Hmmm,,,
Krunch
Hall of Famer

06-04-2018, 02:16 AM

Never really thought much about Reggie Bush as a commentator, but this one has me pretty much agreeing with him.

Bush Blasts Mike Tomlin

"But that doesn't excuse the failures of the Steelers either. The fact of the matter is that the Steelers lose two or three games that they should win every single year. Players change, schemes change, opponents change, but Tomlin has remained in charge throughout that entire period and he has never managed to fix the problem. Last season's culture was built around preventing those losses and securing home field advantage throughout the AFC playoffs, but the team failed to do so thanks to those few bad losses."

[Image: 6_4995018.jpg]

"Just give me a six-pack and 30 minutes to rest and lets go out and play 'em again!"  
  - Jack Lambert
bbbooger
Special Teamer

06-04-2018, 03:37 AM

He's sooo right! Been that way since Tomlin took the reins...
Rollers
Hall of Famer

06-04-2018, 07:46 AM

I've been told here and in other places that the Steelers playing down to crappy teams is just part of being the steelers. Sort of like there's some kind of steeler DNA that each new guy brings to the team and continues that trait. I never understood it, and I always thought it was a combination of coaching and players. But there ya go. Tomlin is not the guy to get us over the hump at this point. But he talks a good game and the Rooney's love him. I'm good. I haven't missed watching the nfl at all. with the two new rules coming down the pike it's going to get even worse. Look for the ratings to fall again
Crash
All Pro Veteran

06-04-2018, 02:18 PM

No Reg, they lost home field because the league screwed them on the Jesse James catch.
RaynorShyne
All Pro Veteran

06-04-2018, 11:15 PM

(06-04-2018, 02:18 PM)Crash Wrote: No Reg, they lost home field because the league screwed them on the Jesse James catch.

My old HS Football coach would feast on comments like that.   

You're 100% correct.  It was one play that changed the season.  EVERY play can be that one play.  One of them will be.  Thus you need to go hard all the time.  Run down the ball - every time.  Get off your block - every time.  Tackle hard & wrap up - every time

Because that play is coming - are you going to be ready?
(This post was last modified: 06-04-2018, 11:16 PM by RaynorShyne.)
mcmillenandwife
Administrator

06-04-2018, 11:21 PM

(06-04-2018, 02:18 PM)Crash Wrote: No Reg, they lost home field because the league screwed them on the Jesse James catch.

100% truth.  Smokin

However, that doesn't explain away a humiliating home playoff defeat at the hands of a team quarterbacked by Blake Bortles.  Embarassed

Same team that punked us during the regular season, BTW. 

All that said, Chuck Noll probably shouldn't have lost a single game between 1972-1979 with that insanely loaded roster, so... I think the reality is, every team loses a few games they should win. And most teams win a game or two that they should probably lose. "On any given Sunday" is one of the few cool things that hasn't yet been stripped away from the NFL.
bbbooger
Special Teamer

06-05-2018, 10:11 AM

(06-04-2018, 11:21 PM)mcmillenandwife Wrote:

100% truth.  Smokin

However, that doesn't explain away a humiliating home playoff defeat at the hands of a team quarterbacked by Blake Bortles.  Embarassed

All that said, Chuck Noll probably shouldn't have lost a single game between 1972-1979 with that insanely loaded roster, so... I think the reality is, every team loses a few games they should win. And most teams win a game or two that they should probably lose. "On any given Sunday" is one of the few cool things that hasn't yet been stripped away from the NFL.

I ask, with absolute sincerity, when (if ever...) was the last time a Tomlin-coached team won a game it should've lost...?  I truly can't think of a single game in his tenure as Steelers head coach that would qualify (I define as "lesser" team winning against "better" team i.e. Cowher year 1, game 1 versus then Houston Oilers, fake punt, et al.)
bksteeler
Starting Lineup

06-11-2018, 02:19 PM

(06-05-2018, 10:11 AM)bbbooger Wrote:

100% truth.  Smokin

I ask, with absolute sincerity, when (if ever...) was the last time a Tomlin-coached team won a game it should've lost...?  I truly can't think of a single game in his tenure as Steelers head coach that would qualify (I define as "lesser" team winning against "better" team i.e. Cowher year 1, game 1 versus then Houston Oilers, fake punt, et al.)

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/27388...le-in-2017

Remember where these two teams were coming into this game at KC.

The Chiefs were 5-0, having beaten the Patriots (at New England) and the Eagles as well as the red-hot Deshaun Watson and the Texans. They were also the highest scoring team in the league. The Steelers meanwhile had just been thumped at home by the Jags, and also lost to the Bears for a 3-2 record. 

You can claim all you want that the Steelers had more talent or the Chiefs were overrated, but that's revisionist history. Going into that game, there was no way the Steelers should have won. More, the Chiefs themselves would later say during their losing streak (Kelce in particular) that everyone was copying the Steelers defensive scheme (zone) to stop them. 

Now if you want to say that Tomlin has trouble beating superior teams called the Patriots, I will immediately cede that point.
bbbooger
Special Teamer

06-12-2018, 10:10 AM

(06-11-2018, 02:19 PM)bksteeler Wrote:
(06-05-2018, 10:11 AM)bbbooger Wrote:

100% truth.  Smokin

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/27388...le-in-2017

Remember where these two teams were coming into this game at KC.

The Chiefs were 5-0, having beaten the Patriots (at New England) and the Eagles as well as the red-hot Deshaun Watson and the Texans. They were also the highest scoring team in the league. The Steelers meanwhile had just been thumped at home by the Jags, and also lost to the Bears for a 3-2 record. 

You can claim all you want that the Steelers had more talent or the Chiefs were overrated, but that's revisionist history. Going into that game, there was no way the Steelers should have won. More, the Chiefs themselves would later say during their losing streak (Kelce in particular) that everyone was copying the Steelers defensive scheme (zone) to stop them. 

Now if you want to say that Tomlin has trouble beating superior teams called the Patriots, I will immediately cede that point.
Excellent argument: well-reasoned and convincingly stated.  None-the-less we’ll have to agree to disagree.  I saw KC’s record at the time, as I do now, to be an aberration that would soon be exposed.  Call it revisionist history if you like, but I felt then that the Steelers were clearly the better team, record notwithstanding (Big Ben v. Alex Smith...c'mon now...)  As such they “should" have won (and did).  Counting their game against the Steelers the Chiefs lost 6 of 7, a telling indictment of how good they really were… IMHO, of course  [Image: wink.png] .
(This post was last modified: 06-12-2018, 10:11 AM by bbbooger.)