Haley on his way out?
Cali-Steeler
Hall of Famer

10-09-2017, 12:39 PM

That would be interesting...  >  >  >

Link >       Haley on his way out?
(This post was last modified: 10-09-2017, 12:40 PM by Cali-Steeler.)
Crash
Hall of Famer

10-09-2017, 01:14 PM

Fake account
mcmillenandwife
Administrator

10-09-2017, 01:22 PM

Mikey Slater has my vote.  Laugh
Crash
Hall of Famer

10-09-2017, 01:28 PM

Here's Haley in a nutshell.

2nd and 3rd and goal from the 5 with a chance to take the lead.

Bell is lined up as a WR on the right on 2nd down.

Bell is lined up as a WR on the left on 3rd down.

Who's in the backfield? Watson? Nope.

Conner? Nope.

Haley inserts Roosevelt Nix, who, in three years, has ZERO RUSHING ATTEMPTS.

And Haley actually thought the Jags would play the run honestly there? It's just idiocy.

But this is who Art II hired.

And Ben's career paid the price.

The way the fan base has turned on Ben makes me sick. They never deserved the success that Ben brought this team.
Cali-Steeler
Hall of Famer

10-09-2017, 01:50 PM

(10-09-2017, 01:22 PM)mcmillenandwife Wrote: Mikey Slater has my vote.  Laugh

Roll Biggrin
mcmillenandwife
Administrator

10-09-2017, 04:04 PM

(10-09-2017, 01:28 PM)Crash Wrote: The way the fan base has turned on Ben makes me sick.  They never deserved the success that Ben brought this team.

Has the fan base turned on Ben? I'm not in Pittsburgh to see it. My sense is that people are still basically behind Ben, giving him the benefit of the doubt. I'm sure there's a small, very vocal hate-filled group on the web, but isn't that always the case?

On the other hand, it's the same fan base (at least to some degree) that booed Bradshaw even after he'd won four Super Bowls.  Eyes

No question, Ben hasn't played up to his lofty standards this year. But I think most people view Ben's struggles as a symptom of bigger systematic issues on offense rather than the root cause of those problems. And yesterday was an aberration.
dbsfgyd1
Hall of Famer

10-09-2017, 09:42 PM

(10-09-2017, 04:04 PM)mcmillenandwife Wrote:
(10-09-2017, 01:28 PM)Crash Wrote: The way the fan base has turned on Ben makes me sick.  They never deserved the success that Ben brought this team.

Has the fan base turned on Ben? I'm not in Pittsburgh to see it. My sense is that people are still basically behind Ben, giving him the benefit of the doubt. I'm sure there's a small, very vocal hate-filled group on the web, but isn't that always the case?

On the other hand, it's the same fan base (at least to some degree) that booed Bradshaw even after he'd won four Super Bowls.  Eyes

No question, Ben hasn't played up to his lofty standards this year. But I think most people view Ben's struggles as a symptom of bigger systematic issues on offense rather than the root cause of those problems. And yesterday was an aberration.
I dunno.. I’m not in the Burgh but Ben tossed a Roeth-listless-berger of a game if I ever saw one. Not taking anything away from Jacksonville, but  when you lose the turnover battle to a great defensive effort, it’s pretty hard to win. If two of those of those are returned for pick sixes, it’s over.
mcmillenandwife
Administrator

10-09-2017, 09:59 PM

(10-09-2017, 09:42 PM)dbsfgyd1 Wrote: I dunno.. I’m not in the Burgh but Ben tossed a Roeth-listless-berger of a game if I ever saw one. Not taking anything away from Jacksonville, but  when you lose the turnover battle to a great defensive effort, it’s pretty hard to win. If two of those of those are returned for pick sixes, it’s over.

It was a bad game for Ben, no doubt. But 2 of the INTs came off tipped passes (including a pick 6) and the other pick 6 came when Ben threw to a receiver who wasn't there because he fell down.

Of the 5 INTs, 2 were definitely "on" Ben in my opinion: the first one, forced into coverage under a crazy pass rush when he should've just eaten the ball, and the tipped INT that wasn't returned for a pick 6, because he forced it into a crowd. The others weren't on him. The final pick was just a desperation throw into the end zone at the end, and frankly, I give Ben credit for throwing that pass because I think a lot of QB's wouldn't even attempt it in a "lost cause" game because of how it might look on the stat sheet. 

Ben is not having a good season, and he just had one of the worst games of his career... but I still don't think the problem is Ben. His performance is a symptom.
mcmillenandwife
Administrator

10-09-2017, 10:10 PM

Here's what I wanna come back to:

Martavis Bryant: 8 targets, 5 catches for 21 yards.

That's a 4.2 yd avg. per catch, folks. That's not a bad rushing avg. for a running back... but this is the big, fast WR who's supposed to be the one taking the top off defenses. WTF is THAT??? 

Some of that is definitely on Bryant... but I saw him run at least 4 crossing routes right along the line of scrimmage yesterday. I think at least 2 of his catches were for negative yards and all of them were either shallow crossing routes or little bubble screens. Again... WTF is THAT???

And was AB happier this week since he got his catches? Does he give a shit that we lost, or is he okay now because Ben looked his way?
Cali-Steeler
Hall of Famer

10-09-2017, 10:23 PM

Bens first pick-six in four years, 2,262 attempts I think its combination of a bad day coming for Ben and the Offense is not simplified. I think the locker-room is beginning to deteriorate. I think with all the passes AB has caught over the years he's frustrated with this system. I think Ben's had enough of the Haley bull $hi7 as well. Think about it? All the play calling we see as fans seem kind of no hidden secrete of what they want to do each down. Yesterday was a result of everything failing - including Big Ben.
Wth is going on with our defensive coordinator? in the end, - Jags ran away with it... literally Ben's not finished by far. I do think Haley's dividing that locker room though. Some things up with all the players and it falls on coaching.
dbsfgyd1
Hall of Famer

10-09-2017, 10:26 PM

(10-09-2017, 09:59 PM)mcmillenandwife Wrote:
(10-09-2017, 09:42 PM)dbsfgyd1 Wrote: I dunno.. I’m not in the Burgh but Ben tossed a Roeth-listless-berger of a game if I ever saw one. Not taking anything away from Jacksonville, but  when you lose the turnover battle to a great defensive effort, it’s pretty hard to win. If two of those of those are returned for pick sixes, it’s over.

It was a bad game for Ben, no doubt. But 2 of the INTs came off tipped passes (including a pick 6) and the other pick 6 came when Ben threw to a receiver who wasn't there because he fell down.

Of the 5 INTs, 2 were definitely "on" Ben in my opinion: the first one, forced into coverage under a crazy pass rush when he should've just eaten the ball, and the tipped INT that wasn't returned for a pick 6, because he forced it into a crowd. The others weren't on him. The final pick was just a desperation throw into the end zone at the end, and frankly, I give Ben credit for throwing that pass because I think a lot of QB's wouldn't even attempt it in a "lost cause" game because of how it might look on the stat sheet. 

Ben is not having a good season, and he just had one of the worst games of his career... but I still don't think the problem is Ben. His performance is a symptom.

Ben’s ball placement has been atrocious this year. If you watched the Green Bay, Dallas game last night you know what I’m talking about. This isn’t a one game aberration. What it looks like is they or he is not practicing the passing game much. Ben still has the gun, but the timing is way off.
RaynorShyne
Hall of Famer

10-10-2017, 12:27 AM

Jacksonville has the 31st ranked rushing defense in the NFL - surrendering 146.4 yrds/game.

Including a 1yd run by our QB, Pittsburgh rushed the ball 20 times.  

"I'mma need 17, cuz 26 is savage" didn't get 17 attempts.  Only 15  for 47 yards (3.35/per).  Not very savage.  

HOWEVER, our 35-year-old-not-sharp-this-season QB drops back FIFTY-FIVE times?   

uhhhhhhhhhhh...........

Thumbdown

...but the part that bothered me the most was the defense quitting on the Fournette run after the 2:00 break.  That was JV bullshit.
(This post was last modified: 10-10-2017, 12:29 AM by RaynorShyne.)
Chucktownsteeler
Hall of Famer

10-10-2017, 02:19 AM

This is a little on Ben, but I'm not absolving the O.L. either. They have been terrible at best. The 1 pick Ju-Ju's feet got tangled with the defender and he went down. I guess in the ref's judgement it was incidental contact. No flag. A couple of the int's were tipped, can't pin that on Ben. That's good D-line awareness and the O.L. not staying engaged.

The play-calling has been beaten to death, no sense rehashing it.

I see Ben starting next week, no doubt.

Bell did look a little better, though he didn't get enough touches, IMHO. 

As I stated in my game-day check-in, the Jags defense is no slouch and they are an improved team. Ask the Rats. 

C-town

Next - Minkah, #39!
  [Image: chucktown_sig_pic.jpg]
(This post was last modified: 10-10-2017, 02:22 AM by Chucktownsteeler.)
Chucktownsteeler
Hall of Famer

10-10-2017, 02:26 AM

This is what is needed by Tomlin:

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/17761...mornhinweg

Too many weapons on this offense to be performing this badly.

Next - Minkah, #39!
Crash
Hall of Famer

10-10-2017, 03:17 AM

(10-09-2017, 10:26 PM)dbsfgyd1 Wrote:
(10-09-2017, 09:59 PM)mcmillenandwife Wrote:

Ben’s ball placement has been atrocious this year. If you watched the Green Bay, Dallas game last night you know what I’m talking about. This isn’t a one game aberration. What it looks like is they or he is not practicing the passing game much. Ben still has the gun, but the timing is way off.

The timing is always off, that happens when the pieces keep changing minus #84 and #81.  

JuJu actually had more snaps than Bryant did yesterday.  That's just silly.  Not another team in this league sits their #2 WR for 65 snaps in three weeks.  

Coates is gone, Eli doesn't play anymore.  

And scrubs like Nix, Finney, and McDonald do.  

Toddy loves his 2-3 TE set playbook.  That's HIS offense, HIS preferred set.  

So Ben's career suffers as a result.  

Haley's too worried about getting credit.  

Ben just wants to win.  

Ben will play in 2018.  If Haley remains?  He'll play elsewhere just to prove to the ungrateful assholes in this fan base just where the problem lies.
Chucktownsteeler
Hall of Famer

10-10-2017, 03:58 AM

Our current group of T.E.s are the worst I've since the Noll years. Bell was on a sweep yesterday and JJ ran tight past the Jag he should have blocked.

Next year are #1 and #2 picks need to be QB and TE.

C-town

Next - Minkah, #39!
Crash
Hall of Famer

10-10-2017, 04:10 AM

(10-10-2017, 02:26 AM)Chucktownsteeler Wrote: This is what is needed by Tomlin:

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/17761...mornhinweg

Too many weapons on this offense to be performing this badly.

What weapons?  

You have Bell, Bryant, Brown, and James.  

Eli doesn't play (Ben likes him).

McDonald is a scrub.  

Nix is a scrub. 

DHB is a scrub.  

Hunter doesn't play (Ben likes him)

Conner doesn't play (Ben likes him).  

When you have an OC who's more worried about getting credit than winning? This happens.
Crash
Hall of Famer

10-10-2017, 04:12 AM

(10-10-2017, 03:58 AM)Chucktownsteeler Wrote: Our current group of T.E.s are the worst I've since the Noll years. Bell was on a sweep yesterday and JJ ran tight past the Jag he should have blocked.

Next year are #1 and #2 picks need to be QB and TE.

C-town

JJ hasn't made that block in 3 years.  

Haley still insists on having him try and do it.  

I don't draft any franchise QB's until Todd Haley is gone.  

I wouldn't let him work in the cafeteria, much less groom Ben's replacement.
Garrett Garlits
All Pro Veteran

10-10-2017, 06:12 AM

Ben's not going anywhere except to retirement. Art would be an idiot to agree to trade him with Landry Jones as his main backup, and while he's neither his father nor his grandfather as far as being a football guy goes, he's far from an idiot. He thought he was doing the right thing by ordering Arians fired and Haley hired, and while it hasn't exactly worked out well, it wasn't a deliberately poor decision either.

If Haley's worried about getting credit, he's in the wrong organization. Tomlin gets almost all the credit and takes almost all the public (non-fan) blame when it comes to the coaching staff. The only exception to this rule was Dick LeBeau, who's practically been around since God invented George Halas. What we the unwashed say really carries no weight; in the eyes of those that matter, Tomlin is the one and only head of this team, responsible for both offense and defense, and he wants it that way.
sandfan
Hall of Famer

10-10-2017, 07:49 AM

I agree with Harry Truman. The buck stops here and that's with Tomlin, not Haley.
Crash
Hall of Famer

10-10-2017, 10:51 AM

Tomlin didn't hire Haley.

The owner did.

And this team hasn't been the same since.

He made Tomlin look like a fool.

Art II has proven he's already an idiot. Three SB trips in 8 years, and somehow that wasn't good enough.

If his last name were Snyder or Jones? Steeler Nation would laugh at them.

Somehow Art II gets a free pass.

And Tomlin and Ben's legacy's are damaged forever because of him.
Crash
Hall of Famer

10-10-2017, 12:41 PM

(10-10-2017, 06:12 AM)Garrett Garlits Wrote: Ben's not going anywhere except to retirement. Art would be an idiot to agree to trade him with Landry Jones as his main backup, and while he's neither his father nor his grandfather as far as being a football guy goes, he's far from an idiot. He thought he was doing the right thing by ordering Arians fired and Haley hired, and while it hasn't exactly worked out well, it wasn't a deliberately poor decision either.

If Haley's worried about getting credit, he's in the wrong organization. Tomlin gets almost all the credit and takes almost all the public (non-fan) blame when it comes to the coaching staff. The only exception to this rule was Dick LeBeau, who's practically been around since God invented George Halas. What we the unwashed say really carries no weight; in the eyes of those that matter, Tomlin is the one and only head of this team, responsible for both offense and defense, and he wants it that way.

The worst coaching hire in my lifetime and I've been watching this team full time since 1977.   

Art II wasted six years of Ben's career to hire this jagoff. 

And what's even more sad is Tomlin won't do anything to try and stop it.
Garrett Garlits
All Pro Veteran

10-11-2017, 07:28 AM

And just what is Tomlin supposed to do? If you're right and Haley is Art's fair-haired boy, complaining about him is liable to get TOMLIN fired, not Haley. And guess who would have an excellent shot at replacing Tomlin in that scenario? He was the head coach in Kansas City, after all. So instead of getting him fired, you gave him your job, or at least the inside track to get it. Do you really think Tomlin's that dumb? Do you really want Haley as the next Steelers' head coach?
Crash
Hall of Famer

10-11-2017, 08:10 AM

Quote:And just what is Tomlin supposed to do? If you're right and Haley is Art's fair-haired boy, complaining about him is liable to get TOMLIN fired, not Haley.

Good. Then Tomlin will get another job in 5 minutes and the Steelers can keep declining when they promote Haley. Would serve Art II right for pulling rank on a coach who won 55 games in 5 years with two AFC titles and a ring.

Quote:And guess who would have an excellent shot at replacing Tomlin in that scenario? He was the head coach in Kansas City, after all.

Because his buddy Scott Pioli (One of the few friends Haley had in the NFL) got hired there and then he hired his buddy Haley.

And what happened?

Haley ran off OC Chan Gailey before the season started, Haley called the plays, they went 4-12.

Charlie Weis was hired as OC and called the plays the next year, they went 10-6.

Haley then runs Weis off. They went 5-8 and Haley got fired. During a season in which Haley claimed his PERSONAL CELL PHONE, which he had BEFORE he got to Kansas City was being bugged by Pioli. He would also check his office for bugs before having media speak to him in it.

Clearly a sane person would act this way.

That's what sucks about this whole sorry situation. The rest of the NFL knows Haley's a nut-job, and Art II still hired him after his Daddy called and asked if he could interview for the job as a favor. He apparently didn't even interview "well" with Tomlin, and Art II still went over Tomlin's head and hired him anyway.
(This post was last modified: 10-11-2017, 08:28 AM by Crash.)
Crash
Hall of Famer

10-11-2017, 09:00 AM

This was after Haley's only playoff game in KC:  

If anyone was watching the Ravens-Chiefs game Sunday, you might have noticed that the Chiefs offense wasn’t as good in the second half than the first. How’s that for good analysis? Then again, they scored their only seven points in the first quarter and had some bad turnovers, but the second half offense was somehow worse.

It’s now being said that Todd Haley, head coach of the Chiefs, took the mic away from offensive coordinator Charlie Weis and chose his own plays. Keep in mind that Weis is heading to Florida after this season, so he probably didn’t have much patience with Haley. At least, I know I wouldn’t.

As it turns out, those issues boiled over.

Bob Fescoe of 610 Sports in Kansas City reports that Haley stripped Weis of the play-calling duties during the second half of the game. Which means that the horrendous showing is on the shoulders not of the guy who left the team, but of the guy who’ll still be there.

**The news confirms Jason Whitlock’s in-game instincts. After the Chiefs tried to run a sweep on fourth and short early in the second half, Whitlock said via Twitter: “Todd Haley, ladies and gentlemen. He just put his stamp on the game with 4th-down call. And trust me, that was all Haley.”**

http://uproxx.com/sports/todd-haley-acte...st-ravens/

Now fast forward, to 2015, Haley in Pittsburgh, 4th down in overtime against the Ravens, the SAME TEAM as his 2011 playoff game:

This time a QB sweep left, and that play also failed.  

Look at Miller's reaction.  He's incredulous, he just walks off the field in disgust.  

And this is the yo-yo we hired to run this offense.
dbsfgyd1
Hall of Famer

10-16-2017, 09:48 AM

(10-11-2017, 09:00 AM)Crash Wrote: This was after Haley's only playoff game in KC:  

If anyone was watching the Ravens-Chiefs game Sunday, you might have noticed that the Chiefs offense wasn’t as good in the second half than the first. How’s that for good analysis? Then again, they scored their only seven points in the first quarter and had some bad turnovers, but the second half offense was somehow worse.

It’s now being said that Todd Haley, head coach of the Chiefs, took the mic away from offensive coordinator Charlie Weis and chose his own plays. Keep in mind that Weis is heading to Florida after this season, so he probably didn’t have much patience with Haley. At least, I know I wouldn’t.

As it turns out, those issues boiled over.

Bob Fescoe of 610 Sports in Kansas City reports that Haley stripped Weis of the play-calling duties during the second half of the game. Which means that the horrendous showing is on the shoulders not of the guy who left the team, but of the guy who’ll still be there.

**The news confirms Jason Whitlock’s in-game instincts. After the Chiefs tried to run a sweep on fourth and short early in the second half, Whitlock said via Twitter: “Todd Haley, ladies and gentlemen. He just put his stamp on the game with 4th-down call. And trust me, that was all Haley.”**

http://uproxx.com/sports/todd-haley-acte...st-ravens/

Now fast forward, to 2015, Haley in Pittsburgh, 4th down in overtime against the Ravens, the SAME TEAM as his 2011 playoff game:

This time a QB sweep left, and that play also failed.  

Look at Miller's reaction.  He's incredulous, he just walks off the field in disgust.  

And this is the yo-yo we hired to run this offense.

OK, after watching 4 2nd half series that terminated with 2 runs followed by a pass a pass into heavy coverage almost most causing us to lose the game, I’ve seen the light!!! Halilujia!!!
Crash
Hall of Famer

10-16-2017, 10:14 AM

20 or less points on offense in 17 of their last 27 road games.

Just awful. Waste too many plays with scrubs on the field.
Rollers
Hall of Famer

10-16-2017, 10:41 AM

(10-16-2017, 10:14 AM)Crash Wrote: 20 or less points on offense in 17 of their last 27 road games.

Just awful.  Waste too many plays with scrubs on the field.

No fan of haley and I want him gone.  but today we were playing the best team in the nfl on their field and we won.  The offensive struggles are a huge concern but that was a great defense and they were home.  AB made a huge mistake on a route that cost us.  He won't do that again.  Stupid play on a kick cost us.  Hopefully that is fixable.  I get it.  But man that was a good team we played today.  We should have thrown a bit more after we established the run i think but I'll take this win and be happy that the D played so much better against the best offense in football
dbsfgyd1
Hall of Famer

10-16-2017, 11:10 AM

(10-16-2017, 10:14 AM)Crash Wrote: 20 or less points on offense in 17 of their last 27 road games.

Just awful.  Waste too many plays with scrubs on the field.

Didn’t have much choice with Hubbard and Finney. I’m not real sure what was going on with the counters to the left, but it was  like every time they ran it there was a DE  or OLB 5 yards up field waiting before DeCastro and Nix could get there. 

That said, it’s fairly obvious we can run the ball, Bell racking up another 189 yards today, and definitely shrinking the game. Keeping the KC on the bench was key. But once KC got back in the game, with 6 minutes to go, going run-run-pass- punt, is not the way to close out the game. 

The D was outstanding until Williams went down, which left us with either mass confusion, or guys trying to do too much. I hope Williams’ hip isn’t hurt too bad because dirty Red on the long field is a liability.
Crash
Hall of Famer

10-16-2017, 11:10 AM

10-17-84

Little subbing, nail 89 and 45 to the bench

Score 30 points.