1978 Steelers 22 at Colts 10 Preseason
mcmillenandwife
Administrator

05-03-2017, 05:22 AM

1978 Steelers 22 at Colts 10 Preseason

The game gets off to a scary start as Terry Bradshaw suffers a broken nose at the end of an ill-advised 16-yard scramble when, in spite of the fact it's a preseason game, Terry finishes the run by putting his head down and plowing into a pair of defenders. Gerela's kicking is horrendous, a portend of the shaky kicking season ahead. Blount picks off a Bert Jones pass early, so Jones tries his luck with rookie CB Ron Johnson. Johnson plays like a seasoned veteran, however, giving Jones nothing and showing flashes of the brilliant rookie season to come. Includes color commentary by LB Andy Russell and features a magnificent effort by rookie FA Ron Scott, who runs several defenders over on his way to a TD on a kickoff return. 
Unregistered

05-04-2017, 09:38 AM

Tim,

You asked us to let you know if we found any games available for trade and such. I used to correspond with a guy named Aaron Mintz, whose site you can Google. (Try "Aaron Mintz Video") On his site are several rare games from the 70s, including two rare local preseason broadcasts from 1978 much like this one. (The opponents are the Falcons and Cowboys.) Also, there are two or three preseason games from 1979 as well, including an NBC production of Steelers-Cowboys. I mention these in particular because they come from the Super Bowl seasons, but there are a few others you don't have as well.

I love your site and hope the NFL lets you keep it. Take care!

Garrett Garlits
mcmillenandwife
Administrator

05-05-2017, 11:30 AM

(05-04-2017, 09:38 AM)Guest Wrote: Tim,

You asked us to let you know if we found any games available for trade and such. I used to correspond with a guy named Aaron Mintz, whose site you can Google. (Try "Aaron Mintz Video") On his site are several rare games from the 70s, including two rare local preseason broadcasts from 1978 much like this one. (The opponents are the Falcons and Cowboys.) Also, there are two or three preseason games from 1979 as well, including an NBC production of Steelers-Cowboys. I mention these in particular because they come from the Super Bowl seasons, but there are a few others you don't have as well.

I love your site and hope the NFL lets you keep it. Take care!

Garrett Garlits

Thanks, Garrett. I'll check it out!
Unregistered

05-12-2017, 11:42 AM

I saw this game. Richmond Va was regional for the Baltimore Colts as well as it was the Redskins! They aired Colts games during the pre season. So I luck out!
Unregistered

06-19-2017, 11:42 AM

Love the site along with seeing games that I was to young to see when they were live.  Is this the game where Terry Bradshaw went to his newer face guard helmet?
mcmillenandwife
Administrator

06-19-2017, 05:02 PM

(06-19-2017, 11:42 AM)Guest Wrote: Is this the game where Terry Bradshaw went to his newer face guard helmet?

Yes, this was Terry's first game with the classic two-bar facemask. Also the year of the Rawlings "ridge" helmet.
Unregistered

06-20-2017, 01:43 AM

Thanks Tim for your reply to my question.  I appreciate all of your hard work on the site.  Keep it up!!   Thumbsup Thumbsup Thumbsup Thumbsup Thumbsup Thumbsup One for each of the 6 Super Bowl wins.  And one more for this season  Thumbsup
mcmillenandwife
Administrator

06-20-2017, 02:12 AM

(06-20-2017, 01:43 AM)Guest Wrote: Thanks Tim for your reply to my question.  I appreciate all of your hard work on the site.  Keep it up!!   Thumbsup Thumbsup Thumbsup Thumbsup Thumbsup Thumbsup One for each of the 6 Super Bowl wins.  And one more for this season  Thumbsup

Thanks for the kudos. Glad you're enjoying the site!  Thumbsup

#7 this year.  Rockon