Can't stand to listen to Tomlin
Rollers
Hall of Famer

09-16-2019, 11:05 AM

anymore.  I've started his post game presser twice and just can't bring myself to listen anymore.  He's completely lost.  What he says has no connection to reality and he never says anything substantive about the game.  We didn't make the plays,,, we had our chances...  we'll own it    we understand the negativity and the questions he gets from the people at the presser are softballs.  Just lob them up there and accept whatever he says.  I'm done with it
mcmillenandwife
Administrator

09-16-2019, 11:45 AM

(09-16-2019, 11:05 AM)Rollers Wrote: anymore.  I've started his post game presser twice and just can't bring myself to listen anymore.  He's completely lost.  What he says has no connection to reality and he never says anything substantive about the game.  We didn't make the plays,,, we had our chances...  we'll own it    we understand the negativity and the questions he gets from the people at the presser are softballs.  Just lob them up there and accept whatever he says.  I'm done with it

I haven't listened to a Tomlin presser in years. Even when I was still a supporter, I just couldn't take the fluff. It's just the nature of the beast, I suppose. Fluff questions and canned answers. 

I know you don't wanna hear this, but I don't believe poor coaching was the issue today.
bbbooger
All Pro Veteran

09-16-2019, 11:52 AM

(09-16-2019, 11:45 AM)mcmillenandwife Wrote:
(09-16-2019, 11:05 AM)Rollers Wrote: anymore.  I've started his post game presser twice and just can't bring myself to listen anymore.  He's completely lost.  What he says has no connection to reality and he never says anything substantive about the game.  We didn't make the plays,,, we had our chances...  we'll own it    we understand the negativity and the questions he gets from the people at the presser are softballs.  Just lob them up there and accept whatever he says.  I'm done with it

I haven't listened to a Tomlin presser in years. Even when I was still a supporter, I just couldn't take the fluff. It's just the nature of the beast, I suppose. Fluff questions and canned answers. 

I know you don't wanna hear this, but I don't believe poor coaching was the issue today.

I don't believe it was THE issue, but it was certainly AN issue!  It took Seattle about a quarter,  maybe a quarter and a half, to figure out what the Steelers were doing on defense. Adjustments were made (what are those...) and the outcome was what one has come to expect.  Same could be said on the other side of the ball, albeit to a somewhat lesser degree...
(This post was last modified: 09-16-2019, 12:08 PM by bbbooger.)
Chucktownsteeler
Hall of Famer

09-16-2019, 02:11 PM

The plays that changed the game:

1.) The assoholic personal foul (on McCullers, I think) that gave the Hawks a second chance after the defense held them to a FG. Subsequently they went on to score a TD (delta of 4 points, we lost by 2).
2.) The completely inexplicable, yet again miss by Moncrieff that resulted in a interception. The pass was on the money and slipped through this idiots hands for the interception. A possible 14-point swing.
3.) Chickello losing contain and overrunning the play allowing Penney the TD trot up the gut. 7-points given.

The things that must change immediately:
1.) Switzer cut and re-sign Eli Rogers. I think he is still a FA.
2.) Moncrieff cut or placed on IR. If his injury is affecting his play this is on Tomlin. He shouldn't be out there.
3.) The top 3-WR must be: JJSS, Washington, and Johnson.

If Ben is out for any considerable time we are pretty much playing for draft slotting. We still have a legitimate shot at the North, but we'd need to go 6-0 or 5-1.

Next - Minkah, #39!
  [Image: chucktown_sig_pic.jpg]
(This post was last modified: 09-16-2019, 02:11 PM by Chucktownsteeler.)
Rollers
Hall of Famer

09-16-2019, 09:54 PM

It's not about what I don't or do want to hear.  This team is poorly prepared in all phases of the game.  You can say that it is on the players to execute and that's fine but it's also on the coaching staff to get these guys to do what they want them to do.  If it's lack of talent then the coaching staff has something to do with that as well.  They choose who stays and who goes.  Why is Moncrief out there when he dropped 4 balls against New England?  Why did three second team defensive guys play while resting three starters when we needed a stop?  Why is Chickillo out there?  Why is Dupree still out there?  So while coaching wasn't the only issue I still think it was the major issue with what is wrong with this team this year.  Not trying to pick a fight with you but this team is just not prepared to compete in the NFL this year and that's on the coaches as well as the players
Noll and Cowher teams no more
SmashMouth and Blitzburgh!

09-17-2019, 12:54 AM

(09-16-2019, 09:54 PM)Rollers Wrote:

It's not about what I don't or do want to hear.  This team is poorly prepared in all phases of the game.  You can say that it is on the players to execute and that's fine but it's also on the coaching staff to get these guys to do what they want them to do.  If it's lack of talent then the coaching staff has something to do with that as well.  They choose who stays and who goes.  Why is Moncrief out there when he dropped 4 balls against New England?  Why did three second team defensive guys play while resting three starters when we needed a stop?  Why is Chickillo out there?  Why is Dupree still out there?  So while coaching wasn't the only issue I still think it was the major issue with what is wrong with this team this year.  Not trying to pick a fight with you but this team is just not prepared to compete in the NFL this year and that's on the coaches as well as the players

I agree with you, Rollers. Poor coaching with the players they keep and the players they field. No reason what so ever to let Skipper go when he was the most productive guy in preseason and keep Chickillo who has not shown any promise since day 1 of his rookie season. They can argue that Skipper lacked in coverage but I'm sure he can learn by given the chance but that chance is gone. Chickillo's ceiling is met and that ceiling is as high as a ceiling in a dwarfs house.
Switzer was a very poor decision by the coaches to keep over Rogers. At least when Rogers caught the ball it was for more than five yards. Switz keep being compared to Edelman and that comparison stops with height and skin color. After that nothing else to show talent wise. He is king of the two yard catch with no YAC.
Moncrief on the field with bad fingers is a poor choice by coaches while a healthy Washington is standing on the sidelines.

Game preparation followed by the lack of in game adjustments are pathetic. It's like they spend all week on their rehearsed opening drive plays and nothing beyond and if those rehearsed plays go for a three and out then it's pure streetball with no scripted playbook plays with Ben at QB. They were forced to use the dusty playbook with Mason on the field and the offense finally looked like it had rhyme and reason. Once again poor coaching by giving Ben to much freedom. Not a knock on Ben. What player would not want full control. It's a knock on coaches to limit how much control their players have. To much control is a train wreck (see brown and Bell)
mcmillenandwife
Administrator

09-17-2019, 01:14 AM

(09-17-2019, 12:54 AM)Noll and Cowher teams no more Wrote:
(09-16-2019, 09:54 PM)Rollers Wrote: It's not about what I don't or do want to hear.  This team is poorly prepared in all phases of the game.  You can say that it is on the players to execute and that's fine but it's also on the coaching staff to get these guys to do what they want them to do.  If it's lack of talent then the coaching staff has something to do with that as well.  They choose who stays and who goes.  Why is Moncrief out there when he dropped 4 balls against New England?  Why did three second team defensive guys play while resting three starters when we needed a stop?  Why is Chickillo out there?  Why is Dupree still out there?  So while coaching wasn't the only issue I still think it was the major issue with what is wrong with this team this year.  Not trying to pick a fight with you but this team is just not prepared to compete in the NFL this year and that's on the coaches as well as the players

I agree with you, Rollers. Poor coaching with the players they keep and the players they field. No reason what so ever to let Skipper go when he was the most productive guy in preseason and keep Chickillo who has not shown any promise since day 1 of his rookie season. They can argue that Skipper lacked in coverage but I'm sure he can learn by given the chance but that chance is gone. Chickillo's ceiling is met and that ceiling is as high as a ceiling in a dwarfs house.

Switzer was a very poor decision by the coaches to keep over Rogers. At least when Rogers caught the ball it was for more than five yards. Switz keep being compared to Edelman and that comparison stops with height and skin color. After that nothing else to show talent wise. He is king of the two yard catch with no YAC.
Moncrief on the field with bad fingers is a poor choice by coaches while a healthy Washington is standing on the sidelines.

Game preparation followed by the lack of in game adjustments are pathetic. It's like they spend all week on their rehearsed opening drive plays and nothing beyond and if those rehearsed plays go for a three and out then it's pure streetball with no scripted playbook plays with Ben at QB. They were forced to use the dusty playbook with Mason on the field and the offense finally looked like it had rhyme and reason. Once again poor coaching by giving Ben to much freedom. Not a knock on Ben. What player would not want full control. It's a knock on coaches to limit how much control their players have. To much control is a train wreck (see brown and Bell)

Hard to argue with any of this, sadly.
Chucktownsteeler
Hall of Famer

09-17-2019, 02:05 AM

(09-17-2019, 01:14 AM)mcmillenandwife Wrote:
(09-17-2019, 12:54 AM)Noll and Cowher teams no more Wrote:
(09-16-2019, 09:54 PM)Rollers Wrote: It's not about what I don't or do want to hear.  This team is poorly prepared in all phases of the game.  You can say that it is on the players to execute and that's fine but it's also on the coaching staff to get these guys to do what they want them to do.  If it's lack of talent then the coaching staff has something to do with that as well.  They choose who stays and who goes.  Why is Moncrief out there when he dropped 4 balls against New England?  Why did three second team defensive guys play while resting three starters when we needed a stop?  Why is Chickillo out there?  Why is Dupree still out there?  So while coaching wasn't the only issue I still think it was the major issue with what is wrong with this team this year.  Not trying to pick a fight with you but this team is just not prepared to compete in the NFL this year and that's on the coaches as well as the players

Hard to argue with any of this, sadly.

I agree.

Next - Minkah, #39!
Chucktownsteeler
Hall of Famer

09-17-2019, 06:21 AM

Chickello may now be headed to the IR. Connor has a knee.

Googly gambled and thought he ould sneak Skipper through waivers. We did keep him, Dirty Red, Switzer, Big Dan, and Moncrieff though.

Next - Minkah, #39!