game thread if anyone is interested
mcmillenandwife
Administrator

10-01-2018, 11:31 AM

(10-01-2018, 11:28 AM)mcmillenandwife Wrote: WTF??? 3rd and 3, just pick up the first down. I hate that call. Dumb as f---.

Since no one is talking, I'll talk to myself. We actually do that (go for a deep play) on 3rd and short far too often. That deep fade is a first-and-10 play, not a 3rd and 3 play. Just move the flippin' sticks so we can have a shot at 7 instead of kicking a FG. Stupid.
mcmillenandwife
Administrator

10-01-2018, 11:33 AM

A 3-and-out. How 'bout that?
mcmillenandwife
Administrator

10-01-2018, 11:39 AM

McDonald is starting to become something special. That was sweet.
mcmillenandwife
Administrator

10-01-2018, 11:42 AM

And just like that, it's all tied up. Great movement in the pocket by Ben, nice work by the O-line, fantastic catch by AB. Thank goodness we have an offense good enough to cover some of the disfiguring warts of our defense.
mcmillenandwife
Administrator

10-01-2018, 11:50 AM

Defense played much better in the 2nd quarter. I'll take it.
RaynorShyne
Hall of Famer

10-01-2018, 11:58 AM

I;m upstairs watching and not near the computer....
RaynorShyne
Hall of Famer

10-01-2018, 12:00 PM

The offense has been on it - no running game to speak of, but the short passes are making up for it. The protection has been outstanding. It's a pick-your-poison night for the Ratbirds: 2x AB and juJu is open. Blitz and either Vance or Conner makes them pay for it.

The drops and a smidge of QB pressure is making a world of difference for the D
RaynorShyne
Hall of Famer

10-01-2018, 12:02 PM

The AB touchdown catch was sweet.

.....and I'll admit I'm taking sick pleasure in watching a game for free, that's costing "Imma-Need" $860,000 to watch.

I have a pretty important, well paying job, but that jackass is loosing 5+ years of my salary - per game
(This post was last modified: 10-01-2018, 12:04 PM by RaynorShyne.)
RaynorShyne
Hall of Famer

10-01-2018, 12:05 PM

(10-01-2018, 11:39 AM)mcmillenandwife Wrote: McDonald is starting to become something special. That was sweet.

He just needs to stay healthy.  We need a physical player.    It was nice to see the Dupree sack too Pi_sharpteeth
mcmillenandwife
Administrator

10-01-2018, 12:19 PM

Switzer... open every time.
mcmillenandwife
Administrator

10-01-2018, 12:45 PM

Defense starting to look weak again.
mcmillenandwife
Administrator

10-01-2018, 01:08 PM

Stick a fork in us. Defense can't stop 'em.
Rollers
Hall of Famer

10-01-2018, 01:16 PM

(10-01-2018, 01:08 PM)mcmillenandwife Wrote: Stick a fork in us. Defense can't stop 'em.

2nd week in a row zero points in the second half though.  we may get something in garbage time in this game but Ben played horribly in the 2nd half in both games.
mcmillenandwife
Administrator

10-01-2018, 01:21 PM

Bad pick. Terrible. Yeah, I have to agree. Ben was lousy in the 2nd half. Off target, no energy. Play calling was suspect as well IMO. No way should this offense have been held to 14 points. Unacceptable.

That last pass was a complete force to AB. You have to wonder how much whining he's doing on the sideline, but that's pure speculation on my part.

This team is done. In my opinion, we are now on the clock for the 2019 draft.
bbbooger
All Pro Veteran

10-01-2018, 01:26 PM

(10-01-2018, 01:16 PM)Rollers Wrote:
(10-01-2018, 01:08 PM)mcmillenandwife Wrote: Stick a fork in us. Defense can't stop 'em.

2nd week in a row zero points in the second half though.  we may get something in garbage time in this game but Ben played horribly in the 2nd half in both games.

This ... again!  I'm starting to think it might be a good thing we drafted his heir apparent this spring. 
And... Atlanta next week, could easily be 1, 3, and 1
mcmillenandwife
Administrator

10-01-2018, 01:35 PM

(10-01-2018, 01:26 PM)bbbooger Wrote: This ... again!  I'm starting to think it might be a good thing we drafted his heir apparent this spring. 
And... Atlanta next week, could easily be 1, 3, and 1

I fully expect 1-4-1 heading into the bye.
Cali-Steeler
Hall of Famer

10-01-2018, 02:05 PM

Hey I'm all about supporting my team, but they are done... The defense will never recover and the coaching adjustments are just not there.  Get ready for more locker room drama this week, you can bet on it.

I've never seen this team so unprepared for games. This defense is not going to get any better. Even if they play better!  Its done. Another Tomlin season, with Butler on the sideline looking like he's coming of a short yellow bus.
(This post was last modified: 10-01-2018, 02:07 PM by Cali-Steeler.)
dbsfgyd1
Hall of Famer

10-02-2018, 01:25 AM

This is the worst Steeler team I’ve seen since 1968, which was the worst Steeler team since the Card-Pitts of the WWII era.

Anybody buying the “We need to do a better job communicating” reason for the patented Keith Buttler’s “I’m sending out 11 guys, but we’d better hope the opposing offense shoots itself in the foot” defense. The fact is, these guys suck. Seeing many one on one matchup victories?

As I’ve said many of times over the last years, with today’s game, it is imperative to create pressure up the middle leaving no room for the QB to step up. If you don’t have that, the OLBs better be winning their one on one matchups with the OTs. We have neither, nor do we have the players that can do that.

Now the offense, Houston, we have a problem, and it’s the OL. Uh, Al is playing like he’s afraid to hurt somebody, kind of the McCullors of the OL. When a guy that big is getting trucked by a 230 OLB, kind of raises a red flag. Foster is well past his prime( but maybe playing the best of the bunch), DeCastro and Gillbert are playing hurt. Pounce can’t block everybody.

A poor OL outing makes for a poor rushing attack. So does being down 14 points or more in the first quarter. I’m sure as heck not going blame this offensive fiasco on a lack of Lev Bell.

Ultimately, the buck stops at the Head Coach. This is a team that can’t block well enough, or tackle well enough, and doesn’t have the overall talent to get a way with those deficiencies. There is or are no magic erasers anymore The Harrison’s, Palamalu’s, Farriors, or a Bettis, or Ward making clutch plays are a fond memory.

Don’t get me wrong, I’m a big Tomlin fan, but this squad is in serious need of going back to the basics of “This gentlemen, is a Football”. A rather large infusion of talent wouldn’t hurt, but if our coordinators aren’t feeling the heat with their bags packed, maybe at age 50ish, the game has passed Tomlin by.
bbbooger
All Pro Veteran

10-02-2018, 01:55 AM

I’m convinced Tomlin is clueless when it comes to the Xs and Os of the game. Tomlin’s teams did well when he had strong coordinators. Arians and LeBeau were essentially head coaches for their respective units. Haley, like him or not, was at least solid. Tomlin was the perfect choice to replace Cowher, at that time, because what was needed of him was to stay the heck out the way, not screw things up by imposing a foreign system on an already strong team, and let the coordinators do their thing.

Without highly effective coordinators, which we clearly do not have, a Tomlin-coached team is doomed to mediocrity or worse.
Garrett Garlits
All Pro Veteran

10-02-2018, 03:05 AM

I will defend Mike Tomlin until the end, which almost certainly won't be for a long time regardless of his record. His track record so far has made him untouchable; it would take a similar stretch to the one Chuck Noll endured from 1985-1991 for him to be let go, and that would mean four straight non-playoff years and six out of seven. It won't take that long to rebuild this team, which regardless of how they did it or who they did it against finished 13-3 last year. The problem is, some so-called "fans" of this team are spoiled rotten by all the success they've had over the years, to the point that they (the "fans") demand it as the price for their continued loyalty. If you feel like that, then please stop watching, because I have a feeling that this year's team won't be for the likes of you.

What struck me most about last night's debacle was something I heard from Craig Wolfley on the radio broadcast. He reported from the sidelines that the team was flat midway through the first quarter. How in the world can you be flat when you're playing your biggest rival at home on the league's biggest weekly showcase? To me, that's absolutely inexcusable, and it's the fault of each individual player regardless of talent level. You may or may not be able to play the game at a consistently high level, but you should at least want to go out and try. It's not up to the coaching staff to provide the players with motivation, either, as Noll himself said, "If I have to motivate a player to play football, he'd better find a new profession." Of course coaches can be fired up, but they can't translate that fire to their players unless the players let them. If all the drama surrounding this team has robbed a player of his will to play, it's up to the player to request a new situation pronto. Given how they've played over the first four weeks, particularly on defense, I'm sure Tomlin and Colbert will accommodate them.

Last week, I said that I thought that the Steelers would still win the AFC North at 10-5-1. This week, I'm revising my prediction to 9-6-1 and a wild card, and I have a feeling that they'll have all they can do to finish over .500 at 8-7-1. The game hasn't passed Tomlin by; he's only forty-five, not in his fifties. But neither coordinator has impressed to say the least, and I'll throw in the special teams coach to boot. It might take a significant restructuring, the kind that can't be done during a season, to get this team back on top. Tomlin will stay if he wants to, and I'm sure he will. The rest of the coaches and a lot of the players, I'm not too sure about.
(This post was last modified: 10-02-2018, 03:25 AM by Garrett Garlits.)
dbsfgyd1
Hall of Famer

10-02-2018, 04:02 AM

(10-02-2018, 03:05 AM)Garrett Garlits Wrote: I will defend Mike Tomlin until the end, which almost certainly won't be for a long time regardless of his record. His track record so far has made him untouchable; it would take a similar stretch to the one Chuck Noll endured from 1985-1991 for him to be let go, and that would mean four straight non-playoff years and six out of seven. It won't take that long to rebuild this team, which regardless of how they did it or who they did it against finished 13-3 last year. The problem is, some so-called "fans" of this team are spoiled rotten by all the success they've had over the years, to the point that they (the "fans") demand it as the price for their continued loyalty. If you feel like that, then please stop watching, because I have a feeling that this year's team won't be for the likes of you.

What struck me most about last night's debacle was something I heard from Craig Wolfley on the radio broadcast. He reported from the sidelines that the team was flat midway through the first quarter. How in the world can you be flat when you're playing your biggest rival at
home on the league's biggest weekly showcase? To me, that's absolutely inexcusable, and it's the fault of each individual player regardless of talent level. You may or may not be able to play the game at a consistently high level, but you should at least want to go out and try. It's not up to the coaching staff to provide the players with motivation, either, as Noll himself said, "If I have to motivate a player to play football, he'd better find a new profession." Of course coaches can be fired up, but they can't translate that fire to their players unless the players let them. If all the drama surrounding this team has robbed a player of his will to play, it's up to the player to request a new situation pronto. Given how they've played over the first four weeks, particularly on defense, I'm sure Tomlin and Colbert will accommodate them.

Last week, I said that I thought that the Steelers would still win the AFC North at 10-5-1. This week, I'm revising my prediction to 9-6-1 and a wild card, and I have a feeling that they'll have all they can do to finish over .500 at 8-7-1. The game hasn't passed Tomlin by; he's only forty-five, not in his fifties. But neither coordinator has impressed to say the least, and I'll throw in the special teams coach to boot. It might take a significant restructuring, the kind that can't be done during a season, to get this team back on top. Tomlin will stay if he wants to, and I'm sure he will. The rest of the coaches and a lot of the players, I'm not too sure about.

I wouldn’t call me a fair weather fan, and or spoiled by success. That couldn’t be further from the truth. I will however reserve my right to comment on  what I see. And what I am seeing is as a crap job of coaching by our coordinators, specifically Keith Butler, our new OC, and by association, our head coach that employees them.

The gig was up on Butler, not when Shazier went down, but when the Bears beat them last year. Frankly, they haven’t recovered. 

Last year was smoke and mirrors and a hall of fame career year for our kicker. Make no mistake, between that Chicago game and what Jacksonville exposed, not to mention our yips dealling with the Patriots the last 15 years, this D is toast and zero help on the horizon.

RaynorShyne
Hall of Famer

10-02-2018, 06:45 AM

I hate hyperbole, but the team came out 'flat' in the 2nd half, and the offensive play calling was atrocious. The defense wasn't deplorable in the 2nd 1/2, and if we got some drives going, the game would have been competitive.

The last four time we ha the ball, it seriously looked like Ben was just making it up. The 10-yard outs weren't there. Neither was anything resembling rhythm passing. The best, on target pass he threw was the pick. He would have hit AB in stride, for once. He just didn't see the middle coverage.