harrison coming up big
Rollers
Hall of Famer

01-22-2018, 09:04 AM

2 sacks so far  one strip sack.  Forced Bortles out of the the pocket on the incomplete 4th down.  Yeah we didn't need that kind of play out of him.  Another great choice by Tomlin
Crash
All Pro Veteran

01-22-2018, 09:08 AM

Refs win again.

Quick whistle on the fumble recovery cost the Jags a TD up 10 points.
Rollers
Hall of Famer

01-22-2018, 09:15 AM

(01-22-2018, 09:08 AM)Crash Wrote: Refs win again.  

Quick whistle on the fumble recovery cost the Jags a TD up 10 points.

I'm beginning to think that there's something to the Pats and the refs.  Hate to because I never believed it before but man almost no penalties on the pats all night.  Harrison is having a good last run.  Wish he'd had that with us
RaynorShyne
All Pro Veteran

01-22-2018, 11:18 AM

James Harrison: 'It feels good' to reach Super Bowl

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000...super-bowl
bbbooger
Special Teamer

01-22-2018, 12:07 PM

LeGarrette Blount 2.0... (who's also going back to the big game, BTW). I'm beginning to think the best way to get to the Super Bowl is to get cut by coach T mid-season.
Freakin' pi$$e$ me off Deebo can make meaningful contributions for the Pats down the stretch, but wasn't good enough to get on the field for us ?!
Rollers
Hall of Famer

01-22-2018, 12:40 PM

I'm glad Harrison will get a ring this year. Hope he shows it to Tomlin
mcmillenandwife
Administrator

01-22-2018, 11:42 PM

(01-22-2018, 12:40 PM)Rollers Wrote: I'm glad Harrison will get a ring this year.  Hope he shows it to Tomlin

Well, I hope he doesn't get a ring, but I'm glad he is doing well. He'll always be a Steeler to me and I have no animosity toward him for making a move. I think he deserved much more playing time in Pittsburgh and I'm certain he would've been helpful to our efforts in the playoffs.

I still don't understand the way we handled that situation. Makes zero sense to me.
Cali-Steeler
Hall of Famer

01-22-2018, 11:59 PM

(01-22-2018, 11:42 PM)mcmillenandwife Wrote:
(01-22-2018, 12:40 PM)Rollers Wrote: I'm glad Harrison will get a ring this year.  Hope he shows it to Tomlin

Well, I hope he doesn't get a ring, but I'm glad he is doing well. He'll always be a Steeler to me and I have no animosity toward him for making a move. I think he deserved much more playing time in Pittsburgh and I'm certain he would've been helpful to our efforts in the playoffs.

I still don't understand the way we handled that situation. Makes zero sense to me.

Nothing Tomlin does, makes any sense to me anymore. Even if Harrison was in a reduced roll, they still could have used him more. He always comes up with a sac or a strip in a game. 

I will never root for the cheatriots. I just hope the Eagles have the Defense to do it.  I dont think Tomlin is the man for the job anymore. If this defense stays the same next year (And it will) if the Steelers go on like this for next few years and no SB. 

People will point to his record. 

But records are just stats if you don't get to the Superbowl at least one more time in the last 8 years.
RaynorShyne
All Pro Veteran

01-23-2018, 12:40 AM

(01-22-2018, 11:59 PM)Cali-Steeler Wrote:

Nothing Tomlin does, makes any sense to me anymore. Even if Harrison was in a reduced roll, they still could have used him more. He always comes up with a sac or a strip in a game. 

I will never root for the cheatriots. I just hope the Eagles have the Defense to do it.  I dont think Tomlin is the man for the job anymore. If this defense stays the same next year (And it will) if the Steelers go on like this for next few years and no SB. 

But records are just stats if you don't get to the Superbowl at least one more time in the last 8 years.

our supposed "window" is certainly closing (though in this NFL - how the hell do you define a 'window'?)
bbbooger
Special Teamer

01-23-2018, 06:06 AM

(01-22-2018, 11:59 PM)Cali-Steeler Wrote:

Here's the record I point to:  8 playoff appearances, 4 one and dones... Including embarrassing to Tebow and BBBortles.  The playoffs are where true coaches earn their keep, Tomlin has proven he doesn't have what it takes to win big games.  I'm convinced the real reason for his early success was his willingness to stay the heck out of the way and allow Cowher's staff and players to do their thing.  Veterans like him because he's a buddy, but we need a Head COACH!

The greatest indictment against him, IMHO, is that he hasn't shown any improvement (at all) in the areas of greatest weakness: keeping his teams focused when facing lesser opponents, in-game decision making, and clock management.  He's in the exact same place in those deficiencies that he was 8-10 years ago.  More of the same = more of the same... Makes me sad !
Rollers
Hall of Famer

01-31-2018, 08:55 AM

Well I'm going to watch to see if Harrison can continue to play well. Sure am glad we didn't we need a linebacker that could rush the passer and stuff the run. Pfftt we had a plan!
Crash
All Pro Veteran

01-31-2018, 09:37 AM

Easily could have rotated James and Watt between inside and outside as both can do and not waste time with Fort, #44, Chickello, etc.

What a wasted chance. SMH...
Rollers
Hall of Famer

01-31-2018, 09:53 AM

(01-31-2018, 09:37 AM)Crash Wrote: Easily could have rotated James and Watt between inside and outside as both can do and not waste time with Fort, #44, Chickello, etc.

What a wasted chance.  SMH...

Tomlin's arrogance
bbbooger
Special Teamer

01-31-2018, 10:15 AM

(01-31-2018, 09:53 AM)Rollers Wrote:
(01-31-2018, 09:37 AM)Crash Wrote: Easily could have rotated James and Watt between inside and outside as both can do and not waste time with Fort, #44, Chickello, etc.

What a wasted chance.  SMH...

Tomlin's arrogance

That's it...!  There's a stubborn arrogance about that guy that keeps him from learning from his mistakes and limits both his growth and the growth of his team.  What's that they say about doing the same thing and expecting different results...?
Crash
All Pro Veteran

02-05-2018, 01:53 PM

Pete Carroll and Kyle Shanahan are the ONLY REASONS why the dreamy Tom Brady hasn't lost FIVE STRAIGHT Super Bowls.
(This post was last modified: 02-05-2018, 05:11 PM by Crash.)
RaynorShyne
All Pro Veteran

02-05-2018, 02:44 PM

Censored Tom Brady

Watched three hours of a pretty good game, to finally see him lose it in the end.  I'll sleep well tonight.
RaynorShyne
All Pro Veteran

02-05-2018, 02:45 PM

And yes, 92 got close a couple times - but he needs to hang it up. As an every down LB, he's done.
mcmillenandwife
Administrator

02-05-2018, 02:54 PM

(02-05-2018, 02:44 PM)RaynorShyne Wrote: Censored Tom Brady

Watched three hours of a pretty good game, to finally see him lose it in the end.  I'll sleep well tonight.

Dilly, Dilly!  Thumbsup Laugh

[Image: dilly_dilly.jpg]
Cali-Steeler
Hall of Famer

02-05-2018, 03:05 PM

Agreed! Screw Tom Brady!
Rollers
Hall of Famer

02-05-2018, 08:36 PM

(02-05-2018, 02:45 PM)RaynorShyne Wrote: And yes, 92 got close a couple times - but he needs to hang it up.  As an every down LB, he's done.

That's better than our linebackers accomplished.   My point is he was probably at 39 better than the guys we put on the field at the end of the year or perhaps it was the way our linebackers were coached?  Either way we go into next year with that defense.  You got a young corner already claiming he has CTE and perhaps one decent corner in Haden.  Rookies can't seem to make much of an impact in our D so we draft a couple young guys and wait another couple years for them to develop because our head coach stands pat with the guys that gave us that defense.  Maybe we can put up 50 a game next year?  Shazier was our best defensive player and he's gone.  Watt tailed off horribly at the end of the year and Dupree was just not a factor.  Williams was awful with poor angles and blown assignements.  There ladies and gentlemen are your linebackers for next year.  Defensive line was horrible at freeing up the linebackers to make plays but it was hard to tell since the linebackers were never where they were supposed to be.  Can't afford to make an impact move this year so if there's any help via the draft it will have to come late in each round.  Yes I know they played better in the first half of the season.  James had a lot left in the tank for the playoffs yet never sniffed the field.  I refuse to believe he couldn't have least added something to the D with help on the pass rush and setting the edge which we never seemed to be able to do.   We need new ideas on D.  Need to change the concept or be able to coach the players up that we have on the field.
mcmillenandwife
Administrator

02-05-2018, 10:31 PM

(02-05-2018, 08:36 PM)Rollers Wrote: Rookies can't seem to make much of an impact in our D so we draft a couple young guys and wait another couple years for them to develop...

Well, rookies CAN have an impact... they just usually don't. Kendrell Bell comes to mind. A true BEAST his rookie year. Such a shame he couldn't stay healthy. But he proves it's possible for rookie LBs to have an impact. It's been 16-17 years since it happened... but it IS possible. 

Fingers are crossed. 

BTW, it's probably unrealistic and the larger part of me truly hopes he doesn't attempt it, but it's still too early to completely rule out Shazier. 

Regarding James Harrison, I'm really, REALLY glad he didn't get a ring with them. That allows him to still be a Steeler to me. He played very well early, I thought. Didn't get a sack but was the most disruptive of anyone in N.E.'s front 7. He got very close several times. But late, he was gassed... just going thru the motions. In fairness, the entire N.E. defense looked like they were just going through the motions for much of the game. 

James should've gotten more playing time in Pittsburgh. It's sad that the staff wasn't able to massage that situation skillfully enough to make him an inspirational leader in the locker room instead of the cancer he ultimately became. Maybe it wasn't possible without him being a full-time starter? But I think an engaged, focused James Harrison would've made us a better team. Still sad about the way it ended for him in Pittsburgh.

But happy about the way it ended for him in New England.  Cool02
Rollers
Hall of Famer

02-05-2018, 11:16 PM

(02-05-2018, 10:31 PM)mcmillenandwife Wrote:
(02-05-2018, 08:36 PM)Rollers Wrote: Rookies can't seem to make much of an impact in our D so we draft a couple young guys and wait another couple years for them to develop...

Well, rookies CAN have an impact... they just usually don't. Kendrell Bell comes to mind. A true BEAST his rookie year. Such a shame he couldn't stay healthy. But he proves it's possible for rookie LBs to have an impact. It's been 16-17 years since it happened... but it IS possible. 

Fingers are crossed. 

BTW, it's probably unrealistic and the larger part of me truly hopes he doesn't attempt it, but it's still too early to completely rule out Shazier. 

Regarding James Harrison, I'm really, REALLY glad he didn't get a ring with them. That allows him to still be a Steeler to me. He played very well early, I thought. Didn't get a sack but was the most disruptive of anyone in N.E.'s front 7. He got very close several times. But late, he was gassed... just going thru the motions. In fairness, the entire N.E. defense looked like they were just going through the motions for much of the game. 

James should've gotten more playing time in Pittsburgh. It's sad that the staff wasn't able to massage that situation skillfully enough to make him an inspirational leader in the locker room instead of the cancer he ultimately became. Maybe it wasn't possible without him being a full-time starter? But I think an engaged, focused James Harrison would've made us a better team. Still sad about the way it ended for him in Pittsburgh.

But happy about the way it ended for him in New England.  Cool02

I agree Tim.  But he could have been a situational LB in our D  Pass rush.  Maybe 5 - 10 series a game and only 1 or 2 plays on those series.  My point is we could have USED him to provide some pressure in situations and we didn't.  We need new ideas on defense and we're not going to get that.  We need a better linebacker coach and we're not going to get that either. So on we go
RaynorShyne
All Pro Veteran

02-07-2018, 12:47 AM

(02-05-2018, 10:31 PM)mcmillenandwife Wrote:

Fingers are crossed. 

But happy about the way it ended for him in New England.
  Cool02

Last two lines.

Dilly!  Dilly!
Chucktownsteeler
Hall of Famer

02-07-2018, 02:57 AM

Harrison - soon to be a Cleveland brown.

Dilly - Dilly!

Pray for 50!
Crash
All Pro Veteran

02-07-2018, 08:38 AM

Rookies played for every DC not named LeBeau since 1988 or so.

LeBeau was too old and too lazy to actually coach them up.
Rollers
Hall of Famer

02-07-2018, 09:34 AM

(02-07-2018, 08:38 AM)Crash Wrote: Rookies played for every DC not named LeBeau since 1988 or so.

LeBeau was too old and too lazy to actually coach them up.

we do not have a ton of coaching up going on right now
Chucktownsteeler
Hall of Famer

02-07-2018, 02:33 PM

OMD wouldn't field a player under 30 on the defense.

Dilly - Dilly!

Pray for 50!
Rollers
Hall of Famer

02-07-2018, 07:59 PM

(02-07-2018, 02:33 PM)Chucktownsteeler Wrote: OMD wouldn't field a player under 30 on the defense.

good thing defense doesn't matter anymore
Chucktownsteeler
Hall of Famer

02-07-2018, 11:11 PM

(02-07-2018, 07:59 PM)Rollers Wrote:
(02-07-2018, 02:33 PM)Chucktownsteeler Wrote: OMD wouldn't field a player under 30 on the defense.

Well, for at least last season the age old adage "defense wins championships" didn't apply. 

Basic stats from the SB:

1,100 yards in a Super Bowl. 1 punt. 1 sack (combined both teams). 1 - 3 and out. No interceptions. 

The pendulum has swung to this being a pin-ball offensive league and it just may stay that way for a while.

Dilly - Dilly!

Pray for 50!
Rollers
Hall of Famer

02-08-2018, 12:22 AM

(02-07-2018, 11:11 PM)Chucktownsteeler Wrote:
(02-07-2018, 07:59 PM)Rollers Wrote:

Well, for at least last season the age old adage "defense wins championships" didn't apply. 

Basic stats from the SB:

1,100 yards in a Super Bowl. 1 punt. 1 sack (combined both teams). 1 - 3 and out. No interceptions. 

The pendulum has swung to this being a pin-ball offensive league and it just may stay that way for a while.

I agree  stop wasting draft picks on a part of the team that doesn't matter anymore