NFL Owners meeting not fond of how Steelers handled Brown situation
Cali-Steeler
Hall of Famer

03-29-2019, 01:32 AM

This is interesting when they say an NFL Team  "Steelers" front office did not handle this situation well.

From the article >

"Instead, the Steelers inherited $21.12 million in dead money to deal Brown to Oakland in exchange for third- and fifth-round picks. Pittsburgh had Brown under contract for three more years at a total of $38.925 million. Now, Brown has a three-year deal with Oakland worth $50.125 million, including $30.125 million guaranteed.

Much of this was surprising from a well-respected franchise known for sound business"

Link >

http://www.espn.com/blog/pittsburgh-stee...-execs-say
(This post was last modified: 03-29-2019, 01:34 AM by Cali-Steeler.)
Chucktownsteeler
Hall of Famer

03-29-2019, 02:34 AM

Addition thru subtraction. Needed to happen. F the NFL. F Brown. F Bell.

We go deep in the play-offs next year. Write it down.

Next - Minkah, #39!
  [Image: chucktown_sig_pic.jpg]
Garrett Garlits
All Pro Veteran

03-29-2019, 04:33 AM

The Steelers already made a similar bet with Bell, and they not only lost, but were trounced. The sad truth is, legal contracts mean nothing to players who are bound and determined to get out of a situation. It's just a shame that the specifics of Bell's situation were such that they couldn't trade him like they traded AB.

If a player doesn't want to play with a certain team, then the team needs to get rid of them as soon as possible. We as fans just have to hope that they scout well enough not to choose players who could do this sort of thing.
(This post was last modified: 03-29-2019, 04:58 AM by Garrett Garlits.)
Chucktownsteeler
Hall of Famer

03-29-2019, 09:23 AM

(03-29-2019, 04:33 AM)Garrett Garlits Wrote: The Steelers already made a similar bet with Bell, and they not only lost, but were trounced. The sad truth is, legal contracts mean nothing to players who are bound and determined to get out of a situation. It's just a shame that the specifics of Bell's situation were such that they couldn't trade him like they traded AB.

If a player doesn't want to play with a certain team, then the team needs to get rid of them as soon as possible. We as fans just have to hope that they scout well enough not to choose players who could do this sort of thing.

I'm not sure the Steelers lost with either Brown or especially Bell. Bell ended up signing for less money and will never recoup what he lost. 

Both are malcontents and will be bitching next season as well, about something, I'm sure. Both were great regular season players that disappeared during the play-offs (save 1 game against a hap-hazard Dolphin team). 

We're better off without either one, I'm very excited about next season.

*Standard racist disclaimer

Next - Minkah, #39!
(This post was last modified: 03-29-2019, 09:24 AM by Chucktownsteeler.)
Garrett Garlits
All Pro Veteran

03-29-2019, 12:21 PM

Chuck,

I meant "lost" in the sense that they believed he'd eventually sign the tag and play at least part of the season because he cared about his teammates and the game of football. As we all know, he showed them differently.

From his quotes in the article, it may seem that John Harbaugh and other coaches are naïve or deliberately obtuse when it comes to the financial aspects of football. But if they worried too much about whether certain players would play their best or not because of their individual contract situations, you'd have a circus that would make what happened to the Steelers this past year look like kindergarten recess by comparison. The only thing they can do is assume that everyone is working toward the common goal of a Super Bowl until they're shown differently by the player involved. They may get burned by that assumption the way Tomlin was, but the alternative is just as bad if not worse.
(This post was last modified: 03-29-2019, 02:04 PM by Garrett Garlits.)
dbsfgyd1
Hall of Famer

03-29-2019, 12:32 PM

(03-29-2019, 01:32 AM)Cali-Steeler Wrote: This is interesting when they say an NFL Team  "Steelers" front office did not handle this situation well.

From the article >

"Instead, the Steelers inherited $21.12 million in dead money to deal Brown to Oakland in exchange for third- and fifth-round picks. Pittsburgh had Brown under contract for three more years at a total of $38.925 million. Now, Brown has a three-year deal with Oakland worth $50.125 million, including $30.125 million guaranteed.

Much of this was surprising from a well-respected franchise known for sound business"

Link >

http://www.espn.com/blog/pittsburgh-stee...-execs-say

Well, if the league is truly concerned that Steelers botched this, first of all, this situation should scare the crap out of them as this was  “Curt Flood” moment. True free agency has now come to the NFL. Secondly, the precedent has been set that player contracts are no longer binding. They are now at will arrangements. Finally, this tactic is not going away any time soon, it’s going to happen with increasing frequency.

Which brings me to the next point, the next CBA. If the Shield want to maintain a competitive balance, IMO, when a player decides he wants to sit out like Bell did, the contract should be frozen with zero pay, and said amount is credited back to the salary cap. If a player sits out, in order to complete the contractual obligation, he owes the team those games he missed before he can move on to the next team, or he or his new team should have to buy them back.

As for Browns tactic, give the teams the ability to suspend players without pay, and credit the withheld salary to the sal-cap. If he wants to leave, he needs to buy out, or his new team needs to buy the remaining value of the contract back, and those funds credited back to the sal-cap.
It make no sense to penalize a team when a player is poached from their team.
Garrett Garlits
All Pro Veteran

03-29-2019, 01:27 PM

Just to remind everyone, Bell wasn't under contract since he didn't sign the tender. He had no obligation to the Steelers whatsoever.
Chucktownsteeler
Hall of Famer

03-30-2019, 12:36 AM

(03-29-2019, 01:27 PM)Garrett Garlits Wrote: Just to remind everyone, Bell wasn't under contract since he didn't sign the tender. He had no obligation to the Steelers whatsoever.

Not exactly true, if the Steelers wanted to play hard ball with bell he owed them 6 games. I believe they correctly let this P.O.S. leave, along with Brown to held subside the circus atmosphere. What these ass-clowns don't realize is the Steelers will field a competitive team, year-in and year-out. Mean Joe, the Blond Bomber, Jack Splat, Donka, Hot Rod (this list could be a mile long) all left and the Steelers continued. We will be fine without the B-brother ass-clowns, mark my words. The name on the front of the jersey is more important than the name on the back. 

As Mr. Brister once said: "Write it down."

Next - Minkah, #39!
Garrett Garlits
All Pro Veteran

03-30-2019, 02:00 AM

Bell didn't owe them six games. That was proven later on, and the pundits who aid he did admitted that they read the rule wrong. Even if he had, though, forcing him to play just to maintain some illusion of control wouldn't have been worth the trouble. Ley the other tesms who worry about things like this happening to them clean up their own mess, if they can.
Chucktownsteeler
Hall of Famer

03-30-2019, 07:26 AM

He doesn't owe them nothing now, they took the high road and let the ass-clown walk. They also could have tagged him again.

The Steelers are better off without the circus ass-clown show in town. I predict a deep play-off run this year.

Write it down!

Next - Minkah, #39!
Rollers
Hall of Famer

03-30-2019, 10:26 AM

(03-30-2019, 07:26 AM)Chucktownsteeler Wrote: He doesn't owe them nothing now, they took the high road and let the ass-clown walk. They also could have tagged him again.

The Steelers are better off without the circus ass-clown show in town. I predict a deep play-off run this year.

Write it down!

I would take that bet in person
dbsfgyd1
Hall of Famer

03-30-2019, 10:50 AM

(03-30-2019, 10:26 AM)Rollers Wrote:
(03-30-2019, 07:26 AM)Chucktownsteeler Wrote: He doesn't owe them nothing now, they took the high road and let the ass-clown walk. They also could have tagged him again.

Write it down!

No trust? Lol!
Rollers
Hall of Famer

03-30-2019, 11:16 AM

(03-30-2019, 10:50 AM)dbsfgyd1 Wrote:
(03-30-2019, 10:26 AM)Rollers Wrote:

Write it down!

No trust? Lol!
none
Crash
Hall of Famer

03-31-2019, 12:02 PM

I will say this in Chuck's defense, history supports him.

Disgruntled Plax left?

Super Bowl.

Disgruntled Holmes left?

Super Bowl.

Disgruntled aME leaves?

????
mcmillenandwife
Administrator

04-01-2019, 10:19 PM

(03-31-2019, 12:02 PM)Crash Wrote: I will say this in Chuck's defense, history supports him.  

Disgruntled Plax left?

Super Bowl.  

Disgruntled Holmes left?

Super Bowl.  

Disgruntled aME leaves?

????

This has been my point all along regarding the offense. Addition by subtraction. 

The defense is my concern, not the offense. If we can make a few solid tweaks at LB and the secondary... watch out.
mcmillenandwife
Administrator

04-01-2019, 10:30 PM

(03-29-2019, 12:32 PM)dbsfgyd1 Wrote: Well, if the league is truly concerned that Steelers botched this, first of all, this situation should scare the crap out of them as this was  “Curt Flood” moment. True free agency has now come to the NFL. Secondly, the precedent has been set that player contracts are no longer binding. They are now at will arrangements. Finally, this tactic is not going away any time soon, it’s going to happen with increasing frequency.

Which brings me to the next point, the next CBA. If the Shield want to maintain a competitive balance, IMO, when a player decides he wants to sit out like Bell did, the contract should be frozen with zero pay, and said amount is credited back to the salary cap. If a player sits out, in order to complete the contractual obligation, he owes the team those games he missed before he can move on to the next team, or he or his new team should have to buy them back.

As for Browns tactic, give the teams the ability to suspend players without pay, and credit the withheld salary to the sal-cap. If he wants to leave, he needs to buy out, or his new team needs to buy the remaining value of the contract back, and those funds credited back to the sal-cap.

I agree, the fact that a contract is clearly no longer binding should make the NFL very nervous. I also agree that teams need the ability to protect themselves against psychotic AB-style tactics to get out of a contract (i.e., your suggestions that teams have the ability to suspend players without pay and defer the cap hit to any team who ultimately picks up the player). These moves would help prevent most future bullshit money grabs by selfish players under contract. 

Say what you want about Bell... yes, he let his teammates down and what he did makes him look dumber than a box of rocks, but at least he didn't steal from the team. 

AB is a cancer, a liar, a traitor and a thief. Ultimately, I think he'll prove to be a fraud as a player as well. Having Ben MADE him, not the other way around. It will be fun to watch him turn on David Carr.
Chucktownsteeler
Hall of Famer

04-01-2019, 11:18 PM

(04-01-2019, 10:30 PM)mcmillenandwife Wrote:
(03-29-2019, 12:32 PM)dbsfgyd1 Wrote: Well, if the league is truly concerned that Steelers botched this, first of all, this situation should scare the crap out of them as this was  “Curt Flood” moment. True free agency has now come to the NFL. Secondly, the precedent has been set that player contracts are no longer binding. They are now at will arrangements. Finally, this tactic is not going away any time soon, it’s going to happen with increasing frequency.

I agree, the fact that a contract is clearly no longer binding should make the NFL very nervous. I also agree that teams need the ability to protect themselves against psychotic AB-style tactics to get out of a contract (i.e., your suggestions that teams have the ability to suspend players without pay and defer the cap hit to any team who ultimately picks up the player). These moves would help prevent most future bullshit money grabs by selfish players under contract. 

Say what you want about Bell... yes, he let his teammates down and what he did makes him look dumber than a box of rocks, but at least he didn't steal from the team. 

AB is a cancer, a liar, a traitor and a thief. Ultimately, I think he'll prove to be a fraud as a player as well. Having Ben MADE him, not the other way around. It will be fun to watch him turn on David Carr.

Pretty much spot on. I look for good things from this team in the upcoming. Who knows what the draft will bring, with 10 picks for the first time in a while I look for some sort of package to move up and snag and impact player, day 1.

Next - Minkah, #39!
RaynorShyne
Hall of Famer

04-07-2019, 04:44 AM

(04-01-2019, 10:19 PM)mcmillenandwife Wrote:
(03-31-2019, 12:02 PM)Crash Wrote: I will say this in Chuck's defense, history supports him.  

Disgruntled Plax left?

Super Bowl.  

Disgruntled Holmes left?

Super Bowl.  

Disgruntled aME leaves?

????

This has been my point all along regarding the offense. Addition by subtraction. 

The defense is my concern, not the offense. If we can make a few solid tweaks at LB and the secondary... watch out.

This is a year we need to seriously think about moving up (IMO way up) in the draft to get 'that' impact LB
bksteeler
All Pro Veteran

04-07-2019, 08:17 PM

Not a fan of Bell or Brown. But the honest truth is a contract has NEVER been binding in the NFL for players. The teams release players all the time before a contract is up. So for fans and owners to complain about how the players don't fulfill their contracts is a little silly in my mind. It has to go both ways, and it clearly doesn't. Even NFL coaches have fully guaranteed contracts. If they are let go, the owners still pay them. Not so with the players. That's one thing I agree with the players on.
mcmillenandwife
Administrator

04-07-2019, 10:39 PM

(04-07-2019, 08:17 PM)bksteeler Wrote: Not a fan of Bell or Brown. But the honest truth is a contract has NEVER been binding in the NFL for players. The teams release players all the time before a contract is up. So for fans and owners to complain about how the players don't fulfill their contracts is a little silly in my mind. It has to go both ways, and it clearly doesn't. Even NFL coaches have fully guaranteed contracts. If they are let go, the owners still pay them. Not so with the players. That's one thing I agree with the players on.

Valid point.
Chucktownsteeler
Hall of Famer

04-09-2019, 12:16 AM

Saw an article Detroit wants a partner to trade down in Round 1 and pick up an extra pick. That's about where we would need to be to snag Devin White. Not sure it will happen, but one can hope.

Next - Minkah, #39!
mcmillenandwife
Administrator

04-09-2019, 12:22 PM

(04-09-2019, 12:16 AM)Chucktownsteeler Wrote: Saw an article Detroit wants a partner to trade down in Round 1 and pick up an extra pick. That's about where we would need to be to snag Devin White. Not sure it will happen, but one can hope.

That would make my offseason.
Rollers
Hall of Famer

04-09-2019, 08:06 PM

(04-09-2019, 12:16 AM)Chucktownsteeler Wrote: Saw an article Detroit wants a partner to trade down in Round 1 and pick up an extra pick. That's about where we would need to be to snag Devin White. Not sure it will happen, but one can hope.

I think Devon White will be another Jones or Dupree.
mcmillenandwife
Administrator

04-09-2019, 11:35 PM

(04-09-2019, 08:06 PM)Rollers Wrote:

I think Devon White will be another Jones or Dupree.

Maybe. Maybe not. The draft is always a roll of the dice.
Chucktownsteeler
Hall of Famer

04-10-2019, 01:06 AM

Devin White (LSU) is an inside line-backer and his stock is rising as we speak. Correct - the draft is always a roll of the dice, not an exact science. I wouldn't lose any sleep if somehow we got Devin White. However, probably not going to happen.

Next - Minkah, #39!
Chucktownsteeler
Hall of Famer

04-10-2019, 01:10 AM

With 10 draft picks I think this year's Steeler's draft may just be the toughest to predict that I can recall. They could actually go so many ways I may not venture a Mock 2.0. Theoretically there should be many great picks available at #20, however they could package a few picks and move up.

Outside of QB and RB I could see them going to any position at #1. If either Iowa T.E. is there it wouldn't surprise me if they selected them. I could also easily see a CB, ILB, DE, or WR being high on their boards.

Tough draft to mock, no doubt.

Next - Minkah, #39!