1982 AFC Playoffs Steelers 28 vs Chargers 31
mcmillenandwife
Administrator

05-15-2017, 04:24 AM

1982 AFC Playoffs Steelers 28 vs Chargers 31

Bradshaw vs. Fouts in a shootout that more than lives up to the hype. San Diego fumbles the opening kickoff and Pittsburgh recovers for a TD and is up by 7 before either offense takes the field. Bradshaw is unbelievable for most of the afternoon, hitting 24 of his first 26 passes including 14 in a row at one point. Stallworth catches 8 for 116 yds and a TD and while Franco gains on 35 yards rushing, he leads all receivers with a career high 11 catches. Meanwhile, Fouts is Fouts, matching Bradshaw's 325-yard passing effort with 333 yards of his own. San Diego's offense piles up yardage with Chuck Muncie rushing for 126 yards and both Wes Chandler and Kellen Winslow going over 100 yards receiving. Even so, the Steelers seem to be on the road to victory with a 28-17 4th quarter lead until a late Bradshaw INT opens the door for a San Diego comeback. Equally damaging is a drop by Cunningham late in the game that ends a promising drive and a host of "almost INT's" that Steelers defenders fail to hang onto. The key play of the game is a HUGE 4th quarter INT by Blount in the end zone that is nullified by a penalty away from the play on Jack Ham in the final game of his Hall of Fame career. 
danderson400
Special Teamer

05-15-2017, 12:06 PM

Why was it that they had the Jets-Bengals game playing at the same time?
mcmillenandwife
Administrator

05-15-2017, 02:17 PM

(05-15-2017, 12:06 PM)danderson400 Wrote: Why was it that they had the Jets-Bengals game playing at the same time?

It was a "Playoff Tournament" due to the players' strike, so there were more games than you would normally have in the post-season.
Unregistered

05-28-2017, 07:36 AM

Just noticed Bradshaw rubbed his elbow several times in the 4th quarter. I'm betting that it was really bothering him late in the game. Who knows if he was pain free? If the Steelers get by the Chargers, they would have played Miami in the 2nd round, which would be tough. No doubt they beat the Jets in the AFC Champ. A Steelers/Redskins would have been a Super match up.
Crash
All Pro Veteran

05-28-2017, 01:50 PM

He took elbow shots that entire season. That season was when he originally injured it, some speculate as early as training camp.
mcmillenandwife
Administrator

05-30-2017, 08:14 PM

(05-28-2017, 07:36 AM)Guest Wrote: Just noticed Bradshaw rubbed his elbow several times in the 4th quarter.  I'm betting that it was really bothering him late in the game.  Who knows if he was pain free?  If the Steelers get by the Chargers, they would have played Miami in the 2nd round, which would be tough.  No doubt they beat the Jets in the AFC Champ.  A Steelers/Redskins would have been a Super match up.

Like Crash, I'd heard that Terry's arm bothered him most of the '82 season, something from training camp. 

I've often wondered, if he hadn't had the surgery and just played with the pain and knowing that he didn't quite have the zip he used to, what would the outcome have been? Probably not much different. The balance of power was shifting in the league and '82 was really our best shot at getting back to the Super Bowl. The Raiders were absolutely peaking heading into the post-season in '83 and I think that game was going to be a buzz saw, even had Bradshaw played.
Crash
All Pro Veteran

05-31-2017, 09:34 AM

I think if he wanted to Terry could have played with the pain as long as he couldn't injure it further. That was when the NFL really started using their running backs as pass catchers, and Franco had a solid year out of the backfield catching passes.

The hangup IMO would be, would Bradshaw WANT to adapt his playing style to that? Maybe a game here, a game there, but with Terry's big play mentality and trust in his receivers? I think it would be hard for him to reign it in and change full time just to hang around for another season or two.

I guess the best analogy would be Mario Lemieux, came back after a year off and won two scoring titles, and then retired after 1997 because he felt he couldn't do the things he WANTED to do on the ice.
mcmillenandwife
Administrator

05-31-2017, 10:01 AM

(05-31-2017, 09:34 AM)Crash Wrote: I think if he wanted to Terry could have played with the pain as long as he couldn't injure it further.  That was when the NFL really started using their running backs as pass catchers, and Franco had a solid year out of the backfield catching passes.  

The hangup IMO would be, would Bradshaw WANT to adapt his playing style to that?  Maybe a game here, a game there, but with Terry's big play mentality and trust in his receivers?  I think it would be hard for him to reign it in and change full time just to hang around for another season or two.  

I guess the best analogy would be Mario Lemieux, came back after a year off and won two scoring titles, and then retired after 1997 because he felt he couldn't do the things he WANTED to do on the ice.

I totally get where you're coming from because Terry was a definitely gunslinger. I think he was already well into the process of adapting his playing style to the shorter passing game, however. As proof, Franco Harris led the team in catches and was on pace to catch 55 passes in 1982. Ultimately he "only" caught 34 because it was a strike-shortened 9-game season (plus he caught 11 more passes in the playoff game vs. San Diego). At the same time, Bradshaw was also tied for the league lead in TDs in '82 (with Fouts and Montana). He was getting it done and at that point in his career, I think Bradshaw was mature enough to do whatever gave the Steelers the best chance to win. To your point, I don't think it would've been an easy or particularly welcome transition. He definitely wasn't a patient guy by nature... case in point, he rushed back too soon and destroyed his arm. But if you go back and read articles, Terry still wanted to play another 4-5 years (even though he was know to mention retirement from time to time like a certain other QB we know and love).
Crash
All Pro Veteran

05-31-2017, 02:11 PM

I still remember when Jim Kelly was pleading for the Steelers to trade for his rights because he didn't want to go to Buffalo.

Not drafting Marino was the sin. IMO they win the Super Bowl in 1984 if they picked him.
Unregistered

07-02-2017, 09:04 PM

I think the Steelers had a chance to get a SB that year if they win this game. Miami wasn't a great team, and neither were the Jets or Redskins.
mcmillenandwife
Administrator

07-02-2017, 10:45 PM

(07-02-2017, 09:04 PM)Guest Wrote: I think the Steelers had a chance to get a SB that year if they win this game. Miami wasn't a great team, and neither were the Jets or Redskins.

I agree 100%.  Thumbsup
Garrett Garlits
Starting Lineup

08-09-2017, 03:15 AM

After the game, it's the Fifth Quarter with first half highlights plus interviews from both locker rooms. (The tape cut out before the end of the show; I assume they eventually had second half highlights as well.) When's the last time that members of a team agreed to go on their opponent's local postgame show, win or lose? What a classy move by the Chargers.

There are also lots of vintage local commercials, and a few national ads too. My favorite was Bob Barker (yes, THAT Bob Barker) selling life insurance to senior citizens. I can't remember seeing an ad of that type in any sort of football broadcast whatsoever before or since.
(This post was last modified: 08-09-2017, 05:12 AM by Garrett Garlits.)