McMillen and Wife Steelers Message Board
1994 Steelers 21 at Raiders 3 - Printable Version

+- McMillen and Wife Steelers Message Board (http://s675307413.onlinehome.us)
+-- Forum: Classic Steelers Game Broadcasts (http://s675307413.onlinehome.us/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Forum: 1994 Steelers Complete Season Game Threads (http://s675307413.onlinehome.us/forumdisplay.php?fid=13)
+--- Thread: 1994 Steelers 21 at Raiders 3 (/showthread.php?tid=254)

1994 Steelers 21 at Raiders 3 - mcmillenandwife - 07-03-2017

1994 Steelers 21 at Raiders 3

Once again, Blitzburgh's defense is simply amazing, adding 5 more sacks to their league-leading total. Jeff Hostetler takes a beating, finally succumbing to a Kevin Green hit and leaving the game with blurred vision. Mike Tomzcak suffers through a very shaky performance in relief of an injured Neil O'Donnell and Ron Erhardt calls some unbelievably questionable plays, but the Steelers avoid turnovers and the one-two punch of Foster and Morris eventually pounds the Raiders into submission. Network cuts away with 2 minutes remaining and the Steelers leading 21-3. 

RE: 1994 Steelers 21 at Raiders 3 - Garrett Garlits - 08-01-2017

At the end of this one, we get a brief clip of Bengals-Broncos, followed by highlights from NFL Prime Time.

I wonder why NBC switched games with the Steelers ahead by only eleven (it was only 14-3 at the time, Tim), even late in the game? The rule of thumb always was that one team had to have an eighteen-point fourth quarter lead (four possessions) in order for there to be a switch. Of course, the Steelers quickly scored their final touchdown to lead by eighteen, which made the whole argument moot.

RE: 1994 Steelers 21 at Raiders 3 - danderson400 - 08-02-2017

(08-01-2017, 03:07 AM)Garrett Garlits Wrote: At the end of this one, we get a brief clip of Bengals-Broncos, followed by highlights from NFL Prime Time.

I wonder why NBC switched games with the Steelers ahead by only eleven (it was only 14-3 at the time, Tim), even late in the game? The rule of thumb always was that one team had to have an eighteen-point fourth quarter lead (four possessions) in order for there to be a switch. Of course, the Steelers quickly scored their final touchdown to lead by eighteen, which made the whole argument moot.

The Steelers scored before NBC switched to the Bengals-Broncos game. Since that was a 18 point margin, and there was so little time left, they went ahead and switched. After the Bengals-Broncos game was over, they switched to the Chiefs-Seahawks game. That's what i remember from watching that day.

RE: 1994 Steelers 21 at Raiders 3 - danderson400 - 08-02-2017

Garrett, how long have the networks been switching away from blowout games to closer ones? Has it been since the 1970s or did that start in the 1980s?

RE: 1994 Steelers 21 at Raiders 3 - danderson400 - 08-03-2017

I've seen CBS switch late in a game when the margin got to 18 points a few times, so it's nothing new. In this case, NBC might have wanted to get to the Bengals-Broncos game sooner and an 18 point margin with 2 minutes left is safe usually.

RE: 1994 Steelers 21 at Raiders 3 - Guest - 08-28-2017

I was at this game the Steelers brutalized the raiders on both sides of the ball. I was busy fighting for my life late in the game cus I had my Steelers Jersey