Here's one of the best statements on Tomlin I've read
Rollers
Hall of Famer

03-29-2019, 11:02 PM

As Mark Kaboly with The Athletic so aptly stated, “Mike Tomlin is the master of speaking a lot of words without saying much.”
bbbooger
Hall of Famer

03-30-2019, 12:21 AM

Like I've always said: Coach Sound Bite
Chucktownsteeler
Hall of Famer

03-30-2019, 12:36 AM

But, but, but, but he's never had a losing season.

Next - Minkah, #39!
  [Image: chucktown_sig_pic.jpg]
dbsfgyd1
Hall of Famer

03-30-2019, 11:01 AM

To quote Chuck Noll on dealing with the media:” Treat them like mushrooms. Keep them in the dark and feed them manure.” Apparently it was a lesson well learned. Funny, nobody complains much about St. Belichek not saying much either, albeit with less words....

Speaking of the media, what have they done lately to deserve any respect? No wonder Tomlin doesn’t say much. They are mostly a collection of hacks in the business of selling ad space and hits on the internet.
Rollers
Hall of Famer

03-30-2019, 11:15 AM

(03-30-2019, 11:01 AM)dbsfgyd1 Wrote: To quote Chuck Noll  on dealing with the media:” Treat them  like mushrooms. Keep them in the dark and feed them manure.”  Apparently it was a lesson well learned. Funny, nobody complains much about St. Belichek not saying much either, albeit with less words....

Speaking of the media, what have they done lately to deserve any respect? No wonder Tomlin doesn’t say much. They are mostly a collection of hacks in the business of selling ad space and hits on the internet.

i'm not complaining about him saying little.  I'm sick to death of hearing him wax eloquent and say nothing.  I'd rather he kept his mouth shut like belichick and I'd be fine with that.
Garrett Garlits
All Pro Veteran

03-30-2019, 12:01 PM

What exactly about Tomlin saying words of over two syllables bothers people so much? Belichick hardly sounds like a human being with his grunts, groans, and monosyllables. He's worse than Noll ever was; at least Noll treated the writers professionally even if he gave them nothing of substance.

Winning football games is all well and good, but I'm absolutely not kidding when I say that if I was an NFL owner, I'd take one Super Bowl and a perennial contender done honestly and with someone I can count on to represent me and my product in the community (Tomlin) over six Super Bowls with a known cheater who only got away with his cheating because the league's only real option was to vacate at least two of those Super Bowls (Belichick). And let's not forget a third one which he only got to because his star quarterback deflated footballs and then threw away his cell phone deliberately to avoid having to answer the league's questions.

Being the best means nothing if you have to cheat to get there, and the Patriots certainly have done so in the past and may very well do so again in the future. They are not deserving of admiration, respect, or any damn thing else but scorn and revulsion, especially in the eyes of anyone who claims to be a Steeler fan. Remember, it was the Steelers who were cheated out of at least one Super Bowl trip, no matter what Bill Cowher and Dan Rooney might have said afterward to cover the league's collective ass. If that's being the best, take it and good luck to you, because I don't want it, and I can't see why anyone with a moral compass of any kind would.
Rollers
Hall of Famer

03-31-2019, 11:32 AM

(03-30-2019, 12:01 PM)Garrett Garlits Wrote: What exactly about Tomlin saying words of over two syllables bothers people so much? Belichick hardly sounds like a human being with his grunts, groans, and monosyllables.  He's worse than Noll ever was; at least Noll treated the writers professionally even if he gave them nothing of substance.

Winning football games is all well and good, but I'm absolutely not kidding when I say that if I was an NFL owner, I'd take one Super Bowl and a perennial contender done honestly and with someone I can count on to represent me and my product in the community (Tomlin) over six Super Bowls with a known cheater who only got away with his cheating because the league's only real option was to vacate at least two of those Super Bowls (Belichick). And let's not forget a third one which he only got to because his star quarterback deflated footballs and then threw away his cell phone deliberately to avoid having to answer the league's questions.

Being the best means nothing if you have to cheat to get there, and the Patriots certainly have done so in the past and may very well do so again in the future. They are not deserving of admiration, respect, or any damn thing else but scorn and revulsion, especially in the eyes of anyone who claims to be a Steeler fan. Remember, it was the Steelers who were cheated out of at least one Super Bowl trip, no matter what Bill Cowher and Dan Rooney might have said afterward to cover the league's collective ass. If that's being the best, take it and good luck to you, because I don't want it, and I can't see why anyone with a moral compass of any kind would.

yeah let's keep the guy with 3 playoff wins in 8 years.  How about we look for a guy like Noll that won without cheating and dump Tomlin tomorrow?  Naw we'll just draw the false analogy with Belichick.  As to his use of words with more than two syllables when those words lead to a well disciplined team that comes to play every game then I'll accept what he says.  How many challenges has he won this year?  How bout that Raider's game eh?  Well played well prepared.  The 1st Brown's game was off the charts good as well.  Yeah he's a great coach.  But hey I'm glad you're good with that long ago superbowl.  That's the Steelers way now.  Get a participation trophy and don't have a losing season in the REGULAR season.  I should have seen that long ago.  Thanks buddy!!!!!
Garrett Garlits
All Pro Veteran

03-31-2019, 12:59 PM

I notice that you used the same two or three on-field examples from last year (2018) to criticize Tomlin and ignored my assertion that I'll gladly accept Tomlin's on-field errors and lack of championships because he represents the Steelers as they should be represented off the field and follows the rules on the field (as Noll did too; remember, steroids were perfectly legal in the seventies). If all that gets the team is a string of "participation trophies", then so be it.

I don't think it's possible for another Noll type to win in the NFL today without cheating as Belichick did, and I'd rather stay with Tomlin than take a chance on trying to find one and coming up short. Believe me, the day the Steelers go 6-10 again, you and every other fan on this board (including me) will be begging for Tomlin's regular season win record, and you won't be worried about whether postseason success goes with it.
(This post was last modified: 03-31-2019, 05:30 PM by Garrett Garlits.)
Rollers
Hall of Famer

03-31-2019, 09:38 PM

(03-31-2019, 12:59 PM)Garrett Garlits Wrote: I notice that you used the same two or three on-field examples from last year (2018) to criticize Tomlin and ignored my assertion that I'll gladly accept Tomlin's on-field errors and lack of championships because he represents the Steelers as they should be represented off the field and follows the rules on the field (as Noll did too; remember, steroids were perfectly legal in the seventies). If all that gets the team is a string of "participation trophies", then so be it.  

I don't think it's possible for another Noll type to win in the NFL today without cheating as Belichick did, and I'd rather stay with Tomlin than take a chance on trying to find one and coming up short. Believe me, the day the Steelers go 6-10 again, you and every other fan on this board (including me) will be begging for Tomlin's regular season win record, and you won't be worried about whether postseason success goes with it.

you're right.  i don't care about post season success.  I should have remembered that.  I enjoy winning 3 playoff games in the last 8 years.  Those "two' examples from this year I gave you kept us out of the post season this year.  I'm glad you're good with tomlin.  You should be happy with our record and our post season successes the last 8 years.  After all he never had a losing regular season right?  Course he doesn't have a good QB, never had a good running back, never had a decent receiver, horrible offensive line forever and on and on.  I'm so glad you pointed all that out to me.  I feel MUCH better now!!!  Buddy!!! How bout that Jags playoff game at home in 2017? EPIC! THen we get 2 wins in 2016 and trounced by the Pats. Then in 2015 we get a win in the wild card against the bengals and then lose to the Broncos!!!! NIce exit there, 2014 get bounced by the Ravens and on and on from there. But hey we did great in the regular season! I feel better now! 2013? No playoffs. 4 straight losses to open the year. Great season there. 2012? 8 and 8. I'm done with tomlin. two years in a row at 8 - 8 sure felt like two losing seasons but hey the numbers speak for themselves. I'm good not that you explained it so well though. Thanks buddy!!!
(This post was last modified: 04-01-2019, 08:08 AM by Rollers.)
dbsfgyd1
Hall of Famer

04-01-2019, 08:03 AM

(03-31-2019, 09:38 PM)Rollers Wrote:
(03-31-2019, 12:59 PM)Garrett Garlits Wrote: I notice that you used the same two or three on-field examples from last year (2018) to criticize Tomlin and ignored my assertion that I'll gladly accept Tomlin's on-field errors and lack of championships because he represents the Steelers as they should be represented off the field and follows the rules on the field (as Noll did too; remember, steroids were perfectly legal in the seventies). If all that gets the team is a string of "participation trophies", then so be it.  

you're right.  i don't care about post season success.  I should have remembered that.  I enjoy winning 3 playoff games in the last 8 years.  Those "two' examples from this year I gave you kept us out of the post season this year.  I'm glad you're good with tomlin.  You should be happy with our record and our post season successes the last 8 years.  After all he never had a losing regular season right?  Course he doesn't have a good QB, never had a good running back, never had a decent receiver, horrible offensive line forever and on and on.  I'm so glad you pointed all that out to me.  I feel MUCH better now!!!  Buddy!!!

Hey, I love stats as much as the next guy, but why stop at 8 years back? If you go back a full ten, you might have to acknowledge a two Super Bowl apperarences with one win? Wouldn’t help your case much....yeah, I know. What have you done for me lately...I get it...

Just dreadful....
Rollers
Hall of Famer

04-01-2019, 08:16 AM

(04-01-2019, 08:03 AM)dbsfgyd1 Wrote:
(03-31-2019, 09:38 PM)Rollers Wrote:

you're right.  i don't care about post season success.  I should have remembered that.  I enjoy winning 3 playoff games in the last 8 years.  Those "two' examples from this year I gave you kept us out of the post season this year.  I'm glad you're good with tomlin.  You should be happy with our record and our post season successes the last 8 years.  After all he never had a losing regular season right?  Course he doesn't have a good QB, never had a good running back, never had a decent receiver, horrible offensive line forever and on and on.  I'm so glad you pointed all that out to me.  I feel MUCH better now!!!  Buddy!!!

Hey, I love stats as much as the next guy, but why stop at 8 years back? If you go back a full ten, you might have to acknowledge a two Super Bowl apperarences with one win? Wouldn’t help your case much....yeah, I know. What have you done for me lately...I get it...

Just dreadful....

I have always given him credit for those wins.  So save your sarcasm.  I don't need any help with my position.  He has lost this team and squandered the talent we've had for years now with his sub par coaching.  Andy you are absolutely right.  What has he done lately?  You happy with the last 8 years?  3 playoff wins? I'm glad you are with him on that.  I'm glad you're ok with this level of play.  You'll get a lot more of it next year.  I refuse to fold on next year but i have zero hope that Tomlin will do anything to turn this thing around.  We will have less talent next year on offense and will waste yet another year of Ben's remaining years in the NFL.  But hey you're right 10 years ago he did a pretty good job right?  I'm good with that.  His tenure has ended in all but him being fired.  His coaching staff is weak and he refuses to make any changes.  Good times
Garrett Garlits
All Pro Veteran

04-01-2019, 08:46 AM

Ben Roethlisberger's career has NOT been wasted. The only way he won't be a first-ballot Hall of Famer is if he and Tom Brady retire in the same year, in which case he'll go in the year after. Every quarterback who's ever played could have more titles than they ended up with; hell, Brady himself could have eight if not for a couple of miracle catches by the Giants. But once you reach the top, which Ben did years ago, you can only add to what you already have; there are no higher mountains to climb.

You know who else is going to be a Hall of Famer? Mike Tomlin. He could stop coaching tomorrow and he'd get in within five years, and no matter how much you and others may pray for it he's NOT going to stop tomorrow. He's going to coach at least another ten years, and if he gets another Super Bowl or two he'll be as much of a shoo-in as Belichick. Even if he doesn't, what other coach from this era is remotely Hall of Fame worthy? Belichick's a given, but who else? Andy Reid, possibly. Tom Coughlin could make it if he turns Jacksonville back around, but even then he's in the front office, not on the sidelines. The other veterans are too up-and-down; John Harbaugh and Pete Carroll would be good bets if they win another championship, but time's running out on Carroll in particular. The jury's still out on everyone else.

Finally, Rollers, you refuse to give up hope for next year but you have no confidence that Tomlin's going to turn it around? Do you expect Ben to provide most of the coaching AND play quarterback, or are you so desperate to run down a future Hall of Fame coach that you'll talk out of both sides of your mouth to do it?

I forgot to say that Colbert's a good bet to make the Hall of Fame as well, especially if the Steelers win at least one more Super Bowl. I don't know about Art II; he has two huge pairs of shoes to fill, both with the Steelers and the league as a whole.
(This post was last modified: 04-01-2019, 08:48 AM by Garrett Garlits.)
Rollers
Hall of Famer

04-01-2019, 09:18 AM

(04-01-2019, 08:46 AM)Garrett Garlits Wrote: Ben Roethlisberger's career has NOT been wasted. The only way he won't be a first-ballot Hall of Famer is if he and Tom Brady retire in the same year, in which case he'll go in the year after. Every quarterback who's ever played could have more titles than they ended up with; hell, Brady himself could have eight if not for a couple of miracle catches by the Giants. But once you reach the top, which Ben did years ago, you can only add to what you already have; there are no higher mountains to climb.

You know who else is going to be a Hall of Famer? Mike Tomlin. He could stop coaching tomorrow and he'd get in within five years, and no matter how much you and others may pray for it he's NOT going to stop tomorrow. He's going to coach at least another ten years, and if he gets another Super Bowl or two he'll be as much of a shoo-in as Belichick. Even if he doesn't, what other coach from this era is remotely Hall of Fame worthy? Belichick's a given, but who else? Andy Reid, possibly. Tom Coughlin could make it if he turns Jacksonville back around, but even then he's in the front office, not on the sidelines. The other veterans are too up-and-down; John Harbaugh and Pete Carroll would be good bets if they win another championship, but time's running out on Carroll in particular. The jury's still out on everyone else.

Finally, Rollers, you refuse to give up hope for next year but you have no confidence that Tomlin's going to turn it around? Do you expect Ben to provide most of the coaching AND play quarterback, or are you so desperate to run down a future Hall of Fame coach that you'll talk out of both sides of your mouth to do it?

I forgot to say that Colbert's a good bet to make the Hall of Fame as well, especially if the Steelers win at least one more Super Bowl. I don't know about Art II; he has two huge pairs of shoes to fill, both with the Steelers and the league as a whole.

Just like a player that makes the hall that played to long so has Tomlin.  He's done.  He has lost this team.  Who cares if he makes the hall of fame based on his past?  Hope he does make it.  But he is done with this team.  I hope to eat my words next year but I"m betting after the last 8 years I'm safe.  We'll see
sandfan
Hall of Famer

04-01-2019, 09:09 PM

Hey, let's not forget. He's never had a losing season. Apparently that's the new standard.

Debates re a hall of fame spot can only be settled via a vote. There are lots of opinions re Tomlin. His record over the last 8 years, with supposedly a sure shot HOF QB, hardly gives me confidence in his election. Then again, the Rooney rule is likely to play a major role in the process. It sure did a dozen or so years ago.