1981 Steelers 24 vs Rams 0
mcmillenandwife
Administrator

05-16-2017, 10:00 PM

1981 Steelers 24 vs Rams 0

Jack Lambert is seemingly everywhere as the Steelers pound Rams at Three Rivers! "Count Dracula in Cleats" gets up close and personal with Wendell Tyler early in the game and plays like a man possessed for the rest of the afternoon…Wendell never should've messed with Lambert! Also outstanding are Franco Harris, Mel Blount, and Jack Ham. Pat Haden gets knocked out of the game early and the Steel Curtain proceeds to beat backup Dan Pastorini like an ugly stepchild. Simply brutal! 
Unregistered

05-17-2017, 01:20 AM

Man I tell you Pollard and Thornton were pretty good backs. I believe if either one of them were the feature backs in the days of Harris and Bleier they could of easily of been 1000 yard rushers per season themselves. Both of them were late round steals.
It's funny how they drafted Hawthorne, Abercrombie and Worely in the first round to become the next great back and none of them panned out. Aside from Harris and Bell the Steelers always had better luck with later round backs.

I am really enjoying these games you are uploading.

Sal
mcmillenandwife
Administrator

05-17-2017, 09:02 AM

(05-17-2017, 01:20 AM)Guest Wrote: Man I tell you Pollard and Thornton were pretty good backs. I believe if either one of them were the feature backs in the days of Harris and Bleier they could of easily of been 1000 yard rushers per season themselves. Both of them were late round steals.
It's funny how they drafted Hawthorne, Abercrombie and Worely in the first round to become the next great back and none of them panned out. Aside from Harris and Bell the Steelers always had better luck with later round backs.

I am really enjoying these games you are uploading.

Sal

Glad you're enjoying them, my brutha. 

Man, I loved Sidney Thornton. I would've added a #38 jersey to my wardrobe in 1979 had such a jersey existed at that time. I thought he was going to be the next big thing. But for some reason, he developed fumble-itis. He just started coughing it up left and right in '81, got in Chuck Noll's doghouse and never got out. I was bummed when he went to the USFL. 

I liked Pollard, too. Very solid player. But he is still kind of a symbol of the Steelers' decline to me, know what I mean?  

I agree with your assessment that we've had better luck with RB's taken in later rounds. Hawthorne was awful. Abercrombie was better, but still not worthy of a first round pick. We seemed to have an obsession with Baylor backs in the early 80's.
Unregistered

05-17-2017, 03:23 PM

I remember this game! Great to see the Steelers showing a bit of the old form, and a rematch of Super Bowl XIV. All we needed was maybe for a bit of the old 60 Prevent, Slot Hook and Go.