tomlin
Rollers
Hall of Famer

12-24-2018, 10:52 AM

To you tomlin nut huggers.  This season came down to losses against the Raiders, and the Broncos, and a tie to Cleveland.  Tomlin has to go.  Take the coaching staff with him.
mcmillenandwife
Administrator

12-24-2018, 10:54 AM

(12-24-2018, 10:52 AM)Rollers Wrote: To you tomlin nut huggers.  This season came down to losses against the Raiders, and the Broncos, and a tie to Cleveland.  Tomlin has to go.  Take the coaching staff with him.

Would love to see that happen, although I like Randy Fichtner as O-coordinator.

Tomlin is going nowhere, though. The win over New England ensured he'll be here next year regardless of what happens.
Rollers
Hall of Famer

12-24-2018, 10:57 AM

(12-24-2018, 10:54 AM)mcmillenandwife Wrote:
(12-24-2018, 10:52 AM)Rollers Wrote: To you tomlin nut huggers.  This season came down to losses against the Raiders, and the Broncos, and a tie to Cleveland.  Tomlin has to go.  Take the coaching staff with him.

Tomlin is going nowhere, though. The win over New England ensured he'll be here next year regardless of what happens.
Yeah i know.  No clue how ownership is good with this unless they're getting like the Nuttings and are just happy to make a few bucks.  Tomlin needs to go.  Won't be surprised to see us lose to Cincy next week.  Ravens actually have an NFL defense unlike us and will kill the Browns
bbbooger
All Pro Veteran

12-24-2018, 11:03 AM

(12-24-2018, 10:57 AM)Rollers Wrote:
(12-24-2018, 10:54 AM)mcmillenandwife Wrote:

Yeah i know.  No clue how ownership is good with this unless they're getting like the Nuttings and are just happy to make a few bucks.  Tomlin needs to go.  Won't be surprised to see us lose to Cincy next week.  Ravens actually have an NFL defense unlike us and will kill the Browns
Lost to the then 2-10 Raiders, makes Cinci look downright formidable... Ugh!
sandfan
Hall of Famer

12-24-2018, 11:21 AM

I don't understand the fake punt call. Up by 4 we could have forced NO to go 75 yards to win. I think the math works better with a punt but I'm never sure Tomlin understands in game strategy and tactics. 0 for his last 10 challenges is one indication of his failure to execute when crunch time hits. Maybe Brees would have gotten it done anyway but giving him a potential short field was really questionable.

The first PI call was embarrassing and the ref deserves to be fired. Those 7 points really hurt.

The Ridley fumble was another questionable decision. Why entrust a guy with a history of fumbling when you have a HOF QB playing at the top of his game? When Ben is hot I'd be really hesitant to take the ball out of his hands and he was in that zone today.

I'm not certain Tomlin made the Ridley and fake punt calls. But I'd guess he did since those kinds of decisions should fall to the head coach.

The game was fun to watch. The team performed well considering the venue. I think the refs and Tomin were problematic. I've never been a Tomlin fan and this game just made me more convinced he's not and has never been ready for prime time. If he were fired at the end of the season I would not be unhappy.

One super bowl and a modest accumulation of playoff wins with a HOF QB your entire career is not what I'd consider solid or acceptable performance. Noll won 4 with Bradshaw. Cowher won 1 with a bunch of stiffs at QB until they drafted Ben. I fear this team will not win another with Tomlin in the head coaching slot. I doubt the Rooney family will hold him accountable. It's not the liberal way.
Crash
Hall of Famer

12-24-2018, 11:27 AM

That fake punt should cost Tomlin his job.

But it won't.

Out of the staff I would keep Fichtner, Saxon, and maybe Porter, the rest, including the fake owners son who thinks he's a coach, can all beat street.
sandfan
Hall of Famer

12-24-2018, 03:15 PM

"Never had a losing season" looks more and more like a participation trophy to me.
Chucktownsteeler
Hall of Famer

12-24-2018, 04:37 PM

This guy will be here as long as he wants (and the seats are full).

Next - Minkah, #39!
  [Image: chucktown_sig_pic.jpg]
Garrett Garlits
All Pro Veteran

12-25-2018, 01:55 AM

Sandfan,

As if the conservative way would be any better. At least the Rooneys' liberalism is only "screwing up" a football team, not an entire country. (Note the quotation marks.) It's people like you, not the performance of the team on the field, that makes me ashamed to be a Steeler fan at times. Take your politics and stick them up your ass.
(This post was last modified: 12-25-2018, 01:59 AM by Garrett Garlits.)
Cali-Steeler
Hall of Famer

12-25-2018, 02:29 AM

(12-25-2018, 01:55 AM)Garrett Garlits Wrote: Sandfan,

As if the conservative way would be any better. At least the Rooneys' liberalism is only "screwing up" a football team, not an entire country. (Note the quotation marks.) It's people like you, not the performance of the team on the field, that makes me ashamed to be a Steeler fan at times. Take your politics and stick them up your ass.

Everyone's pist off from the game and what not.  And every's entitled to their opinion including yourself.

No need for that trash talk here because you don't approve of someone elses view.
Rollers
Hall of Famer

12-25-2018, 02:33 AM

(12-25-2018, 01:55 AM)Garrett Garlits Wrote: Sandfan,

wow A tough guy.  So sick of your posts.  IF you're ashamed of being a steelers fan because of others don't come here.  Don't post here.  THAT'LL show us!!!!  Hey Tim, can you take care of this guy?  Thanks
Chucktownsteeler
Hall of Famer

12-25-2018, 03:41 AM

Garrett - Sanfan is a good man and valued poster. Please re-frame form the personal attacks.

Next - Minkah, #39!
Garrett Garlits
All Pro Veteran

12-25-2018, 04:29 AM

No way. If he wants to bring politics into his ramblings, then I'm going to do the same. I, for one, DON'T value him, and he doesn't sound like a good man to me when he talks like that.

And while I'm at it, enough with the idea that people can say whatever garbage they want to just because the Steelers lost a game. Your favorite team losing a game is no excuse to launch political attacks on the team's owners.. Some of us, like me, don't like it, and we're more than prepared to fight back, as you saw above. I think a hell of a lot more of the Rooneys than I do of the joker currently running this country, that's for goddamned sure.
sandfan
Hall of Famer

12-25-2018, 05:25 AM

I worked for a couple of CEOs who ran our firms just like Trump. We beat budgets, made money for the employees and shareholders and held our heads high. Many of those who attack Trump today supported him when he was a darling of NY liberal society. What changed besides he bested their queen? What's the reason for all the liberal hatred today? The economy is fine, unemployment is low, wages are rising, we are no longer a pushover in the global community, we have the best opportunities for minorities in my lifetime, the tax plan has value for the majority of our citizens, a majority of citizens feel the Nation is on the right track, etc. What's the real beef? Now let's get to the meat of my comment and your objections.

I lived around the block from Dan in Mt Lebanon. Met him on several occasions. I was familiar with his political persuasion but I've never understood why anything other than talent and track record should be part of a hiring decision. When a team, regardless of the arena, opts to incorporate ancillary criteria it runs the risk of degrading the overall performance. That's a concept I've implemented successfully in my entire career.

My folks lived a couple of houses from Cowher's parents. Met Bill, admired his passion and thought he did a superior job despite a stable of also ran QBs. I don't know how intimate you have been with Steeler management but wanted you to have a chance to view my experience in Pittsburgh and basis for my comment.

Politics should not be an integral part of athletics. I played two sports through college but, now that I've matured, I realize they are little more than diversions today. None of us were on the inside during the Tomlin hiring process. I did not notice that his resume was outstanding but believe he did an adequate job as a defensive coordinator. I submit he has under performed considering the overall talent during his tenure as well as the fact that he has had a HOF level QB for the duration. That's especially true considering his average playoff record.

That may be offensive to some. So be it. The record stands and cannot be changed re Tomlin. Some may feel he's been a great coach. I'm not in that group. Some may feel the Rooney rule brings value to the game. I don't. I believe each should be judged on merit and potential alone. I believe that's how any organization can optimize performance and results. I hate participation trophies and always wanted to earn my spot in the lineup along with titles won. Gifts were never given or expected.

So Garrett sling away. Everyone is entitled to an opinion. I respect one's that are based more in fact than emotion but that's just me. The fact is the Rooney rule reflected a liberal bias toward a hiring practice. I made that statement and will stick with it. You may object to the term liberal and prefer progressive or some other facade but I think the rule reflects a liberal political bias and said so. And, by the way, I won't be sticking it anywhere. That's a joke son. Try to take it that way.
Garrett Garlits
All Pro Veteran

12-25-2018, 06:12 AM

First of all, countires that used to be our allies are laughing at us and think our president is a total joke. They have no idea how we could be so stupid as to have elected him. We've made the British angry, the Israelis mistrust us, and our so-called leader is widely believed to be at the beck and call of at least one dictator, if not more. I'll take the respect of the world community over a few extra dollars in my pocket any day.

To bring this back to football, the Rooney Rule was implemented because too many old white guys were hiring too many other old white guys that hadn't done the job wherever they'd coached before. Plenty of black and other minority coaches who were known throughout the league to be better than the ones who were being hired over and over weren't even getting interviews, and it was making the NFL look racist, especially since more and more of the players were black as time went on. Merit is a subjective concept, and most of the people who determined what it was were ignoring those who looked different from them. So the NFL pried their eyes open, sometimes against their will, and the league's been better for it. That's not to say that every minority coach will be successful, but every one that is successful is one more than was successful before the Rooney Rule was implemented.

I'm a diehard Tomlin supporter, and I believe that 90-95% of the criticism of him is either racially motivated or comes from jealousy over the man's ability to use words of more than two syllables. Most of the rest is the typical backlash by Pittsburghers against people who don't believe someone is a "Pittsburgh guy", To put it bluntly, he's black, he's smart, and he's from out of town, and most of you can't handle that. Almost every football-related talking point people bring up is a cover for one or more of the three, and most of you are too dumb to mask that. What the hell does the Rooneys being liberal have to do with their analysis of Tomlin? Why bring it up unless you wanted to make a political statement?

To sum it up. you keep dishing out the conservative hatred, and I'll keep refuting it. I don't respect your opinions one iota, and I don't think those opinions have a thing to do with the Steelers or football when you come down to it. You and everyone else who hates Tomlin are either racists, snobs, or both, and as I said I'm ashamed to be among you. Talk respectfully about the man, give him praise when he deserves it win or lose, and we can have a discussion about his weak points. Other than that, the part about sticking it up your ass goes double.
(This post was last modified: 02-27-2020, 03:20 PM by Garrett Garlits.)
Rollers
Hall of Famer

12-25-2018, 06:57 AM

(12-25-2018, 06:12 AM)Garrett Garlits Wrote: First of all, countires that used to be our allies are laughing at us and think our president is a total joke. They have no idea how we could be so stupid as to have elected him. We've made the British angry, the Israelis mistrust us, and our so-called leader is widely believed to be at the beck and call of at least one dictator, if not more. I'll take the respect of the world community over a few extra dollars in my pocket any day.

To bring this back to football, the Rooney Rule was implemented because too many old white guys were hiring too many other old white guys that hadn't done the job wherever they'd coached before. Plenty of black and other minority coaches who were known throughout the league to be better than the ones who were being hired over and over weren't even getting interviews, and it was making the NFL look racist, especially since more and more of the players were black as time went on. Merit is a subjective concept, and most of the people who determined what it was were ignoring those who looked different from them. So the NFL pried their eyes open, sometimes against their will, and the league's been better for it. That's not to say that every minority coach will be successful, but every one that is successful is one more than was successful before the Rooney Rule was implemented.

I'm a diehard Tomlin supporter, and I believe that 90-95% of the criticism of him is either racially motivated or comes from jealousy over the man's ability to use words of more than two syllables. Most of the rest is the typical backlash by Pittsburghers against people who don't believe someone is a "Pittsburgh guy", To put it bluntly, he's black, he's smart, and he's from out of town, and most of you can't handle that.  Almost every football-related talking point people bring up is a cover for one or more of the three, and most of you are too dumb to mask that. What the hell does the Rooneys being liberal have to do with their analysis of Tomlin? Why bring it up unless you wanted to make a political statement?

To sum it up. you keep dishing out the conservative hatred, and I'll keep refuting it. I don't respect your opinions one iota, and I don't think those opinions have a thing to do with the Steelers or football when you come down to it. You and everyone else who hates Tomlin are either racists, snobs, or both, and as I said I'm ashamed to be among you. Talk respectfully about the man, give him praise when he deserves it win or lose, and we can have a discussion about his weak points. Other than that, the part about sticking it up your ass goes double.

you are an utter joke.  you play the race card cause that's all you have.  How old are you 10?  You haven't refuted ANYTHING.  I'm glad I didn't vote for either of the two criminals that ran for president.  You need to go away.  Just go away.  Tough guy
Chucktownsteeler
Hall of Famer

12-25-2018, 07:17 AM

I'm not even going to waste a minute arguing with this guy.

Next - Minkah, #39!
Garrett Garlits
All Pro Veteran

12-25-2018, 10:43 AM

I don't need someone to argue with me who dared to call Ruth Bader Ginsburg, a justice of the Supreme Court and someone who's fighting for her life after lung cancer surgery, a piece of shit. I don't care how much you disagree with her politically; name-calling like that shows just how low of a human being you really are.
sandfan
Hall of Famer

12-25-2018, 12:10 PM

I ran a global business for the last 14 years of my career. Before that I worked in a less than executive capacity for another 10 but was still involved globally. Before that I was domestically restricted. I speak 3 languages and have friends and business contacts on every continent save Africa and Australia. I spent years doing business in the USSR and am pretty confident I have some grasp of how some of the rest of the world feels and thinks. I don't rely on CNN to tell me what's right or wrong with the planet and how the occupants think and feel. I can get that daily if I choose to do so via the internet or phone.

I'm 73 and retired as a global vp of a multi national firm. My division was just under one billion dollars in revenue. I don't live in my parent's basement. I've been there and done my thing and what I shared comes from the world of realty and not fake news. There's little doubt those that govern in the old USSR and the rest of the world would like to see the status quo hold true. That's the basis of their power and wealth. That's true in America as well and the reason Trump, and those like and who support him, are such a threat.

But I assure you, from my experience over several decades with the people who are "oppressed" by these so called elites, that their hearts are not with the oppressors. I'm of Russian heritage and an pretty confident the average Joe on the street thinks pretty much like we do here. I've been there more than 30 times and I've not been moved from that position.

I'm more than willing to certify my credentials and welcome input as well as a constructive critique from those who have a history and education to add to our discussion. However, it is offensive to call me a racist because I think Tomlin has under performed and the Rooney's may have allowed liberal thinking to enter into their hiring process. Dan had his view and I had mine. There's nothing racist in the deal. I just believe in talent and performance and discount ancillary issues.

I've had quite a number of minorites in my organization. Globally. Every one of them was a contributor. Not all passed through the PC crap the HR departments tried to force upon me. In fact most did not measure up to what I and my team expected. That's why they did not fit in. My job was to insure my people had a better life and the shareholders were happy. The color of one's skin or religion made no difference in that equation.

I'm not a tough guy but I did grow up in McKees Rocks and never ran away from a fight or a competition. I'm too old to push that envelope today but I hope I've passed those attributes on son to my son.

I have no idea of your history or contacts globally. I am pretty secure re mine. If you are just a CNN and liberal news kind of guy please step up and admit it. If, however, you have true global experience I'd like to understand the basis of your position. I'm please to certify my legitimacy with my resume. I'm not trying to be obnoxious or overly aggressive. I'm just offering to establish my credentials and insure you my input is both relative and of value. It has nothing to do with your racism claim and innuendos. Those, in my view are unfounded unless, of course, you have some data to support the contention. I doubt you do outside of your "analysis" of my comments.

If not, I suggest you stop suggesting I am immature and have a fools understanding and appreciation of our domestic and global society. I live in the South. Many of my contacts have called me boy, cause that's in the custom here, but none have been foolish enough to question my character. Why you do escapes me.
Rollers
Hall of Famer

12-25-2018, 12:23 PM

(12-25-2018, 12:10 PM)sandfan Wrote: I ran a global business for the last 14 years of my career.  Before that I worked in a less than executive capacity for another 10 but was still involved globally.  Before that I was domestically restricted.  I speak 3 languages and have friends and business contacts on every continent save Africa and Australia.  I spent years doing business in the USSR and am pretty confident I have some grasp of how some of the rest of the world feels and thinks.  I don't rely on CNN to tell me what's right or wrong with the planet and how the occupants think and feel.  I can get that daily if I choose to do so via the internet or phone.  

I'm 73 and retired as a global vp of a multi national firm.  My division was just under one billion dollars in revenue.  I don't live in my parent's basement.  I've been there and done my thing and what I shared comes from the world of realty and not fake news.  There's little doubt those that govern in the old USSR and the rest of the world would like to see the status quo hold true.  That's the basis of their power and wealth.  That's true in America as well and the reason Trump, and those like and who support him, are such a threat.

But I assure you, from my experience over several decades with the people who are "oppressed" by these so called elites, that their hearts are not with the oppressors.  I'm of Russian heritage and an pretty confident the average Joe on the street thinks pretty much like we do here.  I've been there more than 30 times and I've not been moved from that position.

I'm more than willing to certify my credentials and welcome input as well as a constructive critique from those who have a history and education to add to our discussion.  However, it is offensive to call me a racist because I think Tomlin has under performed and the Rooney's may have allowed liberal thinking to enter into their hiring process.  Dan had his view and I had mine.  There's nothing racist in the deal. I just believe in talent and performance and discount ancillary issues.  

I've had quite a number of minorites in my organization.  Globally.  Every one of them was a contributor.  Not all passed through the PC crap the HR departments tried to force upon me.  In fact most did not measure up to what I and my team expected.  That's why they did not fit in.  My job was to insure my people had a better life and the shareholders were happy.  The color of one's skin or religion made no difference in that equation.

I'm not a tough guy but I did grow up in McKees Rocks and never ran away from a fight or a competition.  I'm too old to push that envelope today but I hope I've passed those attributes on son to my son.

I have no idea of your history or contacts globally.  I am pretty secure re mine.  If you are just a CNN and liberal news kind of guy please step up and admit it.  If, however, you have true global experience I'd like to understand the basis of your position.  I'm please to certify my legitimacy with my resume.  I'm not trying to be obnoxious or overly aggressive.  I'm just offering to establish my credentials and insure you my input is both relative and of value.  It has nothing to do with your racism claim and innuendos.  Those, in my view are unfounded unless, of course, you have some data to support the contention.  I  doubt you do outside of your "analysis" of my comments.

If not, I suggest you stop suggesting I am immature and have a fools understanding and appreciation of our domestic and global society.  I live in the South.  Many of my contacts have called me boy, cause that's in the custom here, but none have been foolish enough to question my character.  Why you do escapes me.
sandfan   please stop responding to this loon.  I made the mistake of responding.  Let's pretend he doesn't exist ok?
Thanks
sandfan
Hall of Famer

12-25-2018, 12:40 PM

OK. If that's the consensus I'm on board but I am always interested in righting a wrong or helping others appreciate reality. I believe it's valuable to share experiences so others can have a broader view of the world.
(This post was last modified: 12-25-2018, 12:42 PM by sandfan.)
Crash
Hall of Famer

12-25-2018, 05:17 PM

Quote:I'm not a tough guy but I did grow up in McKees Rocks and never ran away from a fight or a competition.

I'll be damned, so did I. 

Not sure when you were there but Pasquarelli's is closing.  Bruno and Anna are retiring.
(This post was last modified: 12-28-2018, 06:51 PM by Crash.)