1986 Steelers 10 vs Broncos 21 MNF
mcmillenandwife
Administrator

12-17-2018, 01:26 AM

1986 Steelers 10 vs Broncos 21 MNF

Despite no running game (just 30 yds in 15 atts), the Steelers manage to keep it close for 3 quarters on Monday night. But in the end, John Elway comes up with enough big plays against Pittsburgh's blitzing defense to put the game away in the 4th. While Elway hits 21 of 39 for 243 yds, 3 TDs and 0 INTs, Mark Malone is frequently booed by the home crowd, throwing 8 consecutive incompletions at one point in the first half along with a pair of INTs. Thanks to Jay Korber for providing us with this game! 
Crash
Hall of Famer

12-17-2018, 02:00 PM

UGH...my first game in Tree Rivers and had to fly home with a plane full of Bronco fans including the annoying barrel man.
BlackAndGold7
Special Teamer

12-18-2018, 03:12 PM

I was too young to enjoy the 70s teams, so I had to suffer through the mostly awful 80s teams before the Steelers became good again. Some really bad quarterbacks in that decade. Mark Malone ended up being one of the more hated ones the Steelers had in that decade along with Cliff Stoudt and Bubby Brister. I can remember how much booing the fans did with all three of those quarterbacks. The Steelers would have had some good teams in the 80s if they just had a decent quarterback.
mcmillenandwife
Administrator

12-18-2018, 11:31 PM

(12-18-2018, 03:12 PM)BlackAndGold7 Wrote: I was too young to enjoy the 70s teams, so I had to suffer through the mostly awful 80s teams before the Steelers became good again. Some really bad quarterbacks in that decade. Mark Malone ended up being one of the more hated ones the Steelers had in that decade along with Cliff Stoudt and Bubby Brister. I can remember how much booing the fans did with all three of those quarterbacks. The Steelers would have had some good teams in the 80s if they just had a decent quarterback.

Yeah, the '80s were rough from '83 on. Simply terrible QBs. 

Cliff Stoudt. Hated him. Not really his fault; he just wasn't Bradshaw. David Woodley. Fragile, erratic. Mark Malone was probably most-booed of all. He had a few bright spots early and he never really drew my ire like Stoudt did. But he was downright awful, even with the benefit of having Stallworth and Lipps. Bubby Brister? Always liked his heart. Not a lot going on upstairs, not a good QB, but a fighter playing with very little talent at wide receiver. Todd Blackledge, Scott Campbell and Steve Bono were also in there but really aren't worth mentioning.

You know, the '90s weren't much better for the Steelers at QB. I never liked Neil O'Donnell. Couldn't stand him, in fact. Was he better than Brister? Of course. But no imagination, he brought no creativity or fire to the position and he was without question the weak link on some pretty incredible teams. Can you imagine Big Ben on the '94 - '95 teams? Add a pair of Lombardi's to the collection with him. Then came Mike Tomczak, Jim Miller and Kent Graham. Yoi and double yoi. Always liked T-zak because, like Brister, he played with heart (despite his lack of ability as a QB). And of course, there was Kordell. Ah, Kordell... such a bright start and such a disappointing finish. I really liked Kordell and it wasn't until the very end that I finally gave up on him. 

Back to your point. We had some pretty good defenses in the '80s. Solid QB play would've made it a much brighter time, to be sure.