Watching these old Steeler games...
Chucktownsteeler
Hall of Famer

07-25-2018, 05:23 AM

I've realized we've some some tremendous athletes at QB. Judging atheletic talent only please rank:

Bradshaw
Malone
Brister
Stewart
Roethislberger
O'Donnell

My list, based purely on athleticism:

Stewart
Malone
Bradshaw
Roethislberger
Brister
O'Donnell

Dilly - Dilly!

Pray for 50!
mcmillenandwife
Administrator

07-25-2018, 07:15 AM

(07-25-2018, 05:23 AM)Chucktownsteeler Wrote: I've realized we've some some tremendous athletes at QB. Judging atheletic talent only please rank:

Bradshaw
Malone
Brister
Stewart
Roethislberger
O'Donnell

My list, based purely on athleticism:

Stewart
Malone
Bradshaw
Roethislberger
Brister
O'Donnell

Interesting conversation, Chuck.  Thumbsup

Out of that group, here's my opinion. Pretty close to yours:
Bradshaw
Stewart
Malone
Roethislberger
Brister
O'Donnell

I believe Bradshaw belongs SOLIDLY at the top. Bradshaw was the best athlete PERIOD in the 1970 draft. He would've been drafted as a RB if not a QB, and probably would've gone in the Hall of Fame as such. Much bigger, stronger and nearly as fast as Kordell Stewart. Faster for his era, in fact (Bradshaw ran a 4.6 40 in the '70s). Not to mention a way, way, WAY better arm. 

Malone and Stewart are neck-and-neck in terms of athleticism. It's a 2/2a situation. Malone was the fastest guy on the team and was arguably Slash before Slash. But he wasn't used nearly as often in the role and other than his 90-yd TD vs. Seattle in '81, was far less productive and exciting than Stewart as Slash.

Just my two cents.
RaynorShyne
All Pro Veteran

07-25-2018, 09:53 AM

O'Donnell.

@$%^@$%^ Niel $@!@$#!@$# O'Donnell

We finally had a QB.  An accurate one.  We were going to beat the Cowboys AGAIN.....

Who the HELL was he throwing those two balls to?  

#1 "slipped" (not a damn Steeler in the area)
#2 was a "misread on a hot route" (Ball thrown after the receiver made his break)

Both nailed Larry Brown in the numbers

@$%^@$%^ Niel $@!@$#!@$# O'Donnell

Bradshaw was a gifted physical freak - but he wasn't right in the head and Noll hurt his poor feelings the first 4-5 years
Crash
Hall of Famer

07-25-2018, 04:49 PM

Malone being ranked ahead of Ben on any list as far as athletic ability is laughable.  

The ONLY thing Kordell had on Ben was foot-speed.

In fact, as far as QB you could say from an athletic standpoint Ben is a poor man's Bradshaw.  

Terry had a slightly better arm, and slightly more foot speed.  

But the way Ben played from 2004-2011, was damn near identical to Bradshaw 1978-1982.  

Both would have won in the other's era.
(This post was last modified: 07-25-2018, 04:49 PM by Crash.)
mcmillenandwife
Administrator

07-26-2018, 12:23 AM

(07-25-2018, 04:49 PM)Crash Wrote: Malone being ranked ahead of Ben on any list as far as athletic ability is laughable.  

The ONLY thing Kordell had on Ben was foot-speed.

In fact, as far as QB you could say from an athletic standpoint Ben is a poor man's Bradshaw.  

Terry had a slightly better arm, and slightly more foot speed.  

But the way Ben played from 2004-2011, was damn near identical to Bradshaw 1978-1982.  

Both would have won in the other's era.

Sounds like you're talking FOOTBALL players instead of "athletes." Agreed that Ben and Bradshaw both could've/would've won in other eras. 

And choosing Malone over Ben as a QB would be laughable. Ben is a sure Hall of Famer; Malone was a terrible pro QB. So yes, Ben is obviously a much, MUCH better football player. 

But athletically, you're just flat out wrong, Crash. Malone was good at everything. So good that they were trying to get him to join the US Olympic team for the decathlon, but of course his decision to enter the NFL draft prevented that. Malone was 6'4", 222 lbs. with 4.4 speed. 4.4 speed at QB in 1980. Fastest guy on the entire team. Faster than Mel Blount. The knee injury in '81 (and subsequent surgery) prevented Malone from reaching his potential.

Surely, you're not going to tell me you think there's a chance in hell Ben Roethlisberger would ever be considered to become an Olympic decathlete?  Laugh Ben would run through obstacles, not jump over them.  Rockon Look, I'm not dissing Ben's athleticism; he probably doesn't get enough credit for it. But I am defending Malone for the sake of this particular discussion, which is about who was a better overall "athlete."  

In any case, athleticism is definitely not the key to success as an NFL QB. Here's a perfect example of an "athlete" QB vs. a football player (Big Ben). Love this video (courtesy of Bruce Gradkowski).

mcmillenandwife
Administrator

07-26-2018, 12:38 AM

(07-25-2018, 09:53 AM)RaynorShyne Wrote: O'Donnell.

@$%^@$%^ Niel $@!@$#!@$# O'Donnell

We finally had a QB.  An accurate one.  We were going to beat the Cowboys AGAIN.....

Who the HELL was he throwing those two balls to?  

#1 "slipped" (not a damn Steeler in the area)
#2 was a "misread on a hot route" (Ball thrown after the receiver made his break)

Both nailed Larry Brown in the numbers

@$%^@$%^ Niel $@!@$#!@$# O'Donnell

Laugh 

Kneel O'Dollar.  Pi_careless Thumbdown