Ben Roethlisberger: I'm not free to check to QB sneak
RaynorShyne
Hall of Famer

01-17-2018, 04:57 AM

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000...o-qb-sneak

Ben Roethlisberger's big frame seemingly makes him an ideal candidate for quarterback sneaks. After Sunday's season-ending loss to the Jacksonville Jaguars, many were wondering why the Pittsburgh Steelers didn't let Big Ben put his head down and try to burrow through the Jags' line on a pair of fourth down plays.

Speaking on 93.7 The Fan in Pittsburgh on Tuesday, Roethlisberger said the team's long-running aversion to running sneaks is coach Mike Tomlin's decision and that he doesn't even "have the freedom to check to a quarterback sneak because we don't have that call if we're not in the huddle."

"I truly have never said I don't want to run it," Roethlisberger said, who added that Tomlin laughs when he lobbies to run a QB draw. "I have asked for it. I am fine with it. If they want to call it, I'm all for it."

"It's been a while since we've run the quarterback sneak," Roethlisberger said in the postgame news conference. "I'm for it, but it's kinda over my head why we don't do it. I'm not going to second guess why we don't run the quarterback sneak. I don't know."
(This post was last modified: 01-17-2018, 04:57 AM by RaynorShyne.)
mcmillenandwife
Administrator

01-17-2018, 07:03 AM

(01-17-2018, 04:57 AM)RaynorShyne Wrote: http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000...o-qb-sneak

Ben Roethlisberger's big frame seemingly makes him an ideal candidate for quarterback sneaks. After Sunday's season-ending loss to the Jacksonville Jaguars, many were wondering why the Pittsburgh Steelers didn't let Big Ben put his head down and try to burrow through the Jags' line on a pair of fourth down plays.

Speaking on 93.7 The Fan in Pittsburgh on Tuesday, Roethlisberger said the team's long-running aversion to running sneaks is coach Mike Tomlin's decision and that he doesn't even "have the freedom to check to a quarterback sneak because we don't have that call if we're not in the huddle."

"I truly have never said I don't want to run it," Roethlisberger said, who added that Tomlin laughs when he lobbies to run a QB draw. "I have asked for it. I am fine with it. If they want to call it, I'm all for it."

"It's been a while since we've run the quarterback sneak," Roethlisberger said in the postgame news conference. "I'm for it, but it's kinda over my head why we don't do it. I'm not going to second guess why we don't run the quarterback sneak. I don't know."

Yes, there it is. That's the quote I was talking about earlier. 

The fools on NFL Network (Sanders and Tomlinson, whose job is apparently to behave like middle schoolers and do little other than rip on other people) basically fried Ben because they said he threw his coaches under the bus with this. I totally disagree. He was asked the question and he answered honestly.
Chucktownsteeler
Hall of Famer

01-17-2018, 07:42 AM

He should have just snuck it. He takes off running twice during the game, once with a faked lateral and the other with a rear pass to Bell for a TD. I am sure neither of these plays were practiced and there is much more of a chance of injury to Ben in either.

As the Emperor Chas Noll once said: You can't play the game not to get hurt and be successful.

Next - Minkah, #39!
  [Image: chucktown_sig_pic.jpg]