Clay Matthews roughing calls on sacks are BULL$#!T
mcmillenandwife
Administrator

09-24-2018, 05:31 AM

These roughing the passer calls like the ones called on Clay Matthews for daring to land on QB's as he sacks them are complete BULL$#!T.  Pi_supermad Censored

Stupid rule changes like this are exactly why I'm rapidly losing interest in this league. The guy made a FANTASTIC play on a sack... and instead, he gets flagged for 15 yards. 

Ridiculous.  Thumbdown Thumbdown Thumbdown
RaynorShyne
Hall of Famer

09-24-2018, 08:17 AM

Eyes

Dilly Dilly

Your classic 'defense' games are gone.
Cali-Steeler
Hall of Famer

09-24-2018, 09:28 PM

Agreed Tim. But I feel use to it after James Harrison would be flagged for sneezing on quarterbacks.

It's the $hi7ty product the NFL's starting to put out. This year feels like a weird one for the NFL
RaynorShyne
Hall of Famer

09-25-2018, 12:11 AM

This is the best article I've read on it

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2797...=editorial
Garrett Garlits
All Pro Veteran

09-25-2018, 04:41 AM

Defensive tackle William Hayes from the Dolphins suffered a season-ending torn ACL yesterday trying to avoid landing on Derek Carr of the Raiders. Player safety is all well and good, but is safety for one group worth an increased injury risk for another? I sure don't think so. Then again, according to the NFL, no one pays to see defensive tackles.

What's the solution? We already have defenses, including here in Pittsburgh that are noticeably more tentative even when they know what they're doing. The jokes about the game becoming flag football are exaggerated and tired, but it's fair to say that the NFL has become outdoor Arena Football, where only quarterbacks and receivers are true difference makers. Especially in places like Pittsburgh where defense was once something to be proud of, that's hard to take.
(This post was last modified: 09-25-2018, 04:47 AM by Garrett Garlits.)
Crash
Hall of Famer

09-26-2018, 08:24 AM

Too bad the NFL never cared about safety when Ben took cheap shots every year.

The rule is dumb, but what Matthews is doing is a penalty according to the rule.

What's ironic this rule was made up because Matthews QB broke his collarbone.
Chucktownsteeler
Hall of Famer

09-27-2018, 12:40 AM

I don't like the rule but I don't have a problem with them trying to limit defensive players falling on QBs with the full force of their body weight. Maybe I'm getting soft in my old age.

Next - Minkah, #39!
  [Image: chucktown_sig_pic.jpg]
RaynorShyne
Hall of Famer

09-27-2018, 12:47 AM

(09-27-2018, 12:40 AM)Chucktownsteeler Wrote: I don't like the rule but I don't have a problem with them trying to limit defensive players falling on QBs with the full force of their body weight. Maybe I'm getting soft in my old age.

You're getting soft in your old age.  It's called momentum.  Then there's this nasty 'gravity' thing when you're falling.  

At this point; PUT FLAGS ON THE QBs.  It'd make it so much easier.