No worries
Rollers
Hall of Famer

09-17-2018, 08:35 AM

Tomlin says they will analyze the film and make corrections and they have an extra day to do so and they will fix it.
Garrett Garlits
All Pro Veteran

09-17-2018, 08:40 AM

If he said anything else, he wouldn't be able to field a team next week. We as fans can get away with saying something stinks or sucks or whatever. A coach can't do that, at least not in public. Not in this day and age where the players can buy and sell him ten times over and everyone knows it. The days of coaches ruling from on high over their minions in uniform are over. Even Belichick's reputation as an autocrat is exaggerated, from what I've heard. He's not exactly bubbly and fun-loving, but he cares a lot more about his players than his public demeanor would have you believe.
(This post was last modified: 09-17-2018, 08:47 AM by Garrett Garlits.)
Rollers
Hall of Famer

09-17-2018, 09:00 AM

please read the post I just did from the pittsburgh paper
Garrett Garlits
All Pro Veteran

09-17-2018, 09:14 AM

I already did, and I stand by my points. The buck doesn't stop with Tomlin, regardless of his title. The coaching woes are on the shoulders of the assistants, and the lack of discipline is on Colbert and Art II for allowing the players responsible to remain under contract. Head coaches are glorified PR men for the most part, and that includes Belichick. They speak to the press when required and communicate to the players game plans developed mostly by others. They can't discipline players on their own say-so, and they can't overrule their coaches in the middle of games unless they want to accept those coaches resignations the following Monday. In other words, the one to blame least for this mess is Tomlin.
(This post was last modified: 09-17-2018, 09:22 AM by Garrett Garlits.)
bbbooger
All Pro Veteran

09-17-2018, 09:51 AM

(09-17-2018, 09:00 AM)Rollers Wrote: please read the post I just did from the pittsburgh paper

Accurate , but old news really... Bradshaw was/is right about this HC.Year after year of drama and distractions.
Rollers
Hall of Famer

09-17-2018, 09:51 AM

(09-17-2018, 09:14 AM)Garrett Garlits Wrote: I already did, and I stand by my points. The buck doesn't stop with Tomlin, regardless of his title. The coaching woes are on the shoulders of the assistants, and the lack of discipline is on Colbert and Art II for allowing the players responsible to remain under contract. Head coaches are glorified PR men for the most part, and that includes Belichick. They speak to the press when required and communicate to the players game plans developed mostly by others. They can't discipline players on their own say-so, and they can't overrule their coaches in the middle of games unless they want to accept those coaches resignations the following Monday. In other words, the one to blame least for this mess is Tomlin.

ok whatever you say.  He's just a figurehead,  no real power.  I get it.  Tomlin is gold.  Best coach in the league.  I'm good
Garrett Garlits
All Pro Veteran

09-17-2018, 09:59 AM

Whatever he is, the people that like him are glad to have him and the people who don't like him are stuck with him. He's going nowhere except to the playoffs; they'll win the North at 10-5-1. Ask me about the playoffs in December, if I'm right.
(This post was last modified: 09-17-2018, 10:01 AM by Garrett Garlits.)
Rollers
Hall of Famer

09-17-2018, 10:02 AM

(09-17-2018, 09:59 AM)Garrett Garlits Wrote: Whatever he is, the people that like him are glad to have him and the people who don't like him are stuck with him. He's going nowhere except to the playoffs; they'll win the North at 10-5-1. Ask me about the playoffs in December, if I'm right.

ok you got it.  one and done.  you're right he's not going anywhere.  We get more of this crap year after year.
mcmillenandwife
Administrator

09-17-2018, 10:39 AM

(09-17-2018, 09:59 AM)Garrett Garlits Wrote: Whatever he is, the people that like him are glad to have him and the people who don't like him are stuck with him. He's going nowhere except to the playoffs; they'll win the North at 10-5-1. Ask me about the playoffs in December, if I'm right.

I will be shocked if this team makes the playoffs. If they do, I'm sadly confident they will not go deep. The defense is terrible. TERRIBLE. The coaching has been pathetic. The execution (or lack thereof) on the field has been embarrassing.

I think it's more likely that Tomlin will experience his first losing season as a head coach vs. making the playoffs. This team stinks. Yes, it's loaded with offensive talent (even without Le'veon Bell). But the parts to be a CHAMPION clearly aren't there. Sadly, I don't think we're even close. 

It kinda breaks my heart, because we've got maybe two years left with Ben and I just don't believe the rebuild on defense is going to happen that fast.
Garrett Garlits
All Pro Veteran

09-17-2018, 12:09 PM

You could be right, Tim. I'm just sick of all the fan-generated pessimism. There's definitely reason to be concerned, maybe even alarmed. But for some people to say after every game, "Fire Tomlin and Colbert, trade all the players, and force Art to sell to an owner who REALLY wants to win" is more disgusting than watching this team play. I just can't take reading that crap, period. If that's your opinion, why are you still watching this team?
(This post was last modified: 09-17-2018, 12:09 PM by Garrett Garlits.)
Krunch
Hall of Famer

09-17-2018, 03:35 PM

IT'S TOMLIN'S TEAM!  Crazy to rationalize that the HC does not control or at least have MAJOR input with the GM and Owner on Personnel Matters.  The Cower/Colbert Combination Drafted well and to me the one area they excelled in over the Tomlin/Colbert Combination was in Player Development.  Something went South when Tomlin took the reins and it may be a failure on Colbert's part as well as Tomlin's.  I just know things have become noticeably worse.  Between the two of them the caliber of personnel on the field by and large is just not the same.  Yes, the Colbert/Tomlin Team have scored a half dozen or so keepers, but the stinkers have been way too prevalent. 

Tomlin's Team is so frickin' full of individual ego's acting out their sophomoric fantasies about how they think their Social Media Minions want them to.  I am SO sick of all the Patty-Cake, rehearsed celebrations and Primping on this team.  When I watched the Packers last week in their amazing comeback victory, they were all business.  They made big plays and scored and not one player involved in the play exhibited anything more than quick chest bumps and such and they were back to concentrating on their game, like professionals playing under a disciplined  system would be expected to act.  I swear these Steeler prancers spend more time rehearsing their Patty-Cake then they do their necessary football skills.  Tomllin needs to, but never will rein in this nonsense.  It would take a leader to do that.  

Tomlin's Team is the one that season after season plays down to the competition, losing games they shouldn't, looking befuddled and confused when they don't just magically build huge leads and dominate their opponents.  The Coordinators work FOR HIM!  If they suck, he sucks.  If he fails to take corrective action then he really sucks!  And why is it that the first game after a Bye Week are practically always a slam-dunk guaranteed debacle full of mistakes and flat footed blunders? Uhhhh, I don't know maybe COACHING INEPTNESS!! WTF goes on during those bye week's under Tomlin's guidance?  (Oh, yeah...we go bowling)

Colbert, I blame more than Tomlin for one thing and it is a key component that is lacking.  This organization has a way of ignoring glaring holes and obvious needs for way too long before addressing them.  Take the Offensive Line as an example.  How many frickin' years was it that everybody knew it was the weakest link in the chain?  It took forever before it was finally addressed.  And once you begin to build it back, you go several more seasons before the players are skilled enough and playing as a unit to make a positive difference.  With the Steeler's, it's like there is this, "Good enough is Good Enough" malaise where if you don't want to know the answer, don't ask the question.  Ignore it and it will be OK.  Nope doesn't work that way.  Fast Forward to 2018.  Now we are way too many seasons into, "The players in the secondary are good enough to get by."  NOT EVEN!!!  In today's Pass Oriented NFL it is just shy of criminal insanity the way the secondary has been ignored.  Yes they have drafted high and yes, not every draft pick works out like you hope (back to the poor Player Development under Tomlin's rule in some cases).  Ben's time is getting shorter.  The secondary will not be fixed through the draft in time for the Ben years- it takes too long for rookies in these positions to mature into truly competent players.  I am proud to have earned Tim's very first STFU last year when the board first came back to life.  My crime was to suggest that the Steeler's should sign Richard Sherman to benefit by his immediate improvement in the putrid pass defense.  I still stand by that thought.  Yes, I know Sherman got injured last season, but who could have known that?  Does anyone besides me think that the Jacksonville game might have gone differently with an actual, legitimate Defender like Sherman in that game?  The Steelers will never sniff a Big Ben era Lombardi again without recognizing the Crazy Uncle in the Basement that is the Steeler Secondary.  And since the FO seems indifferent to addressing the need in an immediate way, Six Trophies will have to keep us satisfied for the foreseeable future.  The, "Steeler Way" has become a curse in today's modern football world.  The announcers just love to talk about it, but when it hasn't brought home the trophy for close to 15 years....

"Just give me a six-pack and 30 minutes to rest and lets go out and play 'em again!"  
  - Jack Lambert
(This post was last modified: 09-17-2018, 03:39 PM by Krunch.)
RaynorShyne
Hall of Famer

09-18-2018, 01:26 AM

Ok - I'll be the first to point it out:

It's September.
Cali-Steeler
Hall of Famer

09-18-2018, 02:27 AM

This game was exactly the same game as the Jaguar's playoff loss! They went up 21 and the Steelers had to play catch up the whole game.

Crappy clock management (Tomlin style) as normal at the end. And also fell short by a touchdown.
Rollers
Hall of Famer

09-18-2018, 03:15 AM

(09-18-2018, 01:26 AM)RaynorShyne Wrote: Ok - I'll be the first to point it out:  

It's September.

good way to start the year