Enough Is Enough: Tomlin Must Go
mcmillenandwife
Administrator

12-31-2018, 11:22 AM

Enough Is Enough: Tomlin Must Go

Thank you for all you've done, Coach Tomlin. We will always be grateful for the 6th Lombardi Trophy you brought to Pittsburgh in Super Bowl XLIII. 

Unfortunately, it has been 10 years since the Steelers have won a Championship, despite fielding teams loadedwith talent. There have been too many seasons under your leadership where the team has underachieved while repeatedly "playing down" to the competition, frequently losing to teams we should beat and looking woefully unprepared while doing so. Meanwhile, the clock is ticking on our Hall of Fame QB. It is no longer "enough" to simply make the playoffs... and it is simply unforgivable to flat-out miss the playoffs as you did this year. 

It's also painfully clear that the inmates have been running the asylum for some time now. You know it has reached the tipping point when your own players are characterizing the locker room environment as "The Kardashians" due to all the drama. 

It's time for new leadership. I'm not naive enough to believe Coach Tomlin is going anywhere anytime soon. But sadly, it is my belief that until the Steelers have the courage to replace Tomlin, this team -- despite a Hall of Fame QB and despite all that surrounding talent -- is not going to sniff a 7th Lombardi.
Rollers
Hall of Famer

12-31-2018, 11:35 AM

La Canfora is reporting Tomlin's job is safe and he'll be here for years to come. Make of that what you will. He did help with snare a Lombardi and took us to another to get beaten but this team has made horrendous picks on D. Evander Hood, remember him? 1st round Jarvis Jones nuff said round 1 Artie Burns - round 1 Bud Dupree - round 1 and of course the steal of the 1st round last year Terrell Edmunds. A list of stellar picks. And we had a winning season this year.
bbbooger
Starting Lineup

12-31-2018, 11:56 AM

It pains me greatly to see what this teams has become under his leadership. 6 pro bowlers and a couple more on the brink and they're reduced to depending on the Browns to pull an upset in B'more just to have a shot at another one-and-done playoff appearance.
Rollers
Hall of Famer

12-31-2018, 12:30 PM

tomlin on game
1. We controlled what we could control
2. Pleased with the effort of the men
3. We stand by our work - we had 17 weeks to make a statement
4. Our record tells us what we are

Yeah he can put more than one syllable together.
Garrett Garlits
All Pro Veteran

12-31-2018, 12:39 PM

If the Steelers had finished 6-9-1 Tomlin's seat would be a lot hotter. But nine-win coaches simply don't get fired by organizations that pride themselves on stability as much as winning. The Rooneys want to be successful, but they want to be successful following principles that may mean accepting less than the all-out, bare-knuckles, balls-to-the-wall pursuit of a Super Bowl every year. Being a solid citizen counts, as does speaking well in public. Tomlin excels in both of those areas. He also will follow league rules to the letter, unlike Bill Belichick.

These three factors make seasons like this and a few of his other underachievements easier to swallow for an ownership group that's dedicated to the success of the overall league, even if it might hurt their own team occasionally. In other words, better to miss the playoffs or underperform in them on occasion and represent the NFL well than do everything possible to win by hook or by crook and embarrass the league even as you succeed, like the Pats have in the past. That may be counter to the thinking of those of us who are primarily or only Steeler fans, but the Rooney family is proud of how they operate; they it's brought them a ton of regular-season success and more Super Bowls than any other organization, and they're not about to change just to satisfy a relative minority of people who use social media to vent.
Crash
Hall of Famer

12-31-2018, 01:26 PM

If Tomlin is running the defense he needs to go.

If Butler is running the defense he needs to go.

If things stay the same, I hope Ben retires or plays for a team that wants to win.

Because keeping the status quo tells me they don't want to win.
RaynorShyne
All Pro Veteran

12-31-2018, 02:33 PM

I've not been on much in the last 10 days. I'm dumbfounded. "How a team with so much talent..." - if I never hear those words again it'll be too soon.

Forgive JuJu for the fumble? Sorry - no. He makes a boatload of cash to NOT fumble.

Forgive Ben for quite often forgetting what color his team wears and tossing friggin beachballs around? No. A "Hall of Famer" doesn't DO THAT as often as he does.

The LeVeon Bell.....mess. Everyone there is to fault.

The buck stops at leadership. The Jet's tossed their head-coach after ONE SEASON because they didn't improve. WE TIED THE BROWNS AND LOST TO THE RAIDERS. Fire Tomlin. Fire Butler. Let Ben retire.

It's rebuild time. We got a good young RB in Connor - got one good young receiver in JuJu. Got an offensive line that can keep a first round QB upright. Spend every other single pick on the best defender available.

We pick before the Colts. We pick before Houston. #20 over all
RaynorShyne
All Pro Veteran

12-31-2018, 02:43 PM

Tomlin is also on the NFL Competition Committee that allows the fucking VIDEOGAME bullshit that's on the field each Sunday.

In the history of the league, only 7 QB's have ever thrown for 5,000 yards.  Two were this season.  If Matt Ryan completed another pass or two, we would have had three.    13 Quarterbacks threw for more than 4000 yards.  TWENTY receivers went over 1,000 yards.  There were EIGHT 1,000 yard rushers.

Eight receivers, two Tight Ends, and a running back went over 100 receptions.  

N-I-N-E-T-Y T-W-O different receivers had a reception of more than 50 yards

Patrick Mahomes threw for 5,000 yards and 50 touchdowns.  

Yawn.  

Ben threw for 5,000 and missed the playoffs.  You don't hear that his average per pass today was just over 6 yards.  Steelers threw it 45 times, ran it 20, though Connor was averaging 4.6 per run.
(This post was last modified: 12-31-2018, 03:18 PM by RaynorShyne.)
Krunch
Hall of Famer

12-31-2018, 03:08 PM

Tomlin lacks the most vital leadership skills.  He has consistently put off making critical personnel decisions.  IMO, he carried Arians one, maybe two seasons too long.  Same with Dick Labeau. A leader recognizes sub-par performance and addresses it.  He doesn't need the Team President to do it or force them to do it.  He carries marginally skilled players for way too long without making needed change.  Several times, Dan Rooney has made public statements about needed changes - like the need to develop a running game and get young players into the rotation sooner, not waste them for several seasons riding the pines.  Drafting - Meh.  Player Development - Abysmal.  Preparing the team for critical games - ha! ha!.  Fielding motivated, sharp, well-practiced teams for most games - suspect at  best.  Game Time Adjustments - Horrid in many cases.  I could go on forever.  His teams have been digressing for the last several seasons - not what brings home Lombardi's.  But, hey, he's a, "Player's Coach."  NFL-Wide Polls show most players around the league would want to play for him.  So would I!  Loose discipline, fun celebrations for doing marginally well, get behind in games and even lose and laugh it off, collect your check and get to take off January and February while those other poor slobs have to keep playing for their mean coaches.  The days of the Lunch Pail Work Ethic and pride in your city and organization have given way to Loosey-Goosey Individuals where collecting Instagram Followers is the center of your universe.....because your Coach allows that to happen  This year proves one of Tomlin's Greatest Manta's.  The Standard Is The Standard.  His Standard at least.  Pi_supermad

"Just give me a six-pack and 30 minutes to rest and lets go out and play 'em again!"  
  - Jack Lambert
Crash
Hall of Famer

12-31-2018, 03:15 PM

Conner had a high ankle sprain and missed a month, he was clearly slowed today.

The Steelers had 13 passes, and 9 runs, after 27 minutes of the first half. Pretty good balance, a pretty conservative 1st half game plan.

They also had zero points.

Samuels and Conner also caught a combined 10 passes, and combined for 23 touches. They have WR's go deep and him them in the flat or lined up wide, that's their answer for an outside running game because neither has the flat out speed to turn the corner.
Crash
Hall of Famer

12-31-2018, 03:21 PM

There was nothing wrong with the running game under Arians. The running game became LeNeau's first scapegoat after the 2009 season.

It was ART ROONEY II, not Dan, who decided to blame the offense rather than Dick LeBeau and hired his drunken buddy Todd Haley to run the offense.

That worked out well. The Browns figured out in 8 weeks what Art II wouldn't admit for 5 years, that Todd Haley is bad for business.

And they still haven't recovered.
mcmillenandwife
Administrator

12-31-2018, 03:44 PM

(12-31-2018, 12:39 PM)Garrett Garlits Wrote: But nine-win coaches simply don't get fired by organizations that pride themselves on stability as much as winning. 

Stability for stability's sake is stupid. The goal is to win Super Bowls and stability only makes sense if it serves that end. 

Tony Dungy was fired after winning 9 games with Tampa Bay in '01. The result? The Bucs finally won the Super Bowl the following year under Gruden. Dungy's "not quite championship caliber" leadership was admirable and he's a wonderful human being. But I guarantee you, the Bucs wouldn't undo that change if given the chance. It was the exact right move and it got them to the promised land. 

(12-31-2018, 12:39 PM)Garrett Garlits Wrote: Being a solid citizen counts, as does speaking well in public. Tomlin excels in both of those areas. 

Speaking well in public? WTF are you talking about? Chuck Noll was the equivalent of Bill Belichick when it came speaking to the media. He was the Emperor before the hoodie.

And did I miss the part where Bill Cowher was particularly smooth and articulate in public? Passionate, yes. But Cowher sounds pretty much like every other person I've ever heard from Pittsburgh. 

I fail to see the importance of "speaking well in public." It seems like the standard (which is, of course, the standard) should be winning postseason games and Super Bowls rather than smoothly explaining why you failed (again). 

(12-31-2018, 12:39 PM)Garrett Garlits Wrote: In other words, better to miss the playoffs or underperform in them on occasion and represent the NFL well than do everything possible to win by hook or by crook and embarrass the league even as you succeed, like the Pats have in the past. 

Oh... so you mean Tomlin would be able to keep his star players in line so they wouldn't embarrass the league by getting suspended due to sexual assault allegations (Ben)? Or getting suspended for substance abuse (Santonio Holmes, Le'veon Bell, Martavis Bryant)? Or being charged with domestic abuse (James Harrison)? Or sending Facebook Live video of said coach calling the Patriots "assholes" while addressing the team in the locker room following a playoff game (AB) only to lose to said group of assholes by 3 scores the following week? 

Tomlin's tenure has hardly been without scandal and the Steelers themselves are not as pure as the wind-driven snow, so please... let's keep it real. 

(12-31-2018, 12:39 PM)Garrett Garlits Wrote: It's brought them a ton of regular-season success and more Super Bowls than any other organization, and they're not about to change just to satisfy a relative minority of people who use social media to vent.

Well... Tomlin has brought them 1 Super Bowl win in 12 seasons. During Tomlin's tenure, here are the coaches who have won Super Bowls:

Tom Coughlin won 2
Mike McCarthy won 1 (over Tomlin)
Sean Payton won 1
John Harbaugh won 1
Pete Carroll won 1
Bill Belichick won 2
Gary Kubiak won 1
Doug Pederson won 1.

All of the active winning coaches (in bold) are in the playoffs this year. Guess who isn't in the playoffs this year, despite a team LOADED with talent?

Just sayin'.
RaynorShyne
All Pro Veteran

12-31-2018, 03:44 PM

(12-31-2018, 03:21 PM)Crash Wrote: There was nothing wrong with the running game under Arians. The running game became LeNeau's first scapegoat after the 2009 season.  

It was ART ROONEY II, not Dan, who decided to blame the offense rather than Dick LeBeau and hired his drunken buddy Todd Haley to run the offense.  

That worked out well.  The Browns figured out in 8 weeks what Art II wouldn't admit for 5 years, that Todd Haley is bad for business.

And they still haven't recovered.

Art Looney 2 ain't no "Chief"
Garrett Garlits
All Pro Veteran

12-31-2018, 06:18 PM

Tim,

Tampa's won one Super Bowl and been a joke ever since. It's not about one year, it's about the long-term health of the franchise. Even with this year's misstep, the Steelers are still one of the top franchises in sports, not just in football. And before you pooh-pooh regular season wins too much, to win in the postseason you have to get there first. Only regular season wins get you there. And by the way, Gruden did it with Dungy's players just like Tomlin supposedly did it with Cowher's players. If you're going to apply a standard, be consistent about it.

Noll and Cowher may not have won elocution awards, but they were effective speakers in public,. So is Tomlin; he's just a little more flowery, which most of you can't grasp for some reason. And he's never, ever going to flat-out say, "I stink as a coach", no matter how much you may want him to. He's always going to use the editorial "we" because his failure is the organization's failure, and vice versa. You've seen enough sports to know that.

Finally, when I mentioned Belichick embarrassing the league, I was referring to Roger Goodell and the commissioner's office specifically. All the substance abuse and domestic violence problems the Steelers have had over the years weren't direct personal attacks on Goodell, the owners, and the integrity of the game itself. Belichick and Kraft seem to specialize in those with Spygate and Deflategate. That's not to say that the Steelers have been choir boys, but they haven't threatened to overthrow the commissioner or sue the league either, which I'm sure Goodell takes more personally, if not more seriously.

Bottom line: You've got yourselves expecting Tomlin to be fired later this morning, and you want it so badly that you'll be outraged when it doesn't happen or even come close. I hate to see what will happen on this board when he gets his next extension, and you can bet he will unless he actually has a losing season or two in the interim.
(This post was last modified: 12-31-2018, 06:28 PM by Garrett Garlits.)
mcmillenandwife
Administrator

12-31-2018, 07:02 PM

(12-31-2018, 06:18 PM)Garrett Garlits Wrote: Tampa's won one Super Bowl and been a joke ever since. It's not about one year, it's about the long-term health of the  franchise.

You are missing the POINT. The right coach at the right time = Super Bowl victory.

The Steelers organization is stable, regardless of who the head coach is. A new coach would not destabilize the Steelers; they would refocus the players on WINNING. Tomlin did it when he first came to the Steelers. Kubiak did it with the Broncos. Pederson did it with the Eagles. The Steelers don't need extensive rebuilding; they already have incredible talent. They are missing a piece or two on defense... but what they need most of all is the FOCUSED LEADERSHIP at head coach required to win it all. 

Tomlin's shtick has become old and tired and worn out. Same crap every week. The players are buying it anymore. It happens to pretty much ALL coaches eventually, but I think it happens to "players coaches" a little faster. Tomlin has lost his edge and no longer has this team's full attention. That's the kiss of death. You can't win it ALL without that edge. 

(12-31-2018, 06:18 PM)Garrett Garlits Wrote: And by the way, Gruden did it with Dungy's players just like Tomlin supposedly did it with Cowher's players. If you're going to apply a standard, be consistent about it.

NOW perhaps you're getting my point? Yes, Gruden DID do it with Dungy's players. Because Dungy couldn't get it done and it took GRUDEN to do it. Tomlin DID do it with Cowher's players... because Cowher was worn out and it took TOMLIN to refocus the team.

Whoever comes in after Tomlin would do it with TOMLIN'S players. WTF do I care who's players they are as long as they're Steelers and they're winning? And I firmly believe we WOULD win with new leadership at head coach. 

IMO, winning with their predecessor's teams takes nothing away from what Tomlin and/or Gruden accomplished in winning those championships. THEY were the men that got it done; the right coaches at the right time.

(12-31-2018, 06:18 PM)Garrett Garlits Wrote: Noll and Cowher may not have won elocution awards, but they were effective speakers in public,. So is Tomlin; he's just a little more flowery, which most of you can't grasp for some reason. And he's never, ever going to flat-out say, "I stink as a coach", no matter how much you may want him to. He's always going to use the editorial "we" because his failure is the organization's failure, and vice versa. You've seen enough sports to know that.

Garrett, I don't get your fixation on what Tomlin says and how he says it. I don't really give a shit what he says; I give a shit about what the team DOES under his leadership.

P.S. -- I don't think Tomlin will be fired. I think he DESERVES to be fired and I think it would be in the best interest of the team to hire a new head coach, but I don't expect those things to happen right now. 

Had we lost to Cinci while Cleveland won? Perhaps. But he did just enough to keep his job for now. The bare minimum.

My frustration is that the "bare minimum" will never be enough for a 7th Lombardi. I'm extremely worried about squandering the last year or two we have with this magnificent Hall of Fame QB and then wandering in the desert for 21 years like we did after Bradshaw retired.
sandfan
Hall of Famer

12-31-2018, 11:12 PM

Got this data from a publication.

The Packers fired McCarthy. He WON the super bowl in 2010 and has 5 playoff wins over the last 8 years.

Tomlin still is the coach in Pittsburgh. He LOST the super bowl in 2010 to McCarthy and has 3 playoff wins in the last 8 years.

My view is both are storied franchises with HOF caliber quarterbacks.

If the Pack can dump McCarthy why should Tomlin be safe? I have submitted for some time Tomlin has under performed and should go. All it takes is ownership to admit a change is needed if their team is to do better than never having a losing season and collecting participation trophies.
Rollers
Hall of Famer

12-31-2018, 11:34 PM

Tim I admire your patience
mcmillenandwife
Administrator

01-01-2019, 12:10 AM

(12-31-2018, 11:12 PM)sandfan Wrote: The Packers fired McCarthy.  He WON the super bowl in 2010 and has 5 playoff wins over the last 8 years.

Tomlin still is the coach in Pittsburgh.  He LOST the super bowl in 2010 to McCarthy and has 3 playoff wins in the last 8 years.  

My view is both are storied franchises with HOF caliber quarterbacks.  

If the Pack can dump McCarthy why should Tomlin be safe?  I have submitted for some time Tomlin has under performed and should go.  All it takes is ownership to admit a change is needed if their team is to do better than never having a losing season and collecting participation trophies.

Exactly. McCarthy won, he got stale, he's gone. Coughlin won twice, he got stale, he's gone. 

Good call, sandfan, because McCarthy really is the perfect comparison... very much "apples to apples." The difference is, Ben isn't undermining Tomlin behind the scenes the way Aaron Rogers was cutting McCarthy off at the knees behind closed doors. 

Perhaps it's loyalty for Tomlin sticking by Ben during the nonsense he went through (which I still believe was a selective Roger Goodell witch hunt)? Perhaps Ben just doesn't want to have to "break in" a new guy at this stage in his career? Or maybe a combination of the two? Whatever the case, Ben seems to have Tomlin's back. He's definitely not actively lobbying against him. That makes a huge difference.
RaynorShyne
All Pro Veteran

01-01-2019, 01:27 AM

A solid, focused coach (as much as I despise him, Bill Belichick has his players focused) can do wonders with talent.

Not only is Tomlin not the right guy - the organization suffers from supporting him. The players are undisciplined. Do they need to be "good people"? Preferred - but no. Do they need to act, speak, and behave like a team? Yes.

The prevailing Steelers attitude is "me". "Imma-Need-17" is the figurehead of this movement - and he's still a Steeler. If you think he's the only one - you're dead wrong.

This is a playoff's player:

Ravens' Eric Weddle to share $1M bonus with team
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000001...-with-team

"I would trade one million bucks for a chance at the playoffs any second," Weddle said
Garrett Garlits
All Pro Veteran

01-01-2019, 02:04 AM

They aren't going to think, act, and speak as a team unless they're good people (note the lack of quotes) first. They'd just be greedy mercenaries looking for what they can get, which is exactly what you're accusing them of being now. Solid citizens, then playing ability in that order (assuming they have the basic tools to play in the league in the first place).

And wasn't it just last year at this time that Brady, Belichick, and Kraft were all infighting because Good Ol' TB12 whined to Kraft that Belichick dared to have his successor on the roster (Jimmy Garoppolo) and his ego couldn't handle it, which led to Jimmy G being traded to the Niners ? To their credit, the Pats seem to have pieced it back together for this year, but they're by no means immune to "me first" behavior at the highest levels.

Tim's point about how different head coaches change the message up and inspire their teams is a good one, but he picked a bad example in Denver. They've had six head coaches in the last ten years now that Vance Joseph is out, and people are starting to wonder just how good of a GM John Elway really is. The jury's out on Pederson; the Eagles barely squeaked into the playoffs this year, and for much of the year they had the same malaise that gripped the Steelers. We'll see f they can go on another run without Carson Wentz or if they just took advantage of an unfocused, distracted New England team (Malcolm Butler, anyone?) in last year's Super Bowl.

As for how Tomlin speaks, so many people want him to stand out there at his press conferences and take the blame for everything; when he doesn't, they accuse hi of trying to bullshit them. Well, he is up to a point. He'll never take all the failure of this team on himself; no coach will. But his bullshit is a hell of a lot more intelligent-sounding than that of most coaches, and that makes some of his problems easier to stomach, at least for me. Even if he coaches like a braindead jock at times (which I don't think he does), at least he doesn't make things worse by sounding like one too.
(This post was last modified: 01-01-2019, 02:05 AM by Garrett Garlits.)
RaynorShyne
All Pro Veteran

01-01-2019, 02:24 AM

(01-01-2019, 02:04 AM)Garrett Garlits Wrote: They aren't going to think, act, and speak as a team unless they're good people (note the lack of quotes) first. They'd just be greedy mercenaries looking for what they can get, which is exactly what you're accusing them of being now. Solid citizens, then playing ability in that order (assuming they have the basic tools to play in the league in the first place).

And wasn't it just last year at this time that Brady, Belichick, and Kraft were all infighting because Good Ol' TB12 whined to Kraft that Belichick dared to have his successor on the roster (Jimmy Garoppolo) and his ego couldn't handle it, which led to Jimmy G being traded to the Niners ? To their credit, the Pats seem to have pieced it back together for this year, but they're by no means immune to "me first" behavior at the highest levels.

Tim's point about how different head coaches change the message up and inspire their teams is a good one, but he picked a bad example in Denver. They've had six head coaches in the last ten years now that Vance Joseph is out, and people are starting to wonder just how good of a GM John Elway really is. The jury's out on Pederson; the Eagles barely squeaked into the playoffs this year, and for much of the year they had the same malaise that gripped the Steelers. We'll see f they can go on another run without Carson Wentz or if they just took advantage of an unfocused, distracted New England team (Malcolm Butler, anyone?) in last year's Super Bowl.

As for how Tomlin speaks, so many people want him to stand out there at his press conferences and take the blame for everything; when he doesn't, they accuse hi of trying to bullshit them. Well, he is up to a point. He'll never take all the failure of this team on himself; no coach will. But his bullshit is a hell of a lot more intelligent-sounding than that of most coaches, and that makes some of his problems easier to stomach, at least for me. Even if he coaches like a braindead jock at times (which I don't think he does), at least he doesn't make things worse by sounding like one too.

"greedy mercenaries looking for what they can get" (notice the quotes" is exactly what I'm accusing the vast majority of them being.  Many of them are ignorant early 20-somethings that have way too damn much ego and money.  The vast majority believe they're something they're not.  What they are is dressed up, marionette entertainers.  Receivers run routes, block, and catch balls.  Running backs carry the ball, ideally for positive yardage, and pass protect.  Other roles have similar responsibilities.   It is not the NFL receiver's job to self promote, practice end-zone dances, "bling" the shit out of his shoes, nor promote their 'legendary status'.  

Those are called distractions.  Coaches limit these.  If they don't, the team gets dismissed for the year on December 31st because the season is over.

I'm a consumer.  I want a particular product (The Pittsburgh Steelers) when I want it (During football season).   In return for my consumption of the product, I compensate both the NFL and the team monetarily and with my viewing time (which makes them advertising dollars).

The product this year sucked.

I expect a better product next year.
sandfan
Hall of Famer

01-01-2019, 02:32 AM

Sound bites are not relevant. Coach speak is not what makes a great coach or franchise. It's all about the W's in my view. Never having a losing season is hardly what a lot of, if not most, Steeler fans think is acceptable.

Comparing the Pats v Steelers situation is not apples to apples. Belicheck is anything but an entertaining speaker. He's not a cliche machine, that's for sure. The Pats may or may not have internal issues. The important fact is they continue to win titles. The Steelers, with Tomlin as head coach and quote machine, not so much.

Both teams have HOF quarterbacks, competitive on field talent and consistent ownership. One major difference seems to be the quality of coaching. It's not that Tomlin is incompetent. He just under performs as do his teams except for a couple of years.

My Christmas wish is the Rooney's would trade Tomlin. It's been done before. If he's so talented several teams around the league should be interested. Tampa might headline that list but they might not be the only option. They have done it for Gruden. 2 firsts, 2 seconds and a boat load of cash. I'd dump Tomlin for a lot less.
RaynorShyne
All Pro Veteran

01-01-2019, 02:40 AM

(01-01-2019, 02:32 AM)sandfan Wrote: Sound bites are not relevant.  Coach speak is not what makes a great coach or franchise.  It's all about the W's in my view.  Never having a losing season is hardly what a lot of, if not most, Steeler fans think is acceptable.

Comparing the Pats v Steelers situation is not apples to apples.  Belicheck is anything but an entertaining speaker.  He's not a cliche machine, that's for sure.  The Pats may or may not have internal issues.  The important fact is they continue to win titles.  The Steelers, with Tomlin as head coach and quote machine, not so much.

Both teams have HOF quarterbacks, competitive on field talent and consistent ownership.  One major difference seems to be the quality of coaching.  It's not that Tomlin is incompetent.  He just under performs as do his teams except for a couple of years.

My Christmas wish is the Rooney's would trade Tomlin.  It's been done before.  If he's so talented several teams around the league should be interested.  Tampa might headline that list but they might not be the only option.  They have done it for Gruden.  2 firsts, 2 seconds and a boat load of cash.  I'd dump Tomlin for a lot less.

This sound bite was relevant: in many many ways:

Bud Dupree, when asked if he was watching Colts-Titans hoping for a tie:

“Yeah, [f***] that. We messed ourself up this year."
Garrett Garlits
All Pro Veteran

01-01-2019, 02:58 AM

Raynor,

Dressed up marionettes? I'll bet you never felt that way about Bradshaw, Swann, and Lambert. That type of thinking is why I'd NEVER listen to the fans if I was an owner. What they'd want, I'd do the opposite just to show them who the hell provided their "product". I've heard of people getting overly emotional about sports teams, but you're way too far the other way to be healthy.
Rollers
Hall of Famer

01-01-2019, 03:05 AM

(01-01-2019, 02:58 AM)Garrett Garlits Wrote: Raynor,

Dressed up marionettes? I'll bet you never felt that way about Bradshaw, Swann, and Lambert. That type of thinking is why I'd NEVER listen to the fans if I was an owner. What they'd want, I'd do the opposite just to show them who the hell provided their "product". I've heard of people getting overly emotional about sports teams, but you're way too far the other way to be healthy.

Very mature.  Do the exact opposite to simply make a point.  You are beyond tiresome
Rollers
Hall of Famer

01-01-2019, 03:07 AM

Munchak getting requests for interviews. Great. Probably the best coach on the team is probably going to be gone. Losing him means losing a lot of coaching ability on the offense. Not a good result for this team.
Garrett Garlits
All Pro Veteran

01-01-2019, 03:44 AM

Rollers,

You don't mean to say that if you owned the Steelers you'd actually listen for one second to a yahoo who compared your employees to wooden dolls? I've heard a lot of crap this season about the Steelers, including thinly veiled and overt racism directed against Tomlin, but that line of bilge absolutely takes the cake. Do us all a favor, Raynor; find another "product" to "consume" quick, fast, and in a hurry.

Sandfan actually said something interesting about a possible Tomlin trade, but that's another thing the Rooneys simply don't believe in. I think it's been outlawed by the NFL since the Gruden trade he mentioned, in any case.
RaynorShyne
All Pro Veteran

01-01-2019, 03:52 AM

(01-01-2019, 02:58 AM)Garrett Garlits Wrote: Raynor,

A marionette is "a puppet worked from above by strings attached to its limbs."   AKA, players who run specific plays, in specific patterns run of an offensive coordinator.  "Dressed up" is referring to uniforms.  It's a metaphor for players from the 1990's onward who are but bit players of an offensive 'scheme'.   Would I refer to the 1970's Steelers that way?  No.  But then again Chuck Knoll didn't constantly hid his face behind a 3' x 5' laminated, colored play sheet while talking to his quarterbacks headset over a wireless lipmike either.   The game of 2018 in only a very, very few ways resembles the game of the 1970's.  

You also have zero knowledge of the "provider-customer' relationship in regards to business.  The fans run the show, Sparky.  They pay the cash.  The moolah.  The Shit the owners are after.   No viewership means no revenue - which begets no TV contract.  The NFL is eventually going to scale down the TV contract because that's not how the product is consumed (primarily) anymore.  

Winning is everything in this brand of entertainment.  Jock sniffing an excuse making are left for fans like yourself.
RaynorShyne
All Pro Veteran

01-01-2019, 03:55 AM

(01-01-2019, 03:44 AM)Garrett Garlits Wrote: Rollers,

You don't mean to say that if you owned the Steelers you'd actually listen for one second to a yahoo who compared your employees to wooden dolls? I've heard a lot of crap this season about the Steelers, including thinly veiled and overt racism directed against Tomlin, but that line of bilge absolutely takes the cake. Do us all a favor, Raynor; find another "product" to "consume" quick, fast, and in a hurry.

Sandfan actually said something interesting about a possible Tomlin trade, but that's another thing the Rooneys simply don't believe in. I think it's been outlawed by the NFL since the Gruden trade he mentioned, in any case.

You afraid to admit that it's sports entertainment?  It's wrestling without the script.  Do us all a favor and drop the racism bullshit you keep trolling out.  

It's called a METAPHOR, numbnuts.   Those with a 5th grade education upwards can understand that.  The NFL didn't just fire 25% of the Head Coaches in the league because they weren't "Good Guys" (you'll note the quotes again, since we're doing this).  They were fired for ONE reason:  They lost.

There's a very long walk off a short pier that you can take.
(This post was last modified: 01-01-2019, 04:15 AM by RaynorShyne.)
Rollers
Hall of Famer

01-01-2019, 04:24 AM

(01-01-2019, 03:44 AM)Garrett Garlits Wrote: Rollers,

can you read?  Point out where I said ANYTHING like you tried to attribute to me.  Sick of you racism card.  Last time I'll respond to anything you say here.  Everything is racism... thinly veiled meaning you read into it.  Just forget reading or replying to anything I say and I'll be overjoyed.  I served 24 years in the military did 4 combat tours and I served proudly with many black men.  We would have died for each other.  So tired of piss ants like you yapping about thing that aren't true and you know nothing about.  We never gave two shits about racism or color of skin or anything else.  We took care of each other and I'm PROUD to have served with black men, Latinos,  Asians, and any other ethnic group you can mention including those guy that were gay because that's another thing I never gave a damn about You?  I wouldn't piss on you if you were on fire.