Landry Jones cut: Dobbs kept
RaynorShyne
All Pro Veteran

09-03-2018, 06:29 AM

Practice squad:
LB Keion Adams, CB Brian Allen, RB Jarvion Franklin, WR Trey Griffey, TE Bucky Hodges, DE Lavon Hooks, LB Farrington Huguenin, WR Tevin Jones, C Patrick Morri, OL R.J. Prince

Glad Griffey and Jones stayed.
mcmillenandwife
Administrator

09-03-2018, 10:16 AM

(09-03-2018, 06:29 AM)RaynorShyne Wrote: Practice squad:
LB Keion Adams, CB Brian Allen, RB Jarvion Franklin, WR Trey Griffey, TE Bucky Hodges, DE Lavon Hooks, LB Farrington Huguenin, WR Tevin Jones, C Patrick Morri, OL R.J. Prince

Glad Griffey and Jones stayed.

Glad to see Landry Jones gone. Nice guy and a veteran, but I'd much rather take my chances with Dobbs (and Rudolph), despite the inexperience.
Cali-Steeler
Hall of Famer

09-03-2018, 12:38 PM

I wouldn't be surprised if the Steelers trade dobbs and pick Landry back up. Not that I want this to happen. But Dobbs might have been too valuable to let go into the market? Not sure.
mcmillenandwife
Administrator

09-03-2018, 08:45 PM

(09-03-2018, 12:38 PM)Cali-Steeler Wrote: I wouldn't be surprised if the Steelers trade dobbs and pick Landry back up. Not that I want this to happen. But Dobbs might have been too valuable to let go into the market? Not sure.

I can see that as opposed to keeping two very young QBs... may as well get something for Dobbs if we're not going to keep him. But I hope we keep and develop these young guys. Five years later, Landry Jones is still not a solid backup. Buh-bye.
dbsfgyd1
Hall of Famer

09-05-2018, 04:59 AM

Truth be told, Jones put up very Batch type numbers, and we all LOVE Charlie...right?

That said, I like the two youngin’s upside and both should be good to go when Ben decides to hang them up.
RaynorShyne
All Pro Veteran

09-05-2018, 11:28 AM

(09-03-2018, 08:45 PM)mcmillenandwife Wrote:
(09-03-2018, 12:38 PM)Cali-Steeler Wrote: I wouldn't be surprised if the Steelers trade dobbs and pick Landry back up. Not that I want this to happen. But Dobbs might have been too valuable to let go into the market? Not sure.

I can see that as opposed to keeping two very young QBs... may as well get something for Dobbs if we're not going to keep him. But I hope we keep and develop these young guys. Five years later, Landry Jones is still not a solid backup. Buh-bye.

Telling point - in a league desperate for QB's, our #1 backup from last years has been picked up by....

Bueller?....Bueller?....Bueller?....
mcmillenandwife
Administrator

09-05-2018, 11:35 AM

(09-05-2018, 04:59 AM)dbsfgyd1 Wrote: Truth be told, Jones put up very Batch type numbers, and we all LOVE Charlie...right?

That said, I like the two youngin’s upside and both should be good to go when Ben decides to hang them up.

Numbers lie at QB. Too many intangibles that can't be measured. Batch was VASTLY superior to Jones IMO except... Batch couldn't stay healthy.

The youngin's do deserve a shot, but mostly because Landry doesn't deserve "another" shot.
dbsfgyd1
Hall of Famer

09-07-2018, 05:54 AM

(09-05-2018, 11:35 AM)mcmillenandwife Wrote:
(09-05-2018, 04:59 AM)dbsfgyd1 Wrote: Truth be told, Jones put up very Batch type numbers, and we all LOVE Charlie...right?

Numbers lie at QB. Too many intangibles that can't be measured. Batch was VASTLY superior to Jones IMO except... Batch couldn't stay healthy.

The youngin's do deserve a shot, but mostly because Landry doesn't deserve "another" shot.

Stat are stats, and as you know, I am Not a stat guy. Other than W-LSU,  pretty much they are interchangeable.  To your point however, and again excuse me for playing the BA card, the over all quality of the offense, from RBs to WRs to OL, as well as the scheme that doesn’t subject QBs to excessive abuse,  greatly improved after BA left town. Charlie had to suffer through it.