1983 Steelers 34 at Jets 7
mcmillenandwife
Administrator

05-07-2017, 10:54 PM

1983 Steelers 34 at Jets 7

Terry Bradshaw comes off the bench puts on an exceptional performance in the final game of his career (also the Jets' final game at Shea Stadium). While playing only the first quarter and one series into the second quarter, Bradshaw is sharp and effective, hitting 5 of 8 passes for 77 yards and 2 TD's -- the first to rookie Gregg Garrity, to whom Terry had never thrown a pass before (not even in practice) and the second to Calvin Sweeney -- shaking the Steelers out of their late-season slump and ensuring them of a playoff spot with the win. Terry destroys his ailing arm on the first TD toss but gallantly continues to play in pain until he throws his 2nd TD. The entire team is energized by the presence of Bradshaw and simply steamrolls the Jets, ending their slim playoff hopes. This is also the final 100-yard game of Franco Harris' career. Includes post game interviews with Bradshaw and Cliff Stoudt. 
Unregistered

05-12-2017, 05:02 AM

The Steelers management (and Bradshaw) shouldn't have rushed him back into action. I blame Terry in part for that, as well. As you can see from this NY Times interview in early 1984, fresh off the Steelers' AFC Divisional thrashing by the Raiders, Terry states that he would like to play four, maybe even five more years. He had a lot of football left in him, but I think he was rushed back into the line up before that elbow injury had properly healed. Here is a link to the NY Times article. http://www.nytimes.com/1984/01/02/sports...uture.html
mcmillenandwife
Administrator

05-12-2017, 02:31 PM

(05-12-2017, 05:02 AM)Guest Wrote: The Steelers management (and Bradshaw) shouldn't have rushed him back into action. I blame Terry in part for that, as well. As you can see from this NY Times interview in early 1984, fresh off the Steelers' AFC Divisional thrashing by the Raiders, Terry states that he would like to play four, maybe even five more years. He had a lot of football left in him, but I think he was rushed back into the line up before that elbow injury had properly healed. Here is a link to the NY Times article. http://www.nytimes.com/1984/01/02/sports...uture.html

Thanks for the link! Agreed, Bradshaw obviously came back way too soon. It was a risky surgery in those days, even more so at Terry's age. I don't think Noll was ever really on board with Terry having the procedure since he was still able to play at a fairly high level without surgery (as evidenced in '82 with more of a dink & dunk passing game). And there's the rub: I think Terry really believed he had 4-5 years left in the tank while Noll accepted that it was the end of the road and Terry had maybe 1-2 more solid years without surgery, even though it meant his deep ball wouldn't be quite as deep anymore. Whether the front office pressured him or not, I think the biggest factor was that Terry felt Noll's disapproval ("Terry who?") and rushed himself back.
Unregistered

05-16-2017, 03:38 PM

Yeah, Bradshaw was rushed back for sure. They were trying to stop a losing streak and get themselves into the playoffs, but the team really wasn't that good that year, at least not good enough to make any serious playoff run. Maybe if they would've just kept him out and brought him back for the 84 season, he could've played a few more years. We'll never know. I was 8 years old when Bradshaw played in his final game was excited at the time to see him play. I was too young to remember any of his games before that. Thanks for uploading this. Brings back a fond memory. Thanks for starting to upload some more recent games as well from a time I grew up watching them in the 80s and 90s. Much appreciated.
mcmillenandwife
Administrator

05-16-2017, 03:47 PM

(05-16-2017, 03:38 PM)Guest Wrote: Yeah, Bradshaw was rushed back for sure. They were trying to stop a losing streak and get themselves into the playoffs, but the team really wasn't that good that year, at least not good enough to make any serious playoff run. Maybe if they would've just kept him out and brought him back for the 84 season, he could've played a few more years. We'll never know. I was 8 years old when Bradshaw played in his final game was excited at the time to see him play. I was too young to remember any of his games before that. Thanks for uploading this. Brings back a fond memory. Thanks for starting to upload some more recent games as well from a time I grew up watching them in the 80s and 90s. Much appreciated.

Glad you're enjoying it! Lots of games from the early 80's and even more from the mid-90's are about to hit.  Thumbsup
Unregistered

06-02-2017, 02:32 AM

(05-16-2017, 03:38 PM)Guest Wrote: Yeah, Bradshaw was rushed back for sure. They were trying to stop a losing streak and get themselves into the playoffs, but the team really wasn't that good that year, at least not good enough to make any serious playoff run. Maybe if they would've just kept him out and brought him back for the 84 season, he could've played a few more years. We'll never know. I was 8 years old when Bradshaw played in his final game was excited at the time to see him play. I was too young to remember any of his games before that. Thanks for uploading this. Brings back a fond memory. Thanks for starting to upload some more recent games as well from a time I grew up watching them in the 80s and 90s. Much appreciated.

If Bradshaw had played a few more years, did the Steelers have another Super Bowl run in them?
'84- NO- Malone played okay but the defense lost it to the red hot Dan Marino.

'85- Best chance.  9-7 wins the division and Bradshaw is good for 2 extra wins.  MIA barely beat the 8-8 Browns in the 1st round so I think the Steelers win that one, they host New England in the AFC Champ.  Good chance to win that but they would have been soundly beaten by the Bears.   

After that, Bradshaw's skills would erode and he'd probably retire after '86 or '87.
Unregistered

06-03-2017, 07:46 AM

Do you have the 1984 week 16 game vs L.A Raiders???
Crash
All Pro Veteran

06-03-2017, 08:03 AM

He does. He just got the tapes from me. Smile
Crash
All Pro Veteran

06-03-2017, 08:06 AM

Quote:'85- Best chance. 9-7 wins the division and Bradshaw is good for 2 extra wins. MIA barely beat the 8-8 Browns in the 1st round so I think the Steelers win that one, they host New England in the AFC Champ. Good chance to win that but they would have been soundly beaten by the Bears.

Boy I would have loved to have seen Terry's big play, vertical game, just like Marino did to them, against that defense. Maybe not win, but I don't think we'd get plastered like New England did.
jviscont
Rookie

07-26-2017, 03:01 AM

I attended this game. As a lifelong Jets fan, this was one of the saddest moments in my sports life. Coming into the 83' season, we were so optimistic. The previous year we had come within one game of the Super Bowl. We felt like we had one of the best rosters in the league. After a dozen years of futility, the Jets were finally back, and the atmosphere at Shea Stadium was electric.

But the 1983 season was a nightmare. We lost Freeman McNeil for 7 weeks in Game Three. Our offensive line fell apart. QB Richard Todd seemed to lose his confidence, and went from a first-rate QB to an interception machine. The once vaunted defense would play well, but often fail to make the clutch plays. Our special teams were disastrous. Worst of all, the team announced it was leaving Shea Stadium to play as a guest in arch-rival Giants Stadium in New Jersey, where we would always be second-class citizens.

On this December day, the Steelers completely dominated the Jets, and ended our slim playoff hopes. Perhaps most humiliating of all was the fact that on the last game of our lives at our beloved Shea Stadium, it seemed like half the fans in the crowd were rooting for Pittsburgh. I have always respected and admired the way Steeler fans travel and support their team. You folks have definitely built something special.