1982 Steelers 36 at Cowboys 28 MNF
mcmillenandwife
Administrator

05-09-2017, 12:47 AM

1982 Steelers 36 at Cowboys 28 MNF

The Landry-era Cowboys experience a rare loss in a home opener thanks to 3 Terry Bradshaw TD passes and an opportunistic Pittsburgh defense. Things get off to a rocky start for Pittsburgh when they fumble away the opening kickoff after a good return. But Dallas fails to capitalize after driving to the Pittsburgh 15 when a botched, stumbling handoff from White to Dorsett is recovered by Pittsburgh. From there, Hall of Famers Terry Bradshaw (17 of 28, 246 yds, 3 TD, 0 Int), Franco Harris (24 carries, 103 yds) and John Stallworth (7 rec, 137 yds, 1 TD) all shine as the venerable Steelers outsmart, outplay and outlast the powerful Cowboys on Monday Night Football. The teams trade TDs in the first half and Dallas clings to a 14-13 lead at the break with the difference being a missed Pittsburgh PAT. With Tony Dorsett completely neutralized by Pittsburgh's new 3-4 defensive scheme (11 carries, 30 yards), Pittsburgh puts the game on Danny White's shoulders. White responds with 347 yds and 4 TDs but is also victimized for a pair of interceptions (Jack Ham, Rick Woods) and a blocked punt in the 3rd quarter, allowing the Steelers to explode for 20 unanswered points en route to an insurmountable 33-14 lead, rendering a late Dallas comeback effort irrelevant. A bright start to a season that was probably the most enjoyable of the '80s for me, in spite of being strike-shortened and ending in the first round of the playoffs. Thanks to Russell "SteelBuck 6" Emch for generously providing this sweet video upgrade! 
oHsLiCk
Rookie

05-09-2017, 02:08 PM

Love it! Great Game
mcmillenandwife
Administrator

05-09-2017, 07:57 PM

Thumbsup  Agreed. Dallas was so cocky coming into this game, too. Fun stuff.
Unregistered

05-12-2017, 04:51 AM

Bradshaw was really inspired by the 49ers success the year before, and he encouraged Chuck Noll to allow him to utilize the so-called West Coast offense -- short plays, run passes, etc. Noll allowed Bradshaw to go ahead with it, and the results are clear in this opening match. You wonder now if there hadn't been a strike to shorten the season, if Bradshaw and the Steelers would have had more time to refine their approach. It goes against the Blonde Bomber's instincts -- he likes to throw the ball deep -- but I'd like to think that if Bradshaw had had a full season to implement this new offense, the Steelers would have not only beaten the Chargers in the playoffs, but easily dispensed with Miami. Super Bowl XVI could have been Steelers-Washington.
mcmillenandwife
Administrator

05-12-2017, 02:34 PM

(05-12-2017, 04:51 AM)Guest Wrote: Bradshaw was really inspired by the 49ers success the year before, and he encouraged Chuck Noll to allow him to utilize the so-called West Coast offense -- short plays, run passes, etc. Noll allowed Bradshaw to go ahead with it, and the results are clear in this opening match. You wonder now if there hadn't been a strike to shorten the season, if Bradshaw and the Steelers would have had more time to refine their approach. It goes against the Blonde Bomber's instincts -- he likes to throw the ball deep -- but I'd like to think that if Bradshaw had had a full season to implement this new offense, the Steelers would have not only beaten the Chargers in the playoffs, but easily dispensed with Miami. Super Bowl XVI could have been Steelers-Washington.

Agreed on all counts. It's a shame the strike came when it did. Definitely a momentum killer.
PaidInFull
Rookie

05-12-2017, 06:29 PM

Somewhere between this game and Jan. 17 1999, Gary Anderson forgot how to ice a game. haha Too Soon, Viking fans?

Whenever I watch the old Steelers, I'm always impressed by Bradshaw's playcalling. A very undervalued aspect of his legacy, even though he brings it up on occasion (the only QB w/ 4 rings that called his own plays)

Pretty shocking how null and void the Steeler three or four-man pass rush was. Danny White was back there all night unless PIT blitzed.

Thanks for this site. Looks like it's a ton of work but it's appreciated.
mcmillenandwife
Administrator

05-12-2017, 09:02 PM

(05-12-2017, 06:29 PM)PaidInFull Wrote: Somewhere between this game and Jan. 17 1999, Gary Anderson forgot how to ice a game. haha  Too Soon, Viking fans?

Laugh

(05-12-2017, 06:29 PM)PaidInFull Wrote: Whenever I watch the old Steelers, I'm always impressed by Bradshaw's playcalling.  A very undervalued aspect of his legacy, even though he brings it up on occasion (the only QB w/ 4 rings that called his own plays)

I agree. Like every play caller, he had moments that made you scratch your head... times when he would press (1979 vs. San Diego comes to mind). But on the whole, he was outstanding. And he would call the game in a way that "colored inside the lines" of Chuck Noll's game plan, which for a gunslinger type QB had to be hard to do.

(05-12-2017, 06:29 PM)PaidInFull Wrote: Pretty shocking how null and void the Steeler three or four-man pass rush was.  Danny White was back there all night unless PIT blitzed.

Yes. The 3-4 in Pittsburgh was painful until Bill Cowher, Dom Capers and Dick LeBeau. Lambert hated it. 

(05-12-2017, 06:29 PM)PaidInFull Wrote: Thanks for this site.  Looks like it's a ton of work but it's appreciated.

You're welcome, and thanks for the kudos. It's not really work when you enjoy it, right? What I should be doing with the time I spend doing this is blowing the rust off my guitar chops. Instead... you have this website.  Pi_bigsmile
Unregistered

06-06-2017, 07:15 PM

Interesting how this game mirrors the shape and character of Super Bowl XIII. Dallas looks to strike early, fumbles, Pittsburgh recovers and scores. Stallworth figures early, etc. The Steelers blow the game open in the second half, and Dallas comes back to make it interesting late. But the real game-maker, again, is Bradshaw, sharp, tough and decisive. (P.S., once again, I wish we had Randy Grossman here; Cunningham, as always, dropping sure passes, but that's a small point, since we won)
mcmillenandwife
Administrator

06-06-2017, 10:57 PM

(06-06-2017, 07:15 PM)Guest Wrote: Interesting how this game mirrors the shape and character of Super Bowl XIII. Dallas looks to strike early, fumbles, Pittsburgh recovers and scores. Stallworth figures early, etc. The Steelers blow the game open in the second half, and Dallas comes back to make it interesting late. But the real game-maker, again, is Bradshaw, sharp, tough and decisive. (P.S., once again, I wish we had Randy Grossman here; Cunningham, as always, dropping sure passes, but that's a small point, since we won)

Yeah, Cunningham was an enigma. He'd have those moments where he'd make a great catch and all you could do was just say "wow" and marvel at his size and ability. And then 2 plays later, he'd drop an easy 3rd down pass. I'm with you... I definitely preferred Grossman. Play in, play out, he got it done. And fantastic hands.
Crash
All Pro Veteran

06-07-2017, 05:31 AM

Another thing I wish they would have done with Terry late in his career was the shotgun. With that extra 2-3 seconds and that speed at WR who knows what could have happened, it may have cut down on Terry's turnovers too.
mcmillenandwife
Administrator

06-12-2017, 07:05 PM

A huge thanks to Russell "SteelBuck 6" Emch for generously providing this sweet video upgrade!!!  Thumbsup Thumbsup Thumbsup
Unregistered

06-19-2017, 11:56 AM

Love the site and reliving seeing the great Steeler teams of yesterday.  Does anyone know why Chuck Noll started to wear the coaching headset in 1982?