2019 Offensive Line
dbsfgyd1
Hall of Famer

10-30-2018, 10:06 AM

We’ve been fortunate to have our OL together for a number of years. But in the NFL, players  come and go, and this partnership will eventually need be overhauled. 

We have some younger players that are showing the ability to take over some of the load. Namely, Feeney, Fieler, Chucks, and  Hawkins standing in the wings.

Going into this season, I would have bet that this would be Foster’s last hurrah, with Feeney taking over. From what I’ve seen so far this year, this is the best Foster has ever been. 

Fieler play has been enlightening to say the least, especially considering  Gillbert’s Injuries and contract status ( Tunch mentioned on the radio cast yesterday Gilbert has missed 25% of his games since joining the Steelers), and may have made a case for himself to be a starter next year, as he hits free agency. IMO, we should hang on to this kid as his best position may actually be at guard, keeping Feeney available as an eventual Pouncey’s replacement.

Scuttlebutt has it that Chucks is a starting capable tackle, but just needs time to adjust to the NFL level. The NFL is a long way from Eastern Michigan, but there are high hopes.

Speaking of high hopes, or unrealized potential, whichever way you want to look at it, there is Jerald Hawkins. I haven’t seen enough of him to develop an opinion of his capability, other than getting hurt, a lot, seems to be a wasted draft pick. He either will show ready to play or will be gone at the end of training camp.

One other point to ponder for next year, we have the cap savings from Bell’s severe case of the blue flu rolling over from this year, as well as the salary we were going to pay him to land some decent FA talent, if the price is right. Don’t be surprised if we bring in a Jeff Harting like offensive lineman.