Preseason football
mcmillenandwife
Administrator

08-17-2018, 10:35 AM

Watching a little bit of preseason football... 
  • Mason Rudolph throws a pick-6 on his first pass.  Embarassed
  • Aaron Rogers is torching Coty Sensabaugh.  Embarassed Embarassed
  • Safety Morgan Burnett caught horribly out of position.  Embarassed Embarassed Embarassed
  • James Conner so far = Le'veon who?   Rockon
  • Mason Rudolph bounces back to throw a TD to Juju!   Rockon
Barney
Hall of Famer

08-17-2018, 11:32 AM

Gonna be some bumps in the road but sounds fairly standard. Wish I could see it on TV here...
Rollers
Hall of Famer

08-17-2018, 12:01 PM

Defense looks like it has no clue at this point. I have no idea why the can't at least tackle. at the very least tackle somebody
mcmillenandwife
Administrator

08-17-2018, 12:14 PM

Rookie WR James Washington... WOW!!!!  Scared Pi_shocked Rockon
mcmillenandwife
Administrator

08-17-2018, 12:18 PM

This "initiating contact with the helmet" rule is horrific. Thanks for ruining another season with another stupid fucking rule, NFL.  Sick Eyes Pi_careless Pi_blackeye Thumbdown
Rollers
Hall of Famer

08-17-2018, 07:08 PM

(08-17-2018, 12:18 PM)mcmillenandwife Wrote: This "initiating contact with the helmet" rule is horrific. Thanks for ruining another season with another stupid fucking rule, NFL.  Sick Eyes Pi_careless Pi_blackeye Thumbdown

I am at the point where I'm just losing interest.  Soon you'll have to arm tackle everyone.  I really don't care if I watch a single game this year and I won't be watching like I used to.  I dropped Sunday ticket.  If the Steelers aren't on locally then I'll pass.  I won't watch any other team's games either.  Fake kickoffs.  Lowering the helmet   just stupid.  done with all of it
mcmillenandwife
Administrator

08-17-2018, 10:02 PM

(08-17-2018, 07:08 PM)Rollers Wrote:
(08-17-2018, 12:18 PM)mcmillenandwife Wrote: This "initiating contact with the helmet" rule is horrific. Thanks for ruining another season with another stupid fucking rule, NFL.  Sick Eyes Pi_careless Pi_blackeye Thumbdown

I am at the point where I'm just losing interest.  Soon you'll have to arm tackle everyone.  I really don't care if I watch a single game this year and I won't be watching like I used to.  I dropped Sunday ticket.  If the Steelers aren't on locally then I'll pass.  I won't watch any other team's games either.  Fake kickoffs.  Lowering the helmet   just stupid.  done with all of it

It's getting to that point, isn't it? The game is being ruined on so many fronts that it's just not that fun anymore. I haven't completely lost interest yet, as evidenced in this site. But the current NFL holds less interest for me than it ever has. It makes me roll my eyes more often than it has me on the edge of my seat. 

Sad. I know this... when Ben retires, my interest level will plummet. He is really the only thing keeping me watching regularly right now.
Cali-Steeler
Hall of Famer

08-17-2018, 11:38 PM

(("when Ben retires, my interest level will plummet. He is really the only thing keeping me watching regularly right now")) > I Totally agree Tim. a lot of fans don't know how lucky we are that we have him. Some probably

are too young enough to remember the Cliff Stoudt, Mallone - Brister days. Oh but our defense was what people came to see back then! Which is now non existent for the last 5 to 7 years.
Garrett Garlits
All Pro Veteran

08-18-2018, 01:02 AM

I saw an interview with former referee Terry McCaulay during the Hall of Fame game, and he said that the officials are being instructed to throw flags on every play that might be a contact foul during the preseason so the league has enough material to figure out how the rule will work when the games count. In other words, it's preseason for the officials too.

As for the "fake" kickoffs, it's a way to reduce concussions, of which there were more reported last year than ever before. The days of players needlessly crippling themselves while the people in the stands and at home do nothing more strenuous than lift a beer can are over, for better or worse. Somewhere, Mike Webster (whose life was ruined by CTE) is smiling.
Crash
Hall of Famer

08-18-2018, 04:39 AM

Rudolph struggled.

Conner looked great.

The defense? Ugh...

Dobbs played great after his first pass.
mcmillenandwife
Administrator

08-18-2018, 05:36 AM

(08-18-2018, 01:02 AM)Garrett Garlits Wrote: I saw an interview with former referee Terry McCaulay during the Hall of Fame game, and he said that the officials are being instructed to throw flags on every play that might be a contact foul during the preseason so the league has enough material to figure out how the rule will work when the games count. In other words, it's preseason for the officials too.

I hope McCaulay is right, because if the way they're calling it in the preseason is a portend of things to come in the regular season, I won't be able to take it.
RaynorShyne
Hall of Famer

08-18-2018, 06:07 AM

(08-17-2018, 10:02 PM)mcmillenandwife Wrote:
(08-17-2018, 07:08 PM)Rollers Wrote:

It's getting to that point, isn't it? The game is being ruined on so many fronts that it's just not that fun anymore. I haven't completely lost interest yet, as evidenced in this site. But the current NFL holds less interest for me than it ever has. It makes me roll my eyes more often than it has me on the edge of my seat. 

Sad. I know this... when Ben retires, my interest level will plummet. He is really the only thing keeping me watching regularly right now.

Well, Big Ben wouldn't look good with the flags anyway.

Because that's where we're headed.  Flag Football.   Wait until "initiating contact with the knee" becomes illegal.  Concussions accidentally happen that way several times every season.  "Initiating contact with the shoulder pads" is next.   Followed by the classic "initiating contact with the cup"
Garrett Garlits
All Pro Veteran

08-18-2018, 07:45 AM

We may come to the point twenty or thirty years down the road where it's either flag football or no football at all. The kickoff is as good as gone next year if the changes in place now don't reduce concussions, according to the head of the owners' Competition Committee. My guess is that if that happens, he winner of the coin toss will just get the ball at their own 25, as will the non-scoring team after touchdowns.
Rollers
Hall of Famer

08-18-2018, 08:23 AM

(08-18-2018, 01:02 AM)Garrett Garlits Wrote: I saw an interview with former referee Terry McCaulay during the Hall of Fame game, and he said that the officials are being instructed to throw flags on every play that might be a contact foul during the preseason so the league has enough material to figure out how the rule will work when the games count. In other words, it's preseason for the officials too.

As for the "fake" kickoffs, it's a way to reduce concussions, of which there were more reported last year than ever before. The days of players needlessly crippling themselves while the people in the stands and at home do nothing more strenuous than lift a beer can are over, for better or worse. Somewhere, Mike Webster (whose life was ruined by CTE) is smiling.

Put in 24 years in the military and did 4 combat tours.  so if i want to lift a can of beer and criticize the game I used to love I will do so thank you very much.  I detest the kickoffs and it's just one more step into turning this game into something unrecognizable.  So I'll continue to lift a can of beer every now and then cause I've earned it.  Hope that helps
Rollers
Hall of Famer

08-18-2018, 08:25 AM

Tomlin on the loss. we fell short on a lot of stuff. like tackling, taking good angles, and on and on. But they're going to fix it so don't worry. just like they did in a one and done playoff game last year in our own park. I'm feeling good about that
https://www.steelers.com/video/tomlin-we...as-tonight
Garrett Garlits
All Pro Veteran

08-18-2018, 09:01 AM

Rollers,

If you don't like the game anymore, why do you watch it? Why do you defend your right to watch something you don't like? And what does your military service have to do with any of it? I thought using your service to justify things in the civilian world was beneath soldiers.
(This post was last modified: 08-18-2018, 09:06 AM by Garrett Garlits.)
Rollers
Hall of Famer

08-18-2018, 09:15 AM

I seldom watch. I simply answered your asinine comment about me having done nothing other than lift a beer. i'm pretty proud of my service and don't mind talking about it. I've never so much as taken a discount offered to military vets. So again I hope that helps. I"m pretty much done with you. In fact I'm going to go lift a beer right now since that's all I've ever done.
Rollers
Hall of Famer

08-18-2018, 09:21 AM

(08-17-2018, 12:14 PM)mcmillenandwife Wrote: Rookie WR James Washington... WOW!!!!  Scared Pi_shocked Rockon

He looks like he could be the find of the draft. I was skeptical but man he can go for the ball.  I watched the replay a little and he looks like he's going to be something special.
Garrett Garlits
All Pro Veteran

08-19-2018, 03:06 AM

Just to clarify, my remark about fans wasn't directed at anyone in particular. If I want to get on someone's specific case, I'll be sure to address them directly, and not just by replying to part of their post as I did to Rollers.
(This post was last modified: 08-19-2018, 03:08 AM by Garrett Garlits.)
Rollers
Hall of Famer

08-19-2018, 05:08 AM

(08-19-2018, 03:06 AM)Garrett Garlits Wrote: Just to clarify, my remark about fans wasn't directed at anyone in particular. If I want to get on someone's specific case, I'll be sure to address them directly, and not just by replying to part of their post as I did to Rollers.

lol   want to get on anyone.  hilarious    you quoted me.  but hell that's ok.  i just sit around lifting beers all day.  never did anything else.
Rollers
Hall of Famer

08-19-2018, 07:04 AM

(08-19-2018, 03:06 AM)Garrett Garlits Wrote: Just to clarify, my remark about fans wasn't directed at anyone in particular. If I want to get on someone's specific case, I'll be sure to address them directly, and not just by replying to part of their post as I did to Rollers.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

dbsfgyd1
Hall of Famer

08-20-2018, 10:29 AM

(08-17-2018, 12:01 PM)Rollers Wrote: Defense looks like it has no clue at this point.  I have no idea why the can't at least tackle.  at the very least tackle somebody

The D hasn’t had a clue since Butz took it over...
Chucktownsteeler
Hall of Famer

08-21-2018, 01:11 AM

Sad to say I have lost complete interest. Not sure if my interest will pick up after the season starts or not. During the 70's through the 90's if the Steelers lost I was bummed out until Wednesday or Thursday. Right now I simply don't care. My hopes were up when MR was drafted but they have since waned. I can't really state any one reason but the passion just isn't there right now.

I guess I'm older now and I am appreciating more the important things in life, like family. The upcoming weeks will certainly help me decide if I keep following the Steelers.

Pi_cry

Next - Minkah, #39!
  [Image: chucktown_sig_pic.jpg]
(This post was last modified: 08-21-2018, 01:13 AM by Chucktownsteeler.)
Rollers
Hall of Famer

08-21-2018, 04:58 AM

(08-21-2018, 01:11 AM)Chucktownsteeler Wrote: Sad to say I have lost complete interest. Not sure if my interest will pick up after the season starts or not. During the 70's through the 90's if the Steelers lost I was bummed out until Wednesday or Thursday. Right now I simply don't care. My hopes were up when MR was drafted but they have since waned. I can't really state any one reason but the passion just isn't there right now.

I guess I'm older now and I am appreciating more the important things in life, like family. The upcoming weeks will certainly help me decide if I keep following the Steelers.
if your hope is built on this defense playing well forget it.  It will not.  Butler is a lost cause.  How many safeties are you going to play at a time?  5? 6?  Dude they drafted number 1 will NOT play linebacker period.  Jarvis  Dupree  and I'm betting Watt is going to be just like those two.  save yourself some headaches.  I've already bagged the upcoming year.  i have zero interest in pro football anymore.  zero.  I can take it or leave it.  Stupid rules   dumb ass defensive coaches, I just don't care  I like this place though cause you can still cause some folks a little angst  LOL