Bryant wants out?
RaynorShyne
Hall of Famer

10-16-2017, 10:26 PM

Martavis Bryant requested trade from Steelers
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000862086/article/martavis-bryant-requested-trade-from-steelers

Seriously?
Cali-Steeler
Hall of Famer

10-16-2017, 10:59 PM

Im reading this also late last night. It might be bull$h1* fake news* But I'm not sure. Rapaport is the same guy that said Ben demanded a trade years ago.

Not trying to be Mr. Factoid. But heres the link from 2013 > http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap2000000...h-steelers
mcmillenandwife
Administrator

10-16-2017, 11:13 PM

(10-16-2017, 10:59 PM)Cali-Steeler Wrote: Im reading this also late last night. It might be bull$h1* fake news*  But I'm not sure.  Rapaport is the same guy that said Ben demanded a trade years ago.  

Not trying to be Mr. Factoid. But heres the link from 2013 >  http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap2000000...h-steelers

Agreed. He's not always wrong, but a large percentage of Ian Rapoport's supposed "scoops" ultimately turn out to be nothing. Eli Manning went so far as to call Rapoport out as "making stuff up to make a name for himself."

I'm not really interested in what so-called "insiders" reporting leaks with nothing to back up the claim have to say. 

If I hear it from Martavis or his agent, that's a different story. Until then... I call bullshit.
Crash
Hall of Famer

10-17-2017, 12:53 AM

Bryant's girlfriend was on snapo and confirmed it.

Mark Kaboly also got info straight from Bryant and confirmed it.

He's upset about not playing, Ben himself wants Bryant more involved with the offense.

Which means Haley sits him.

When Ben asks for something Haley does the opposite.
Chucktownsteeler
Hall of Famer

10-17-2017, 02:14 AM

Could be fake news. I doubt many teams are going to offer much for him anyway. Maybe we could get a decent pick from the Panthers, Marcanibus is from that area, playing for Clemson and the panthers could use a WR. But I doubt we get anything higher than a #6 pick. Just as well to keep him.

Next - Minkah, #39!
  [Image: chucktown_sig_pic.jpg]
Crash
Hall of Famer

10-17-2017, 05:04 AM

Bryant has said he has not asked for a trade.
mcmillenandwife
Administrator

10-17-2017, 07:09 PM

(10-17-2017, 05:04 AM)Crash Wrote: Bryant has said he has not asked for a trade.

And there it is. Ian Rapoport, you are a hack. How 'bout sticking to the facts instead of overstating every little bit of innuendo you hear, you squirrelly little a$$hole?  Eyes

Being frustrated with your situation and venting to your girlfriend is a far cry from actually asking the team for a trade.
Garrett Garlits
All Pro Veteran

10-17-2017, 10:51 PM

Why do we all of a sudden believe Bryant? He's probably gotten the word that the Steelers have no intention of trading him (as other articles on the subject have stated) so now he's trying to make the best of things because he has no choice.

I believe Rappaport a hundred percent here. That doesn't mean that he'll end up traded, but I firmly believe that he popped off to someone on Tomlin's level or higher, maybe even Art himself. about wanting to be, no matter how he denies it now.
(This post was last modified: 10-17-2017, 10:53 PM by Garrett Garlits.)
mcmillenandwife
Administrator

10-17-2017, 11:55 PM

(10-17-2017, 10:51 PM)Garrett Garlits Wrote: Why do we all of a sudden believe Bryant? He's probably gotten the word that the Steelers have no intention of trading him (as other articles on the subject have stated) so now he's trying to make the best of things because he has no choice.

I believe Rappaport a hundred percent here. That doesn't mean that he'll end up traded, but I firmly believe that he popped off to someone on Tomlin's level or higher, maybe even Art himself. about wanting to be, no matter how he denies it now.

100%? Why do you have such great faith in Rapoport, Garrett? I'm not saying Bryant hasn't been grumbling and that it hasn't been heard by others. Perhaps he has. Probably, he has. But grumbling about your situation and actually asking the team for a trade are two VERY different things. I believe Rapoport made an irresponsible leap here by claiming a trade request went to the team. Just my guess based on past history with him. And if that's the case (he took that leap into fiction), that's irresponsible behavior for a so-called journalist.
RaynorShyne
Hall of Famer

10-17-2017, 11:56 PM

One day, one magical, mystical, unicorn day - players will figure out they're on a team. Individual actions that distract from the team and putting a quality product on the field - are always met unfavorably.
dbsfgyd1
Hall of Famer

10-18-2017, 12:31 AM

(10-17-2017, 10:51 PM)Garrett Garlits Wrote: Why do we all of a sudden believe Bryant? He's probably gotten the word that the Steelers have no intention of trading him (as other articles on the subject have stated) so now he's trying to make the best of things because he has no choice.

I would trust anything out of the media, period. Sports, National, Local, Financial news, you name it, it isn’t worth the paper it’s printed on, or in this case, the bandwidth it occupies. 

For years, the news as not been about truth, depth & reasoning, it’s about selling ad space, and how much revenue they can generate. Just think how many “hits” this blurb caused truth or not?

As for Bryant, if he want to be number one, put the work in and show it all day, every day, every play. IMO, I also think he’s lost a step of the blocks.

As for Haley, someone I’ve come to really dislike ( thank you Crash), look, the kid does not run a bubble screens or short crossing routes well. It’s like hooking up Secratariat up to a pony cart. There is yardage to be had 20 yards beyond the LOS. As much as I love  our running game, it would work a lot better running some 3 WR combo routes down field, and Bryant running wild, something he was born to do.
Crash
Hall of Famer

10-18-2017, 03:00 AM

Like Seabiscuit pulling a farmer's plow.

Rapoport claims there are texts/emails from Bryant/his agent to the Steelers asking to be traded.
dbsfgyd1
Hall of Famer

10-18-2017, 08:04 AM

(10-18-2017, 03:00 AM)Crash Wrote: Like Seabiscuit pulling a farmer's plow.  

Rapoport claims there are texts/emails from Bryant/his agent to the Steelers asking to be traded.

Let’s see them. Until he show them, it’s BS. Farmers plow...LOL. Good one.
Garrett Garlits
All Pro Veteran

10-18-2017, 11:46 AM

You know perfectly well he'll never do that. He has to protect his sources so they'll feed him more information. You have to take him at his word (or not) and leave it at that.

Considering how Bryant's acted since he's been here regardless of his football talent, I'll believe Rapoport ten times out of ten, and I wish the Steelers would act on Bryant's request and get him the hell out of here. If he goes to New England or Kansas City and runs us ragged in a playoff game, that's still better in my book than him being a Steeler unless he changes his attitude over the long term.
(This post was last modified: 10-18-2017, 11:52 AM by Garrett Garlits.)
dbsfgyd1
Hall of Famer

10-20-2017, 10:53 PM

(10-18-2017, 11:46 AM)Garrett Garlits Wrote: You know perfectly well he'll never do that. He has to protect his sources so they'll feed him more information. You have to take him at his word (or not) and leave it at that.

I’ll opt for “Not” for $200.  Articles like this are the epitome of shoddy journalism at best. Unsubstantiated sources as an excuse to hide pertinent facts? If they REALLY want something useful to cover, KneelGate, and the potential damage to the league as fans bail en mass. THAT is the story to cover, but apparently this might take a little work, and heaven forbid a reporter actually worked up a sweat.
Garrett Garlits
All Pro Veteran

10-21-2017, 03:08 AM

Are you kidding? The media's been all over that story to the point of tedium.

I love how everyone always assumes that people in the media, no matter what they cover, are all a bunch of talentless, spoon-fed hacks who don't report on a story unless it's given to them. How would you know anything that goes on beyond your front yard if not for news reporters? And yet somehow I don't think your mistrust extends to political pundits, regardless of which side of the aisle you support.

Ian may end up being wrong if the Steelers keep Bryant, but that doesn't mean that his sources weren't legitimate, anonymous or not.
dbsfgyd1
Hall of Famer

10-21-2017, 09:38 AM

(10-21-2017, 03:08 AM)Garrett Garlits Wrote: Are you kidding? The media's been all over that story to the point of tedium.  

I love how everyone always assumes that people in the media, no matter what they cover, are all a bunch of talentless, spoon-fed hacks who don't report on a story unless it's given to them. How would you know anything that goes on beyond your front yard if not for news reporters? And yet somehow I don't think your mistrust extends to political pundits, regardless of which side of the aisle you support.

Ian may end up being wrong if the Steelers keep Bryant, but that doesn't mean that his sources weren't legitimate, anonymous or not.
Just for the record, I do have some background in journalism, and specifically, the business side. The fact is, most of them are as you described spoon fed hacks. I can make up stories with the best of them too.

Just asking, but how much revenue has the league lost so far? Percentage of Viewership declined? The outlook on the the next contract if current trends continue? Impact on player salaries? Stadium bond issues in the event of a default, and what that means to investors, and municipalities? Which cities are most at risk? How many owners are going to be forced to sell? I can keep on going, but there are a whole lot of questions that I’ve not seen addressed, and surprisingly not even being addressed by the league for that matter, or the players would be standing ramrod straight at the downbeat.

Look old story,  no source, no evidence, no story. Who, what, why, and when. End of discussion. Frankly, I would rather not know anything beyond my front yard than being bombarded by half truths, out and out lies, and being told on a daily basis how to think. 

The sad thing is there is no journalistic integrity today. Get a story line with some legs and let it rip until it collapses under it’s own weight, or the actual truth leaks out. But don’t expect a full retraction. Classic example here in Steeler Nation with the Millegville saga. 

It’s all about the “hits”, get them to tune in at 11, get them to turn the page..Why, to see the next ad. It’s not about the news, it’s about the ad revenue, there are no holds barred, and so what if the truth gets bent a little. 

Sorry man, today’s journalist may be really good from a business sense, but  from a standard of truth and credibility??? You got to be kidding me. If you are taking these yokels for gospel, I just happen to have this bridge.......
Garrett Garlits
All Pro Veteran

10-21-2017, 10:09 AM

Most of that stuff will be impossible to know until the season's over. And don't be too sure that the players would be standing even if they knew the impact that the protests would have on the bottom line. If they gave a damn about stuff like that, they'd have never protested in the first place.

You notice that even though the NFL knows that they're alienating fans and potentially losing money, they've made no move to make the players stand for the anthem, and they most likely won't in the future either. That's because they'd have no league and no product if they tried it; either DeMaurice Smith would lead them on a wildcat strike or they'd simply break the rule every chance they got and force the owners to suspend or otherwise discipline the players, even if it meant playing with less than a full roster or forfeiting games in front of the fans.

Do you honestly think they'd be cheered if they announced, "Due to a significant number of players breaking our policy regarding the National Anthem, the Steelers are forced to forfeit today's game. Thank you and drive home safely." Even if the chances of that happening are infinitesimal, it makes sense for the league to placate the players first and worry about winning back the fans later, if they can.

You can either have a game watched by a half-full stadium or a forfeit that almost drives a nearly-full stadium to a riot; which would you choose? I'll give you a hint; there may not be a rosy future for the NFL behind door number one, but there's no future at all behind door number two. Of course, we'll never know for sure, because the owners aren't stupid enough to antagonize their product (the players, not the fans) like that.
dbsfgyd1
Hall of Famer

10-21-2017, 10:18 PM

You are absolute incorrect. Players are replaceable. Fans are not. Fans are the value in this enterprise. The only value here.

There have been lock outs before and the league continued without rioting.

And no, I don’t think most out there guys realize what the economic end is by and large, and those that do, don’t give a rip because they got their’s, and screw everybody else.

Frankly , the league has made a bad miscalculation in judgment and have backed themselves into a no-win corner. In their effort to be politically correct, they have, and will continue to shoot themselves in the foot.

If the league really wanted to support the protest, there are better ways to do this. A march en mass on Capital Hill, commercials, appearances at public meetings, sponsor get out the vote functions, lots of others numerous to list.
(This post was last modified: 10-21-2017, 10:19 PM by dbsfgyd1.)
Crash
Hall of Famer

10-23-2017, 01:04 PM

Yeah, he wants out.  

[Image: DMygmSrX4AEbUew.jpg]
(This post was last modified: 10-23-2017, 01:05 PM by Crash.)
pxsteel
Rookie

10-23-2017, 01:23 PM

So let him go. If you are upset while being 5 and 2 and up 2 games in your division, then there is something seriously wrong
Crash
Hall of Famer

10-23-2017, 01:55 PM

Brown used to bitch. No one cared.

Hines used to bitch. No one cared.

Being removed in red zone for stiffs like McDonald and Grimble? I'd bitch too.

See Ben at the end of the half? He's had it with Haley AGAIN, he wanted to throw on that play before the TO and Haley told him to run the ball.
Crash
Hall of Famer

10-23-2017, 02:23 PM

Arians wanted Hines' role reduced in 2011 and you would have thought he died the way fans and local media were whining about it.
mcmillenandwife
Administrator

10-23-2017, 09:57 PM

(10-23-2017, 01:55 PM)Crash Wrote: Brown used to bitch.  No one cared.

Being removed in red zone for stiffs like McDonald and Grimble?  I'd bitch too.  

See Ben at the end of the half?  He's had it with Haley AGAIN, he wanted to throw on that play before the TO and Haley told him to run the ball.

Arians wanted Hines' role reduced in 2011 and you would have thought he died the way fans and local media were whining about it.

Not exactly disagreeing with you, but neither Hines nor Brown hurt their team with multiple, lengthy drug suspensions. Just sayin'. Smokin

Furthermore, while I agree with you that McDonald and Grimble are stiffs and Haley needs to get it through his thick head that Heath Miller retired 2 years ago, if I'm putting a WR in there in their place near the goal line, it's going to be a physical player like Smith-Schuster. Bryant is tall, but not physical. Not a terrible blocker, I'm not saying that at all... Bryant is actually a pretty good downfield blocker. But in close quarters, I don't think he's the right guy. He falls down easily, is tackled easily, doesn't have great balance. Good for a fade in goal-to-go situations, maybe. But for getting open in a crowd like that, I don't think he's the right guy.

The drop by McDonald was unforgivable. A sure TD, a routine back shoulder throw. Heath would've had it. JuJu would've had it. McDonald couldn't handle it. Our TE's suck.

Speaking of unforgivable, that Bell run before before halftime... man... I just wanted to come through the screen at Haley. WTF was that call?????? Ben was clearly FURIOUS about it and they showed him jawing with Tomlin on the sideline after. Mindbogglingly terrible call. Made NO sense. None. 

Ben hit JuJu on a short crossing route just before halftime and JuJu broke the tackle, fought to get out of bounds and preserved a time out. That's not a play Bryant makes. He would've gone down with that hit.

Bryant should be running DEEP routes and making BIG plays. But he's not. There was a play with about 3 minutes left in the 3rd quarter, after the 2nd Dalton INT, where Ben went deep for Bryant. Martavis had single coverage and he was slightly behind it, but he never got any separation and worst of all, he completely failed to locate the ball which fell harmlessly to the turf next to him. The camera immediately cut to Ben and the frustrated look on his face after that play said plenty. His lips were narrowed, his eyes were wide as if to say, "Really?" and he just gave a little shake of his head. 

Bryant isn't getting it done and even though I agree Haley isn't using him right, Bryant has done very little with the opportunities he's had. He needs to start making some plays. Right now, he seems like his head and heart aren't in it. I don't blame him for being frustrated, but he needs to FOCUS and make a few plays when he has the chance. It's time to quit sulking and just going through the motions. 

I have work to do, so in closing... Haley truly blows.
dbsfgyd1
Hall of Famer

10-23-2017, 11:58 PM

There were 24 passes in this game. Very limited opportunities when you have an AB, and 40 snaps running the ball. At most he’s going to get 4-5 touches a game, but if contribution is running one bubble screen, one jet sweep, and two long bombs on short yardage, plays, it’s an amazing waste of talent. Bryant is looking more and more like he’s a tad short in the enthusiasm department, and understandably so. And I agree, Haley is driving me to distraction.

Tim, your comment on your rising level of irritation watching this mess is spot on.
Chucktownsteeler
Hall of Famer

10-24-2017, 12:37 AM

(10-23-2017, 09:57 PM)mcmillenandwife Wrote:
(10-23-2017, 01:55 PM)Crash Wrote: Brown used to bitch.  No one cared.

Being removed in red zone for stiffs like McDonald and Grimble?  I'd bitch too.  

See Ben at the end of the half?  He's had it with Haley AGAIN, he wanted to throw on that play before the TO and Haley told him to run the ball.

Not exactly disagreeing with you, but neither Hines nor Brown hurt their team with multiple, lengthy drug suspensions. Just sayin'. Smokin

Furthermore, while I agree with you that McDonald and Grimble are stiffs and Haley needs to get it through his thick head that Heath Miller retired 2 years ago, if I'm putting a WR in there in their place near the goal line, it's going to be a physical player like Smith-Schuster. Bryant is tall, but not physical. Not a terrible blocker, I'm not saying that at all... Bryant is actually a pretty good downfield blocker. But in close quarters, I don't think he's the right guy. He falls down easily, is tackled easily, doesn't have great balance. Good for a fade in goal-to-go situations, maybe. But for getting open in a crowd like that, I don't think he's the right guy.

The drop by McDonald was unforgivable. A sure TD, a routine back shoulder throw. Heath would've had it. JuJu would've had it. McDonald couldn't handle it. Our TE's suck.

Speaking of unforgivable, that Bell run before before halftime... man... I just wanted to come through the screen at Haley. WTF was that call?????? Ben was clearly FURIOUS about it and they showed him jawing with Tomlin on the sideline after. Mindbogglingly terrible call. Made NO sense. None. 

Ben hit JuJu on a short crossing route just before halftime and JuJu broke the tackle, fought to get out of bounds and preserved a time out. That's not a play Bryant makes. He would've gone down with that hit.

Bryant should be running DEEP routes and making BIG plays. But he's not. There was a play with about 3 minutes left in the 3rd quarter, after the 2nd Dalton INT, where Ben went deep for Bryant. Martavis had single coverage and he was slightly behind it, but he never got any separation and worst of all, he completely failed to locate the ball which fell harmlessly to the turf next to him. The camera immediately cut to Ben and the frustrated look on his face after that play said plenty. His lips were narrowed, his eyes were wide as if to say, "Really?" and he just gave a little shake of his head. 

Bryant isn't getting it done and even though I agree Haley isn't using him right, Bryant has done very little with the opportunities he's had. He needs to start making some plays. Right now, he seems like his head and heart aren't in it. I don't blame him for being frustrated, but he needs to FOCUS and make a few plays when he has the chance. It's time to quit sulking and just going through the motions. 

I have work to do, so in closing... Haley truly blows.

Absolutely spot on, Tim. I love Ju-Ju and at this point in time he is clearly the better option than Bryant or even Rogers (sorry Hoos). It appears Bryant isn't in the game from the shoulders up, at this juncture my option for spreading the field would be DHB (looks like the old man still had decent speed on the fake punt) or Hunter. I'm not sure Bryant would get a hat on Sundays, near term. 

And although its been beaten to death here, Haley really sucks and has now fallen below Joe Walton in my book as the worst Steeler OC in recent memory. The Haley's Vomit offense has to go.

Next - Minkah, #39!
(This post was last modified: 10-24-2017, 12:39 AM by Chucktownsteeler.)
Crash
Hall of Famer

10-24-2017, 03:30 AM

https://twitter.com/EdBouchette/status/9...0212381696
Cali-Steeler
Hall of Famer

10-24-2017, 05:12 AM

As Crash set the link above > Looks like Bryant skipped team meetings this morning. He's probably sitting somewhere whorshipping the crack pipe > >
Chucktownsteeler
Hall of Famer

10-24-2017, 05:19 AM

I have a feeling a failed test is in his future.

Next - Minkah, #39!
mcmillenandwife
Administrator

10-24-2017, 05:26 AM

Guess I was a little hard on Ian Rapoport.

Oh, well.  Pi_bigsmile