We own it
Rollers
Hall of Famer

01-15-2018, 07:04 AM

Tomlin's post game
Rollers
Hall of Famer

01-15-2018, 07:31 AM

Tomlin owns this crap. Onside kick with two time outs AND the two minute warning. Get a stop and you have a chance. Horrible execution on the onside kick and they get a field goal to seal it. This is on YOU Tomlin. Not that you care.
Cali-Steeler
Hall of Famer

01-15-2018, 07:44 AM

All Tomlin... The blocked punt at the 50. The defense gave us a chance. They go with 2 crappy running plays and non completed pass. That snapped all the momentum. We needed to score then to tie it up.
Rollers
Hall of Famer

01-15-2018, 07:46 AM

just listened to tomlin's post game live typical crap from him. Why no sneak? We were "comfortable" with the calls we made we just didn't execute. Jags played better. I don't want to dwell on individual calls. Same old shit from him over and over.
mcmillenandwife
Administrator

01-15-2018, 07:56 AM

(01-15-2018, 07:44 AM)Cali-Steeler Wrote: All Tomlin... The blocked punt at the 50. The defense gave us a chance. They go with 2 crappy running plays and non completed pass. That snapped all the momentum. We needed to score then to tie it up.

Just as bad, in my opinion... as bad as the pair of stupid 4th & 1 play calls... as bad as the total lack of adjustment on defense... as bad as Vince Williams being endlessly out of position in the first half... was the decision to try on onside kick at the end with two timeouts and the 2-minute warning in our pocket. I realize the defense was struggling. But at least you give your team a chance instead of giving them the ball in FG range to seal it.

This game was the worst example of situational play calling/decision making I've seen in a very long time.

Ben Roethlisberger throws for 569 yds and 5 TDs with only 1 INT and we flipping LOSE??? I realize Shazier was the glue holding our defense together, but my goodness... there's no excuse for losing a game when we put up 42 points on offense. 

To your point, Cali... do what it takes to go get a score after the blocked punt. Pick up that first down and go tie the game.

There were many, many calls in this game that turn my stomach... but I think the two that make me sickest are the 4th and 1 calls. Those will make me crazy all off-season. 4th and 1 and we try an outside toss 5 yards in the backfield against THIS defense??? 4th and 1 and instead of a QB sneak, we throw a low percentage pass 20 yards downfield?

I'm just sick.  Sick What a squandered opportunity.
Cali-Steeler
Hall of Famer

01-15-2018, 08:07 AM

Agreed... Play calling and adjustments, tackling and many other bone-headed plays. This team under achieved in this game > After the Steelers built momentum and the jags started panicking on offence.
We stopped them 2 drives. Then let em back in it...
Chucktownsteeler
Hall of Famer

01-15-2018, 08:28 AM

4th and 1's and I let Ben sneak it. Almost impossible to stop. A toss sweep. I don't know a HS coach that would have called that.

The 2 big off season decisions really revolve around Ben and Haley. Haley should be thanked and shown the door. Promote Randy Fitchner.

If Ben retires you franchise Bell then leave him walk after next season. We're in complete rebuild mode at that time.

If Ben comes back (I think that depends on what they do with Haley) you sign an veteran ILB and draft either the one from Alabama or Georgia. Both are sideline to sideline tackling machines.

The play calling today was abysmal. The worst I've seen in a while. officiating is getting worse. Even though Brown scored he was held all the way down the sideline. Ju-Ju's jersey was almost pulled off him on the 4th down play. I often wonder because Tomlin is a potted plant on the sideline the refs have no respect for this team. If Brady was tossed down like Ben in the 4th it would have been a 15-yarder.

Next - Minkah, #39!
  [Image: chucktown_sig_pic.jpg]
mcmillenandwife
Administrator

01-15-2018, 08:32 AM

(01-15-2018, 08:28 AM)Chucktownsteeler Wrote: 4th and 1's and I let Ben sneak it. Almost impossible to stop. A toss sweep. I don't know a HS coach that would have called that.

The 2 big off season decisions really revolve around Ben and Haley. Haley should be thanked and shown the door. Promote Randy Fitchner.

If Ben retires you franchise Bell then leave him walk after next season. We're in complete rebuild mode at that time.

If Ben comes back (I think that depends on what they do with Haley) you sign an veteran ILB and draft either the one from Alabama or Georgia. Both are sideline to sideline tackling machines.

The play calling today was abysmal. The worst I've seen in a while. officiating is getting worse. Even though Brown scored he was held all the way down the sideline. Ju-Ju's jersey was almost pulled off him on the 4th down play. I often wonder because Tomlin is a potted plant on the sideline the refs have no respect for this team. If Brady was tossed down like Ben in the 4th it would have been a 15-yarder.

Guys... Ben is NOT going to retire this year. I will never understand why so many people seem obsessed with that notion. It's not going to happen.

I agree with much of the rest of your post.
Chucktownsteeler
Hall of Famer

01-15-2018, 08:33 AM

(01-15-2018, 08:32 AM)mcmillenandwife Wrote:
(01-15-2018, 08:28 AM)Chucktownsteeler Wrote: 4th and 1's and I let Ben sneak it. Almost impossible to stop. A toss sweep. I don't know a HS coach that would have called that.

Guys... Ben is NOT going to retire this year. I will never understand why so many people seem obsessed with that notion. It's not going to happen.

He just said he'll be back. That leads me to believe Haley is gone.

Next - Minkah, #39!
mcmillenandwife
Administrator

01-15-2018, 09:29 AM

Both coordinators should face serious scrutiny, in my opinion, and frankly, Joey Porter isn't getting it done. Our linebacker play has been HORRIFIC since Shazier went down. Traditionally, linebacker has been a strength for us but it is currently a glaring weakness.
Rollers
Hall of Famer

01-15-2018, 09:48 AM

(01-15-2018, 09:29 AM)mcmillenandwife Wrote: Both coordinators should face serious scrutiny, in my opinion, and frankly, Joey Porter isn't getting it done. Our linebacker play has been HORRIFIC since Shazier went down. Traditionally, linebacker has been a strength for us but it is currently a glaring weakness.

haley needs to be gone.  Porter gone.  Keith Butler gone.  No questions need to be asked no agonizing decisions.  Just say goodbye to all of them and let's TRY and get some new thinking injected into this team
Chucktownsteeler
Hall of Famer

01-15-2018, 10:10 AM

Probably won't happened but I'd kick the tires on Capers and/ or Del Rio in some sort of defensive capacity. We may lose Munchak to the Cards.

Players that truly regressed: Burns (played decent today), Davis, Dupree (this guy has been invisible all year), Rogers, and Tuitt.

Players that stepped up: Hilton, Ju-Ju, Bryant (later in the season), Bell, Boswell, and Ben. Brown was Brown.

Next - Minkah, #39!
(This post was last modified: 01-15-2018, 10:10 AM by Chucktownsteeler.)
Rollers
Hall of Famer

01-15-2018, 10:16 AM

There won't be much in changes. We're cash strapped as usual. Nothing new there. I doubt they even fire Haley or don't extend him. I look for the announcement that he's going to be extended this week. Butler? Not going anywhere. Maybe Porter but that would be about it. It's the steelers way. I'm sick of Tomlin. Any coach that talks the way he did after a horrible game like that needs to be gone. There was no justification for those plays needing a yard and running wide. Since he takes the responsibility do something. He made the decision to onside kick. Well then it's time to hold him accountable for that as well. He's coach for life if he wants to be
Crash
Hall of Famer

01-15-2018, 10:50 AM

Cap strapped in 2018 but not in 2019 or 2020. So they have to work to make it fit only in 2018.

Butler has to go. That onsides kick said it all.
mcmillenandwife
Administrator

01-15-2018, 11:34 AM

(01-15-2018, 10:50 AM)Crash Wrote: Butler has to go.  That onsides kick said it all.

It was like watching the 2002 defense out there today... only worse.  Sick

With Shazier sadly gone, we have huge problems at linebacker. He was outstanding enough to cover a great many sins. TJ Watt is "okay" and has some upside. The other linebackers on our roster are all below average and none have the potential to be more than average.
Rollers
Hall of Famer

01-15-2018, 12:13 PM

(01-15-2018, 11:34 AM)mcmillenandwife Wrote:
(01-15-2018, 10:50 AM)Crash Wrote: Butler has to go.  That onsides kick said it all.

With Shazier sadly gone, we have huge problems at linebacker. He was outstanding enough to cover a great many sins. TJ Watt is "okay" and has some upside. The other linebackers on our roster are all below average and none have the potential to be more than average.

I don't know about that.  I just think the coaching has been so bad that it's just magnifying every single issue.  Guys out of position continually is a coaching issue too.  Changes need to be made.  MUST be made.  Or this is what we will get
Rollers
Hall of Famer

01-15-2018, 12:14 PM

all the good linebackers will be long gone by the time we draft anyway. We will NOT sign a good one in free agency as that's not the Steelers way right? So these are the guys we roll with
Crash
Hall of Famer

01-15-2018, 12:26 PM

They trucked us WITH Shazier in week 5.

The scheme stinks. It's overrated. It's always been overrated.

But LeBeau was a great guy so he skated free.

Until a PITTSBURGH GUY became the OC.

Then it all changed, as predicted by me before Haley coached ONE GAME in Pittsburgh.
Crash
Hall of Famer

01-15-2018, 12:27 PM

Seven years earlier.

https://twitter.com/KaylonT_/status/952619820188618753
RaynorShyne
Hall of Famer

01-15-2018, 02:22 PM

(01-15-2018, 07:56 AM)mcmillenandwife Wrote:
(01-15-2018, 07:44 AM)Cali-Steeler Wrote: All Tomlin... The blocked punt at the 50. The defense gave us a chance. They go with 2 crappy running plays and non completed pass. That snapped all the momentum. We needed to score then to tie it up.

Just as bad, in my opinion... as bad as the pair of stupid 4th & 1 play calls... as bad as the total lack of adjustment on defense... as bad as Vince Williams being endlessly out of position in the first half... was the decision to try on onside kick at the end with two timeouts and the 2-minute warning in our pocket. I realize the defense was struggling. But at least you give your team a chance instead of giving them the ball in FG range to seal it.

This game was the worst example of situational play calling/decision making I've seen in a very long time.

Ben Roethlisberger throws for 569 yds and 5 TDs with only 1 INT and we flipping LOSE??? I realize Shazier was the glue holding our defense together, but my goodness... there's no excuse for losing a game when we put up 42 points on offense. 

To your point, Cali... do what it takes to go get a score after the blocked punt. Pick up that first down and go tie the game.

There were many, many calls in this game that turn my stomach... but I think the two that make me sickest are the 4th and 1 calls. Those will make me crazy all off-season. 4th and 1 and we try an outside toss 5 yards in the backfield against THIS defense??? 4th and 1 and instead of a QB sneak, we throw a low percentage pass 20 yards downfield?

I don't normally blame the coaching, but.....what......the.....hell.

4th and 1.  Not one.  4th and 9 inches.  Against a team that soundly gave you the middle finger and confidently went for it on 4th and goal from the 3.  Why?  Bacause they knew you couldn't stop them.

Back to that 4th and 9 inches.  For anyone who's played football - that's a man-up moment.  That's where you beat the man in front of you.  Have you  6′ 5″, 241 lbs Quarterback stick the damn ball over the line.  Do we do that?  Do we man up?  No.  We run a friggin SWEEP AGAINST A FAST D.

Then, after numerous, fantastic comebacks from a great offense - our coach publicly states, "I have no faith in my defense" and we execute the ugliest onsides kick of the year.  

There are no words....
SteelThePain82
Hall of Famer

01-15-2018, 03:19 PM

(01-15-2018, 02:22 PM)RaynorShyne Wrote:
(01-15-2018, 07:56 AM)mcmillenandwife Wrote:

I don't normally blame the coaching, but.....what......the.....hell.

4th and 1.  Not one.  4th and 9 inches.  Against a team that soundly gave you the middle finger and confidently went for it on 4th and goal from the 3.  Why?  Bacause they knew you couldn't stop them.

Back to that 4th and 9 inches.  For anyone who's played football - that's a man-up moment.  That's where you beat the man in front of you.  Have you  6′ 5″, 241 lbs Quarterback stick the damn ball over the line.  Do we do that?  Do we man up?  No.  We run a friggin SWEEP AGAINST A FAST D.

Then, after numerous, fantastic comebacks from a great offense - our coach publicly states, "I have no faith in my defense" and we execute the ugliest onsides kick of the year.  

There are no words....

The thing that kills me the most is Tomlin's post game presser.
You could tell that he was pissed off, but he basically stood there and said that he stood by EVERY PLAY CALLING DECISION MADE!
When asked his excuse was "we didn't execute".
I don't know how you guys took that, but to me, he basically threw the players under the bus to absolve himself of guilt for his (and his coordinators) own bad decisions with those statements!
He completely threw his defense as a whole under the bus.

In my honest opinion, it's time to clean house with this coaching staff!

I started out WANTING to like Tomlin, I REALLY did!
But each and every year of results like this have just soured it for me.
Yes, Haley's play calling sucks, but Tomlin let's it happen without veto!
For as much as we all dislike Haley, Butler's defense has been fundamentally horrendous!! Can't cover! Can't wrap up tackle! Can't create pressure! AWFUL!!

As for the position coaches...
Obviously the offensive position coaches should all be safe, except for our WR Coach Richard Mann who is retiring, and Offensive Line Coach Mike Munchak who is going to be interviewing for Head Coaching jobs (though I hope he comes back to us, possibly even with a promotion!).
On the Defensive side, OLB Coach Joey Porter and DB Coach Carnell Lake should be shown the door.
The sentiment of bringing back former players to coach is nice and all, but when the production and development of players at those positions is THIS bad, it CANNOT be ignored!!
DL Coach/Asst Head Coach John Mitchell is the ONLY defensive coach that SHOULD be safe.
ILB Coach Jerry Olsavsky has to be on the bubble with Porter and Lake though.
SteelThePain82
Hall of Famer

01-15-2018, 03:22 PM

(01-15-2018, 11:34 AM)mcmillenandwife Wrote:

Dupree has/had the physical tools to be good, but there's just no development at Linebacker or Defensive Back to speak of.
Time for Porter, Lake, and Olsavsky to be shown the door.
Chucktownsteeler
Hall of Famer

01-15-2018, 03:38 PM

(01-15-2018, 12:14 PM)Rollers Wrote: all the good linebackers will be long gone by the time we draft anyway.  We will NOT sign a good one in free agency as that's not the Steelers way right?  So these are the guys we roll with

Thet'll be very good ILB's available when we draft. The problem is we need at least (2) and a safety. Not to mention:

Future QB, RB, WR, OLB....

Next - Minkah, #39!
SteelThePain82
Hall of Famer

01-15-2018, 03:50 PM

It's time to cut Mike Mitchell loose.
He costs WAY too much friggin' $$$ for what he brings to the field!
That alone should free some cap space to go after a couple free agents to competently fill in this defense.

MLB and Safety should be priorities this offseason!
Krunch
Hall of Famer

01-15-2018, 05:30 PM

[Image: mediocrity.jpg]

1.  I continue my NFL Boycott so despite the game being on at work today only saw a few glances as I walked past the breakroom.  I've gotta say, ever since Week 3, when the Tunnel Rats hid from the Anthem, I have had my most stress-free season in my 45 years (1972) of being a Steeler fanatic.  Unless the team does something really bad again, I will be back to watching games again in 2018.

2.  Based on what I have read and video clips viewed, my disdain for Tomlin is only intensified.  It is HIS job to judge talent in both players and coaches.  His Coordinators are HIS responsibility.  Their performance reflect his capabilities and as such he shoud be held accountable for same.  Tomlin is WEAK with a capital W.  For God's sake a Head Coach has to have impecable leadership qualities.  They have to have long-range strategies and performance goals and when need be they have to be a LEADER and have the brass balls to take over if the situation is bad such as during a game.  AND they have to make tough decisions and fire and hire at appropriate times and not need to wait until Daddy from the Front Office makes the tough decisions for them.  I remember Cower during games intervening and demanding adjustments.  He got burnt by it sometimes as I recall, but he at least OWNED his team and wasn't parlayzed by fear and confusion.

3.  Tomlin's teams have so, so many times played uninspired and shown up ill-prepared for the games that matter.  I can't remember many important, fate of the season, on the line games when his teams have come out and played with intensity and drive for an entire four quarters.  Why are his teams so often reacting to a crisis during a game instead of showing themselves to be in command and dominating the game with prepareness and execution?  This is not on the players, it is on Tomlin, plain and simple.  HIS GD Team!!

4.  Tomlin's players are,,,,, I can't even come up with a word for it.  I hate the thought of players seemingly spending their time rehearsing like the 10th Grade Drama Club for their cutesy-pie celebrations.  All I know is this, every minute dreaming up these childish displays is minutes not concentrating on your craft, your position and your next opponent.  Ju-Ju Smith is young and all, but all season, I was bothered by his love of the camera and feel he should be in his playbook more and less in his off-field ego building.   All the drama with Bell, AB, Bryant.  Jeesum Crow, can anyone imagine Bilicheat tolerating such nonsense on the team he takes ownership of?  Do you think players on championship caliber teams even allow themselves to be distracted away from their primary duty of spending their time focused on one thing - the Lombardi?  I mean, the Marvin Lewis's of the game collect jailbirds and whack jobs so you expect a lot of noise and distractions and you also know they aren't about to have the needed focus and drive to ever become a champion.  Have the Steelers entered this same realm under Tomlin?  I'm not sure he has the skill set and capability to get his players to concentrate on priorities and step away from their distractions.  You could give an Army Batallion every conceiveable top line weapon in the world and have highly experienced and trained soldiers to utilize them, but put an incompetent leader in charge and you'll get results that reflect their imcompetence.  Did the Jaguars look like they played for a lousy leader and did they seem not to be focused on becoming champions?

5.  Tomlin's inability to judge talent and especially to build and develop people into top caliber players is a glaring weakness shown throughout his years in Pittsburgh.  Pete Carrol built a hell of a championship team (did not inherit it) with players made up almost exclusively from the third round and beyond.  He and his staff knew how to motivate, teach, mentor and grow these people into the type of thoroughbreds you need to go the distance,,,,AND they knew how to inspire them to WANT TO BE CHAMPIONS.  There is a large void between making speeches about winning a Super Bowl and having the capability to create a focus and a fever in every player to becoming a champion versus a member of a team that had a pretty good season yet again.  Tomlin's teams are always pretty good, but that is not what I for one want out of my Steelers.  Good Enough Is Good Enough is a disease inherant in his tenure.  You can give this guy all the talent you want in new coordinators, but he will just blow it again and again. (But he'll be really cool at his press conferences and have some nice sounding sound bytes)

6.  In sumary:  Tomlin / Weakness / Drama / Immaturity / Distractions / Mediocrity / February Observer

OK, finished, but I feel  I left out an awful lot.  So, begin with the Tomlin apologies.  Might even toss in a few I don't want Tomlin to succeed because he is black.  Of course, let's here, "Tomlin doesn't drop passes and miss tackles." Of course I might snappily come back with, but should properly drafted, well coached, inspired players play like this on way too regular of a basis?

THE SPEED OF THE LEADER DETERMINES THE SPEED OF THE PACK.

"Just give me a six-pack and 30 minutes to rest and lets go out and play 'em again!"  
  - Jack Lambert
(This post was last modified: 01-15-2018, 05:33 PM by Krunch.)
sandfan
Hall of Famer

01-15-2018, 10:55 PM

The standard is the standard. I guess with Tomlin that means never having a losing season. He's had a HOF QB his entire career and has gotten over the hump once. That's enough, I guess, for Tomlin supporters and maybe enough for most franchises in the league. For me, and most Pgh fans, I think not.

I listened to the game while driving back from helping my son run his business. Still have not watched one since the team left Alejandro hanging in Chicago. I'm one of those ex fans who have tuned out the NFL although I do enjoy reading sites like this for fan insights. Have not attended or watched an NFL game since Chicago and I'm not sure I'll watch the super bowl but will likely attend a party and enjoy that atmosphere.

The NFL and player fools will get, I hope, appropriately punished when the next TV contract is negotiated. I truly hope the player's wallets are light enough that they finally realize just how foolish they have been and how hollow and stupid their social justice cop hating military disrespecting attitude was. I wish a pox on each and every one who took a knee.

The college playoffs were outstanding. Very much unlike the Steeler post season. Which has been just another repeat of the Tomlin standard.

For me the buck always starts and stops at the top. Words are always less important than actions. Coach cliche just does not have it in my view. He was a PC hire that made sense for the Rooneys but I believe he's under performed considering the talent on this team and the fire in the belly of the fans. I never expected he would be as good Belicheat but Tomlin's hardly even posed a threat. I'll grant you that Brady is one of the best of all time but the gap between him and Ben is hardly the chasm that exists between Tomlin and Belicheat.

Tomlin will not be cut loose. That just not the liberal PC or Steeler way. He will be allowed to fester and play out his string of standards for as long as he likes. How sad for the city and its fans. Most of which will only look back and imagine what might have been with Ben in the saddle. Sort of like some do when thinking about passing on Marino in the draft. How great would it have been to have him sandwiched between Terry and Ben?

The NFL and Steelers have become more and more of a diversion for me as I've matured. I think that's a good thing since the passion and performance I felt and saw in the 70's is likely never to return. For a Steeler fan that's the standard and something Tomlin will never understand let alone achieve.
Rollers
Hall of Famer

01-15-2018, 10:59 PM

i have been told over and over on this board that it is not the job of coaches to motivate players. That the other side gets paid as well. I'm to the point where if that is true then there is no fix for what's wrong with the Steelers unless we can somehow not get the other side paid. The weaknesses of this coaching staff is well documented. It's there for anyone to see yet this iteration of the Rooney ownership appears to be blind to what is needed so on we go. Tomlin will do nothing about his assistants. The Rooney's will do nothing but seek continuity. They're making millions off this team as is. Noll was the last truly great coach we had. Maybe the only one. Cowher was no better than Tomlin. Yeah he didn't have a QB. Tough. He should have evaluated the talent out there and gotten one when we didn't draft in the bottom half of the order. That's on him. 13 - 3 and I never felt this team would win a single play off game. And I was right. Now we have maybe 2 years with Ben. CHANGE THE STEELERS WAY NEXT YEAR. Go get a linebacker in free agency that will change the dynamic of that group. Steelers won't though it's not their "way"
mcmillenandwife
Administrator

01-16-2018, 12:43 AM

I made a short video last night in my basement to express my postgame thoughts. I think my thoughts and analysis are pretty much on-the-mark, but see what you think. 

Rollers
Hall of Famer

01-16-2018, 01:38 AM

yeah Tim that pretty much sums up the Steelers under Tomlin. Well said
Chucktownsteeler
Hall of Famer

01-16-2018, 03:23 AM

I am starting to believe Art II is a suit and as long as the cash is flowing he don't cared if the Steelers are 16-0 or 0-16. Doesn't seem to be a football man in the lines of his father and grandfather.

Next - Minkah, #39!