Offensive Line
dbsfgyd1
Hall of Famer

09-16-2019, 07:07 AM

Anybody missing Munchack?...Boy, these guys are playing like crap. Other than the secondary STILL not understanding that a Tight End is an eligible receiver, this group is the biggest disappointment on the team. The drop off in performance since last year is profound.
bbbooger
Hall of Famer

09-16-2019, 07:25 AM

OLine 's been overrated for a number of years now
mcmillenandwife
Administrator

09-16-2019, 08:37 AM

I agree they have been somewhat overrated, but I don't think the problem is with the O-line. It's our receiving corps and a lack of QB/WR chemistry. 

Receivers can't get open and we can't stretch the field, so defenders can stack up against the run. Despite the injury, Ben hasn't been getting killed back there. There were multiple times when he had 6, 7, 8 seconds to throw the ball today and nobody got open. That's not on the O-line.
bbbooger
Hall of Famer

09-16-2019, 09:38 AM

Agreed, pass protection has been acceptable to good, BUT, if you can't get me Xand1 more often than not (or in their case... Ever...) you're not good enough, period!
dbsfgyd1
Hall of Famer

09-22-2019, 04:21 AM

(09-16-2019, 08:37 AM)mcmillenandwife Wrote: I agree they have been somewhat overrated, but I don't think the problem is with the O-line. It's our receiving corps and a lack of QB/WR chemistry. 

Receivers can't get open and we can't stretch the field, so defenders can stack up against the run. Despite the injury, Ben hasn't been getting killed back there. There were multiple times when he had 6, 7, 8 seconds to throw the ball today and nobody got open. That's not on the O-line.

Your not stretching the field when your QB can’t throw the ball 20 yards down field... It was obvious in the next to the last preseason game, when Ben threw exactly one ball downfield with  authority, then played the Pats game much the same, there was a problem.
mcmillenandwife
Administrator

09-22-2019, 05:17 AM

(09-22-2019, 04:21 AM)dbsfgyd1 Wrote:
(09-16-2019, 08:37 AM)mcmillenandwife Wrote: I agree they have been somewhat overrated, but I don't think the problem is with the O-line. It's our receiving corps and a lack of QB/WR chemistry. 

Your not stretching the field when your QB can’t throw the ball 20 yards down field... It was obvious in the next to the last preseason game, when Ben threw exactly one ball downfield with  authority, then played the Pats game much the same, there was a problem.

Not sure what you're saying here. Regardless of the whether the problem was Ben's arm or the WR's not getting open, that's not the fault of the O-line. I'm not saying they're playing great, but I am saying I don't think the O-line is anywhere near the top of the list in terms of poor performance this year. There's a long line of disappointment and underachievement ahead of them.

I'm a little bit skeptical of all the hindsight statements I'm suddenly hearing about Ben's arm being an "obvious" problem coming into the season. I heard some of that last year early in the season (and in the preseason) and the guy thew 675 times for over 5100 yards. Yes, something clearly went wrong last week because he's having surgery. But up until that point, I didn't see him struggling to throw the deep ball in terms of distance or velocity. The timing seemed off, but I saw mostly overthrows, not under throws. Arm strength didn't seem to be an issue, and I think he had plenty of zip on the ball. Guys just a) weren't getting open, and b) Moncrief.  Embarassed
dbsfgyd1
Hall of Famer

09-24-2019, 10:12 AM

There was one pass in the preseason to Juju. The rest were within 5 yards of the LOS.

In the Pats game he through two lolly pops way down field to Washington, another sign he was having issues with arm strength. Normally he would have drilled it. Washington clearly had his man beat.

As confirmed by the local media, Ben had every other day off and his elbow wrapped in ice during the preseason.

Look, no doubt he is a warrior, but this should have been addressed in camp and just maybe this surgery might have been unnecessary.

As for OL, there is no push on running plays. I was listening to the local radio cast. Tunch, Wolfe as homers, politely on several occasions offered words to the effect that the OL is playing to the level of a crap sandwich. Considering it’s their job to sell the Steeler brand, they sure don’t have much good to say about this unit.
(This post was last modified: 09-24-2019, 10:13 AM by dbsfgyd1.)