What's exciting about Samuels
Chucktownsteeler
Hall of Famer

05-08-2018, 05:11 AM

Quote:Posted May 5, 2018

By Mike Prisuta 

NC State H-back catches, runs, scores touchdowns.

Why you should be excited about fifth-round running back Jaylen Samuels:

-Samuels was listed as an H-back at N.C. State and finished his career with the Wolfpack No. 1 in program history in receptions (202), No. 2 in total touchdowns (47), No. 4 in receiving touchdowns (19) and No. 6 in rushing touchdowns (2[Image: icon_cool.gif]. His 47 total TDs rank third all-time in Atlantic Coast Conference history.

-Samuels’ versatility was on display in 2017. He tied Torry Holt’s school record with 15 receptions in the season opener, finished the season with 12 rushing touchdowns, the seventh-best total in N.C. State history, and amassed 1,214 all-purpose yards.

-Samuels, 6-foot, 225 pounds, had more receptions than any tight end in the nation in 2015 with 65.

-Samuels was named MVP of the Independence Bowl in 2016 after a three-touchdown performance.

-Samuels was the only player who finished the 2017 season with at least15 rushing and 15 receiving TDs for his career and the first since 2004.

-Steelers running backs coach James Saxon said the intent initially will be “finding different ways to get him the ball.”

-Saxon sees Samuels as a fit for the way offense is evolving in the NFL. “He’ll be able to play on third down,” Saxon said. ”He’ll be able to catch the ball and create some matchup problems for linebackers. In this game today, third downs, a lot of teams are using a sixth DB to come in the box and cover an athlete, and that’s what he is.”

http://www.steelers.com/news/article-4/W...0d85edb4b7

Dilly - Dilly!

Pray for 50!
Chucktownsteeler
Hall of Famer

05-08-2018, 05:14 AM

Maybe a Leroy Thompson/ Wayne Williams/ Mewelde Moore type of back.

Dilly - Dilly!

Pray for 50!
Chucktownsteeler
Hall of Famer

05-08-2018, 05:14 AM

A chain mover.

Dilly - Dilly!

Pray for 50!
Chucktownsteeler
Hall of Famer

05-09-2018, 12:48 AM

How Jaylen Samuels can be just what the doctor ordered for the Steelers offense

Considering the Pittsburgh Steelers draft class, outside of the Terrell Edmunds pick, there seemed to be significant value overall in the draft. However, on my big board and overall, Jaylen Samuels was the best value. Graded to be a early third rounder by me, I found Samuels to be the most intriguing offensive prospect in the draft. It is not because he is necessarily the best, or the most explosive athlete in the draft, but what it is a lock and key fit for the Steelers.

Samuels is not only a RB, but a WR, TE, and FB. Never doubt what he can add, but also who the guy is overall. Samuels is the most versatile player in the draft. He can move chains, he can run routes, and he can run out of the backfield. There is not much more you could ask of the guy. It inherently should find him snaps due to this versatility, so let’s see how he fits within the offense.

What exactly is Jaylen Samuels?
An overall report on what Jaylen Samuels is should give it away. Samuels is an experienced route runner and can create separation on short throws because of it. This is an essential skill because it allows Samuels to work effectively out of the slot and out of the backfield. His separation can be mitigated somewhat when he is actually asked to run more of a real route, but so is Le’Veon Bell’s.

Samuels looks like Le’veon Bell in some ways, but he actually looks more athletic. He has some impressive burst, compared to how he tested and his size, and he will impress on tape when he hits the corner at top speed. He is pretty shifty too, although he does not exactly run through contact, he is not afraid of it, and has some incredibly strong hands. He catches the football with his hands, not his body, and always holds on through traffic. Here is his testing for reference.

Read more: https://www.behindthesteelcurtain.com/20...n-bell-nfl

Dilly - Dilly!

Pray for 50!
sandfan
Hall of Famer

05-11-2018, 05:04 AM

I watched him play a few games last year. I feel he was a solid value pick in the 5th. He seems to have a broader skill set than any other back on the roster save Bell. I hope the offensive coordinator puts those skills to work quickly. But not as a tight end. He fits much better as a running back or slot receiver.