Sincere interest for Guice at #1 or scare tactic for Bell
Chucktownsteeler
Hall of Famer

03-30-2018, 12:58 AM

The Le’Veon Bell saga has been beaten to death throughout the offseason, but as the 2018 NFL Draft nears, and NFL Free Agency dies down, there are new wrinkles to the situation.

One of those wrinkles would be the Pittsburgh Steelers interest in LSU running back Derrius Guice. Per Jon Ledyard, of Scout.com, not only did the Steelers have a formal meeting with Guice at the NFL Scouting Combine, but they also plan on spending some extra time with him before his Pro Day on April 4th:

One aspect of this situation which Steelers fans will endlessly hear is how there is a very good chance Guice doesn’t even sniff the No. 28 spot in the first round.

So, can you draw any conclusions to this, in regards to the Steelers and Le’Veon Bell? Absolutely you can, but it doesn’t mean those conclusions have anything significance.

Recently, Kevin Colbert spoke to the media while at the NFL Owners Meetings, and he talked about how the NFL Draft can change things, in regards to the team’s situation with Bell. The team does have the option to rescind Bell’s franchise tag, if he doesn’t sign it, and them taking a running back early in the draft could certainly have significance within the situation.

But the thought of the team moving on from Bell entirely is hard to envision. Even if the Steelers do draft a running back early, it doesn’t mean the team would automatically part ways with the most dynamic running back in the NFL next season.

But back to Guice.

Could the Steelers be looking to trade up to take him if he slips past a certain spot in the draft? Anything is possible, and they are certainly doing their homework on the talented running back out of the bayou.
Stay tuned to BTSC for the latest news and notes from the Steelers as they approach the 2018 NFL Draft.

Read more: https://www.behindthesteelcurtain.com/20...-2018-news

Disclaimer: I know, he won't be there when the Steelers pick.

Next - Minkah, #39!
  [Image: chucktown_sig_pic.jpg]
RaynorShyne
Hall of Famer

03-30-2018, 04:02 AM

We're three days from my self-imposed blackout. As of April 1st, I won't read NFL news, or look at anything current until I turn on the Draft - anything else is an exercise in fruition and heartache.

Remember 1998? The spring of 1998 set the stage for one of the great pre-draft debates of all time: Ryan Leaf vs. Peyton Manning. In the lead-up to Round 1, the NFL community went back and forth on whether the strong-armed Leaf out of Washington State or the accomplished Manning from Tennessee should be the first player taken. The GENERAL consensus was that Leaf was tougher, stronger, and could throw harder. Payton was (of course) more cerebral, but was he tough enough to make it in the NFL? After months of intrigue, Manning went No. 1 to the Colts and Leaf went No. 2 to the Chargers.

Of course, Payton flamed out after being crushed by Reggie White in his first professional game and was never heard from again - and as we all know, Ryan Leaf is the first 10-time Super Bowl AND World Series Champion........
Crash
Hall of Famer

03-30-2018, 04:05 AM

I think it's sincere. From what I was told there are some in the organization who are tired of Bell's act, and he further complicated the matter during Super Bowl week.
bbbooger
All Pro Veteran

03-30-2018, 08:41 AM

(03-30-2018, 04:05 AM)Crash Wrote: I think it's sincere.  From what I was told there are some in the organization who are tired of Bell's act, and he further complicated the matter during Super Bowl week.

and again today...?!?
(This post was last modified: 03-30-2018, 08:42 AM by bbbooger.)
Cali-Steeler
Hall of Famer

03-30-2018, 10:11 AM

The Steelers Organization will do the same thing they always do... Let Bell play out his year over the 14.5 Mill. And then let him take offers and leave the next season. This is always how the organization always works. Book it.

They will not trade him.
Crash
Hall of Famer

03-30-2018, 06:08 PM

(03-30-2018, 08:41 AM)bbbooger Wrote:
(03-30-2018, 04:05 AM)Crash Wrote: I think it's sincere.  From what I was told there are some in the organization who are tired of Bell's act, and he further complicated the matter during Super Bowl week.

and again today...?!?

Just another example of his behavior that the organization is getting fed up with.