Not just Tomlin and other coaching issues...
Noll and Cowher teams no more
SmashMouth and Blitzburgh!

09-10-2019, 03:22 AM

I know that most Steelers fans, including myself, are disgusted over the lack of preparation the coaches have had with last nights game and not to mention many other games in the past. 

Aside from the defense last night not executing and giving up third down plays and big plays for touchdowns, does anybody else think that attention needs to turn to the offense and the most important position?  Does anybody besides me think Ben needs to be on a short leash now?

A lot of the plays that were called from the sidelines were changed at the line of scrimmage by Ben and he failed to produce anything positive. Ben seems to play his best in the hurry up offense that only involves plays he selects and while in the past the no huddle worked out for the positive, the offense also had more playmakers on the field than was fielded last night.

Maybe it might be time to consider a changing of the guard at qb. Now before I get bashed let me say that I'm a huge Ben fan since day one but I feel that he has been given to much freedom to call his own shots. I think if Rudolph was the starter, the offense would be forced to play the call from the sidelines with very minimal audible choices and the young players on offense can concentrate on their basic task per play. 

Any thoughts?
mcmillenandwife
Administrator

09-10-2019, 04:16 AM

(09-10-2019, 03:22 AM)Noll and Cowher teams no more Wrote: I know that most Steelers fans, including myself, are disgusted over the lack of preparation the coaches have had with last nights game and not to mention many other games in the past. 

Aside from the defense last night not executing and giving up third down plays and big plays for touchdowns, does anybody else think that attention needs to turn to the offense and the most important position?  Does anybody besides me think Ben needs to be on a short leash now?

A lot of the plays that were called from the sidelines were changed at the line of scrimmage by Ben and he failed to produce anything positive. Ben seems to play his best in the hurry up offense that only involves plays he selects and while in the past the no huddle worked out for the positive, the offense also had more playmakers on the field than was fielded last night.

Maybe it might be time to consider a changing of the guard at qb. Now before I get bashed let me say that I'm a huge Ben fan since day one but I feel that he has been given to much freedom to call his own shots. I think if Rudolph was the starter, the offense would be forced to play the call from the sidelines with very minimal audible choices and the young players on offense can concentrate on their basic task per play. 

Any thoughts?

I appreciate you trying to think out of the box, but of all the concerns we have, QB is the least of them. 

Envision how putting Ben under center makes the following teams instant favorites to get to the Super Bowl:
  • Chicago - Sweet Mary, can you imagine that team with Ben under center? I can. Think 2008 Steelers.
  • LA Rams: Jared Goff is their weak link. Great defense, great RB. Ben would put them over the top.
  • Minnesota: See my comments on Chicago and LA. 
I can count the teams on one hand who's postseason stock wouldn't rise exponentially by adding Ben to their roster.

I can tell you this with SUPREME confidence: Without Ben, the '19 Steelers are going NOWHERE. The thought of even a .500 season with Rudolph under center is laughable. My suggestion: Pray Ben is able to stay healthy this year. He's the biggest (maybe only) reason I still believe we have a shot and a successful year.
bbbooger
All Pro Veteran

09-10-2019, 05:08 AM

Not nearly enough offensive talent surrounding him... and he knows it... and his body language speaks volumes!
Let the rebuild begin... (I know we don’t like to hear the “R” work around here, but its become inevitable.) Exactly zero offensive playmakers aside from JuJu, and While I really like the kid I’m not at-all convinced he’s ready for the pressure that comes with being WR1.
Chucktownsteeler
Hall of Famer

09-10-2019, 05:25 AM

Very good post. I guess I have come to the realization that the NE Patriots are just a better ran, coached, and have better players and system than we do. The trio of Kraft, Belicheck, and Brady have an insatiable appetite to win. Look at Brady, 42-years old, 6-Lombardi's and his thirst for more is unquenched. When he was on the sidle-line he was huddled with Josh McDaniels (up over 20 points) reviewing the notes and plays in-game. The score wasn't nearly indicative of how lop-sided this game was.

The old saying goes: The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expectiong different results. Until something major changes (and I doubt it will) expect more of the same. We still stand a decent chance at the North title but there is no way we knock off NE with this current crew. I accept that.

It's odd to me, last year the Ravens brass told Harbaugh he was being replaced at years end. He went and ran 7 or 8 straight victories and got into the playoffs. To me there is little to no accountability from the coaches tot he very last player on the roster.

A little off topic but a few years back I was watching a game with Peyton Manning at QB. We went something like 7for7 on the opening drive and knocked it in for a TD. It was a near perfect flawless drive. While him team was on defense he was huddled with the OC reviewing the previous plays. Oddly, all I ever see frm Ben is him standing on the sideline, baseball hat on backwards with his arms folded. Maybe a little in-game coaching would help, if Brady and Manning can do it, so can Ben.

Keep in mind, this was a tough ask, first game and all, but to me the performance, execution, and planning were not there.

Next - Minkah, #39!
  [Image: chucktown_sig_pic.jpg]
(This post was last modified: 09-10-2019, 05:28 AM by Chucktownsteeler.)
bbbooger
All Pro Veteran

09-10-2019, 05:37 AM

(09-10-2019, 05:25 AM)Chucktownsteeler Wrote: ...

The old saying goes: The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expectiong different results. Until something major changes (and I doubt it will) expect more of the same. We still stand a decent chance at the North title but there is no way we knock off NE with this current crew. I accept that.

I've said it before in this forum:  Tomlin is the embodiment of that saying!  His stubborn arrogance (or is it arrogant stubbornness...) will keep producing the same tired results as long as he's here.  Its becoming harder and harder for me to maintain respect for the organization I used to hold in the very-highest regard.  I believe Dan Rooney's quiet leadership is missed far more than most recognize.  Art ain't Dan!
Noll and Cowher teams no more
SmashMouth and Blitzburgh!

09-16-2019, 08:55 PM

(09-10-2019, 03:22 AM)Noll and Cowher teams no more Wrote: I know that most Steelers fans, including myself, are disgusted over the lack of preparation the coaches have had with last nights game and not to mention many other games in the past. 

Any thoughts?

First I'd like to say that I hope Ben's MRI shows no severe damage to his elbow.

Secondly, does anyone here have a second thought after seeing how smoothly and different the offense ran with Mason at QB?