McMillen and Wife Steelers Message Board
JuJu signs 1-year deal with the Steelers for $8 million - Printable Version

+- McMillen and Wife Steelers Message Board (http://s675307413.onlinehome.us)
+-- Forum: Mac and Wife's Steelers Message Board (http://s675307413.onlinehome.us/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Steelers Talk (http://s675307413.onlinehome.us/forumdisplay.php?fid=2)
+--- Thread: JuJu signs 1-year deal with the Steelers for $8 million (/showthread.php?tid=2241)

JuJu signs 1-year deal with the Steelers for $8 million - Chucktownsteeler - 03-20-2021

Reports he turned down $13 -million from the Rats. Gotta to show some love for this kid. Finally a player that says it isn't all about money. 

STEELERS NEWS

Report: JuJu Smith-Schuster Signing One-Year Deal, Taking ‘Massive Paycut’ To Stay In Pittsburgh

More major news for the Pittsburgh Steelers. WR JuJu Smith-Schuster is reportedly signing a one-year deal with the team, per this tweet from NFL Network’s Taylor Bisciotti.

Quote:JuJu Smith-Schuster is returning to Pittsburgh on a 1 year deal, taking a massive paycut to return to his home over larger offers from divisional rivals and Super Bowl contenders to accommodate Pittsburgh’s tough cap situation. JuJu is staying home.
— Taylor Bisciotti (@TaylorBisciotti) March 19, 2021

She says Smith-Schuster turned down offers from divisional rivals to stay with Pittsburgh.

Smith-Schuster confirmed the news with this Wolf of Wall Street inspired tweet.

Quote:This is my home, they’re gonna need a wrecking ball to take me outta here! PITTSBURGH I LOVE YOU, LET’S GO!!!!! [Image: 1f49b.svg][Image: 1f5a4.svg][Image: 1f49b.svg][Image: 1f5a4.svg] pic.twitter.com/SPFvCLUmFl
— JuJu Smith-Schuster (@TeamJuJu) March 19, 2021

Quote:Can’t say it enough, I love you Pittsburgh. Came in here a young 20 year old and you guys embraced me from the moment I got here. So much love. Had my back thru everything, all the struggles and success. So hard to leave. See you this Fall in Heinz WE’RE GOIN CRAZY!!!
— JuJu Smith-Schuster (@TeamJuJu) March 19, 2021

Financial terms of the deal weren’t immediately released. We’ll update you when those numbers come in. It’s unclear if this deal will have any voidable years attached to it but it would make sense in order to keep his cap charge down even assuming Smith-Schuster took less money.

Biscotti tweets Smith-Schuster had offers from the Kansas City Chiefs and Baltimore Ravens. Smith-Schuster’s deal with Pittsburgh is one-year, $8 million.

Quote:Sources tell me these were the other offers
KC 8 mill with 3 mill incentives
Steelers 8 mill
Baltimore 9 mill 4 incentives

— Taylor Bisciotti (@TaylorBisciotti) March 19, 2021

Adam Schefter also reports the Philadelphia Eagles made a push to sign him.

Quote:JuJu Smith-Schuster also turned down more money on a multi-year deal from the Eagles than he took to return to the Steelers, per source. The Eagles’ were a secret suitor. But Smith-Schuster loved Pittsburgh and its fans too much to leave. https://t.co/X8gitZYxwd
— Adam Schefter (@AdamSchefter) March 19, 2021

Mike Garafolo reports the Steelers increased their offer from $7.5 million to $8 million. That was enough to seal the deal.

Quote:The #Steelers added $500k to their final offer to JuJu Smith-Schuster to push it over the finish line, source says. Went from $7.5 million to $8 million and it got done.
— Mike Garafolo (@MikeGarafolo) March 19, 2021

Smith-Schuster will be a free agent for the 2022 season. It’s clear he’s using this year to bet on himself and the salary cap shooting back up next spring. He’ll get to play with Ben Roethlisberger one more season and reassess his situation.
Developing story.

Read more: Report: JuJu Smith-Schuster Signing One-Year Deal, Taking 'Massive Paycut' To Stay In Pittsburgh - Steelers Depot

RE: JuJu signs 1-year deal with the Steelers for $8 million - Chucktownsteeler - 03-20-2021

They better take care of this kid next year. He put it on the line for them. 1 year deal is a huuuuuuuuuuugem risk.

RE: JuJu signs 1-year deal with the Steelers for $8 million - Chucktownsteeler - 03-20-2021

Way to go - JuJu! team first.

RE: JuJu signs 1-year deal with the Steelers for $8 million - mcmillenandwife - 03-20-2021

Pretty surprised and at least a little impressed that he did this. It's rare that players turn down more money, and the offers he had were significantly more. There's risk involved for him. It's the kind of move that will make him beloved again in Pittsburgh if he can keep the TikTok under control. 

One more year with Ben.

RE: JuJu signs 1-year deal with the Steelers for $8 million - Cali-Steeler - 03-20-2021

(03-20-2021, 12:15 PM)mcmillenandwife Wrote: Pretty surprised and at least a little impressed that he did this. It's rare that players turn down more money, and the offers he had were significantly more. There's risk involved for him. It's the kind of move that will make him beloved again in Pittsburgh if he can keep the TikTok under control. 

One more year with Ben.

> Agreed Tim.   He had 9 Mill on the table plus 4 Mill in incentives from the Rat-birds.  Money left on the table.  All I know is, I'm hoping he can get off blocks and get open down field. Something was a miss this year.

Maybe offensive game planning on the O.C. part? Or his dam attention away from games. > Not sure...

We need to fix the line so Ben has more than 2 seconds to throw the ball. Give the receivers some time to get open. Fixing the line takes precedence.

RE: JuJu signs 1-year deal with the Steelers for $8 million - mcmillenandwife - 03-20-2021

I haven't watched the whole 2020 season yet. Only a handful of games. From what I can see, there was ZERO running game because the O-line couldn't run block for $#!t. Agreed, the line needs major help.

RE: JuJu signs 1-year deal with the Steelers for $8 million - RaynorShyne - 03-20-2021

(03-20-2021, 12:15 PM)mcmillenandwife Wrote: Pretty surprised and at least a little impressed that he did this. It's rare that players turn down more money, and the offers he had were significantly more. There's risk involved for him. It's the kind of move that will make him beloved again in Pittsburgh if he can keep the TikTok under control. 

One more year with Ben.

Especially with the offer to play with Mahomes dangled out there.  He'd be a #2 to Hill....    

Impressed by JuJu.

RE: JuJu signs 1-year deal with the Steelers for $8 million - RaynorShyne - 03-20-2021

(03-20-2021, 12:39 PM)Chucktownsteeler Wrote: We need to fix the line so Ben has more than 2 seconds to throw the ball. Give the receivers some time to get open. Fixing the line takes precedence.

^^^ THIS^^^

RE: JuJu signs 1-year deal with the Steelers for $8 million - Chucktownsteeler - 03-23-2021

(03-20-2021, 02:27 PM)RaynorShyne Wrote:
(03-20-2021, 12:39 PM)Chucktownsteeler Wrote: We need to fix the line so Ben has more than 2 seconds to throw the ball. Give the receivers some time to get open. Fixing the line takes precedence.

^^^ THIS^^^

Plus, throwing the short 2 second, 3 yard route passes has the football trajectory very low and we saw towards the end of the season the opponents D-line timing the pass and knocking it down.

Time to upgrade the O-Line and this is a deep draft to do so.