barnidge
sandfan
Hall of Famer

05-01-2017, 10:31 PM

Cut by the Browns.  Pro bowl year in 2015 and caught over 50 balls in 2016 with a QB staff that is questionable at best.  He's in his early 30's so should have a year or two left.  Why not sign him?  

We paid major bucks to a guy who could not give us a handful of games in 2016.  Is anyone sure he can play more in 2017?  JJ and Gimble are not going to scare any coordinator.  We did not get one of the tight end prospects in the draft.  If money is an issue why not cut Johnson and use the rookie long snapper to offset the cost?  Or not cut and just replace one expensive snapper with one on a rookie contract.  Who knows Barnidge might come in at vet minimum for a shot at a title.  If I were in charge I'd sure take a long hard look.
dbsfgyd1
Hall of Famer

05-02-2017, 12:47 AM

(05-01-2017, 10:31 PM)sandfan Wrote: Cut by the Browns.  Pro bowl year in 2015 and caught over 50 balls in 2016 with a QB staff that is questionable at best.  He's in his early 30's so should have a year or two left.  Why not sign him?  

We paid major bucks to a guy who could not give us a handful of games in 2016.  Is anyone sure he can play more in 2017?  JJ and Gimble are not going to scare any coordinator.  We did not get one of the tight end prospects in the draft.  If money is an issue why not cut Johnson and use the rookie long snapper to offset the cost?  Or not cut and just replace one expensive snapper with one on a rookie contract.  Who knows Barnidge might come in at vet minimum for a shot at a title.  If I were in charge I'd sure take a long hard look.

I'd sure pick up the phone and dial too. Of course you do realize that he looked really good against us as we don't seem to have a knack for covering tight ends. I wonder how he was against the other teams?
The Lakelander
Hall of Famer

05-02-2017, 03:38 AM

Why not? ... though there has to be a reason ...

Big Grin Super Bowl or Bust !!! ... (I'm guessing "Bust") ... but hey ... 
SteelAHoosier
Hall of Famer

05-02-2017, 06:30 AM

Grimble is better than you think and James has been solid. Next!!
dbsfgyd1
Hall of Famer

05-03-2017, 12:58 AM

(05-02-2017, 03:38 AM)( the LeBeauThe Lakelander Wrote: Why not? ... though there has to be a reason ...

I just have a theroy ( one of many that is sure to get shot down) for coverage on traditional inline TEs. The main reason we struggle is we do not get enough interior defensive line pressure, and often have to send one of our ILBs into the offensive back field to make up for it. What this means, is the other ILB has a run check for a draw play, that allows a TE to get a jump on him.

Like I said, and will continue to say, if we get better A-B gap pressure from our DL, our defense will improve dramatically. And that's something with what we have on the roster I don't see improving much. So we will trot out our usual collection of blitzes, which means we will also be playing a lot of zone type secondary coverage, and hope the opposing offense screws it up before they score ( the LeBeau system), and depend on our offense to score often more and hog the clock doing it. It's one h*ll of a way to run a railroad, but this is how football is played in this century.