1978 AFC Championship Steelers 34 vs Oilers 5
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
mcmillenandwife
Administrator

04-04-2017, 11:32 AM

1978 AFC Championship Steelers 34 vs Oilers 5

The Steelers absolutely DESTROY the shell-shocked Oilers in TERRIBLE weather at Three Rivers Stadium. Pittsburgh acclimates to the cold, steady rain right from the start, driving for TDs twice in the 1st quarter with Harris and Bleier scoring the points. The score is 14-3 as halftime approaches when suddenly, within the last 48 seconds of the first half, the Steelers explode for 17 points in a stunning display of power. Bradshaw hits Swann in double coverage with a perfect 29-yard rainbow for a TD to run the score to 21-3. The Oilers fumble away the ensuing kickoff and Bradshaw immediately fires a laser to Stallworth for another score. After the kickoff, Houston fumbles again on the first play from scrimmage, giving the Steelers a chance to add a Gerela FG before halftime for an insurmountable 31-3 lead. Bradshaw (11 of 19, 200 yds, 2 TD), Swann (4 rec., 98 yds, 1 TD) & Ham (1 INT, 1 sack, 2 FR) are spectacular, but the incredible play of Pittsburgh's offensive line is the key to the game. While Bradshaw has all day in the pocket, the Steel Curtain absolutely swarms Pastorini, intercepting him 5 times, and completely neutralizing the great Earl Campbell. By game's end, the teams combine for 12 fumbles and 14 turnovers in the icy soup as the Steelers slip 'n slide their way to their 3rd Super Bowl. 
Unregistered

04-28-2017, 03:15 AM

The Bradshaw hydroplane action at 63:20! 11 yard run + 8 yard slide. Awesome sauce!
Unregistered

04-30-2017, 05:31 AM

What a great game in rough conditions.  Bradshaw didn't let the weather bother him though and was great as usual.  Thanks for putting these games up.  It is great to hear Curt Gowdy call the Steel Curtain games!

S.
Crash
Starting Lineup

05-03-2017, 09:34 AM

Best part about these old games is that they are local Pittsburgh channels and you sometimes get some of the local news after with it.

Thanks Tim!
mcmillenandwife
Administrator

05-03-2017, 10:02 AM

(05-03-2017, 09:34 AM)Crash Wrote: Best part about these old games is that they are local Pittsburgh channels and you sometimes get some of the local news after with it.

Thanks Tim!

You're welcome, Crash! Yes, a few of the games have some really great "bonus" coverage. Love that extra stuff!
mcmillenandwife
Administrator

05-03-2017, 10:09 AM

(04-30-2017, 05:31 AM)Guest Wrote: What a great game in rough conditions.  Bradshaw didn't let the weather bother him though and was great as usual.  Thanks for putting these games up.  It is great to hear Curt Gowdy call the Steel Curtain games!

S.

Glad you're enjoying the games, my friend. Agreed, Bradshaw was simply fantastic in bad weather as his career progressed. Crazy good! That pass to Swann just before the half (at the 94:09 mark)... it's so flippin' perfect. Perfect spiral, perfect touch, right on the money, off his back foot, over double coverage. How is it possible to throw the ball like that in the best of conditions, let alone in that freezing mess they were sliding around in???
Unregistered

05-20-2017, 01:18 PM

This is prolly my favorite classic Steelers 70's game. Love it
mcmillenandwife
Administrator

05-20-2017, 09:39 PM

(05-20-2017, 01:18 PM)Guest Wrote: This is prolly my favorite classic Steelers 70's game.  Love it

It's in my top 3 as well. Absolutely love this game.  Thumbsup  I just remember the absolute JOY I felt as a 10-year old kid at the end of that crazy first half, knowing we were going back to the Super Bowl. Just running around, whooping and hollering and jumping up and down. Great memories.
Unregistered

05-20-2017, 10:49 PM

I think the Steelers' memory of the '75 AFC Championship against the Raiders really prepared them for this game. I mean, the Oilers were a fine team, but they were not the Raiders. Pittsburgh almost seemed to take a sadistic pleasure in this match, showing the Oilers that they had no experience in such a big game played in such tough conditions. No problem -- I'm from Pittsburgh, so it doesn't bother me. But my sympathies do go out to Houston just a tiny little bit. They just had no idea of what they were walking into.
mcmillenandwife
Administrator

05-20-2017, 11:10 PM

(05-20-2017, 10:49 PM)Guest Wrote: I think the Steelers' memory of the '75 AFC Championship against the Raiders really prepared them for this game. I mean, the Oilers were a fine team, but they were not the Raiders. Pittsburgh almost seemed to take a sadistic pleasure in this match, showing the Oilers that they had no experience in such a big game played in such tough conditions. No problem -- I'm from Pittsburgh, so it doesn't bother me. But my sympathies do go out to Houston just a tiny little bit. They just had no idea of what they were walking into.

Laugh  LOL. Kick their @$$, pat them on the head and send them home. "Nice try, small fry."  Pi_bigsmile

The Oilers of the '70s were my second favorite team and Earl Campbell remains my favorite RB ever, which made these games even more awesome for me. I grew to hate the Oilers once Bum and Earl were gone and jerks like Pardee, Moon and especially Jerry Glanville came to town. The downfall started when Stabler (hated), Casper (hated) and Tatum (REALLY HATED) came from Oakland in 1980. Didn't make them better and screwed up the team chemistry. 

Anyway, I'm with you on feeling a little sorry for Houston. They were a Super Bowl caliber team by 1979. Tough, physical, played well together as a team. If not for the Steelers, I'm confident they would've won a Lombardi.
Crash
Starting Lineup

05-21-2017, 03:14 AM

I remember this game as if it were yesterday. Where I was, who we were with, etc. I was 8.

When it comes to Pittsburgh sports in general? My brother nick named me "Rain Man".
Unregistered

05-22-2017, 09:36 AM

do you have the entire network broadcasts of superbowls x andxiii the two great cowboys steeler superbowls ,im sure other fans would love to see them also.
mcmillenandwife
Administrator

05-22-2017, 09:54 AM

(05-22-2017, 09:36 AM)Guest Wrote: do you have the entire network broadcasts of superbowls x andxiii the two great cowboys steeler superbowls ,im sure other fans would love to see them also.

Yes, search through the game menu and you can see what games we have. 

Here are direct links to the Super Bowls you asked about:

Super Bowl X Steelers 21 vs Cowboys 17

Super Bowl XIII Steelers 35 vs Cowboys 31

Enjoy!
Unregistered

05-27-2017, 10:37 AM

17 points in 48 seconds!
Garrett Garlits
Starting Lineup

08-06-2017, 03:08 AM

There are a ton of features and interviews in this one:

Pregame- Previews of both the AFC and NFC title games, a feature on Lance Alworth's induction into the Hall of Fame (he was the first AFL player to be inducted), and Mike Adamle looking like a frozen drowned rat on the field at Three Rivers. The story about Joe Greene and Lynn Swann giving the Oilers briefcases for beating the Bengals the year before and giving the Steelers the AFC Central is priceless (and probably against NFL rules today). Also, updates on John Madden's retirement from coaching and Bill Walsh's impending hire by the 49ers.

Halftime- An excellent piece on the Immaculate Reception, plus scores and highlights.

Postgame- Mike Adamle in the Steelers locker room, and Merlin Olsen briefly interviewing Dan Pastorini, who correctly predicts that the Steelers will win Super Bowl XIII. More highlights from both NBC and WTAE-TV, and we close with a Myron Cope commentary on why Oilers tight end Mike Barber should have kept his mouth shut about being hit by Mike Wagner.

How young Bill Hillgrove looks here, and he's about to celebrate his twenty-fourth year as the voice of the Steelers.
(This post was last modified: 08-06-2017, 05:01 AM by Garrett Garlits.)
mcmillenandwife
Administrator

08-06-2017, 05:39 AM

Thanks, Garrett!  Thumbsup

[-]
Quick Reply

Image Verification
Please enter the text contained within the image into the text box below it. This process is used to prevent automated spam bots.
Image Verification
(case insensitive)