never had a losing season
sandfan
Hall of Famer

01-26-2019, 11:39 PM

Since that's a key phrase used by many Tomlin supporters I thought I'd add another to the mix.  He also has a playoff winning record.  Barely, but he has one none the less.

Some might feel that's an achievement upon which to hang one's hat.  I suggest, just like his regular season record, he's again under performed considering he has had a HOF qb and other superior talent on his squads during his entire tenure. 

His best days were just after Cowher retired.  Since then he's been pedestrian at best.  I doubt pedestrian would be the appropriate adjective if he were working with the likes of Maddox, O'donnell, Stewart, etc. during his career.  

The more we learn about this "players" coach the less I like it.  The recent revelations about Brown not staying with the team during camp are really insightful.  Smacks of truly letting the inmates run the institution.  Yea, I know some will take that as a racist comment but I am using it as an example of lack of control and willingness to accept the challenges of leadership.  

The slope of this team is trending in the wrong direction.  It's sad Rooney can't see that or own up to the main reason for the trend.

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/t...ayoffs.htm
bbbooger
Hall of Famer

01-27-2019, 03:23 AM

(01-26-2019, 11:39 PM)sandfan Wrote: ...

His best days were just after Cowher retired.  Since then he's been pedestrian at best.  I doubt pedestrian would be the appropriate adjective if he were working with the likes of Maddox, O'donnell, Stewart, etc. during his career
The slope of this team is trending in the wrong direction.  It's sad Rooney can't see that or own up to the main reason for the trend.

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/t...ayoffs.htm

Strongly concur... I said that very thing here 2+ years ago (and took a thorough beat-down at the time as a result...) Glad to see others are finally recognizing the pattern and direction... Art II...?

Tomlin inherited a team with established and (at the time) highly successful coordinators, a HOF QB, and strong and capable veteran leadership throughout the locker room, on both sides of the ball.  I've said all along: all he really needed to do back then was stay the heck out-of-the-way, and toss out a few Tomlinesque sound-bites at his weekly presser.  I'm sorry, apologists, but the record is clear:  The more involved he's become, the more this team has gone in the wrong direction. (and please, Please, PLEASE don't try to refute that fact by citing "winning record" i.e. 13-3 in 2017... not after losing, badly..., going one-and-done against BBBlake BBBortles ... UGH! Not to mention getting Tebowed a few years earlier, perhaps we should dub him "one-and-done Tomlin"... or is that being redundant?!?)
(This post was last modified: 01-27-2019, 07:48 AM by bbbooger.)