DeCastro and Tuitt restructure
Chucktownsteeler
Hall of Famer

02-13-2018, 12:26 AM

Frees up about 13.26 million in cap space.

Imma gonna 17 get ready..................................

Dilly - Dilly!

Pray for 50!
(This post was last modified: 02-13-2018, 12:26 AM by Chucktownsteeler.)
Crash
All Pro Veteran

02-13-2018, 07:56 AM

Could be for Bell. Might not be though. He according to my source pissed off the organization during Super Bowl week.

"The ice just got thinner" is what I was told.
sandfan
Hall of Famer

02-13-2018, 12:05 PM

The last 2 super bowl champions won the title with a cadre of average to above average running backs with a total cap hit of less than half of what Bell thinks he's worth. I suggest the best route to #7 is a sign and trade to bolster the defense via a quality starter or a significant improvement in picks.

I don't believe it makes any sense to tie up so much capital in a HOF qb and a running back. There are a number of teams with a cap excess to handle Bell and draft picks or a player or two to offer. I would not fear a trade to the Browns, Skins, Niners or any other team of that ilk. If we can build a quality defense we should have plenty of scoring power with Ben, our receiving core and a couple of decent backs. The OL is pretty solid. The quality of backs on the Pats or Eagles should do pretty well behind it.
Chucktownsteeler
Hall of Famer

02-14-2018, 01:25 AM

It's too bad we can't get a 2-time Super Bowl champ running back like Laguaritte Blou............

Oh wait, never mind.

In all seriousness I think you need a 1-2 punch at RB, something like we had in Peagram and Foster. I think that was the combo. I like running back by committee and put you money elsewhere. Bell is a good back no doubt, just not sure he is worth $17 to $18 million a year.

Dilly - Dilly!

Pray for 50!
bbbooger
Special Teamer

02-14-2018, 06:35 AM

(02-14-2018, 01:25 AM)Chucktownsteeler Wrote: It's too bad we can't get a 2-time Super Bowl champ running back like Laguaritte Blou............

Oh wait, never mind.

In all seriousness I think you need a 1-2 punch at RB, something like we had in Peagram and Foster. I think that was the combo. I like running back by committee and put you money elsewhere. Bell is a good back no doubt, just not sure he is worth I'm sure he's not worth $17 to $18 million a year.

Fixed that for ya...

Peagram and Foster... that brings back some fond memories... and to think we were, at one time, frustrated with Cowher's record in AFC champ games.  Looking back, I'm thinking how remarkable it was that he got his team to that many with the likes of O'Donnell, Slash, et al. under center.  Kinda speaks volumes about the current state of the union...
Rollers
Hall of Famer

02-14-2018, 10:14 AM

(02-14-2018, 06:35 AM)bbbooger Wrote:
(02-14-2018, 01:25 AM)Chucktownsteeler Wrote: It's too bad we can't get a 2-time Super Bowl champ running back like Laguaritte Blou............

Oh wait, never mind.

In all seriousness I think you need a 1-2 punch at RB, something like we had in Peagram and Foster. I think that was the combo. I like running back by committee and put you money elsewhere. Bell is a good back no doubt, just not sure he is worth I'm sure he's not worth $17 to $18 million a year.

Fixed that for ya...

Peagram and Foster... that brings back some fond memories... and to think we were, at one time, frustrated with Cowher's record in AFC champ games.  Looking back, I'm thinking how remarkable it was that he got his team to that many with the likes of O'Donnell, Slash, et al. under center.  Kinda speaks volumes about the current state of the union...

Yeah Cowher and the boys should have done a better job evaluating talent and gone out and gotten a QB.  I don't excuse Cowher for not having a great QB it's partly his fault.
Crash
All Pro Veteran

02-14-2018, 12:39 PM

Cowher wanted Kordell.

They were going to have Jeff Garcia have a try-out, a blizzard cancelled it, they never rescheduled and he signed with the 49ers.

Dilfer wanted to compete for the job in 2001 after he won his ring, Cowher said no, it was Kordell's.

Cowher didn't even want Ben, he wanted Shawn Andrews after HIS choice (Rivers) was a Charger. Dan Rooney drafted Ben.
Rollers
Hall of Famer

02-14-2018, 12:51 PM

(02-14-2018, 12:39 PM)Crash Wrote: Cowher wanted Kordell.  

They were going to have Jeff Garcia have a try-out, a blizzard cancelled it, they never rescheduled and he signed with the 49ers.

Dilfer wanted to compete for the job in 2001 after he won his ring, Cowher said no, it was Kordell's.

Cowher didn't even want Ben, he wanted Shawn Andrews after HIS choice (Rivers) was a Charger.  Dan Rooney drafted Ben.

I have always said the only truly great coach we've ever had was Noll.  Cowher was the exact same cut as Tomlin.  Good coach but not a great one.
bbbooger
Special Teamer

02-14-2018, 02:23 PM

Agree with all the above... my point wasn't Cowher's talent eval, which I agree was suspect when it came to QBs, the point I was trying to make was that he clearly did much more with allot less!
Rollers
Hall of Famer

02-14-2018, 08:13 PM

(02-14-2018, 02:23 PM)bbbooger Wrote: Agree with all the above... my point wasn't Cowher's talent eval, which I agree was suspect when it came to QBs, the point I was trying to make was that he clearly did much more with allot less!

if you're going to criticize Tomlin then you need to acknowledge the fact that the reason Cowher lacked talent was his fault as well.
bbbooger
Special Teamer

02-14-2018, 11:34 PM

(02-14-2018, 08:13 PM)Rollers Wrote:
(02-14-2018, 02:23 PM)bbbooger Wrote: Agree with all the above... my point wasn't Cowher's talent eval, which I agree was suspect when it came to QBs, the point I was trying to make was that he clearly did much more with allot less!

if you're going to criticize Tomlin then you need to acknowledge the fact that the reason Cowher lacked talent was his fault as well.

If you take an honest look at the Steeler's power structure for most of Cowher's time there, you'll have to admit that the ultimate control of the roster was vested elsewhere... Right up until he and Donahoe got wrapped up in their power struggle (which he ultimately won) , after that its fair to criticize Cowher for roster make-up.  That being said I judge a coach's performance, first and foremost, on what he is able to accomplish with the talent he has available.  In that regard Tomlin finishes well behind...
(This post was last modified: 02-15-2018, 12:55 AM by bbbooger.)
Chucktownsteeler
Hall of Famer

02-15-2018, 06:50 AM

Cowher coached in a different ERA. He perennially lost pro-bowler year after as the Rooneys just didn't give the big contracts. Tomlin has had the luxury of an organization that spends like drunken sailors. Noll had his warts as well, but he has 4 rings. Cowher and Tomlin will probably be 1-1 in Super Bowls, when all is said and done.

I think Cowher's last season may have been his best coaching job, akin to what Noll did after starting with losses 51-0 and 42-10 to the browns and Bengals respectively.

Cowher's last year started with Ben's off-season crash and the opening day appendicitis attack, opening the first half of the season 2-6. factor in his wife battling cancer he finished the 2nd half 6-2, a whisker from the play-offs. Believe me, this was a team no one wanted to face post season.

Dilly - Dilly!

Pray for 50!