1980 Steelers 16 vs Browns 13
mcmillenandwife
Administrator

05-01-2017, 08:01 PM

1980 Steelers 16 vs Browns 13

Another incredibly emotional game between these two arch rivals comes down to the wire! Of all of my Browns/Steelers games, this one is probably my favorite ever... I still get goose bumps watching the wild finish. Bradshaw and Harris struggle throughout the game, but Lynn Swann is utterly magnificent, carrying the team with 10 clutch catches. Trailing 13-9 in the final moments of the game, the Steelers seem doomed when, after driving inside the Browns 5, Jim Smith flat out drops an easy TD pass and the Steelers turn the ball over on downs. Game over, right? Wrong... remember, this was the era of "the Three Rivers Jinx." The Browns make a fatal error when they try to pass from their own end zone on 3rd down, preserving just enough crucial time for Bradshaw & Swann to maneuver the ball back to the 3-yard line, where Bradshaw hits Swannie for the game-winner with just 8 seconds left! Features a brawl on the way to the locker room at halftime! 
Unregistered

05-10-2017, 08:34 PM

Great ending! For one last time, Swann and the Steelers look like they could return to greatness.
mcmillenandwife
Administrator

05-10-2017, 09:45 PM

(05-10-2017, 08:34 PM)Guest Wrote: Great ending! For one last time, Swann and the Steelers look like they could return to greatness.

Exactly! I was 100% convinced after this game that the Steelers were finally back and ready to put the mantle of greatness back on.  I had the biggest fight of my life with my Browns-loving older brother immediately after this game (after which, we were banned from ever watching football together again by my mom).  Laugh  I was just all up in his face the moment Swann caught the TD and it was ON. He was three years older than me and I was often on the short end of these fights but on this day, he took the corner of a desk in the middle of his back and it was over. Smokin

Unfortunately, the Steelers forgot to show up in Buffalo the following week...  Sick