New Corner > Steve Nelson 3 years 25 Mill
Cali-Steeler
Hall of Famer

03-13-2019, 11:08 AM

3 years 25 Mil.  Is he worth it?  Your opinion?

Steve Nelson 26 yrs old

5-11   194 pnds    3rd round pick   EducationNorthside High SchoolCollege of the Sequoias

Steven Nelson  
Career stats

4 picks last year

Link to highlights  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yR2SrV1CxOY

Crash
Hall of Famer

03-13-2019, 11:41 AM

Bum.
Garrett Garlits
All Pro Veteran

03-13-2019, 05:22 PM

Is there anyone they could sign with the money they have left who WOULDN'T be a bum to you?

Is there any move they could make that doesn't involve firing Tomlin and/or Colbert or Art II selling the team that you would applaud? I'm assuming that you would consider anyone Colbert drafts with the possible exception of Nick Bosa to be a bum, especially if the Steelers don't make a blockbuster trade to get them.)

Remind me again why you call yourself a fan of the current Steelers, if you do.
(This post was last modified: 03-13-2019, 05:24 PM by Garrett Garlits.)
Crash
Hall of Famer

03-13-2019, 06:17 PM

I would bring in Chis Conley for a look and have him run. If his speed is back to pre-achillies injury sign him.

6-3 205 and runs like a deer when he's healthy.

If not him? Have Terrelle Pryor do the same thing, and he has interest in playing for this team and Mike Tomlin has always liked him. Bring him in and have him run. The offense needs a WR who can stretch the field, take the top off the coverage. And none of the guys left after JuJu are really good at that at all.

Golden Tate is out there and tweeted his interest to the Steelers directly. He's worlds better than Ryan freaking Switzer if they want a possession receiver.

I would have cut Bud Dupree loose, not bothered with Chickello, and pursued Justin Houston the minute the Chiefs decided to cut him. He's only 30, and he has plenty of pass rush left. If they didn't see anything in Chickello that prevented them from drafting TJ Watt two years ago, why on Earth would you pay #56 an absurd $4 mil a year to play on a bad special teams unit? And you know damn well that one of their first two picks will be on another linebacker.

But thinking outside the box and pursuing TOP LEVEL talent takes effort, and it takes money.

They have Heinz Field revenues, but the still have the same mindset of how they ran things when they had Three Rivers Stadium revenues.

Now see what the Browns gave up to get OBJ? If the Steelers were smart, they would tell the Raiders we pull the trade offer, then you give Brown permission to speak to ALL 31 teams like they allowed them to speak to Oakland, you allow him to make his own deal, and then you get better compensation because of the bidding war to get him.

But again, that takes effort. While the rest of the NFL was talking to potential players, Mike Tomlin and Kevin Colbert were in Florida watching the Pirates.

Nice to know they have their priorities in order.
Rollers
Hall of Famer

03-13-2019, 07:51 PM

(03-13-2019, 06:17 PM)Crash Wrote: I would bring in Chis Conley for a look and have him run.  If his speed is back to pre-achillies injury sign him.

If not him?  Have Terrelle Pryor do the same thing, and he has interest in playing for this team and Mike Tomlin has always liked him. Bring him in and have him run.   The offense needs a WR who can stretch the field, take the top off the coverage. And none of the guys left after JuJu are really good at that at all.    

Golden Tate is out there and tweeted his interest to the Steelers directly.  He's worlds better than Ryan freaking Switzer if they want a possession receiver.    

I would have cut Bud Dupree loose, not bothered with Chickello, and pursued Justin Houston the minute the Chiefs decided to cut him.  He's only 30, and he has plenty of pass rush left.  If they didn't see anything in Chickello that prevented them from drafting TJ Watt two years ago, why on Earth would you pay #56  an absurd $4 mil a year to play on a bad special teams unit?  And you know damn well that one of their first two picks will be on another linebacker.

But thinking outside the box and pursuing TOP LEVEL talent takes effort, and it takes money.  

They have Heinz Field revenues, but the still have the same mindset of how they ran things when they had Three Rivers Stadium revenues.    

Now see what the Browns gave up to get OBJ?  If the Steelers were smart, they would tell the Raiders we pull the trade offer, then you give Brown permission to speak to ALL 31 teams like they allowed them to speak to Oakland, you allow him to make his own deal, and then you get better compensation because of the bidding war to get him.

But again, that takes effort.  While the rest of the NFL was talking to potential players, Mike Tomlin and Kevin Colbert were in Florida watching the Pirates.  

nice answer
mcmillenandwife
Administrator

03-13-2019, 10:42 PM

(03-13-2019, 06:17 PM)Crash Wrote: I would bring in Chis Conley for a look and have him run.  If his speed is back to pre-achillies injury sign him.

If not him?  Have Terrelle Pryor do the same thing, and he has interest in playing for this team and Mike Tomlin has always liked him. Bring him in and have him run.   The offense needs a WR who can stretch the field, take the top off the coverage. And none of the guys left after JuJu are really good at that at all.    

Golden Tate is out there and tweeted his interest to the Steelers directly.  He's worlds better than Ryan freaking Switzer if they want a possession receiver.    

I would have cut Bud Dupree loose, not bothered with Chickello, and pursued Justin Houston the minute the Chiefs decided to cut him.  He's only 30, and he has plenty of pass rush left.  If they didn't see anything in Chickello that prevented them from drafting TJ Watt two years ago, why on Earth would you pay #56  an absurd $4 mil a year to play on a bad special teams unit?  And you know damn well that one of their first two picks will be on another linebacker.

Now see what the Browns gave up to get OBJ?  If the Steelers were smart, they would tell the Raiders we pull the trade offer, then you give Brown permission to speak to ALL 31 teams like they allowed them to speak to Oakland, you allow him to make his own deal, and then you get better compensation because of the bidding war to get him.

But again, that takes effort.  While the rest of the NFL was talking to potential players, Mike Tomlin and Kevin Colbert were in Florida watching the Pirates.  

Sadly, I can't argue with a single word of what you just said. I'm trying to keep a positive outlook. "Addition by subtraction" with Bell/Brown and all that. But...

Deep down inside, I fear we are headed for dark times. For the first time since the late 80's, I feel it's "possible" (still can't quite wrap my head around it) that we will be overtaken by the Cleveland F-ing Browns. A Hall of Fame QB, still not past his prime IMO, and we're going to squander these last 2-3 precious years of Big Ben with a front office focused on playing not to have a losing record instead of playing to win a championship. 

Definitely not feelin' it this morning, gentlemen.
Rollers
Hall of Famer

03-13-2019, 11:00 PM

(03-13-2019, 10:42 PM)mcmillenandwife Wrote:

Sadly, I can't argue with a single word of what you just said. I'm trying to keep a positive outlook. "Addition by subtraction" with Bell/Brown and all that. But...

Deep down inside, I fear we are headed for dark times. For the first time since the late 80's, I feel it's "possible" (still can't quite wrap my head around it) that we will be overtaken by the Cleveland F-ing Browns. A Hall of Fame QB, still not past his prime IMO, and we're going to squander these last 2-3 precious years of Big Ben with a front office focused on playing not to have a losing record instead of playing to win a championship. 

yeah me neither.  But there you have it.  They'll reach way down into the bargain bin and pull out the re-treads no one else wants.  They are lazy.  Why would they be watching Pirate's baseball at this time?  You think that's a wise use of time?  I'm pretty much done until Tomlin exits along with Colbert.  I can't wait to see the third rounder we draft with our 1st round pick this year.  Just like last year
Garrett Garlits
All Pro Veteran

03-14-2019, 12:13 AM

The Pirates visit is a tradition of theirs, a lot like Tomlin going to Penguins games. A simple, harmless show of support for another Pittsburgh team. In this day and age of phones with literally thousands of uses and laptops with WiFi connections, they can do things like this and still keep on top of business. By the way, I didn't see Colbert with Tomlin.

As for rescinding the AB trade, they'd never do that in a million years unless they don't plan on ever doing business with the Raiders again. Think about it; the trade's already been announced and dissected all over the place, and AB's working out with Derek Carr in Oakland. After all that, you tell the Raiders, "Just kidding, we want more from someone else?" That's a way to go from model business partner to league pariah in no time flat. I don't even think I've ever heard of a team THINKING about pulling such an asinine stunt. Why would anyone do business with the Steelers after that? Not to mention possible league sanctions. How about a one million dollar fine and the loss of their whole draft, plus a full year suspension for Colbert as the GM? I've heard about players refusing to report or failing physicals, but never, ever of a team reneging on an announced trade, even if it's unofficial. If stuff like that is gutsy to you, your value system is completely out of whack.

As for the other ramblings I've seen today, free agency is young yet. The odds are that there won't be any splashy signings or Beckham-type trades, but no one can tell for sure. Give credit to the Browns for winning the offseason if you must, but until we see exactly how this season plays out, none of us will know how anyone's moves will end up affecting things. OBJ could tear up a knee in camp and JuJu could have two thousand receiving yards, or Ben could break his neck and be forced to retire while Mayfield or Lamar Jackson leads their team to a 16-0 record. Or the Bengals could surprise everyone and win it all. All we can have is hope, and I for one still have it. The odds are no doubt longer than they have been in recent years, but this isn't 1986. There's talent everywhere on this team, enough for them to make some noise. Are they a Super Bowl team? Who knows, and at this point in mid-March, who gives a damn? Enjoy the offseason; enjoy watching this team develop.
(This post was last modified: 03-14-2019, 02:27 AM by Garrett Garlits.)
mcmillenandwife
Administrator

03-14-2019, 12:27 AM

(03-13-2019, 11:00 PM)Rollers Wrote:
(03-13-2019, 10:42 PM)mcmillenandwife Wrote: Sadly, I can't argue with a single word of what you just said. I'm trying to keep a positive outlook. "Addition by subtraction" with Bell/Brown and all that. But...

yeah me neither.  But there you have it.  They'll reach way down into the bargain bin and pull out the re-treads no one else wants.  They are lazy.  Why would they be watching Pirate's baseball at this time?  You think that's a wise use of time?  I'm pretty much done until Tomlin exits along with Colbert.  I can't wait to see the third rounder we draft with our 1st round pick this year.  Just like last year

I don't mind them watching baseball. At all. Not sure why that's an issue? I'm with Garrett in that regard. It's not hard to travel and be very productive. I do it all the time. Often, you're MORE productive outside of the office. I don't sweat that at all.

What I DO sweat is what seems to me like a lack of urgency from the team. Then again, the Steelers have ALWAYS seemed that way to me. Very methodical, often to their good, but sometimes to their detriment. Right now, I fear it's the latter. The clock is ticking. The last time, we went 21 years between franchise QBs. I don't wanna squander this opportunity and end up waiting another 21 years.
Rollers
Hall of Famer

03-14-2019, 02:30 AM

(03-14-2019, 12:27 AM)mcmillenandwife Wrote:
(03-13-2019, 11:00 PM)Rollers Wrote:
(03-13-2019, 10:42 PM)mcmillenandwife Wrote: Sadly, I can't argue with a single word of what you just said. I'm trying to keep a positive outlook. "Addition by subtraction" with Bell/Brown and all that. But...

I don't mind them watching baseball. At all. Not sure why that's an issue? I'm with Garrett in that regard. It's not hard to travel and be very productive. I do it all the time. Often, you're MORE productive outside of the office. I don't sweat that at all.

What I DO sweat is what seems to me like a lack of urgency from the team. Then again, the Steelers have ALWAYS seemed that way to me. Very methodical, often to their good, but sometimes to their detriment. Right now, I fear it's the latter. The clock is ticking. The last time, we went 21 years between franchise QBs. I don't wanna squander this opportunity and end up waiting another 21 years.
Yeah normally i wouldn't think much of it either.  but not this year.  This year is going to be one of the important years to this franchise.  With everything going on I don't like the optics at all.  You said a lack of urgency.  I view this as a lack of urgency.  They should all be hunkered down in whatever room they use for draft and free agency talks and getting it done.  not watching baseball this year.  Sorry it's how I feel.
Noll and Cowher teams no more
SmashMouth and Blitzburgh!

03-14-2019, 02:42 AM

By them watching baseball during the beginning of the free agency frenzy proves that they already decided not to be aggressive in free agency and are just gonna pick from the bottom of the talent barrel when the other teams are done.

Same old crap just a different year.
(This post was last modified: 03-14-2019, 02:42 AM by Noll and Cowher teams no more.)
Garrett Garlits
All Pro Veteran

03-14-2019, 06:32 AM

They have very little money thanks to AB's shenanigans, and they've never been big in free agency anyway. They're primarily a draft-and-develop team. it's been successful for them in the past, and they're betting that it will continue to be successful for them in the future. They don't know for sire that it will, but you don't know for sure that it won't. It comes down to a question of faith, and most people on this board have demonstrated that they have none in anything having to do with this team.

Again I ask: If you're one of those who criticize every move this team makes, how can you call yourself a true fan? Is there nothing positive about the Steeler experience anymore? Is the only reason left to hang on the foolish hope that Art II will fire the second-most successful regular season coach he's ever had, thereby going against the tradition that fans like you seem to crave?
Rollers
Hall of Famer

03-14-2019, 07:40 AM

(03-14-2019, 06:32 AM)Garrett Garlits Wrote: They have very little money thanks to AB's shenanigans, and they've never been big in free agency anyway. They're primarily a draft-and-develop team. it's been successful for them in the past, and they're betting that it will continue to be successful for them in the future. They don't know for sire that it will, but you don't know for sure that it won't. It comes down to a question of faith, and most people on this board have demonstrated that they have none in anything having to do with this team.

Again I ask: If you're one of those who criticize every move this team makes, how can you call yourself a true fan? Is there nothing positive about the Steeler experience anymore? Is the only reason left to hang on the foolish hope that Art II will fire the second-most successful regular season coach he's ever had, thereby going against the tradition that fans like you seem to crave?

yeah we need to keep that "regular season" coach.  3 playoff wins last 8 years.  Excellence in the Steelers way.   Love having great regular seasons that have turned into so many playoff wins lately.  We criticize because we are fans.  Most of us can see the failings of this organization year after year as they cling to an outmoded way of winning.  Of course we draft pretty low so that hurts.  It's not like the Pats that draft at the top of the league every year.  But then we can't expect that kind of success.  Not fair.  We'll keep a great "regular season" coach around for a long time though.  Good times
Crash
Hall of Famer

03-14-2019, 12:07 PM

Why can't Art fire Tomlin?

He fired Bruce Arians, told a HOF QB how to play his position and put a drunk on the payroll.

And we've been swimming in shit since.

Trades get AGREED TO, but not made all the time. Bill Parcells hates the Steelers to this day because he believes he had a deal in place after the Steelers offered him Plaxico Burress, for defensive end Shaun Ellis, and Chad Pennington DURING the 2000 draft.

The Steelers offered, the Jets agreed, and supposedly sent in their paperwork to the league.

Only to see the Steelers change their minds.
(This post was last modified: 03-14-2019, 12:45 PM by Crash.)
Garrett Garlits
All Pro Veteran

03-14-2019, 12:31 PM

Only with spoiled babies such as those on this board who demand Super Bowl wins like their counterparts demand milk at three in the morning would seventy regular season wins and three playoff wins be "swimming in shit". Try your whining and sniveling to a Browns or Raiders fan and see how far you get. Unlike most of you, I understand that Super Bowl appearances for all but a handful of dynasties (the current Patriots, the '70s Steelers, the '80s Niners) are rare and not to be expected every year, regardless of ow talented a team is. There are plenty of other talented teams who never won a Super Bowl, and some of them never even got close to one.

The only team whose results I'd take over the Steelers in the time frame you mention is New England, and that's only if the Rooney family owned the Pats instead of that pervert Kraft and Tomlin coached them instead of that soulless cheater Belichick. I'll take Brady over Ben, but just barely, and only if Gisele came with him and he promised not to deflate any footballs.
(This post was last modified: 03-14-2019, 12:31 PM by Garrett Garlits.)
RaynorShyne
Hall of Famer

03-14-2019, 12:32 PM

Guys:

Let's see what we field next year.

Imma-Need-(A Whole Hell Of a Lot Less Than I said I Did)-13 and Big Chesty are gone.

The Patriots typically win with less

Tomlin has shown he could have a HoF QB, the "Best OL in the NFL", the #1 RB, the #1 WR, a damn talented slot receiver, and couldn't make the playoffs.

Let's see how he does when he HAS to coach.
Crash
Hall of Famer

03-14-2019, 01:14 PM

Quote:Only with spoiled babies such as those on this board who demand Super Bowl wins like their counterparts demand milk at three in the morning would seventy regular season wins and three playoff wins be "swimming in shit".

Tomlin in five years went 55-25, two AFC titles and a ring.

Art Rooney II overruled him, and hired his drunken cuckold buddy to run the offense.

Just who's spoiled?

That would be Art Rooney II.
Crash
Hall of Famer

03-14-2019, 04:58 PM

Steelers sign Dontae Moncief two year deal.

Fast, but injured a lot. Steelers had interest in him as a rookie.

Now this is the kind of move they need to take chances on.
Rollers
Hall of Famer

03-14-2019, 08:20 PM

(03-14-2019, 04:58 PM)Crash Wrote: Steelers sign Dontae Moncief two year deal.  

Fast, but injured a lot.  Steelers had interest in him as a rookie.  

Now this is the kind of move they need to take chances on.

I really hope this signing works out.  He's got the potential.

03-14-2019, 09:04 PM

Moncrief never had a good qb throw to him so far when with the colts and jags. He should be thrilled to finally have one. Surprisingly good pick up!
Crash
Hall of Famer

03-14-2019, 11:10 PM

Why? Who does this man have pictures of?

https://twitter.com/JFowlerESPN/status/1...6388704257
Rollers
Hall of Famer

03-15-2019, 01:00 AM

(03-14-2019, 11:10 PM)Crash Wrote: Why?  Who does this man have pictures of?

https://twitter.com/JFowlerESPN/status/1...6388704257

just unbelievable
Crash
Hall of Famer

03-15-2019, 02:03 AM

Golden Tate is down to the Steelers and Pats

If they signed Tate? JJSS, Tate, Moncrief, and the just signed Eli Rogers would be an excellent top 4.

03-15-2019, 02:27 AM

(03-15-2019, 02:03 AM)Crash Wrote: Golden Tate is down to the Steelers and Pats

If they signed Tate?  JJSS, Tate, Moncrief, and the just signed Eli Rogers would be an excellent top 4.

I just saw that....

And if Washington turns out to be the receiver we hoped he would be then that position should not need to be addressed this year in the draft. IMO
Crash
Hall of Famer

03-15-2019, 03:58 AM

And apparently they are in on Justin Houston and may offer him today.

Then why pay Dupree and Chickello?
Chucktownsteeler
Hall of Famer

03-15-2019, 08:33 AM

Admittedly I know very little about Nelson but even the most vitriolic Steeler site had members posting this was a solid signing. He has to be an upgrade over Burns, who I hope would be given a short leash in camp.

I hope he pans out and the draft needs to concentrate on ILB, OLB, and WR.

Next - Minkah, #39!
  [Image: chucktown_sig_pic.jpg]
Rollers
Hall of Famer

03-15-2019, 09:22 AM

giants signed tate
Chucktownsteeler
Hall of Famer

03-18-2019, 11:28 PM

At least he didn't go to the Pats. I'm good with Moncrief, he has the speed that can take the top off and open up underneath for players like Washington and Switzer. Going to be an exciting offense.

Next - Minkah, #39!
  [Image: chucktown_sig_pic.jpg]
(This post was last modified: 03-18-2019, 11:28 PM by Chucktownsteeler.)