Harrison blames Tomlin - is he racist???
Chucktownsteeler
Hall of Famer

12-29-2018, 09:01 AM

Unless they win on Sunday against the Cincinnati Bengals and get some help from the Cleveland Brownsthe Pittsburgh Steelers will fail to make the playoffs in 2018 and it will mark the first time since 2013 that such an event has happened. With the Steelers now on the verge of failing to make the playoffs this season, former outside linebacker James Harrison made it clear during a Thursday interview on The Undisputed that head coach Mike Tomlin should receive all the blame for the team’s disappointing 2018 campaign.

“I would have to give that to Mike Tomlin and the reason I give it to him because he’s the head coach,” Harrison said when asked who is the most to blame for the Steelers disappointing 2018 season. “He has to go out there and get this team ready. You’ve had instances where the defense plays well, you’ve had an instances where the offense plays well and you know that they’re capable of doing that.

“If you look at the defense that he’s actually built, I think he has six or seven first-rounders, he has a couple of second-rounders through either draft or trade, so he’s put together a defense that should be capable of going out there and stopping offenses. And I think at the end of it the Achilles heel has been the defense not able to come through in the end. So, I have to put that on Mike Tomlin even though he has won a significant amount of games, he’s won a Super Bowl.”

After placing the blame on Tomlin for the Steelers disappointing 2018 season, Harrison then proceeded to take another shot at his former head coach and the one Super Bowl championship he’s won.

“The Super Bowl that he did win was basically a Bill Cowher-based team,” Harrison said. “The team that actually went in 2010 [to the Super Bowl] was still a majority of Cowher [players] and since then I think he’s reached the AFC championship game one time and over the course of the last two years he’s lost the first game to Jacksonville where the defense gave up 40, 50 something points.”

Harrison’s Thursday comments sure makes him sound like he’s still bitter at the way he was handled last season. Because of that, show co-host Skip Bayless asked Harrison if he is indeed still bitter at Tomlin and the Steelers for the way they dealt with him and his ultimate departure from the team late last season.

“No, I asked for a release like I said early in the year and they didn’t give that to me,” Harrison said. “If they had gave me my release early in the year, I probably never would have been in New England.”

Harrison went on to say that while he doesn’t think that Tomlin will lose his job at the end of this season, he can see him being on the hot seat in 2019.

“I dont see the Steelers firing him,” Harrison said. “That’s just not what that organization does. I think worse-case scenario, he’ll be playing his last year on his contract next year and if things don’t pan out the way that they want them to pan out, they’ll let him go.”

Read more: https://steelersdepot.com/2018/12/harris...mpionship/

Next - Minkah, #39!
  [Image: chucktown_sig_pic.jpg]
(This post was last modified: 12-29-2018, 09:02 AM by Chucktownsteeler.)
Chucktownsteeler
Hall of Famer

12-29-2018, 09:03 AM

I love this part:

“The Super Bowl that he did win was basically a Bill Cowher-based team,” Harrison said. “The team that actually went in 2010 [to the Super Bowl] was still a majority of Cowher [players] and since then I think he’s reached the AFC championship game one time and over the course of the last two years he’s lost the first game to Jacksonville where the defense gave up 40, 50 something points.”

Next - Minkah, #39!
  [Image: chucktown_sig_pic.jpg]
Garrett Garlits
All Pro Veteran

12-29-2018, 09:56 AM

Mike Tomlin was the head coach of the 2008 Super Bowl champion Pittsburgh Steelers. True or false?

If the answer is true (and we know it is), then it goes on his record, not Bill Cowher's or anyone else's. It doesn't matter if Bill Cowher, Chuck Noll, or Jesus H. Christ was the coach when the players on that team joined the Steelers. He was standing on the sidelines that night in Tampa, so he gets one hundred percent of the credit for winning that championship. End of story.

As for Harrison, you're damn right he's bitter over how he was treated, and maybe he deserves to be if the organization told him he'd be playing a lot more than he ended up playing last year, which apparently they did. I didn't hold going to New England against him, and in fact I was thrilled that he got to play in another Super Bowl. But he needs to stop taking direct shots at Tomlin, whether he believes they're based in truth or not. It's just not a good look for someone who left the Steelers the way he did,
(This post was last modified: 12-29-2018, 10:13 AM by Garrett Garlits.)
Crash
Hall of Famer

12-29-2018, 10:42 AM

He's ungrateful.

Cowher cut him twice. Clark Haggans could sack groceries and Cowher thought he was better than Harrison.

TOMLIN was the one who cut Porter and made Harrison a starter.
mcmillenandwife
Administrator

12-29-2018, 10:56 PM

(12-29-2018, 10:42 AM)Crash Wrote: He's ungrateful.  

Cowher cut him twice.  Clark Haggans could sack groceries and Cowher thought he was better than Harrison.  

Truth.
Krunch
Hall of Famer

12-31-2018, 02:11 AM

One of my favorite Silverback Moments is when he marched his boys back to school to return their, "Participation Trophies", something he adamantly is opposed to.  Same here.  Hence my continued aggravation at Tomlin's Teams piling them up at the end of every season.  W-L records do not make a Champion.  James was right on in his comments. He was always in it to win it.

"Just give me a six-pack and 30 minutes to rest and lets go out and play 'em again!"  
  - Jack Lambert
(This post was last modified: 12-31-2018, 02:12 AM by Krunch.)
bbbooger
Hall of Famer

12-31-2018, 03:31 AM

(12-29-2018, 10:42 AM)Crash Wrote: ...

While that happened on Tomlin's watch its untrue to characterize as such.  Tomlin did not intend to replace Porter with Harrison.  Tomlin drafted Lawrence Timmons (round 1) to fill the spot vacated when he jettisoned Porter.  It was only after Harrison emerged that Tomlin made the statement: "...Timmons future is at inside linebackcker..."
Garrett Garlits
All Pro Veteran

12-31-2018, 06:24 AM

Harrison was an idiot and a bully for doing that to his kids, and he was lucky they weren't old enough or big enough to stand up to him. I used to feel like most of you, but I matured out of it and gained some perspective, thank heaven. Youth sports ae ABOUT participation, not just winning. That was more about big, bad James Harrison making a show of what a freakin' tough guy he supposedly was. Where the hell was his wife or girlfriend to tell him to take his macho act and stick it up his ass?
mcmillenandwife
Administrator

12-31-2018, 07:55 AM

(12-31-2018, 06:24 AM)Garrett Garlits Wrote: Harrison was an idiot and a bully for doing that to his kids, and he was lucky they weren't old enough or big enough to stand up to him. I used to feel like most of you, but I matured out of it and gained some perspective, thank heaven. Youth sports ae ABOUT participation, not just winning. That was more about big, bad James Harrison making a show of what a freakin' tough guy he supposedly was. Where the hell was his wife or girlfriend to tell him to take his macho act and stick it up his ass?

Eyes
Rollers
Hall of Famer

12-31-2018, 10:45 AM

(12-31-2018, 06:24 AM)Garrett Garlits Wrote: Harrison was an idiot and a bully for doing that to his kids, and he was lucky they weren't old enough or big enough to stand up to him. I used to feel like most of you, but I matured out of it and gained some perspective, thank heaven. Youth sports ae ABOUT participation, not just winning. That was more about big, bad James Harrison making a show of what a freakin' tough guy he supposedly was. Where the hell was his wife or girlfriend to tell him to take his macho act and stick it up his ass?

yeah none of us are mature.  you're the only one that made it
Krunch
Hall of Famer

12-31-2018, 02:44 PM

I want to be mature one day. My 21 years in the military, my last 20+ years of working various jobs in several different industries including Director Level Positions, raising two successful kids and now hanging out and hopefully, positively mentoring my grand kids has done nothing to mature me. I guess I'm just a tired old participant in this game of life.

"Just give me a six-pack and 30 minutes to rest and lets go out and play 'em again!"  
  - Jack Lambert