Tomlin defends decision to onside kick in loss to Jags
RaynorShyne
Hall of Famer

01-18-2018, 12:53 AM

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000...ss-to-jags 

"I know analytically they probably fall in the lower percentages and things of that nature," Tomlin said, via ESPN's Jeremy Fowler. "If I err, I'm always going to err on the side of action in an effort to win. My guys know that about me. I think more importantly them knowing that about me, they expect that from me. I don't fear failure. I'm going to do what's required to pursue victory, even if it comes across as unconventional. I'm certainly not going to steer away from decision-making for fear of ridicule. Those guys put a lot on the line when we step into stadiums to play. I, in turn, am responsible for putting a lot on the line and embrace doing so. I understand when things don't work out and the criticism that's associated with it. I embrace that. But I go to work with men every day that lay a lot on the line when they step in stadiums as well. I'm just going to provide the same efforts that they provide me."

The Steelers' defense couldn't stop the Jags most of the game, playing into Tomlin's decision. Still, Blake Bortles was quarterbacking Jacksonville, not Tom Brady. If his defense couldn't get a stop in that situation -- a much higher percentage than recovering the onside kick -- Pittsburgh didn't deserve to win. Did Tomlin not see how the Jags handled a late-game situation with Bortles in Arizona earlier in the year, not trusting the quarterback to win the game?
Cali-Steeler
Hall of Famer

01-18-2018, 01:03 AM

Bottom line ____ Tomlins made bad decisions. And it gets overlooked by the people up front who dont care. A winning season is a winning season. Hold on for the ride as we see more of this and no changes. Maybe Haleys gone (MHO)

But the payers are not responding and Tomlin needed to take the defense by the horns and fix it 3 years ago. Still the same result. The defense isnt working. Major changes need to be made on defense with players and coaches.
Chucktownsteeler
Hall of Famer

01-18-2018, 03:29 AM

The on-side kick was bad enough, but the last kick-off beat was mind boggling. Why did he kick it deep? Try another on-side kick and the Stanford band fumble-rooskie play.

A real HC (first wouldn't make these assoholic blunders) but would have kicked the FG at approximately 53 seconds left (now down by 7) and then tried an on-side kick. At that point in the game down by 10 (thanks to his previous idiot calls) you need 2 scores. He ran all the time out on himself trying to get the TD.

Tomlin has no football intelligence and wants to surround himself with idiots and dolts so he has no internal competition to be concerned about.

Next - Minkah, #39!
  [Image: chucktown_sig_pic.jpg]
mcmillenandwife
Administrator

01-18-2018, 04:04 AM

(01-18-2018, 12:53 AM)RaynorShyne Wrote: http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000...ss-to-jags 

"I know analytically they probably fall in the lower percentages and things of that nature," Tomlin said, via ESPN's Jeremy Fowler. "If I err, I'm always going to err on the side of action in an effort to win. My guys know that about me. I think more importantly them knowing that about me, they expect that from me. I don't fear failure. I'm going to do what's required to pursue victory, even if it comes across as unconventional. I'm certainly not going to steer away from decision-making for fear of ridicule. Those guys put a lot on the line when we step into stadiums to play. I, in turn, am responsible for putting a lot on the line and embrace doing so. I understand when things don't work out and the criticism that's associated with it. I embrace that. But I go to work with men every day that lay a lot on the line when they step in stadiums as well. I'm just going to provide the same efforts that they provide me."

The Steelers' defense couldn't stop the Jags most of the game, playing into Tomlin's decision. Still, Blake Bortles was quarterbacking Jacksonville, not Tom Brady. If his defense couldn't get a stop in that situation -- a much higher percentage than recovering the onside kick -- Pittsburgh didn't deserve to win. Did Tomlin not see how the Jags handled a late-game situation with Bortles in Arizona earlier in the year, not trusting the quarterback to win the game?

Blah, blah, blah, Mike... it was a stupid call. But after that damage was done, it was also stupid to not kick a FG the moment you got in range and try another onside kick to cover the 2-score deficit instead of squandering all your remaining time on a meaningless TD.

The Jags game was Tomlin's worst performance as a head coach IMO. Not a good sign when your worst performance comes a decade into your head coaching career.
Rollers
Hall of Famer

01-18-2018, 07:42 AM

(01-18-2018, 04:04 AM)mcmillenandwife Wrote:
(01-18-2018, 12:53 AM)RaynorShyne Wrote: http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000...ss-to-jags 

Blah, blah, blah, Mike... it was a stupid call. But after that damage was done, it was also stupid to not kick a FG the moment you got in range and try another onside kick to cover the 2-score deficit instead of squandering all your remaining time on a meaningless TD.

The Jags game was Tomlin's worst performance as a head coach IMO. Not a good sign when your worst performance comes a decade into your head coaching career.
couldn't have said it better Tim
Chucktownsteeler
Hall of Famer

01-18-2018, 08:08 AM

I believe Tomlin was consumed by looking forward to the Patriots. Textbook trap game, plus the Jags have a decent defense.

Next - Minkah, #39!
  [Image: chucktown_sig_pic.jpg]
Cali-Steeler
Hall of Famer

01-18-2018, 08:13 AM

(01-18-2018, 08:08 AM)Chucktownsteeler Wrote:

I believe Tomlin was consumed by looking forward to the Patriots. Textbook trap game, plus the Jags have a decent defense.

Exactly... Idiot hasnt learned anything!  On another note > Tom Brady was injured in practice today.