Salary cap to be near $190 million in 2019
Chucktownsteeler
Hall of Famer

12-20-2018, 03:09 AM

Salary cap will be around $190 million in 2019

By Michael David Smith | Dec 11, 2018, 5:26 PM EST

The NFL’s salary cap is rising again.

The league announced today that the salary cap will rise to somewhere in the neighborhood of $190 million in 2019. The 2018 cap is set at $177.2 million.

“The NFL informed clubs today that the projections for the 2019 salary cap are in the range of $187.0 million to $191.1 million,” the league said in a statement. “This marks a 40% increase in just five years since the 2014 season ($133.0 million) and would be the 6th consecutive year the cap is projected to climb more than $10 million per club year over year. Total projected player costs, including benefits, will be more than $7.3 billion in 2019.”

The first year the NFL had a salary cap, in 1994, it was $34.6 million. That would be about $59 million in today’s dollars. So if the cap had merely kept pace with inflation, it would be less than one-third of what it will be in 2019.

Recently I read that the Steelers were going to have $26M in cap space next year against the old number after not signing Bell. If the cap goes up about $13M that should give us about $39M of cap space. That is unheard of for the Steelers.

Anybody here we go after:

Jadeveon Clowney (OLB)

Kareem Jackson (CB)

Dee Ford (OLB)

Earl Thomas (S)

Orlando Scandrick (CB)

Sheldon Richardson (DT)

Ha Ha Clinton-Dix (S) Every team should have a Ha Ha and a Juju 

Ndamukung Suh (DT - might add the nastyness that the Steelers have been lacking)

Tyrann Mathieu (S)

CJ Mosely (ILB)

Jason McCourty (CB)

Next - Minkah, #39!
  [Image: chucktown_sig_pic.jpg]
(This post was last modified: 12-20-2018, 03:10 AM by Chucktownsteeler.)
Rollers
Hall of Famer

12-20-2018, 08:22 AM

The Steelers are pikers compared to most of the NFL. That amount won't buy much unless you want to throw it at one player. unless you want to upgrade the offensive line which is aging. there will be no big name free agents coming to pittsburgh. You can book it
Chucktownsteeler
Hall of Famer

12-20-2018, 09:21 AM

There is a minimum salary cap requirement as well, no?

Next - Minkah, #39!
Rollers
Hall of Famer

12-20-2018, 10:57 AM

(12-20-2018, 09:21 AM)Chucktownsteeler Wrote: There is a minimum salary cap requirement as well, no?

and?  You were talking about free money no?  Some have over 100 million.  never mind
Crash
Hall of Famer

12-20-2018, 06:12 PM

I also think Gilbert, Burnett, and maybe Dupree can be cut. That would save another $19 million.

Conner IMO will get a reasonable bump/raise, and if he doesn't retire (If they pulled a miracle and won the SB I think he does) I think Ben will get a two year extension to lower his cap number.

But you are right Chuck, this is almost unheard of for this team to have this much cap space. The thought of Clowney playing OLB opposite Watt is intriguing to say the least.

But Colbert and Co. have to be pro-active. Very disappointed how Colbert handled the Bell and Bryant situations. He needs to stop being lazy, and start doing his job.
Chucktownsteeler
Hall of Famer

12-21-2018, 01:07 AM

(12-20-2018, 06:12 PM)Crash Wrote: I also think Gilbert, Burnett, and maybe Dupree can be cut.  That would save another $19 million.  

Conner IMO will get a reasonable bump/raise, and if he doesn't retire (If they pulled a miracle and won the SB I think he does) I think Ben will get a two year extension to lower his cap number.  

But you are right Chuck, this is almost unheard of for this team to have this much cap space.  The thought of Clowney playing OLB opposite Watt is intriguing to say the least.  

But Colbert and Co. have to be pro-active.  Very disappointed how Colbert handled the Bell and Bryant situations.  He needs to stop being lazy, and start doing his job.

Leving' On Bell completely blindsided this front office and the team, no doubt. Colbert & Co. had no Plan B and forced Connor to start. He's been injured both season's and his ball security maybe an issue. With this porous defense turn-overs are troublesome to say the least. 

Connor and Ju-Ju will probably get a performance bonus but per current CBA agreement their rookie contracts can't be altered until after their 3rd year in the league. The Steelers bumped Tuitts contract after his 3rd full season, so I think they'll do the same for Connor and Ju-Ju.

Next - Minkah, #39!
(This post was last modified: 12-21-2018, 01:08 AM by Chucktownsteeler.)
Chucktownsteeler
Hall of Famer

12-21-2018, 01:13 AM

Gilbert is probably gone and Foster has been quoted as saying he wants to "break the bank". To be fair he's never had the "big contract" his line-mates have. However, I think his age works against him.

Welcome to the J-E-T-S Jets, Mr. Foster.

Next - Minkah, #39!
Chucktownsteeler
Hall of Famer

12-21-2018, 01:53 AM

(12-20-2018, 06:12 PM)Crash Wrote: I also think Gilbert, Burnett, and maybe Dupree can be cut.  That would save another $19 million.  

But you are right Chuck, this is almost unheard of for this team to have this much cap space.  The thought of Clowney playing OLB opposite Watt is intriguing to say the least.  

But Colbert and Co. have to be pro-active.  Very disappointed how Colbert handled the Bell and Bryant situations.  He needs to stop being lazy, and start doing his job.

Clowney is playing opposite of the older Watt, so bring him to the 'Burgh!

Would you kick the tires on Mosley???

Next - Minkah, #39!