can they sustain this
Rollers
Hall of Famer

10-08-2018, 09:45 PM

into next week?  MUCH better defense next week.  Bengals are playing well and are getting better.  I'm thinking we can't hold it together in their stadium on defense.  what say you?
Cali-Steeler
Hall of Famer

10-08-2018, 11:44 PM

It will come down to the end... Close game. But also its a division game. The Steelers can't afford to lose more division games.
mcmillenandwife
Administrator

10-08-2018, 11:59 PM

We'll see. Next week will certainly be a defining moment for this team. 
  • If we win and improve to 3-2-1, we remain in the hunt for the division and playoffs.
  • With games against the Browns and Ravens on deck after a win over Cinci, we have the opportunity to improve to 5-2-1 and hold at least a share of the division lead. 
  • If we lose and fall to 2-3-1 (while the Bengals improve to 5-1), I think our season is over.
Huge game. HUGE. Crazy to think you can already be in a do-or-die situation just 6 weeks in, but that's the hole we're in. 

As for our chances, I absolutely believe we can win. Not saying we will, but we are certainly capable.
Chucktownsteeler
Hall of Famer

10-10-2018, 01:42 AM

Great points, Tim. This indeed is a "must win" situation for the Steelers. Looking for a hard hitting AFC North battle.

Next - Minkah, #39!
  [Image: chucktown_sig_pic.jpg]
(This post was last modified: 10-10-2018, 01:42 AM by Chucktownsteeler.)
Rollers
Hall of Famer

10-10-2018, 05:10 AM

(10-08-2018, 11:59 PM)mcmillenandwife Wrote: We'll see. Next week will certainly be a defining moment for this team. 
  • If we win and improve to 3-2-1, we remain in the hunt for the division and playoffs.
  • With games against the Browns and Ravens on deck after a win over Cinci, we have the opportunity to improve to 5-2-1 and hold at least a share of the division lead. 
  • If we lose and fall to 2-3-1 (while the Bengals improve to 5-1), I think our season is over.
Huge game. HUGE. Crazy to think you can already be in a do-or-die situation just 6 weeks in, but that's the hole we're in. 

As for our chances, I absolutely believe we can win. Not saying we will, but we are certainly capable.

it's hard to maintain a positive attitude towards this team.  I want a win.  Badly.  If we lose another division game it's probably over.  And I can't see us winning out from here on.  We need to beat Cinci, the browns, and the Ravens with zero stumbles.  I can't see it.
mcmillenandwife
Administrator

10-10-2018, 05:38 AM

(10-10-2018, 05:10 AM)Rollers Wrote: it's hard to maintain a positive attitude towards this team.  I want a win.  Badly.  If we lose another division game it's probably over.  And I can't see us winning out from here on.  We need to beat Cinci, the browns, and the Ravens with zero stumbles.  I can't see it.

Oh, I can definitely see it. But I can also see us tanking, so... not sure what to take from that.

I have no real "feel" for this team, other than they seem out of control, both on and off the field, and they don't strike me as a "winner." 

I can see us being 5-2-1 at mid-season... but I can also see us being 2-5-1. It's such a fine line.
bksteeler
All Pro Veteran

10-10-2018, 01:48 PM

You just never know with this team. Here's the thing: we had our two best offensive days against two of the worst defenses in football. (Bucs and Falcons).

The Browns are surprisingly decent on defense (better than us, I think) and so are the Ravens. We did little against either.

I think the offense needs to prove it can play the better defense and put up points like the Rams or the Chiefs.

The defense...I need to see them put up several consecutive good games before I start believing in them.

All that said, while a loss probably throws out their chances of winning the division, it doesn't necessarily knock them out of the wildcard. The AFC is WEAK!!!!
(This post was last modified: 10-10-2018, 01:49 PM by bksteeler.)
dbsfgyd1
Hall of Famer

10-12-2018, 09:41 AM

It’s a long season with a lot of ball to be played. I’m not so sure we have a Championship team here, but I said that same thing around December the season they won their last Super Bowl.

If we continue giving up 330 yards a game, it’s hard to fathom a 7th trophy coming regardless of how productive our offense is.

Oh well, how ‘bout them Pens???