Steelers organization >
Cali-Steeler
Hall of Famer

03-10-2019, 11:40 PM

Ive always been proud of the Steelers Organization and how they handle things in the past.

But with Dan Rooney passed on and how things have been handled over the past few years. Tomlin's debacle / The teams inside problems / And Art and colbert talking out in the media. And now Colbert acting like

a bad ass quoting " This wont be a fire sale " We won't take anything less "  A.B. TRUMPED THAT AND SHOVED IT DOWN OUR FACE. Um Yes Mr. Colbert you will eat that

Has this Organization changed for the worst?  I mean the last time I remember Dan Rooney talking to the Media was in 2004. I remember him being a little fed up and saying. it's time to win a Championship

Let me know your opinions on this.
Krunch
Hall of Famer

03-11-2019, 01:24 AM

(03-10-2019, 11:40 PM)Cali-Steeler Wrote: Ive always been proud of the Steelers Organization and how they handle things in the past.

But with Dan Rooney passed on and how things have been handled over the past few years. Tomlin's debacle / The teams inside problems / And Art and colbert talking out in the media. And now Colbert acting like

a bad ass quoting " This wont be a fire sale " We won't take anything less "  A.B. TRUMPED THAT AND SHOVED IT DOWN OUR FACE. Um Yes Mr. Colbert you will eat that

Has this Organization changed for the worst?  I mean the last time I remember Dan Rooney talking to the Media was in 2004. I remember him being a little fed up and saying. it's time to win a Championship

Let me know your opinions on this.

Agree 1000 per cent.  I am all about the heritage and the past class of the organization. What I miss most are the days when Steeler Fans could laugh at the garbage being caused by the crappy leadership at the Bengals, the Browns, the Raiders, the Cowboys.  Pooof.  Now it's the weak-assed led Steelers being laughed at and ridiculed throughout the league.  But hey, at least we have a Player's Coach where your own sense of fun and Instagram Follows can be a priority.  I'm glad the players are having fun.

"Just give me a six-pack and 30 minutes to rest and lets go out and play 'em again!"  
  - Jack Lambert
bbbooger
All Pro Veteran

03-11-2019, 01:53 AM

AB gets everything he wants... Steelers get... Nothing! The clown show continues... Sad day when the Steelers become the laughing stock of the league, Sad, Sad, day...
sandfan
Hall of Famer

03-11-2019, 08:13 AM

We were the class of the league With Noll and the Chief. We stayed the course pretty much with the Chin and Dan. Then we hired coach cliche and the family lineage weakened to the point that we are on the verge of becoming, or have already have become, a joke.

Colbert has helped draft quality players for the most part. Sprinkle in some all pro types and the job he's done overall cannot, in my view, be the main reason for the fall from glory. Tomlin seems to have several weaknesses in his coaching portfolio. Game strategy and tactics along with challenges have been discussed many times. My view is that's not his, and therefore the team's, biggest issue.

He's supposedly a player's coach. While some look upon that as a positive the way the last few years have unfolded it's hard to support that thought. Brown and Bell are the tip of the iceberg albeit very important tips considering their talents. They are not the only players who have opted to leave over the past few years and likely will not be the last to try to get out of Tomlin's circus this year. One would think a player's coach might inspire loyalty. I realize the character of today's players is a bit different than in the past but I don't see many or any other teams losing core players, due maybe to disfunction more than cash, than the Steelers. Tomlin may have the media and ownership on board with his player's coach stature. Unfortunately that does not seem to be the case in the locker room.

I don't think the Steelers will win another title as long as Tomlin has his position. That's sad considering with Noll and the Chin the goal was always another ring.
dbsfgyd1
Hall of Famer

03-11-2019, 10:14 AM

You know guys, come September, there is going to be a Steeler team on the field, and I’m here to tell you it will be competitive.

So we lost AB & Bell. Great players true, but only when they want to be. The replacements, Connor, Juju, are not what I would call bottom of the barrel talent. In the draft there are WRs all over the place and we have a phenomenal track record drafting talented ones, although most of them seem to be greedy SOBs, druggie, or head cases.

Losing Gilbert, that really hasn’t played much the last 2 years and on a fat contract btw. Being replaced by a capable player at 75% less cost, back by a future starter Chucks Okafor, & Jerold Hawkins, I’m not worried about the O’line at all.

Offensively, I have few concerns, the Defense?? I keep hearing they need to do a better job of communicating as the only problem. The truth is they are not good enough. They are not fast enough, strong enough, don’t tackle well enough, and don’t understand their assignment well enough.

Butler’s defense system is so haphazardly put together nobody seem to know what to do. All you have to do is go back to some of the games from 10 years ago, and marvel at how coordinated it was compared to today version.

IMO, Butler is the defensive version of Bruce Ariens. If you like stats for stats sakes, they’re your guys.
bbbooger
All Pro Veteran

03-11-2019, 10:46 AM

(03-11-2019, 08:13 AM)sandfan Wrote: ...
I don't think the Steelers will win another title as long as Tomlin has his position.  That's sad considering with Noll and the Chin the goal was always another ring.

I'm, sadly, confident that is the absolute truth.  I don't care for how he handled himself on his way out of town (and thereafter...) but you have to admit Deebo was right when he said "... the more Tomlin exercises control, and the more of 'his' people he put's into place, the further the Steelers get from winning another Super Bowl..." (paraphrase)
mcmillenandwife
Administrator

03-11-2019, 10:35 PM

I'm not surprised that we didn't get much for A.B. The notion of getting a 1st round pick for a 31-year old malcontent receiver who wants out was ZERO. It boggles my mind that such a thing was ever even suggested by the so-called "experts" as a plausible outcome. Apparently, the reporters and reporter-ettes at ESPN/NFL Network/etc. have never been involved in a negotiation. 

I definitely blame the organization (Tomlin most of all) for letting the situation become what it became. Tomlin's chance to rein in AB and set the tone was when the behavioral trouble first started. Instead, he let the "men be men" and allowed the beast to grow. The problem is, AB isn't a "man being a man." He's an adolescent in a man's body. Tomlin needed to apply a redirect much earlier in AB's career. He needed to steer him in the right direction when AB started to become great; instead, he gave him special privileges, allowed him to skip/be late for meetings, rewarded disrespectful/childish behavior by tolerating it with no real consequences. Huge mistake to let that ego go unchecked. 

For that, I blame the organization.

But once AB's ego cat was out of the bag, I don't think the team could've done any more than they did. 3rd and 5th is about what I expected. Honestly, a little better... I was worried we'd only come away with a couple of late-round picks or worse, simply end up releasing him. The 3rd rounder sounds pretty good to me. 

Given the available options, I'm pretty pleased AB ended up in Oakland... er, Vegas, assuming it doesn't fall apart in the next couple of days (which is still very possible). I have hated the Raiders my entire life. This is perfect. I wish him nothing but the worst.  Laugh
Chucktownsteeler
Hall of Famer

03-11-2019, 11:55 PM

The way I see it the market determines the value. Many teams dropped out of the running because of the off-field and locker-room baggage this ass-clown brings to the table. He made racist insults to Ryan Clark and was attempting a locker room coup with Pouncey. Fuck him and the horse he rode out of town on. In the Cowher ERA we lost all-pro players year-after-year and got little or nothing in return. Give me the players that want to be here, I'll take more Watts, Connors and Ju-Jus and less Bell and Browns, please. Burnett will go as well, he'll be released this week.

Was he one of my favorite players at one time? Yes. Is he is a team player? No. But success and either injury changed him. When Vontaze Burflict knocked him out a few seasons back I thought the NFL had its 1st on-field fatality. AB mentally was never the same. Let's see just what I know of:

1.) Much off field drama between him and various baby mamas.
2.) Threated physical harm to a reporter.
3.) Driving in excess of 100-mph in a Pittsburgh residential area.
4.) Quitting on his team at least 3 times we know of last season. Including once in week 17 with the play-offs on the line.
5.) Dropping furniture off his 14-story balcony narrowly missing children.
6.) Endless social media antics including taping and broadcasting a team meeting.
7.) Sideline antics totally embarrassing himself and the organization. Hard to imagine this in a Noll or Cowher led team.

Is he a great player? Yes. Is he worth it in the long run? No.

I say good riddance, I am proud of the Steelers. Perhaps they are trying to right the ship. This trade deep down is going to eat AB alive. His market value isn't even a second round pick.

The draft is strong with defensive players and WRs. Time was right to rid the team of this cancer.

The name on the front of the jersey is more important than the one on the back.

Enjoy your 5 wins or so a season, jack-ass, although I have a feeling the Raiders won't be you last team. You'll be dissing team-mates and Carr by week 10. 

Dilly - Dilly!

Next - Minkah, #39!
  [Image: chucktown_sig_pic.jpg]
(This post was last modified: 03-11-2019, 11:59 PM by Chucktownsteeler.)
mcmillenandwife
Administrator

03-12-2019, 12:31 AM

(03-11-2019, 11:55 PM)Chucktownsteeler Wrote: The way I see it the market determines the value. Many teams dropped out of the running because of the off-field and locker-room baggage this ass-clown brings to the table. He made racist insults to Ryan Clark and was attempting a locker room coup with Pouncey. Fuck him and the horse he rode out of town on. In the Cowher ERA we lost all-pro players year-after-year and got little or nothing in return. Give me the players that want to be here, I'll take more Watts, Connors and Ju-Jus and less Bell and Browns, please. Burnett will go as well, he'll be released this week.

Was he one of my favorite players at one time? Yes. Is he is a team player? No. But success and either injury changed him. When Vontaze Burflict knocked him out a few seasons back I thought the NFL had its 1st on-field fatality. AB mentally was never the same. Let's see just what I know of:

1.) Much off field drama between him and various baby mamas.
2.) Threated physical harm to a reporter.
3.) Driving in excess of 100-mph in a Pittsburgh residential area.
4.) Quitting on his team at least 3 times we know of last season. Including once in week 17 with the play-offs on the line.
5.) Dropping furniture off his 14-story balcony narrowly missing children.
6.) Endless social media antics including taping and broadcasting a team meeting.
7.) Sideline antics totally embarrassing himself and the organization. Hard to imagine this in a Noll or Cowher led team.

Is he a great player? Yes. Is he worth it in the long run? No.

I say good riddance, I am proud of the Steelers. Perhaps they are trying to right the ship. This trade deep down is going to eat AB alive. His market value isn't even a second round pick.

The draft is strong with defensive players and WRs. Time was right to rid the team of this cancer.

The name on the front of the jersey is more important than the one on the back.

Enjoy your 5 wins or so a season, jack-ass, although I have a feeling the Raiders won't be you last team. You'll be dissing team-mates and Carr by week 10. 

Dilly - Dilly!

Thumbsup Thumbsup Thumbsup
sandfan
Hall of Famer

03-12-2019, 03:24 AM

The Raiders, like the Browns, are positioned to take a very big step in the next 1-2 years. They have the cap space to sign free agents of their choosing and three first round draft choices this year. The Browns finally have begun to make progress but they have not had the advantage the Raiders have before them.

Brown is an integral piece in spite of his antics. Maybe he will continue to be a cancer and hurt the Raiders chances to regain some of their past glory. I believe it's just as likely he will play harder to show the doubters the error of their ways when it came to rejecting the trade. The boy has talent. The question is can he control his ego.

The Raiders have a new GM. One that looked to be pretty sharp analyzing talent for a network. One not likely to make the same mistakes made by the prior GM. Gruden has won a championship. He may do so again. The Raiders have moved to tear the current squad down, accumulate picks and cash all in preparation to what will come in a few months. This approach is quite opposite that taken by the Steelers and therefore maybe hard for some to accept as possible. I feel, however, if the Browns can do it why not the Raiders.

I trust Colbert to draft better than average vs his peers. I don't trust Tomlin to use or develop those picks to their full potential. That's the rub for Pittsburgh. I fear it will continue to be until Tomlin is gone. Hopefully that will be before Ben's talents are completely gone.
RaynorShyne
Hall of Famer

03-12-2019, 05:00 AM

(03-12-2019, 03:24 AM)sandfan Wrote: The Raiders, like the Browns, are positioned to take a very big step in the next 1-2 years.  

We've heard this before
Chucktownsteeler
Hall of Famer

03-12-2019, 05:22 AM

(03-12-2019, 05:00 AM)RaynorShyne Wrote:
(03-12-2019, 03:24 AM)sandfan Wrote: The Raiders, like the Browns, are positioned to take a very big step in the next 1-2 years.  

We've heard this before

Roll Roll Roll Roll Roll Roll

Next - Minkah, #39!
  [Image: chucktown_sig_pic.jpg]