact he was just horrible. I put him below Joe Walton on the OC all-time Steeler list. Look, we've all hired people that just don't work out and Randy was on of them. I've seen more diverse and prolific offenses on high school teams and just is not a joke.

I think we get better just by ridding ourselves of randy.