Preseason game 2
Noll and Cowher teams no more
SmashMouth and Blitzburgh!

08-19-2019, 08:41 PM

Not sure how many of you saw week 2 action. I will tell you this, Bud Dupree was a beast. Tuitt and Heyward did not play but the pressure both Dupree and Watt had along with JWobble had shown shades of dominating defensive front past.

Barron is as quick at MLB as advertised. He along with the speed of Bush should be able to handle any TE or back opposing teams throw at us. This defense plays at 100mph. I'm excited for the regular season. Defense was flying around wreaking havoc and forcing turnovers.

James Washington's week one domination was not a fluke. He had just as good if not better week 2.

Johnson had a great first game with two tds, one that was called back because of a bogus offensive pass interference call that was challenged and lost but everybody watching the game thought there was no penalty there except the refs who apprently were not watching the play live or in the replay booth. LOL

Mason Rudolph looked like a veteran with the first team. Had great pocket awareness and made good decisions. He really elevated himself so far this year compared to his rookie year.

Dobbs made a few great throws but also made some head scratching throws along with a boneheaded interception in the red zone.

Layne played ten times better than he did in preseason one. Looks like he is more confident with real time game speed.

Samuels is proving that he can be a legit feature back. God forbid if Conners misses any time I feel that the run game wont miss a beat. He looks quicker and faster than last season which proves all the offseason work he did to improve in those areas payed off.

Eli Rogers had a great outing also. He looks healthier than ever.

Moncrief had one reception that resulted in a fumble. Gonna give him a pass on this one. He was hit by multiple defenders and he is coming off a finger injury. Not sure exactly if the finger had any part in it or just the aggressive tackle.

Delvin Hodges just has "IT". Man I would love to see him behind center with the first team offense. If he does not make the 53 we will lose him and read about him succeeding with another team. Gotta find a way to keep him on the roster. I'd take him over Dobbs. (not hating on Dobbs just feel Hodges has more to offer and seems further along as a rookie over Dobbs in his third year.) Can't over look Hodges potential upside. I think Dobbs is what he is and his ceiling is topped.
(This post was last modified: 08-19-2019, 08:45 PM by Noll and Cowher teams no more.)
Chucktownsteeler
Hall of Famer

08-20-2019, 05:35 AM

Pretty much agree with the above. Connor and Snell disappointing so far. Clearly Rudolph is "head-and-shoulders" above Dobbs, no doubt. Tomlin says he has not separated himself from Dobbs as of yet. If I'm Art II or Tomlin my QBs. would be Ben, Mason, and Devlin. I'd try for a draft pick for Dobbs (or make him a slash player, although I don't think we have the roster space luxury).

The defense will be better and faster and we will be cutting players that will end up on other rosters.

Next - Minkah, #39!
  [Image: chucktown_sig_pic.jpg]
(This post was last modified: 08-20-2019, 05:44 AM by Chucktownsteeler.)
Noll and Cowher teams no more
SmashMouth and Blitzburgh!

08-20-2019, 08:46 PM

(08-20-2019, 05:35 AM)Chucktownsteeler Wrote: Pretty much agree with the above. Connor and Snell disappointing so far. Clearly Rudolph is "head-and-shoulders" above Dobbs, no doubt. Tomlin says he has not separated himself from Dobbs as of yet. If I'm Art II or Tomlin my QBs. would be Ben, Mason, and Devlin. I'd try for a draft pick for Dobbs (or make him a slash player, although I don't think we have the roster space luxury).

The defense will be better and faster and we will be cutting players that will end up on other rosters.

Have you watched both games? Conner ran hard and was productive in his very limited time on the field. 
As for Snell, would love to see him with the first team o-line. He has shown that he can catch out of the backfield and Tomlin put him in on a few situational plays (4th and one for example) and got a first down with tough up the middle running. He also looked good on special teams with a couple great tackles and his pass protection against the blitz is not bad so far this early in his career.

Dobbs is not anywhere as athletic as Kordell or Randle El were and I doubt he would be NFL level productive at any other position besides backup QB.

Like to add to my original post that Artie Burns looked like he might have a shot as a starter instead of just a depth player. Nice knowing we have enough capable CB's on the roster.

Also Mike Hilton played well when he was placed at the FS position.
(This post was last modified: 08-20-2019, 09:02 PM by Noll and Cowher teams no more.)
Chucktownsteeler
Hall of Famer

08-21-2019, 05:19 AM

Lakey,

I watched the first game and the 1st half of the 2nd game. I don't think Connor ran the 2nd half. Not a big Connor fan, I hope he proves me wrong. He suffers from fumbleitis and is also a China doll. I coined the term for him "ChiCon".

Hilton is a Wildman and Artie looks much improved. Actually pulling for Burns, a stand-up man.

Bush held out for injury to shoulder, I am hoping this isn't a harbinger of things to come. Looking forward to Barron as well.

Next - Minkah, #39!
  [Image: chucktown_sig_pic.jpg]
dbsfgyd1
Hall of Famer

08-22-2019, 01:05 PM

(08-20-2019, 08:46 PM)^Noll and Cowher teams no more Wrote:
(08-20-2019, 05:35 AM)Chucktownsteeler Wrote: Pretty much agree with the above. Connor and Snell disappointing so far. Clearly Rudolph is "head-and-shoulders" above Dobbs, no doubt. Tomlin says he has not separated himself from Dobbs as of yet. If I'm Art II or Tomlin my QBs. would be Ben, Mason, and Devlin. I'd try for a draft pick for Dobbs (or make him a slash player, although I don't think we have the roster space luxury).

Have you watched both games? Conner ran hard and was productive in his very limited time on the field. 
As for Snell, would love to see him with the first team o-line. He has shown that he can catch out of the backfield and Tomlin put him in on a few situational plays (4th and one for example) and got a first down with tough up the middle running. He also looked good on special teams with a couple great tackles and his pass protection against the blitz is not bad so far this early in his career.

Dobbs is not anywhere as athletic as Kordell or Randle El were and I doubt he would be NFL level productive at any other position besides backup QB.

Like to add to my original post that Artie Burns looked like he might have a shot as a starter instead of just a depth player. Nice knowing we have enough capable CB's on the roster.

Also Mike Hilton played well when he was placed at the FS position.

I have watched both game several times. Pretty much agree with your whole post. I too would like to see Snell run behind the #1 OL. What I’ve seen of him running behind the #2s is that he’s got  a serious case of the slows. Great kid, outstanding personality, but if he doesn’t kick it in, he’s going to be on the practice squad.