long snapper
sandfan
Hall of Famer

04-30-2017, 09:37 AM

In the 6th round.  I guess this is the final indication that the team is so solid on both sides of the ball that they can afford to use a pick on a long snapper.  Maybe this is what will get them over the top and finally slay the Brady/Pats beast.  My goodness.  That's like believing socialized medicine, better known as obamacare, will solve all the Nation's health care issues.  

I fear this draft made us weaker vs all the teams in our division and made absolutely no headway vs the Pats.   Tomlin better have some really great new catch phrases to package this deal.
Rollers
Hall of Famer

04-30-2017, 10:22 AM

There is no defending this trash.  None.  A long snapper?  Are you kidding me?  What the hell was that?  Wide receiver in 2?  So Ben gets older and we have an abortion of a draft like this?  Neither corner will play next year.  Watt wasn't the best pick there.  I have no clue what the hell happened this year.  NONE.
steelersfan
Hall of Famer

04-30-2017, 11:25 AM

Do you want a long snapper that snaps the ball over the kickers head in the last minutes of a playoff game when all you need is a deep punt to put the game away.  Plus, how often do you get the #1 player at a position with your 6th round pick? Or a 6th round pick that is most likely going to be a 11 - 13 year starter for your team?

And a player that is so serious about his craft, that he gets specialty training in the off season to improve himself:

http://www.windycitygridiron.com/2017/4/...cole-mazza

By my count, that adds another (almost certain) future starter to this draft haul to go with Watt & JuJu.  If we get three future starters out of this draft its a successful draft, right???
(This post was last modified: 04-30-2017, 11:27 AM by steelersfan.)
Rollers
Hall of Famer

04-30-2017, 12:29 PM

(04-30-2017, 11:25 AM)steelersfan Wrote: Do you want a long snapper that snaps the ball over the kickers head in the last minutes of a playoff game when all you need is a deep punt to put the game away.  Plus, how often do you get the #1 player at a position with your 6th round pick? Or a 6th round pick that is most likely going to be a 11 - 13 year starter for your team?

And a player that is so serious about his craft, that he gets specialty training in the off season to improve himself:

http://www.windycitygridiron.com/2017/4/...cole-mazza

By my count, that adds another (almost certain) future starter to this draft haul to go with Watt & JuJu.  If we get three future starters out of this draft its a successful draft, right???

I'm not going to argue with you ok?  This guy would have been signed as an UDFA easily.  It has universally been panned as a horrible decision by people a lot smarter than me.  We have a great long snapper now.  So if you miss this piece of the super bowl puzzle you can wait and get another.  This was a mistake and no amount of justification will convince me otherwise.  Were they afraid there was going to be a run on Long Snappers?  How many other teams drafted a long snapper this year?  Great, he works at his craft.  Even he didn't expect to get drafted.  This pick sucked and made no sense.
Dick Shiner
Starting Lineup

04-30-2017, 01:05 PM

I've always been very partial to a good long snapper.
mcmillenandwife
Administrator

04-30-2017, 01:15 PM

(04-30-2017, 12:29 PM)Rollers Wrote: It has universally been panned as a horrible decision by people a lot smarter than me.  

I respect your opinion, Rollers. I do. But who really gives a $#!t about pundits panning draft picks at this early stage? Laugh  It's largely crap shoot, man. The fact that we win year in and year out despite having late round draft picks makes me trust our front office a lot more than my own intuition (or the intuition of the so-called experts). 

I've heard pundits repeatedly give the Cleveland Browns post-draft "A" grades over the last 15 years or so. What have these high marks from the "experts" gotten them? One winning season in 14 years and ZERO playoff appearances.

The absolute "you'll never convince me otherwise" conviction expressed by some of you guys over something so totally theoretical at this point kinda blows me away. 

[Image: stats_record2.gif]
Rollers
Hall of Famer

04-30-2017, 08:15 PM

(04-30-2017, 01:15 PM)mcmillenandwife Wrote:
(04-30-2017, 12:29 PM)Rollers Wrote: It has universally been panned as a horrible decision by people a lot smarter than me.  

I respect your opinion, Rollers. I do. But who really gives a $#!t about pundits panning draft picks at this early stage? Laugh  It's largely crap shoot, man. The fact that we win year in and year out despite having late round draft picks makes me trust our front office a lot more than my own intuition (or the intuition of the so-called experts). 

I've heard pundits repeatedly give the Cleveland Browns post-draft "A" grades over the last 15 years or so. What have these high marks from the "experts" gotten them? One winning season in 14 years and ZERO playoff appearances.

The absolute "you'll never convince me otherwise" conviction expressed by some of you guys over something so totally theoretical at this point kinda blows me away. 

[Image: stats_record2.gif]

Tim I simply mentioned the guys panning some of these pics to illustrate that it supports the way I view it.  The Browns had a very good draft this year.  Who in this draft class helps us next year?  Watt?  He has ONE year at linebacker?  Neither corner is ready.  One was a wide receiver until recently and he admits he doesn't know how to tackle.  You're going to train that guy to tackle against NFL running backs?  THere was so much edge talent available to us when we took a wide receiver.  Who is Conner going to play in front of next year if the guys we have now stay healthy?  i hope I am dead wrong.  But when you draft a long snapper in a place where you could have tried to pick up someone that can play on something other than special teams I call that a horrible pick.  He could have been signed as a UDFA.   Even he didn't expect to be drafted.  So many very good corners and we didn't even try and make a move on one.  We had money to spend this year and didn't try and upgrade the secondary even a little bit.  Like I said I hope I'm dead wrong on this.  But I have no clue why we reached like we did this year.  Well on to training camp I guess
mcmillenandwife
Administrator

04-30-2017, 08:49 PM

(04-30-2017, 08:15 PM)Rollers Wrote: Tim I simply mentioned the guys panning some of these pics to illustrate that it supports the way I view it.  The Browns had a very good draft this year.  Who in this draft class helps us next year?  Watt?  He has ONE year at linebacker?  Neither corner is ready.  One was a wide receiver until recently and he admits he doesn't know how to tackle.  You're going to train that guy to tackle against NFL running backs?  THere was so much edge talent available to us when we took a wide receiver.  Who is Conner going to play in front of next year if the guys we have now stay healthy?  i hope I am dead wrong.  But when you draft a long snapper in a place where you could have tried to pick up someone that can play on something other than special teams I call that a horrible pick.  He could have been signed as a UDFA.   Even he didn't expect to be drafted.  So many very good corners and we didn't even try and make a move on one.  We had money to spend this year and didn't try and upgrade the secondary even a little bit.  Like I said I hope I'm dead wrong on this.  But I have no clue why we reached like we did this year.  Well on to training camp I guess

Rollers, my point was simply this: Grading a draft the morning after with the kind of conviction you're expressing doesn't make sense. We won't really know how this draft stacks up for at least 2 years. I'm not saying you're wrong in your opinions (several of which I agree with) because I have no idea how this will ultimately pan out. But when you say things like, "no amount of justification will convince me otherwise," it kinda makes you look short-sighted. Hopefully, what ultimately happens on the field will convince you otherwise. We'll see. I'm with steelersfan on this; using a 6th round pick to ensure you get a guy who has value (even as a long snapper, the lack of which once cost us a game when James Harrison had to pull duty as the long snapper due to injury) is not a wasted pick because while there are certainly exceptions (Tom Brady, Antonio Brown), most 6th rounders don't even make it through training camp.

I guess what I'm REALLY trying to say is... lighten up, Francis.  Pi_bigsmile
Rollers
Hall of Famer

04-30-2017, 08:57 PM

(04-30-2017, 08:49 PM)mcmillenandwife Wrote:
(04-30-2017, 08:15 PM)Rollers Wrote: Tim I simply mentioned the guys panning some of these pics to illustrate that it supports the way I view it.  The Browns had a very good draft this year.  Who in this draft class helps us next year?  Watt?  He has ONE year at linebacker?  Neither corner is ready.  One was a wide receiver until recently and he admits he doesn't know how to tackle.  You're going to train that guy to tackle against NFL running backs?  THere was so much edge talent available to us when we took a wide receiver.  Who is Conner going to play in front of next year if the guys we have now stay healthy?  i hope I am dead wrong.  But when you draft a long snapper in a place where you could have tried to pick up someone that can play on something other than special teams I call that a horrible pick.  He could have been signed as a UDFA.   Even he didn't expect to be drafted.  So many very good corners and we didn't even try and make a move on one.  We had money to spend this year and didn't try and upgrade the secondary even a little bit.  Like I said I hope I'm dead wrong on this.  But I have no clue why we reached like we did this year.  Well on to training camp I guess

Rollers, my point was simply this: Grading a draft the morning after with the kind of conviction you're expressing doesn't make sense. We won't really know how this draft stacks up for at least 2 years. I'm not saying you're wrong in your opinions (several of which I agree with) because I have no idea how this will ultimately pan out. But when you say things like, "no amount of justification will convince me otherwise," it kinda makes you look short-sighted. Hopefully, what ultimately happens on the field will convince you otherwise. We'll see. I'm with steelersfan on this; using a 6th round pick to ensure you get a guy who has value (even as a long snapper, the lack of which once cost us a game when James Harrison had to pull duty as the long snapper due to injury) is not a wasted pick because while there are certainly exceptions (Tom Brady, Antonio Brown), most 6th rounders don't even make it through training camp.

I guess what I'm REALLY trying to say is... lighten up, Francis.  Pi_bigsmile

WELL WELL  OH YEAH?????????????????????????????????????   LOL   It's just football in the end.  I'm hoping at the end of they year can call me a moron and say I told you so Rollers!!!!!  The guy would have been there as a free agent.  He knew the Steelers were interested.  He would have been signed immediately.  Well onward and upward.  I hope this group of picks makes me eat my words next year Smile
sandfan
Hall of Famer

05-01-2017, 06:04 AM

I think the current long snapper makes over $1 million. Maybe this was a move to cut the cost of a long snapper and spend the cash else where. That's about the only positive strategy I can come up with. Having 2 on the active roster is unlikely so the idea we might be able to avoid a disaster if one goes down in a game is not going to happen.
Desert Steel
Hall of Famer

05-01-2017, 06:21 AM

The current LS id making a million a year and is 35 years old. This move makes some sense in the fact it can save some cash and also get a little more youthful and versatile at that position.
Smokin' Monkey Mojo 
dbsfgyd1
Hall of Famer

05-01-2017, 09:55 AM

(05-01-2017, 06:04 AM)sandfan Wrote: I think the current long snapper makes over $1 million.  Maybe this was a move to cut the cost of a long snapper and spend the cash else where.  That's about the only positive strategy I can come up with.  Having 2 on the active roster is unlikely so the idea we might be able to avoid a disaster if one goes down in a game is not going to happen.

i watched Collberts explanation about this pick, which provided some insight. Most of the Long Snappers in college because of the rules, are usually in the 200lbs range and not usable in the pro game where not only are the exposed to more serious contact, but they are expected to be an integral part of the coverage unit. This kids  the size of linebacker. With a 35 year old LS, at $1 mill plus, not that it would have been my pick, but at least I get the logic. I will say this, I think Warren has had three bad snaps that I can think of over the last couple of years, so the kids got his work cut out for himself to land a roster spot.
SteelAHoosier
Hall of Famer

05-02-2017, 06:46 AM

Work cut out for him...

What 6th rounder doesn't?

*Antonio Brown and Tom Brady slap eachother on the arse*
dbsfgyd1
Hall of Famer

05-02-2017, 07:31 AM

(05-02-2017, 06:46 AM)SteelAHoosier Wrote: Work cut out for him...

What 6th rounder doesn't?

*Antonio Brown and Tom Brady slap eachother on the arse*

True that!
dbsfgyd1
Hall of Famer

05-04-2017, 02:55 AM

(05-04-2017, 01:25 AM)JackSplat58 Wrote: Wasting a 6th round pick on a long snapper is fucking Moronic.....plain and simple.....Colbert and Tomlin are incompetent just look at their draft history together......especially 2nd and 3rd round picks.....Anyone who justifies drafting the long snapper in the 6th round is as bog a fool as the two clowns who drfated him....Long Live Shetland Ponies
Yeah, last year's draft was terrible....That said, with the exception of a few in the last decade, they really have been pretty decent. The best of the best league wide only land 2 starters a year averaged out. and we track that. Our system of drafting core players, and filling gaps with with FAs coming off their rookie contract is a great strategy. A lot of these players have already been scouted during the drafting process, but now have actual NFL game tape. Ladarious Green is a classic example, so was Farrior.

I will agree with you the LS pick is a real head scratcher, but I honestly think on the draft class as a whole, we landed at least two good starters, as well as padded our depth. No, this will not go down as the 1974 Draft redux,  it's a little early to trash it, and all indications are it was a solid draft.
SteelAHoosier
Hall of Famer

05-04-2017, 10:56 AM

And pretty decent is the STANDARD, after all. Googly goo!!
dbsfgyd1
Hall of Famer

05-04-2017, 10:06 PM

(05-04-2017, 10:56 AM)SteelAHoosier Wrote: And pretty decent is the STANDARD, after all. Googly goo!!

The Browns have had great drafts over the same time frame.... So have the Bengals...It's what you do with them that counts. IMO, there are two, maybe three teams in this league that do a consistently better job in player management.

Somehow from the disbandment of our last Superbowl team and now, as the annual wails of frustration from the great Steeler Nation have built to a deafening crescendo about our drafts, we've managed built a championship caliber club. A total rebuild without a losing season I might add. In that light, I'm going to have to accept that 1, the "Brain Trust" really does know what they are doing, and 2, I don't know quite as much.
dbsfgyd1
Hall of Famer

05-05-2017, 03:49 AM

(05-05-2017, 01:53 AM)The Lakelander Wrote: I don't get all the pre-season and in-season roster moves that Tomlin instigates ... Where's the player development? ... The "old" Steelers way under Noll and even Cowher was to keep the low end of roster talent in tact and to let those kids develop ... Under Tomlin, the practice squad is a mere pawn shop and the lower end of the roster is in constant transition ... 

But nobody else is commenting on this SLOP !!! ... 

SHOULD the Steelers move to replace lower roster players with better talent? ... Sure, why not? ... Problem is, they make roster moves without improving the talent base, nor providing the nurturing "good soil" of player development for these kids ... 

It's become Tomlin's playground, a whore-house of one-timing ego abuse !!! 

I'm going to call it the way I see it, whether you agree with me or not ... This is NOT our Steelers of old any longer ... the same rich traditions we all grew up being SPOILED over as Steelers fans (mostly instilled in the team under Chuck Noll) are long gone, and we've literally denigrated as a franchise into any other (name one) NFL franchise ... 

You can see, if you open your eyes, who has become the premier franchise in the NFL ... and it ain't your Pittsburgh Steelers any longer ...

Until Tomlin proves me wrong ... GOOGLY GOO !!!
Way to avoid the question, so I'll ask you again. How did we get from the crap teams of 2011 and 2012 to today if our drafts have been so bad? And now that you mention it, just how is this possible if our general player movement is so terrible? How does this happen if somebody is a lousy head coach?

True, this is not the same Steeler Franchise of the 70's. But this is not the same NFL either. You can't keep players forever, and you don't have a monopoly on the players from small black colleges.

With Free Agency, and this CBA, player mobility is at a historical high. Our management of the cap has been masterful for the last 10 years. And in the last 20 years, with the exception of shelling out $100 million for Woodley and Colon, stellar.

Priced any LT tackle contracts lately Think of this, for the last four years we've been getting LT tackle play for minimal rookie contract pay.

So why haven't we gone out and land a big free agent? Number one, we have a franchise QB that while under current conditions somewhat underpaid, his contract is significant. Secondly, we  have a boatload of players ( all those lousy draft picks as you called them) coming off their rookie contracts we are going to want to keep. Those bums like Tuitt, Shazier to name a couple, not to mention Bell and Villanueava extentions.

And finally, there is a pay scale with the Steelers that has been in place since the 60s. The  best player at his position gets paid the most. Old story still true. It is impossible to maintain that when you are playing the FA game and it often blow up in your face. Duece Staley? Recently, Green is an example. $10 mil a year. You think that didn't have an effect on James and Johnson?

IMO, I'm not interested in buying a one year championship season, then going in the toilet for 3-4 year while we accumulate draft picks and paying off  cap debt. The problem is, what happens if you don't win it all when you have all your chips on the table? You guys are cranky enough with a perennial playoff contender and a realistic Super Bowl contender. Can you imaging what you would be like with two+ losing season in a row??

Whether of not you care to admit it,  this team is being built brick by brick for the long haul. There is going to be Steeler football long after Ben retires. It is as obvious as the the sun coming up that this team has made significant progress over the last 5 years. It is also very obvious, even to the most cynical of all cynics that this kind of progress doesn't happen by happenstance. Lake, you keep accusing me of having blinders, but really, you need to overcome your personal bias and look at the work that is being done and acknowledge it.
sandfan
Hall of Famer

05-05-2017, 07:51 PM

It would be great to dominate the game like the Steelers did in the 70s and win 4 titles in a decade. That's not likely to reoccur in my lifetime so I tend not to dream about such scenarios.

I'd prefer to win one Lombardi in the next 5 years vs watching a team never have a losing season while producing a litany of 8-8, 10-6, 12-4 seasons and not making or losing in the playoffs every year. I would have gone all in for the 2017 season and traded draft choices to move up to get a player who might get me over the NE hump. For me it's all in the number of titles and that shot is worth taking.

I see no glory or reason to crow about never having a losing season. The same holds true for division or conference titles. It's all about the Lombardi trophies for me. I guess some fans can find comfort in 12-4 seasons but for me the only memories that last are in the super bowl games. Win or lose.

My view is Tomlin has under performed considering the quality of players staffing the team. He's really done no better than Peyton and the Saints who also have one Lombardi with a potential HOF QB at the helm.

I submit he's done worse than Cowher considering he's had Ben for his entire tenure while Cowher generated similar regular season and playoff records with QB classes that were just above the embarrassment level. Noll won 4 with Bradshaw, Cowher won 1 with Ben as has Tomlin. The Steelers have not won one without a HOF quality QB in play.

Maybe the scenario will improve when Brady and Belicheat retire. If Tomlin is still running the show I have my doubts. It was a long road between Bradshaw and Ben. That's why I believe the time to put all the chips on the table is now.
Chucktownsteeler
Hall of Famer

05-11-2017, 12:28 AM

Don't forget a coach named Mike Munchak. perhaps the Steelers see other possibilities with this kid down the road.
dbsfgyd1
Hall of Famer

05-11-2017, 03:32 AM

(05-05-2017, 07:51 PM)sandfan Wrote: It would be great to dominate the game like the Steelers did in the 70s and win 4 titles in a decade.  That's not likely to reoccur in my lifetime so I tend not to dream about such scenarios.

I'd prefer to win one Lombardi in the next 5 years vs watching a team never have a losing season while producing a litany of 8-8, 10-6, 12-4 seasons and not making or losing in the playoffs every year.  I would have gone all in for the 2017 season and traded draft choices to move up to get a player who might get me over the NE hump.  For me it's all in the number of titles and that shot is worth taking.

I see no glory or reason to crow about never having a losing season.  The same holds true for division or conference titles.  It's all about the Lombardi trophies for me.  I guess some fans can find comfort in 12-4 seasons but for me the only memories that last are in the super bowl games.  Win or lose.

My view is Tomlin has under performed considering the quality of players staffing the team.  He's really done no better than Peyton and the Saints who also have one Lombardi with a potential HOF QB at the helm.  

I submit he's done worse than Cowher considering he's had Ben for his entire tenure while Cowher generated similar regular season and playoff records with QB classes that were just above the embarrassment level.  Noll won 4 with Bradshaw, Cowher won 1 with Ben as has Tomlin.  The Steelers have not won one without a HOF quality QB in play.  

Maybe the scenario will improve when Brady and Belicheat retire.  If Tomlin is still running the show I have my doubts.  It was a long road between Bradshaw and Ben.  That's why I believe the time to put all the chips on the table is now.
Good thing you didn't become a fan in the 1930s Sandy...... 5 year turnarounds are very rare in the NFL. To accomplish that takes a lot of good luck, not only on player procurement, but health issues, coaching changes, not to mention rule changes that can totally change the competitiveness of your players. On second thought, that is an unreasonable unrealistic expectation.

As for winning all the time, what is the fun in that. It's like beating up the little kid next door. Is there any real sporting value there? Let me ask you a question. Is football  only entertaining if the Steelers win? If that is true, I feel sorry for you as you are missing some of the best parts of the sport. I was never into bragging rights which when you think about it, is the only thing you get from winning all the time. Which is sad because there is so much more to get out of the game.
gtadroptop
Special Teamer

05-11-2017, 02:37 PM

I kind of thought the whole point of playing the game was to win. Granted a main goal of the league and owners is to make money, but isn't it the ultimate goal of every team to win the Super Bowl? I don't see Patriots fans getting bored with constantly winning (damn them).

"I may be dumb, but I'm not stupid." - Terry Bradshaw
Rollers
Hall of Famer

05-11-2017, 08:39 PM

if you accept the fact that Belichik is the best coach in the game then that adds perspective to the pick.

Interestingly, when long snappers are drafted, it usually is in the sixth round or earlier. In this century, all seven long snappers who have been drafted were taken before the seventh round, with three of them taken earlier than the sixth round.

Belichick took one in the fifth a couple years ago. I guess I'm a lot better with this pick than I was when it was made.
SteelAHoosier
Hall of Famer

05-12-2017, 06:24 AM

(05-11-2017, 03:32 AM)dbsfgyd1 Wrote:
(05-05-2017, 07:51 PM)sandfan Wrote: It would be great to dominate the game like the Steelers did in the 70s and win 4 titles in a decade.  That's not likely to reoccur in my lifetime so I tend not to dream about such scenarios.

I'd prefer to win one Lombardi in the next 5 years vs watching a team never have a losing season while producing a litany of 8-8, 10-6, 12-4 seasons and not making or losing in the playoffs every year.  I would have gone all in for the 2017 season and traded draft choices to move up to get a player who might get me over the NE hump.  For me it's all in the number of titles and that shot is worth taking.

I see no glory or reason to crow about never having a losing season.  The same holds true for division or conference titles.  It's all about the Lombardi trophies for me.  I guess some fans can find comfort in 12-4 seasons but for me the only memories that last are in the super bowl games.  Win or lose.

My view is Tomlin has under performed considering the quality of players staffing the team.  He's really done no better than Peyton and the Saints who also have one Lombardi with a potential HOF QB at the helm.  

I submit he's done worse than Cowher considering he's had Ben for his entire tenure while Cowher generated similar regular season and playoff records with QB classes that were just above the embarrassment level.  Noll won 4 with Bradshaw, Cowher won 1 with Ben as has Tomlin.  The Steelers have not won one without a HOF quality QB in play.  

Maybe the scenario will improve when Brady and Belicheat retire.  If Tomlin is still running the show I have my doubts.  It was a long road between Bradshaw and Ben.  That's why I believe the time to put all the chips on the table is now.
Good thing you didn't become a fan in the 1930s Sandy...... 5 year turnarounds are very rare in the NFL. To accomplish that takes a lot of good luck, not only on player procurement, but health issues, coaching changes, not to mention rule changes that can totally change the competitiveness of your players. On second thought, that is an unreasonable unrealistic expectation.

As for winning all the time, what is the fun in that. It's like beating up the little kid next door. Is there any real sporting value there? Let me ask you a question. Is football  only entertaining if the Steelers win? If that is true, I feel sorry for you as you are missing some of the best parts of the sport. I was never into bragging rights which when you think about it, is the only thing you get from winning all the time. Which is sad because there is so much more to get out of the game
Is Tomlin the little kid getting his arse handed to him by the big, bad neighber, Bill Belichick?
I get in now...you enjoy losing and find entertainment in watching the Steelers lose.  That seems to explain you overall outlook on Tomlin and the team.  Thanks!
sandfan
Hall of Famer

05-12-2017, 07:23 AM

I never played football. Played baseball and basketball at the small college level. Winning during the season was OK. Winning the title was the goal. It was not the super bowl but it's the best I could do at my level of ability. Did that a few times. Those are the ones I remember.

I enjoy the games more now that I no longer pay for season tickets or subscribe to some pay per view system. I have no cash dog in the fight along with no desire to support a system filled with personnel where many are wealthy beyond most of the people in the world.

I favor SEC football over the NFL but try to watch the Steeler games when time permits. I'd say I catch at least 12 games on average. That puts me in a category where I likely cannot compete with the experience and knowledge base of many posters on this board. But I try to participate as best I can.

I no longer watch baseball or basketball. Find little compulsion to do so. Fun to play but that's it. I did watch the last period of the Pens/Caps game 7. That was fun.

Lots of I's, I know. Sorry for that. Not trying to be self centered. Just pressed for time. Mother's day weekend is almost at hand, my son needs help with his business and I'm beat from doing yard work and delivering food donations to churches. Plus it was hot today and I'm likely a bit crabby.

Go Steelers.
gtadroptop
Special Teamer

05-12-2017, 12:03 PM

(05-12-2017, 07:23 AM)sandfan Wrote: I never played football.  Played baseball and basketball at the small college level.  Winning during the season was OK.  Winning the title was the goal.  It was not the super bowl but it's the best I could do at my level of ability.  Did that a few times.  Those are the ones I remember.

I enjoy the games more now that I no longer pay for season tickets or subscribe to some pay per view system.  I have no cash dog in the fight along with no desire to support a system filled with personnel where many are wealthy beyond most of the people in the world.  

I favor SEC football over the NFL but try to watch the Steeler games when time permits.  I'd say I catch at least 12 games on average.  That puts me in a category where I likely cannot compete with the experience and knowledge base of many posters on this board.  But I try to participate as best I can.

I no longer watch baseball or basketball.  Find little compulsion to do so. Fun to play but that's it.  I did watch the last period of the Pens/Caps game 7.  That was fun.

Lots of I's, I know.  Sorry for that.  Not trying to be self centered.  Just pressed for time. Mother's day weekend is almost at hand, my son needs help with his business and I'm beat from doing yard work and delivering food donations to churches.  Plus it was hot today and I'm likely a bit crabby.  

Go Steelers.

Although I'm not as eloquently long winded as the lakeside dweller, I applaud your comment. Thumbsup

"I may be dumb, but I'm not stupid." - Terry Bradshaw
dbsfgyd1
Hall of Famer

05-13-2017, 05:14 AM

(05-13-2017, 01:12 AM)The Lakelander Wrote:
(05-12-2017, 11:09 PM)dbsfgyd1 Wrote: Whatever guys. All I can say is you are missing forest for the trees. I'll agree on one point only. One should always strive for perfection, but with the realization that ultimately, we all fall short. This is not a loser mentality, it's a fact of life. Let me tell you fellows, I resent that accusation about my attitude being that of a loser.

If you are perfect in all that you do, this message is not for you. For the rest of us, by what standard are you using to complain? Even Saint Belicheck screws the pooch now an again.  

Most of you guys are parents. Did you expect your children to be born as fully capable self supporting adults? Did you disown them when they didn't graduate top of their class at Harvard? If not, don't hand me the winning is the only thing acceptable BS.

At the moment, the Patriots have a run going on. It happens. We had one of our own in the 70's thanks to a major alignment of the stars. And most here are pretty d*mn smug about it too. That doesn't and didn't mean everybody else is not doing their job and are incapable of doing it well.

As you should now by now, I'm an extremely competitive person. A nice guy, tough as nails inside the lines, but bright enough not to have unrealistic expectations. News flash:  The 70's are over guys, and they aren't coming back. You all need to get over it.

Keep in mind 40 years from now this Patriots string will be a distant memory, and we'll all be pushing up daisies. You may as well enjoy what you got left. If that makes me a loser in your estimation, I'm telling you right now, I'm having the last laugh.

DB ... nobody is judging YOU the person. We all know you're a good guy. 

But yours is roughly the same passion level as a Cleveland Browns fan's passion level ... 

Newsflash: When the Pittsburgh Steelers won their first Super Bowl in the 1970's, it was AWFULLY MEANINGFUL to the City of Pittsburgh, the entire region of Western Pennsylvania, and pretty much ALL of the Tri-State regions ... 

When a fan losses that "championship" mentality, then that fan has literally had their inner flame snuffed out ... go bowling or trout fishing instead of wasting your time watching the mediocrity in that case ... 

Quote:dbsfgyd1 Wrote: As for winning all the time, what is the fun in that. It's like beating up the little kid next door. Is there any real sporting value there?

Uh, YES !!! THERE IS !!! The ENTIRE UNIVERSE of "fun" and "sporting value" is there !!! ...

JUST WIN BABY !!! 

Quote:dbsfgyd1 Wrote: As for winning all the time, what is the fun in that. It's like beating up the little kid next door. Is there any real sporting value there?

Uh, YES !!! THERE IS !!! The ENTIRE UNIVERSE of "fun" and "sporting value" is there !!! ...

You like beating up little kids? Next sporting event, plucking feathers off live baby robins. LOL!!! I always thought you were disturbed!! Have a good one Mark.
dbsfgyd1
Hall of Famer

05-13-2017, 05:28 AM

(05-12-2017, 11:09 PM)dbsfgyd1 Wrote: Whatever guys. All I can say is you are missing forest for the trees. I'll agree on one point only. One should always strive for perfection, but with the realization that ultimately, we all fall short. This is not a loser mentality, it's a fact of life. Let me tell you fellows, I resent that accusation about my attitude being that of a loser.

If you are perfect in all that you do, this message is not for you. For the rest of us, by what standard are you using to complain? Even Saint Belicheck screws the pooch now an again.  

Most of you guys are parents. Did you expect your children to be born as fully capable self supporting adults? Did you disown them when they didn't graduate top of their class at Harvard? If not, don't hand me the winning is the only thing acceptable BS.

At the moment, the Patriots have a run going on. It happens. We had one of our own in the 70's thanks to a major alignment of the stars. And most here are pretty d*mn smug about it too. That doesn't and didn't mean everybody else is not doing their job and are incapable of doing it well.

As you should now by now, I'm an extremely competitive person. A nice guy, tough as nails inside the lines, but bright enough not to have unrealistic expectations. News flash:  The 70's are over guys, and they aren't coming back. You all need to get over it.

Keep in mind 40 years from now this Patriots string will be a distant memory, and we'll all be pushing up daisies. You may as well enjoy what you got left. If that makes me a loser in your estimation, I'm telling you right now, I'm having the last laugh.

But yours is roughly the same passion level as a Cleveland Browns fan's passion level ... 

Newsflash: When the Pittsburgh Steelers won their first Super Bowl in the 1970's, it was AWFULLY MEANINGFUL to the City of Pittsburgh, the entire region of Western Pennsylvania, and pretty much ALL of the Tri-State regions ... 

When a fan losses that "championship" mentality, then that fan has literally had their inner flame snuffed out ... go bowling or trout fishing instead of wasting your time watching the mediocrity in that case ... 

JUST WIN BABY !!! 

There you go with the accusations again. Not hardly. Even they wouldn't put up with that.....

BTW, most forget, the Browns were the Patriots of the 50s, and who remembers, and or cares? Cleveland Brown fans sure do.

There is no reason why one can't be passionate, and at the same time be realistic? I'm thinking you may be using the wrong descriptor term "a lack of passion" instead of being indifferent, or apathetic, of which I assure you, I am neither.

Really, if I were, would I be spending time butting heads with you? What is the sport in that? LOL!!
dbsfgyd1
Hall of Famer

05-13-2017, 05:39 AM

JUST WIN BABY !!! 

Inner Flame snuffed out??? Hey, I'm not dead yet!!! Actually, you may be better served by trout fishing instead of watching, because if you consider the Steelers   mediocre, even with all the lousy draft picks, and the horrible coaching,  the whole thing is flying right over your head.
mcmillenandwife
Administrator

05-13-2017, 10:37 AM

(05-13-2017, 01:12 AM)The Lakelander Wrote: But yours is roughly the same passion level as a Cleveland Browns fan's passion level ... 

I take it you don't know many Browns fans, Lake?  Laugh There's no shortage of passion there. The Baltimore move couldn't kill them off. Multiple decades of losing couldn't kill them off. And believe me, they hate to lose. They HATE it. But they love their team. And they are loyal. Frankly, they're cut from the same cloth as many "older" Steelers fans, the ones who actually knew what it was like to love a lousy team. 

F#$% the Browns forever, of course... but their fans do not lack passion for their team.