1977 Steelers 10 at Bengals 17
mcmillenandwife
Administrator

05-18-2017, 03:55 PM

1977 Steelers 10 at Bengals 17

Second half only of game played on a frozen field in bitterly cold zero-degree weather (wind chill was 17 below zero). Video begins in the 3rd quarter with Steelers pinned in the shadow of their own goal post clinging to a 10-7 lead. Following a Steeler punt, Anderson hits Billy Brooks for a 57-yard bomb, but the Steelers stiffen and hold Cinci to a FG. On the ensuing kickoff, Jim Smith (filling in for an injured Lynn Swann) coughs up the ball and the Bengals recover. Ken Anderson immediately hits Pat McInally for a shocking 43-yard TD bomb, Cinci's second score in 15 seconds. Pittsburgh fights 'til the end but runs out of time and downs.
Unregistered

05-28-2017, 06:33 AM

Very nice footage from an ice cold Riverfront in '77. It was cool to see "Spiderman" Jimmy Allen recover that fumble while wearing the full knitted facemask. Some guys had to go to the locker room due to frostbite. It was interesting to see Bob Trumpy in action and also nice to hear Curt Gowdy and John Brodie again. Great memories!
Unregistered

06-14-2017, 04:40 AM

First of all, thanks for uploading all these Steelers games.

According to the Steelers media guide, this is still the coldest game that the Steelers have played in their history (it was 2 above zero at kick off).

I noticed something a bit odd with this game in regards to the set up with the sidelines. The Steelers and the Bengals were on the opposite sidelines they would normally be at Riverfront Stadium. In other words, the Bengals were on the visitor's sideline and the Steelers were on the home sideline.
mcmillenandwife
Administrator

06-14-2017, 08:08 AM

(06-14-2017, 04:40 AM)Guest Wrote: I noticed something a bit odd with this game in regards to the set up with the sidelines. The Steelers and the Bengals were on the opposite sidelines they would normally be at Riverfront Stadium. In other words, the Bengals were on the visitor's sideline and the Steelers were on the home sideline.

Wow! Very interesting! I wonder if they did that so they could grab a little warmth from the sunshine on that side while keeping the Steelers in the shade?
thespiritof1976
Starting Lineup

06-28-2017, 02:36 AM

This was the day the my Bucs got their first win ever. 0-26. Beat the Saints 33-14. Poor Hank Stram. The Bucs beat the Cardinals the next week in Tampa and they stormed the field and tore down the goalposts.

Don Coryell and Hank Stram were both fired and Johnny Carson had to find someone else to make fun of.
mcmillenandwife
Administrator

06-28-2017, 06:14 AM

(06-28-2017, 02:36 AM)thespiritof1976 Wrote: Don Coryell and Hank Stram were both fired and Johnny Carson had to find someone else to make fun of.

Laugh

I've only known one other Buccaneers fan in my life, and strangely, he was one of my best friends growing up in Ohio. Dave McIntire had a real (or as real as you could get in those days) Tampa Bay Bucs helmet that I bought from him for $25 in 1981. I immediately peeled off all the decals and spray painted it black to make a Steelers helmet. I tried the spray paint the facemask, too, and ruined it because the paint never dried right on the rubberized coating. Yes, I was an idiot.  Laugh So was Dave, because his parents were furious that he sold it to me for only $20 and they demanded it back, but I'd already destroyed it by painting it so they said I could keep it and grounded him.  Laugh  Anyway, I had to buy a new facemask, and the only real one I could find looked like Kenny Stabler's facemask (which pissed me off). I eventually gave the helmet to the little brother of a girl I was dating my senior year, thinking he would like it. He took it, but he couldn't have cared less.  Nerd When I broke up with the girl, I tried to convince her to give my helmet back. No dice.   Eyes

That's my Tampa Bay Buccaneers story for the day.  Pi_bigsmile
Crash
All Pro Veteran

06-28-2017, 11:57 AM

Hahahahaha

That's hilarious.

I liked the Bucs when Hugh Green started playing for them.
thespiritof1976
Starting Lineup

06-29-2017, 02:22 AM

(06-28-2017, 06:14 AM)mcmillenandwife Wrote:
(06-28-2017, 02:36 AM)thespiritof1976 Wrote: Don Coryell and Hank Stram were both fired and Johnny Carson had to find someone else to make fun of.

Laugh

I've only known one other Buccaneers fan in my life, and strangely, he was one of my best friends growing up in Ohio. Dave McIntire had a real (or as real as you could get in those days) Tampa Bay Bucs helmet that I bought from him for $25 in 1981. I immediately peeled off all the decals and spray painted it black to make a Steelers helmet. I tried the spray paint the facemask, too, and ruined it because the paint never dried right on the rubberized coating. Yes, I was an idiot.  Laugh So was Dave, because his parents were furious that he sold it to me for only $20 and they demanded it back, but I'd already destroyed it by painting it so they said I could keep it and grounded him.  Laugh  Anyway, I had to buy a new facemask, and the only real one I could find looked like Kenny Stabler's facemask (which pissed me off). I eventually gave the helmet to the little brother of a girl I was dating my senior year, thinking he would like it. He took it, but he couldn't have cared less.  Nerd When I broke up with the girl, I tried to convince her to give my helmet back. No dice.   Eyes

That's my Tampa Bay Buccaneers story for the day.  Pi_bigsmile

Man, you should read about ALL of the insane stories with that team over the years.

Geez, talk about a team with a wacky, "you just can't make this stuff up" kind of lore.

Out of all of the teams that started since the merger, the Bucs, BY FAR, have the most interesting and colorful history and cast of characters.

In fact, I can probably post a strange, funny story about them every day here, lol....

With that said, here is one:

Booker Reese (do a search on him, what a FUBAR that was) had a cold in 1982. He went and got some over the counter stuff from the corner drug store. He said he wasn't feeling any better though. One of the other Bucs players played a cruel trick on him and told him that since those were "Cold tablets they needed to be refrigerated in order to work" so he went and put them in the fridge, thinking that they would kill his cold if the tablets themselves were cold.

He wasn't very bright and it is a microcosm how the NFL and many teams didn't have the support system for these young guys coming out of college.

Another one was how cheap skate SOB Hugh Culverhouse charged his players for soda's out of the soda machine.

And yet another one was how when Buddy Ryan went to interview for the HC job in early 1992 he came prepared with a large binder book that detailed his plans to upgrade the entire organization, from player development, to offseason training, to scouting. He said he had a five year plan for the Bucs to win the Super Bowl.

Hugh Culverhouse told him, "Don't even think about winning the Lombardi Trophy here, those are too expensive."

Do a search for "Tales from the Bucs sidelines". A great book with lots of wacky stories - and yet there are a lot more that are NOT fit for print, what with all of the, ahem, "Gentleman's Clubs" in Tampa. (Warren Sapp called one of them his "office", lol)....
thespiritof1976
Starting Lineup

06-29-2017, 02:24 AM

(06-28-2017, 11:57 AM)Crash Wrote: Hahahahaha  

That's hilarious.  

I liked the Bucs when Hugh Green started playing for them.

His talents were wasted (IMO) after Doug Williams left. Everything went to hell after that.
mcmillenandwife
Administrator

06-29-2017, 02:56 AM

(06-29-2017, 02:22 AM)thespiritof1976 Wrote: Booker Reese (do a search on him, what a FUBAR that was) had a cold in 1982. He went and got some over the counter stuff from the corner drug store. He said he wasn't feeling any better though. One of the other Bucs players played a cruel trick on him and told him that since those were "Cold tablets they needed to be refrigerated in order to work" so he went and put them in the fridge, thinking that they would kill his cold if the tablets themselves were cold.

He wasn't very bright and it is a microcosm how the NFL and many teams didn't have the support system for these young guys coming out of college.

Laugh

Wait... so you're telling me I don't have to pour cough syrup over pancakes first???   Pi_bigsmile