Bell
sandfan
Hall of Famer

10-23-2018, 09:24 PM

I'm not sure how this works and hope someone can help.  If the team requests and gets a temporary roster exemption for 2 weeks does the team have to pay him for that time and does it count against his commitment to fill out a years service?   

If Bell reports out of shape and after those 2 weeks fails to pass a physical or measure up to what's required, in the team's mind, to play can they put him on IR and still withhold his salary?  If that's done will his IR time count toward completing his season commitment?

If the answer if no to both the pay and time question I think the team truly holds the better hand.  

I realize it's a business but Bell has been a real jerk with his approach.  It may not play well if the team opts to take a vindictive route but I see little advantage to rewarding Bell's actions.
dbsfgyd1
Hall of Famer

10-29-2018, 06:54 AM

(10-23-2018, 09:24 PM)sandfan Wrote: I'm not sure how this works and hope someone can help.  If the team requests and gets a temporary roster exemption for 2 weeks does the team have to pay him for that time and does it count against his commitment to fill out a years service?   

If Bell reports out of shape and after those 2 weeks fails to pass a physical or measure up to what's required, in the team's mind, to play can they put him on IR and still withhold his salary?  If that's done will his IR time count toward completing his season commitment?

If the answer if no to both the pay and time question I think the team truly holds the better hand.  

I realize it's a business but Bell has been a real jerk with his approach.  It may not play well if the team opts to take a vindictive route but I see little advantage to rewarding Bell's actions.
It’s my understanding, when Bell signs his franchise tag, the Steelers will request a two week roster exemption. The deal here is the Steelers and Bell have to agree on compensation during those two weeks. The  interesting thing is the Steelers don’t have to pay him anything for these two weeks, but Bell does have to show up and practice with the team to comply with the CBA.

I find no blame with either side as they are both exercising their rights under the CBA. If there is a place for blame, its with the lawyers that drew up the CBA. While I question Bell’s wisdom giving up $8.5 million dollars, he certainly has the right to make as much money as he can get.

The Steelers made a fair offer, which is all they can do. As we all know, big ticket contracts can hamstring a team from retaining top level talent. For example, Say what you  want about Brady, but the reason the Pats have been so consistent, why they always seem to be able to sign a decent FA is Brady is 12th in compensation of NFL QBs. Further, look at the last Super Bowl winners. There seems to be a run of super bowl winners run by QBs working on their rookie contract.

As for Bell, he shows up, he plays well, great. He shows up, and tanks, well, the saving of  $8.5 million dollars  of his salary with him sitting out will be applied to next year’s talent aquision/retention. There is no down side  at this point as far as I’m concerned.
sandfan
Hall of Famer

10-29-2018, 08:18 AM

If he shows up and signs I hope this time the team will put the transition tag on him and let him set the value. Future draft choice are more attractive, in my view, than bell. I hoped they would have put the transition tag on him this year. I think that was a major mistake by Colbert or whomever had that call.
dbsfgyd1
Hall of Famer

10-29-2018, 09:51 AM

sandfan, good to chat with you. Hope all is well.
sandfan
Hall of Famer

10-29-2018, 04:06 PM

DB,
Thanks for asking.  Life at the beach is good.  

I've not watched much pro football over the past couple of years.  A reaction to the kneeling but also because our son bought a business in the Charleston area and I help him out by working for him every Sunday.  That takes priority over the Steelers and NFL.  So far so good.  He's grown the revenue from $300K to just under $400K in 2 years.  Charleston is a very hot market.  Growth of the surrounding area has been very strong.  Life where I live in Pawleys Island is more sedate.

Hope all's well with you and yours.