We will be.....
Noll and Cowher teams no more
SmashMouth and Blitzburgh!

03-14-2019, 03:00 AM

Competing with the Bengals for last place in the division with the way Cleveland and Baltimore are adding key pieces to their teams.

Gonna be a long year.  Pi_nervous
bbbooger
All Pro Veteran

03-14-2019, 05:44 AM

(03-14-2019, 03:00 AM)Noll and Cowher teams no more Wrote: Competing with the Bengals for last place in the division with the way Cleveland and Baltimore are adding key pieces to their teams.

Sad but true... So sad...
Crash
Hall of Famer

03-14-2019, 06:22 AM

I love Colbert: "We didn't do enough to replace Shazier"

So they extend Chickillo, and are now tying to extend Fort.

Like these guys are just going to magically turn INTO Shazier or something.
Chucktownsteeler
Hall of Famer

03-18-2019, 11:29 PM

We'll be drafting 2 maybe 3 LBs in April. Just hold tight.

Next - Minkah, #39!
  [Image: chucktown_sig_pic.jpg]
dbsfgyd1
Hall of Famer

03-21-2019, 09:41 AM

(03-14-2019, 03:00 AM)Noll and Cowher teams no more Wrote: Competing with the Bengals for last place in the division with the way Cleveland and Baltimore are adding key pieces to their teams.

Sure....what are you going to do if they don’t fold, and odds are they won’t?

Every stinking off season since I’ve been posting on this board for almost 20 years now, somebody posts one  of these  doom and gloom threads throughly discounting the talent on the squad. 

Truth be told, the player turnover across the board on an NFL team is about 20%. They are all basically starting from scratch. 

The Steelers are going to be just fine, but I will grant you the Browns did land some talent. And usually when you land a lot of high priced talent, you get an expected bump up in production, but it is mostly short lived as the team becomes more focused on money, namely who is getting paid what,  as opposed to team goals ( see Bell & Brown). 

The second thing with the Browns is Mayfield is now a known commodity. What he got away with last year, will not be happening this season. Can you say sophomore jinx?

Finally, Cleveland is going to be playing more marquee games and dealing with the nasty scheduling the Steelers have had to deal with for decades. Let’s see how they a  west coast Monday night game followed by a Sunday game against the best playing team in the league. Or worse yet, playing  a  west coast road game followed by a Thursday night game.

Last place, come on dude.
SteelThePain82
Hall of Famer

03-23-2019, 06:50 AM

(03-18-2019, 11:29 PM)Chucktownsteeler Wrote: We'll be drafting 2 maybe 3 LBs in April. Just hold tight.

Don't forget Strong Safety!
Tomlin must have no less than 10 of them on any given roster!
It's not like we could use a pure Free Safety when we can just try to convert Strong Safeties to play there!
Maybe there's a 3rd round Nose Tackle prospect that we can reach for in the 1st!  Laugh

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

RaynorShyne
Hall of Famer

03-23-2019, 07:39 AM

You guys have watched NFL football for more than 3 weeks, right?

The Browns? The last time they were decent was 1985.

They rebuild EVERY year
Krunch
Hall of Famer

03-23-2019, 11:09 PM

"We will be..."
  • Totally unprepared and flat for at least 3 out of 16 regular season games
  • Losing at least 2 games that should have been easy victories
  • In control of our own destiny where a victory ensures post-season play and lose miserably
  • Watching Patty-Cake Celebrations of routine plays instead of concentration on the game itself
  • Watching players concentrating more on Instagram Follows than practicing their craft
  • Hoisting a Participation Trophy
  • Knowing that 75% of the Players are there to win, the other 25% for fun and fame
  • Reading endless criticism that if you don't love mediocre performance you can't call yourself a Steeler Fan
"We will be..."  Watching another year of, "Good Enough is Good Enough" Tomlin/Colbert Football.

"Just give me a six-pack and 30 minutes to rest and lets go out and play 'em again!"  
  - Jack Lambert
(This post was last modified: 03-23-2019, 11:11 PM by Krunch.)
Rollers
Hall of Famer

03-23-2019, 11:47 PM

(03-23-2019, 11:09 PM)Krunch Wrote: "We will be..."
  • In control of our own destiny where a victory ensures post-season play and lose miserably
  • Watching Patty-Cake Celebrations of routine plays instead of concentration on the game itself
  • Watching players concentrating more on Instagram Follows than practicing their craft
  • Knowing that 75% of the Players are there to win, the other 25% for fun and fame
  • Reading endless criticism that if you don't love mediocre performance you can't call yourself a Steeler Fan
"We will be..."  Watching another year of, "Good Enough is Good Enough" Tomlin/Colbert Football.

I'm not that pessimistic at this point.  We need to show a little hope on this board or it gets really depressing.  I do not like Tomlin as head coach nor do I like Colbert as GM   but the owners obviously do so we have no choice but to dance with them at this point.  So fill up your dance card and have some hope I guess
Cali-Steeler
Hall of Famer

03-24-2019, 12:14 AM

Shitting bricks come January... Standard is the standard
Krunch
Hall of Famer

03-24-2019, 11:50 PM

(03-23-2019, 11:47 PM)Rollers Wrote:

I'm not that pessimistic at this point.  We need to show a little hope on this board or it gets really depressing.  I do not like Tomlin as head coach nor do I like Colbert as GM   but the owners obviously do so we have no choice but to dance with them at this point.  So fill up your dance card and have some hope I guess
You know Rollers, even as I wrote this I was actually hesitant to do so. Although it truly represents the history that I have come to expect, I have a glimmer of hope that just maybe with the Mega-Ego's departure's the remaining players just might step up to the plate and say, Enough is enough with this crap, let's concentrate on Football this season.

No way, no how, do I expect candy-ass Tomlin to be the catalyst for this.  If it comes, it will come internally from the players.  Maybe even from one or more of the recently signed veteran players.  It will come, "in spite" of management."

I am very hopeful that Steeler Football will make a return this year - time will tell.

"Just give me a six-pack and 30 minutes to rest and lets go out and play 'em again!"  
  - Jack Lambert
dbsfgyd1
Hall of Famer

03-25-2019, 09:26 AM

Good enough describes the Pirates.... hardly the Steelers.
Chucktownsteeler
Hall of Famer

03-26-2019, 12:00 AM

I'm more optimistic than I've been in a few years. It's addition thru subtraction with the 2 ass-clowns gone. A-B was a great talent on the field but highly disruptive off the field.

We have 10 draft picks which we won't utilize all of them. I look for some sort of movement upward in the draft, which is a great year for defensive players, WRs, and safeties.

Next - Minkah, #39!
Noll and Cowher teams no more
SmashMouth and Blitzburgh!

03-26-2019, 12:15 AM

Well I feel better after I originally posted this topic. The three FA additions that were added make me excited about the upcoming season.

So Dave, Chillax with the "Come on dude" Smile
Chucktownsteeler
Hall of Famer

03-26-2019, 12:28 AM

I agree, (3) solid, if not great additions in FA. This will allow the Steelers to concentrate on BPA in Round 1. I am starting to think of Devins will be gone, meaning no need to reach for a ILB in this round. Maybe if (1) of the TEs fall we nab them. Going to be very interesting indeed.

Next - Minkah, #39!
(This post was last modified: 03-26-2019, 12:28 AM by Chucktownsteeler.)
dbsfgyd1
Hall of Famer

03-26-2019, 11:43 AM

(03-26-2019, 12:15 AM)Noll and Cowher teams no more Wrote: Well I feel better after I originally posted this topic. The three FA additions that were added make me excited about the upcoming season.

Hey, we’re all entitled to our opinions.  Wavehello

Not sure if you noticed, my avatar is the team picture of the 1968 Steelers. Most of the posters here weren’t around back then or weren’t fans, but let me tell you, that was one el stinko of an NFL team if there ever was one. 

Chuck Noll was hired in the off season that year and had his first meeting  with the team. He said he spent considerable time reviewing game film and he now knows why the team was as bad as they were and how to fix it.  The team eagerly awaited the solution. 

Chuck fired off that the reason they were losing was they were not good enough, fast enough, strong enough, or skilled enough, and he was going to cut most of them. It took him five years to field a consistent winner, and that was with the best personnel department in the history of the NFL feeding his team drafting in early rounds.

This is hardly the case with the Steelers here in 2019. We’ve been fielding consistent  winning football for almost 20 years drafting in the bottom third of the draft. And there is no doubt the players are more thoroughly vetted across the board than they were in the 70s. 

The competition for quality players is more fierce than ever before. Think of this, Rocky Blier was drafted in the 16th round. Today, 7 rounds? 

Well, I may be a rose colored glasses wearing,Kool aid sippin’n yinzer, I’m thinking we are are going to do just fine.
Rollers
Hall of Famer

03-27-2019, 12:27 AM

(03-26-2019, 11:43 AM)dbsfgyd1 Wrote:
(03-26-2019, 12:15 AM)Noll and Cowher teams no more Wrote: Well I feel better after I originally posted this topic. The three FA additions that were added make me excited about the upcoming season.

Not sure if you noticed, my avatar is the team picture of the 1968 Steelers. Most of the posters here weren’t around back then or weren’t fans, but let me tell you, that was one el stinko of an NFL team if there ever was one. 

Chuck Noll was hired in the off season that year and had his first meeting  with the team. He said he spent considerable time reviewing game film and he now knows why the team was as bad as they were and how to fix it.  The team eagerly awaited the solution. 

Chuck fired off that the reason they were losing was they were not good enough, fast enough, strong enough, or skilled enough, and he was going to cut most of them. It took him five years to field a consistent winner, and that was with the best personnel department in the history of the NFL feeding his team drafting in early rounds.

This is hardly the case with the Steelers here in 2019. We’ve been fielding consistent  winning football for almost 20 years drafting in the bottom third of the draft. And there is no doubt the players are more thoroughly vetted across the board than they were in the 70s. 

The competition for quality players is more fierce than ever before. Think of this, Rocky Blier was drafted in the 16th round. Today, 7 rounds? 

Well, I may be a rose colored glasses wearing,Kool aid sippin’n yinzer, I’m thinking we are are going to do just fine.

The pats draft at the bottom pretty regularly as well. But they also make moves and take chances.  While I agree with a lot of what you say there are plenty of good football players out there especially when there are only 7 rounds.  We need to start finding them
dbsfgyd1
Hall of Famer

03-27-2019, 11:40 AM

(03-27-2019, 12:27 AM)Rollers Wrote:

The pats draft at the bottom pretty regularly as well. But they also make moves and take chances.  While I agree with a lot of what you say there are plenty of good football players out there especially when there are only 7 rounds.  We need to start finding them

Oh I agree about the Pats. You got to hand it to them. They make as many miscalculations as anybody else on player aquisition,  but they sure know when to cut bait when things don’t work out, or when to get maximum value out of a spent cartridge. Better than anybody in the history of the NFL.

BTW, Ever hear of a guy by the name of Ernie Adams? From what I’ve heard, he’s the savant of the operation. There was a very interesting article on him a few years back on ESPN.com. Not sure if it’s still available out there in cyberspace, but if you can find it, kind of a very interesting read.
Rollers
Hall of Famer

03-27-2019, 08:13 PM

http://www.espn.com/espn/eticket/story?page=adams
(03-27-2019, 11:40 AM)dbsfgyd1 Wrote:

Oh I agree about the Pats. You got to hand it to them. They make as many miscalculations as anybody else on player aquisition,  but they sure know when to cut bait when things don’t work out, or when to get maximum value out of a spent cartridge. Better than anybody in the history of the NFL.

BTW, Ever hear of a guy by the name of Ernie Adams? From what I’ve heard, he’s the savant of the operation. There was a very interesting article on him a few years back on ESPN.com. Not sure if it’s still available out there in cyberspace, but if you can find it, kind of a very interesting read.

dbsfgyd1
Hall of Famer

03-28-2019, 09:05 AM

(03-27-2019, 08:13 PM)Rollers Wrote: http://www.espn.com/espn/eticket/story?page=adams

Thanks Rollers. Comments anybody?
Rollers
Hall of Famer

03-28-2019, 09:45 AM

(03-28-2019, 09:05 AM)dbsfgyd1 Wrote:
(03-27-2019, 08:13 PM)Rollers Wrote: http://www.espn.com/espn/eticket/story?page=adams
(03-26-2019, 11:43 AM)dbsfgyd1 Wrote: Hey, we’re all entitled to our opinions.  Wavehello

Thanks Rollers. Comments anybody?

welcome.  I didn't understand a lot about him but he sounds really smart