1977 AFC Playoffs Steelers 21 at Broncos 34
mcmillenandwife
Administrator

05-11-2017, 11:44 PM

1977 AFC Playoffs Steelers 21 at Broncos 34

This is a game the Steelers probably should've won, but Tom Jackson has fantastic game (2 Int and a fumble recovery as well as some incredible hits) for the "Orange Crush". Also, this game is a perfect illustration of why you should never, EVER continue to hold Joe Greene after he warns you to stop (watch what happens to Denver guard Paul Howard at the 59:10 mark). OUCH!!! A few plays later, Joe gets wronged again in his view and takes a similar shot at Mike Montler (64:18). The Steelers get penalized 15 yards, but on the very next play, Denver coughs up the ball and guess who recovers? Joe Greene! The moral of the story: Do not -- I repeat -- do NOT hold Joe Greene, people! LOL. Game is joined in progress and missing some action in 3rd quarter. 
Garrett Garlits
Starting Lineup

05-12-2017, 04:48 PM

For everyone's information, this tape is the complete network broadcast. The game was joined in progress by NBC just after Denver's first score because the famous "Ghost to the Post" classic between the Raiders and the Colts had just concluded moments earlier. Today, either the Steelers-Broncos game would have been held up for as long as possible to accommodate the Oakland-Baltimore finish or Pittsburgh and Denver would have been sent off to Steelers-Broncos, with the rest of the country coming on board once the Raiders and Colts were finished.
mcmillenandwife
Administrator

05-12-2017, 08:55 PM

Thanks for the info, as always, Garrett!  Thumbsup

I'm thankful the NFL has added a little more time between games these days, but even now, sometimes it's not enough. I have numerous games over the last 15 years that still have 1st quarter action missing because the early games ended late (an example that comes to mind is the 2004 Halloween win over New England, in which I missed Hines Ward's 85-yard TD catch and run because the early game was in OT... even though I had Sunday Ticket!). For this reason, I still hate it when the Steelers have a late afternoon kickoff.
danderson400
Special Teamer

05-15-2017, 01:54 PM

Happened to me last year, when CBS stayed with the Cleveland at Miami game, and we missed the first part of the game aganist the Eagles, so it does still happen.
danderson400
Special Teamer

05-15-2017, 01:55 PM

(05-12-2017, 04:48 PM)Garrett Garlits Wrote: For everyone's information, this tape is the complete network broadcast. The game was joined in progress by NBC just after Denver's first score because the famous "Ghost to the Post" classic between the Raiders and the Colts had just concluded moments earlier. Today, either the Steelers-Broncos game would have been held up for as long as possible to accommodate the Oakland-Baltimore finish or Pittsburgh and Denver would have been sent off to Steelers-Broncos, with the rest of the country coming on board once the Raiders and Colts were finished.

They could have delayed the game in Denver or maybe had the Denver game on Sunday instead...
Crash
All Pro Veteran

05-19-2017, 06:00 PM

(05-12-2017, 08:55 PM)mcmillenandwife Wrote: Thanks for the info, as always, Garrett!  Thumbsup

I'm thankful the NFL has added a little more time between games these days, but even now, sometimes it's not enough. I have numerous games over the last 15 years that still have 1st quarter action missing because the early games ended late (an example that comes to mind is the 2004 Halloween win over New England, in which I missed Hines Ward's 85-yard TD catch and run because the early game was in OT... even though I had Sunday Ticket!). For this reason, I still hate it when the Steelers have a late afternoon kickoff.

This all started because local channels sued to have Sunday Ticket 700 channels blacked out.  They want you, to watch the game on THEIR channel, even if it's not the local team.  You just have to hope you get lucky and someone monitoring the game at DTV opens up the 700 channel if the first game is running late as they are supposed to per NFL agreement.  Sometimes they do, sometimes they don't. 

The Chiefs playing at 1 PM and the Steelers playing at 4 PM is always a potential problem.  Chiefs games always tend to run long.  

The ONLY advantage I really have though is Denver plays all of their home games at 4-4:25 ET on Sunday's so I don't have a problem on Sunday's usually when Denver is playing late also.  It's when Denver isn't playing, and the Cheifs are playing early, and we play later on the same local channel is when I get worried.
Garrett Garlits
Starting Lineup

05-21-2017, 10:42 AM

This was a strange year for the NFL playoffs. Normally in those days, the NFC and AFC played one game each on Saturday and Sunday of Divisional Weekend, which meant no network conflicts. But in '77, Christmas was on a Sunday, and the NFL wanted no part of playing on Christmas, so they moved the Sunday games to Monday. December 26. Why they had both games from the AFC on Saturday (Christmas Eve) and both NFC games on Monday, I have no idea. They could easily have given CBS the late Saturday game (it would have almost certainly been Vikings-Rams at 4 Eastern) and the early Monday game (which most likely would have been Bears-Cowboys at 2 Eastern, as it was in real life.) That would have meant that Steelers-Broncos would have kicked off at 5:30 Eastern, assuming that the league kept the same times they used in real life.
(This post was last modified: 05-21-2017, 10:45 AM by Garrett Garlits.)
mcmillenandwife
Administrator

05-25-2017, 11:24 PM

(05-21-2017, 10:42 AM)Garrett Garlits Wrote: This was a strange year for the NFL playoffs. Normally in those days, the NFC and AFC played one game each on Saturday and Sunday of Divisional Weekend, which meant no network conflicts. But in '77, Christmas was on a Sunday, and the NFL wanted no part of playing on Christmas, so they moved the Sunday games to Monday. December 26. Why they had both games from the AFC on Saturday (Christmas Eve) and both NFC games on Monday, I have no idea. They could easily have given CBS the late Saturday game (it would have almost certainly been Vikings-Rams at 4 Eastern) and the early Monday game (which most likely would have been Bears-Cowboys at 2 Eastern, as it was in real life.) That would have meant that Steelers-Broncos would have kicked off at 5:30 Eastern, assuming that the league kept the same times they used in real life.

Good background info, as always, Garrett!  Thumbsup Appreciate it!
danderson400
Special Teamer

06-05-2017, 02:52 AM

(05-12-2017, 04:48 PM)Garrett Garlits Wrote: For everyone's information, this tape is the complete network broadcast. The game was joined in progress by NBC just after Denver's first score because the famous "Ghost to the Post" classic between the Raiders and the Colts had just concluded moments earlier. Today, either the Steelers-Broncos game would have been held up for as long as possible to accommodate the Oakland-Baltimore finish or Pittsburgh and Denver would have been sent off to Steelers-Broncos, with the rest of the country coming on board once the Raiders and Colts were finished.

I thought joining the Steelers-Broncos game in progress would have been against TV policy, at least in Pittsburgh or Denver.
thespiritof1976
Starting Lineup

06-28-2017, 02:34 AM

Holy crap on that punch from Mean Joe!

I mean, crap man!

I mean, it wasn't even sneaky. I was an overt, out in the open, everyone can see it, yeah I did it punch.

Imagine if that happened today ?

Damn!

They would have thrown the book at him.

Different times.

P.S. - you know it was a good stomach punch too by the way the OL for the Broncos collapsed. He sucked the wind out of him with it. I mean, damn guys, that was a legit boxing punch.
mcmillenandwife
Administrator

06-28-2017, 06:17 AM

(06-28-2017, 02:34 AM)thespiritof1976 Wrote: Holy crap on that punch from Mean Joe!

I mean, crap man!

I mean, it wasn't even sneaky. I was an overt, out in the open, everyone can see it, yeah I did it punch.

Damn!

Different times.

P.S. - you know it was a good stomach punch too by the way the OL for the Broncos collapsed. He sucked the wind out of him with it. I mean, damn guys, that was a legit boxing punch.

The thing that's even crazier is that he tried it again a few plays later! Laugh Figured it worked once, so why not?
thespiritof1976
Starting Lineup

06-29-2017, 01:57 AM

(06-28-2017, 06:17 AM)mcmillenandwife Wrote:
(06-28-2017, 02:34 AM)thespiritof1976 Wrote: Holy crap on that punch from Mean Joe!

I mean, crap man!

Damn!

Different times.

The thing that's even crazier is that he tried it again a few plays later! Laugh Figured it worked once, so why not?

The 70's were different. The 80's too.

Look at this hit and tell me how hard the league would have come down on Scott Brantley:

mcmillenandwife
Administrator

06-29-2017, 02:46 AM

(06-29-2017, 01:57 AM)thespiritof1976 Wrote: The 70's were different. The 80's too.

Look at this hit and tell me how hard the league would have come down on Scott Brantley:

Sweet mother of Mary!!!   Scared  Scared  Scared   Laugh

Ahhhh... Hipple had it comin' for shaving his beard.  Pi_wink1
Garrett Garlits
Starting Lineup

08-05-2017, 03:09 AM

At halftime, there are interviews from the Raiders' locker room after the epic "Ghost to the Post" game, highlights from the first half of Steelers-Broncos, and Jo Jo Starbuck (Mrs. Terry Bradshaw at the time) skating to "White Christmas" on the rink at Rockefeller Center.

By the way, Bryant Gumbel and Mike Adamle did NFL '77 from outside Rockefeller Center that day, which I don't recall NBC ever doing again. (Don't count on it happening these days; NBC Sports' studios are in Stamford, CT.)
(This post was last modified: 08-05-2017, 03:10 AM by Garrett Garlits.)
danderson400
Special Teamer

08-06-2017, 02:53 AM

(08-05-2017, 03:09 AM)Garrett Garlits Wrote: At halftime, there are interviews from the Raiders' locker room after the epic "Ghost to the Post" game, highlights from the first half of Steelers-Broncos, and Jo Jo Starbuck (Mrs. Terry Bradshaw at the time) skating to "White Christmas" on the rink at Rockefeller Center.

By the way, Bryant Gumbel and Mike Adamle did NFL '77 from outside Rockefeller Center that day, which I don't recall NBC ever doing again. (Don't count on it happening these days; NBC Sports' studios are in Stamford, CT.)
Have to agree; can't imagine NBC doing these days, with everything they do being in CT, but they oculd do it if a Giants or Jets game was on Christmas.
Bobcat29
Special Teamer

08-13-2017, 12:19 AM

Talking about shooting yourself in the foot and head. Still do not know how Denver got to the Super Bowl that season. Great defense but Craig Morton? Never was a fan of his.
mcmillenandwife
Administrator

08-13-2017, 01:43 AM

(08-13-2017, 12:19 AM)Bobcat29 Wrote: Talking about shooting yourself in the foot and head. Still do not know how Denver got to the Super Bowl that season. Great defense but Craig Morton? Never was a fan of his.

Agreed. Morton was the Neil O'Donnell of the '70s. Laugh Not much talent, zero imagination to his play, but fortunate enough to have a truly great defense on the other side of the ball. Denver had a good team and a remarkable regular season in '77  at 12-2, but they still didn't quite "belong" with the big boys in my opinion (and the Cowboys proved that). 

The Steelers, on the other hand, had a pretty terrible '77. Holdouts, injuries, lawsuits... a QB playing with a cast on his broken left wrist. It's crazy how much went wrong, so I'm not making the case that they belonged in the Super Bowl that year. They were fortunate to even squeak into the playoffs (Thank you, Houston Oilers!). But how much more satisfying would a Cowboys/Raiders Super Bowl have been?